Brass/PVC fitting

luudee

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a fitting like in the attached Picture.

I need a 2 inch piece with the threaded part made from brass, like that smaller 3/4 inch piece.

Any idea where to find such a thing ? Preferably Pattaya and surrounding area, but will consider mail order as well.

Many Thanks,

rudi

PS: I checked all the usual stores in Pattaya ...

fittings.jpg

Edited by luudee

Did you check in the big Global House store outside Pattaya in Rayon or near Satahip? (from what I remember ).

If they don't have it, I'm sure they will order it, if available, but takes a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Arjen. If you pulled the brass section from the PVC, you have applied excessive torque (overloaded the brass / PVC interface) use a lot less muscle power or  a shorter pipe wrench. 

Edited by Artisi

I haven't seen a 2 inch version of that pvc/brass fitting anywhere - but I haven't been looking specifically.

Hardware House, Ban Amphur (East side of Sukhumvit road, not far past Ambassador City Hotel) has a good range of PVC fittings. Back of the store on the far left.

Can I ask why you need a brass fitting.

Edited by chickenslegs

On 3/16/2017 at 3:47 PM, chickenslegs said:

Can I ask why you need a brass fitting.

It goes into a Pump. The pump (self-priming) might get a bit warm at

times, which causes the PVC thread ending to shrink and pop out.

I'm open to other ideas ...  (picture attached)

Thanks,

rudi

fitting2.jpg

52 minutes ago, luudee said:

It goes into a Pump. The pump (self-priming) might get a bit warm at

times, which causes the PVC thread ending to shrink and pop out.

I'm open to other ideas ...  (picture attached)

Thanks,

rudi

fitting2.jpg

I have 2 Hayward pumps, each with the same 'male' blue pvc fitting as yours. Never had a problem with popping out.

If you don't find the 2" brass/pvc fitting maybe some better quality (thicker) PTFE tape would solve the problem.

33 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I have 2 Hayward pumps, each with the same 'male' blue pvc fitting as yours. Never had a problem with popping out.

If you don't find the 2" brass/pvc fitting maybe some better quality (thicker) PTFE tape would solve the problem.

Ok, thanks, Chicken !  I will try one more time a PVC fitting !

rudi

You could also try a higher grade of pipe. I think there are 3 grades in Thailand. The corner shop grade, 8.5 grade and 13.5 grade. (I think it's 13.5). The pipe and fittings are thicker in the higher grade.

You have to make sure that the higher grade fitting will fit into the pump. Some fittings you cannot use 13.5 grade as will not fit.

Try and buy an 8.5 and 13.5 grade threaded bit for the pump and see which one fits.

The pipe glue should be good quality glue, and it is recommended (though I haven't ever done it) to use a pvc pipe cleaner, like nail polish remover to make for a better joint. (Many members are experts on pipes and fittings, so I could be corrected)

If it get warm, the PVC thread should not shrink, opposite.
Put a bit more white tape and screw it fully in, more as on the pic.
Yes, there different quality of the glue, I'm very happy with the Thai-Pipe brand. I'm not cleaning with pipe cleaner, but I always sanding the pipe with sanding papers, so the glue can stick better.

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

You could also try a higher grade of pipe. I think there are 3 grades in Thailand. The corner shop grade, 8.5 grade and 13.5 grade. (I think it's 13.5). The pipe and fittings are thicker in the higher grade.

You have to make sure that the higher grade fitting will fit into the pump. Some fittings you cannot use 13.5 grade as will not fit.

Try and buy an 8.5 and 13.5 grade threaded bit for the pump and see which one fits.

The pipe glue should be good quality glue, and it is recommended (though I haven't ever done it) to use a pvc pipe cleaner, like nail polish remover to make for a better joint. (Many members are experts on pipes and fittings, so I could be corrected)

Thanks, Carl. Yes, I am aware of two different grades, as you explained. I am exclusively using the 13.5 (thicker) version.

rudi

55 minutes ago, leyali said:

If it get warm, the PVC thread should not shrink, opposite.
Put a bit more white tape and screw it fully in, more as on the pic.
Yes, there different quality of the glue, I'm very happy with the Thai-Pipe brand. I'm not cleaning with pipe cleaner, but I always sanding the pipe with sanding papers, so the glue can stick better.

We have tried various amount of the Teflon tape, trying to put as little on as possible, but

still maintaining the seal.

It is screwed in pretty much to the end. This actually brings up a good point. The PVC fitting

has a bit of "dead area" before the thread begins. I am considering to cut that off ...

rudi

I would use a 2" PVC female threaded fitting and a 2" male-to-male threaded in iron or brass. That should provide some thermal isolation, or even get a length made up in iron pipe.

That said, all our pumps have plain PVC threaded into them (with loads of tape of course) and I've never had an issue with things popping out.

If your pump is getting warm enough to damage the PVC there's something awry with the pump.