Flight upgrades...

22 minutes ago, Chalard said:

MH was offering upgrades a few years ago where you bidded for the seat. Did the minimum bid which was AUS $200 from KL to Melb in Business one way. They accepted that offer. Business was only half full.  Superb...  

VN is doing similar at the moment through an agent in London. Travelling from Bkk to Melb in a couple of months.. Will be interesting to see what happens with them...

Wow you only bidded $200 and you windeded the seat?  That was the luckiested day!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I always get wedged between the fattest smelliest noisiest fuqs on the plane while some tiny women is stretched out on the row of four seats in front of me and sleeps soundly for 20 hours while I beg silently for the plane to nose dive into the ocean.

Sounds like my past economy flights to. But you left out the crying baby sitting directly behind you.

I always get wedged between the fattest smelliest noisiest <deleated> on the plane while some tiny women is stretched out on the row of four seats in front of me and sleeps soundly for 20 hours while I beg silently for the plane to nose dive into the ocean.

Just now, GOLDBUGGY said:

Sounds like my past economy flights to. But you left out the crying baby sitting directly behind you.

I had the crying baby in front with the very loud chatty older brother with the parent laughing in glee as if it was the greatest thing and a Thai guy behind me who must have been reading War and Peace to his friend...out loud for the entire flight without taking a breath.  I know its the engines that make people shout but what is it about planes that make people want to talk for hours on end.  

5 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I had the crying baby in front with the very loud chatty older brother with the parent laughing in glee as if it was the greatest thing and a Thai guy behind me who must have been reading War and Peace to his friend...out loud for the entire flight without taking a breath.  I know its the engines that make people shout but what is it about planes that make people want to talk for hours on end.  

Yep! Been their and done that trip to.

I don't go on any airplane now without Ear Plugs. It is not perfect but it helps a lot.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on this subject, let me try and explain my understanding.

i have beenMarco Polo club member with Cathsy Pacific since 1991, and during that period, I have notched up nearly 800,000 miles with them, and a lot also with their One World partners. I literally alternate year by year between a silver card and the gold card.

now let's look at the procedures airlines adopt   Rightly or wrongly when they accept bookings. It is well known that they overbook economy by 5% as that is generally the number of no shows at check in. When this doesn't happen and every booked passenger turns up, the upgrade system clicks in.

the airline has a record of their frequent flyers, so just for example , they need to make room further up the plane to accommodate the economy passengers that they have overbooked by 5% then it's the frequent card holding flyers that get the benefit , and to be sure, the card status will cone Into effect, green card holders are the lowest, the silver card holders have a better advantage and the gold and sapphire are usually the big winners, and why not , they are the ones who are loyal to the airline.

in Cathay, to get a gold card, you need to acquire 600 points in a calendar year, and that takes a lot of flights. For example a return business class ticket from HK to LHR will bag you 150 ,points.

i really do squirm  with embarrassment when I read that shorts  and flip  flop wearing economy passengers, have the gall to ask for an upgrade even though they do not belong to the frequent flyer programme of the airlines, the height of arrogance.

19 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

Wow you only bidded $200 and you windeded the seat?  That was the luckiested day!

I'm an Enrich Member as well as a Qantas FF for 30 years, so maybe they took pity on an old fart..... lol

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Try Etihad. I joined their membership program and booked a return flight, Kazhakstan to Brisbane in Business Class. They upgraded me to first class on the Abu Dhabi - Brisbane - Abu Dhabi sectors, stating that it was because I was a loyalty member with them. I was smiling both ways as it was the first time i had flown Etihad and i copped an upgrade in both directions

FlyEtihad,Emirates,Qutar and China.

I have no Loyalty. 

Timing and price rule my ticket purchase.

Qatar are looking interesting for my next flight though.

They have a new standard Q Business class.

Flown Singapore business once,the dogs b?llocks, more like I imagine first would be.

14 hours ago, Hedghog said:

I always fly business class.

Never been upgraded to first though.

I have, once on a flight on Cathay Pacific, HK to Bkk. Happened like this:

- I had been flying BKK to HK and return every 14 days for maybe 2 years, in business.

- At last minute they told my Admin. Mgr. in HK they had overbooked Business clas and they were therefore putting my booking back to economy for the flight the next day.

- Unbeknown to me my Admin.Mgr in HK, an upfront HK Chinese lady told them NO, check the history, fix it.

- Cathay called back a few minutes later and said - moved to first class. 

Nice service too, I had always wondered 'how is first class different to business class'. On that flight I quickly saw how it is very different. 

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding on this subject, let me try and explain my understanding.
i have beenMarco Polo club member with Cathsy Pacific since 1991, and during that period, I have notched up nearly 800,000 miles with them, and a lot also with their One World partners. I literally alternate year by year between a silver card and the gold card.
now let's look at the procedures airlines adopt   Rightly or wrongly when they accept bookings. It is well known that they overbook economy by 5% as that is generally the number of no shows at check in. When this doesn't happen and every booked passenger turns up, the upgrade system clicks in.
the airline has a record of their frequent flyers, so just for example , they need to make room further up the plane to accommodate the economy passengers that they have overbooked by 5% then it's the frequent card holding flyers that get the benefit , and to be sure, the card status will cone Into effect, green card holders are the lowest, the silver card holders have a better advantage and the gold and sapphire are usually the big winners, and why not , they are the ones who are loyal to the airline.
in Cathay, to get a gold card, you need to acquire 600 points in a calendar year, and that takes a lot of flights. For example a return business class ticket from HK to LHR will bag you 150 ,points.
i really do squirm  with embarrassment when I read that shorts  and flip  flop wearing economy passengers, have the gall to ask for an upgrade even though they do not belong to the frequent flyer programme of the airlines, the height of arrogance.

Major US airlines are a little different in that even if economy is not full, they will upgrade until they fill every business & first seat with the highest priority FF members.

59 minutes ago, Hedghog said:

FlyEtihad,Emirates,Qutar and China.

I have no Loyalty. 

Timing and price rule my ticket purchase.

Qatar are looking interesting for my next flight though.

They have a new standard Q Business class.

Flown Singapore business once,the dogs b?llocks, more like I imagine first would be.

Agreed, I wouldnt have paid for a First on Etihad and was surprised at how much lower the standard was compared to Emirates First but they were mighty generous to bump me up on my first 2 flights with them. I have flown a lot of business class with Emirates and one return flight with Qatar business was enough to sway me that Qatar is the best of the 3. Singapore airlines business class is always good, even when you end up on silk air its pleasant. 

9 hours ago, luk AJ said:

If this is true, the airline did a bad job, they should always give priority to gold and silver status.

Why?  Then they may expect it. Upgrading has nothing to do with status on airlines but with hotel groups it's different. I think it comes down to a few things but being friendly at the ticket counter has always helped me. Maybe being handsome and charming too lol !

2 hours ago, DipStick said:

Well I guess you didn't read my post. You are wrong.  I think upgrades often happen to myself and others because I often arrive late to the airport. By then they may know economy is full or almost full. As I said I've been upgraded to business in Cathay at least 4 times and the last time I had shorts on and they asked if I had long pants and I went to the mens room and changed  and came back to the counter and got my business class boarding pass Really  "squirm with embarrassment " " the height of arrogance " just that phrase reeks of arrogance. But I can guess where you are from anyways. Gimme a break!  I was not a mileage member with Cathay either.  

I once flew over to Bangkok to pick up my mother in law plus niece and nephew to take them to Hong Kong to visit my wife.  They had already booked seats on Gulf Air but I could only get Business Class due to late booking.

At the airport I couldn't envisage checking them in to Economy Class while I enjoyed the comforts of Business Class so I nervously approached the Business check in desk and asked to be downgraded.  Obviously the woman at check in looked at me as if I was absolutely barmy and asked why.

I explained that I was only there to pick up the family mentioned above and take them to visit my wife in HK.  It was their first time on a plane and, even though my Thai was limited, I felt it better that I sit with them to look after them.  The lady at check in looked at me as if I was a complete angel, smiled wonderfully, and then upgraded the other three to Business Class!

10 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Well I guess you didn't read my post. You are wrong.  I think upgrades often happen to myself and others because I often arrive late to the airport. By then they may know economy is full or almost full. As I said I've been upgraded to business in Cathay at least 4 times and the last time I had shorts on and they asked if I had long pants and I went to the mens room and changed  and came back to the counter and got my business class boarding pass Really  "squirm with embarrassment " " the height of arrogance " just that phrase reeks of arrogance. But I can guess where you are from anyways. Gimme a break!  I was not a mileage member with Cathay either.  

Alex8, either I wrote my piece which  wasn't clear, or I did misunderstand you, if that's the case I apologise. Basically, what I was trying to say was I am embarrassed when checking in, and observing the great unwashed, dirty Chang vest, flip flops and shorts who then openly ask could they be upgraded. This was not you as you did not ask but was offered an upgrade if you could change into something more suitable, the difference is chalk and cheese.

the old trick of delaying your check in until the last minute, is a very dangerous ploy, especially at the likes of Bangkok airport due to the huge immigration issues, however saying that, I believe those days are almost over now as the likely outcome these days would be for the check in staff to find a passenger in the same seat class as you, who is either a card member or known to the airline, they would likely be upgraded and you would be given their seat.

It is also well known that a passenger who has booked a special meal is almost never offered an upgrade as the meal will be packaged for say economy class and could not be served as such in business or first.

so I guess for non airline card members the upgrade issue is very hit and miss.

I was flying military standby once, in uniform, 17 years old, they put me in first class and I sat at the bar there with some wealthy guys who bought me several drinks all for $17. Fresh out of basic training. I was making $110 a month. 

I once flew over to Bangkok to pick up my mother in law plus niece and nephew to take them to Hong Kong to visit my wife.  They had already booked seats on Gulf Air but I could only get Business Class due to late booking.
At the airport I couldn't envisage checking them in to Economy Class while I enjoyed the comforts of Business Class so I nervously approached the Business check in desk and asked to be downgraded.  Obviously the woman at check in looked at me as if I was absolutely barmy and asked why.
I explained that I was only there to pick up the family mentioned above and take them to visit my wife in HK.  It was their first time on a plane and, even though my Thai was limited, I felt it better that I sit with them to look after them.  The lady at check in looked at me as if I was a complete angel, smiled wonderfully, and then upgraded the other three to Business Class!

I was on holiday in the US with my wife and boy. Checking in for the return (Emirates) I was upgraded to business on the LAX - DXB leg. I told the gal checking us in that my wife had never flown business on the A380, and asked that she be upgraded rather than me. Took here a few minutes, but she bumped all three of us, great end to a great trip.

My wife and my daughter and I where going to USA for a holiday,with BA my wife ( a cheeky Scot )

asked for an upgrade, but in the meantime I was looking at a box with BAs charity " orphanage in 

Africa, to which I endorsed mightly, put a fiver in and lo and behold she called someone and we all

where upgraded,longtime ago now but was delighted to say the least..................LOL

I usually fly business on Thai or EVA. Last trip, I flew Emirates in economy. I was upgraded on the DXB-BKK leg, which was very welcome. It was the first time I ever flew with them, and likely the last, but that bit was good.

On 3/16/2017 at 9:22 PM, GOLDBUGGY said:

And add (on Thai), ask for a gin and tonic when drinks being served 30 minutes after take off (the 3rd person to be served) and get the response from the lazy trolley pusher: 'gin finished today'.

• 3 months later...

I was just upgraded from DBX to BKK originating from Manchester. I checked in online the same day but checked in at the airport 3.5 hours before the flight.

I drank 5-7 bottles of red on the MAN-DBX and cannot remember getting off the plane in Dubai. When I went to the gate pretty much straight away, the upgraded me to business, gave me a sick bag and told me to go get a coffee. I don't drink coffee so just sat down nearby. After 10 mins they came over to check if I was ok. I wasn't.

Anyway business was great but I can only think of the early arrival at the airport was the possible reason for the upgrade. I am blue on Emirates and have not been silver for about 4 years when I was upgraded most flights for 1 leg.

I have also been upgraded when I had already chosen Bland meal ahead of time which they asked if I still wanted but I declined.

I am going to try to arrive early at BKK to check the theory but usually find it difficult due to traffic.

Anyone get upgraded from BKK to DBX?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Last year on Emirates I met a couple of young lads who were on their gap year. They were both upgraded to business on the A-380. They loved the experience, trying out all the free drinks at the bar in the on-board business lounge.

Although they were well behaved it got to the point where they were pretty merry. The Emirates hostie behind the had a good solution to this problem, she just left the bar so no one there to serve more drinks.  Poor lads left standing at the bar wondering why they couldn't get another drink.

Quite funny!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The problem with random upgrades is that once one has experienced how much better it is on the other side of the curtain, the misery increases on subsequent (particularly long-haul) flights particularly in Economy.

Indeed. That's why I always just buy my business class ticket outright rather than rely on being upgraded or on bidding for an upgrade in an auction a few days before the flight. I could not stand to be left in economy at the airport. Life is too short.

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The problem with random upgrades is that once one has experienced how much better it is on the other side of the curtain, the misery increases on subsequent (particularly long-haul) flights particularly in Economy.

I can undertand people travelling in economy long haul when they are on a tight budget, Needs must. But it's just not an option for me. And anyway, if you spend a little time doing your research and think outside the box a little, you can often get biz class for not an awful lot more than economy. Last year, I picked up some flights with QR in one of their Festival sales from northern Europe to Swampy return for me and the family for about seven hundred quid apiece, including (seperately booked) positioning flights from the UK.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Indeed. That's why I always just buy my business class ticket outright rather than rely on being upgraded or on bidding for an upgrade in an auction a few days before the flight. I could not stand to be left in economy at the airport. Life is too short.

Earlier this year I booked a BKK-SYD-BKK in Economy and then paid an extra $450 each way nearer the journey dates with Emirates. Its not really a bidding process. The downside is that this upgrade excludes use of the Business Lounge.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

I can undertand people travelling in economy long haul when they are on a tight budget, Needs must. But it's just not an option for me. And anyway, if you spend a little time doing your research and think outside the box a little, you can often get biz class for not an awful lot more than economy. Last year, I picked up some flights with QR in one of their Festival sales from northern Europe to Swampy return for me and the family for about seven hundred quid apiece, including (seperately booked) positioning flights from the UK.

That's pretty cheap. Probably worth a punt. However, doesn't really fit my schedule as I go to BKK via HKG and I just do not want to face an extra 2 flights, staggered or no. With regards to budget I think that PE is a worthwhile compromise if Business too expensive and I have just decided that flying PE with Cathay Pacific is preferable to pratting around with other airlines.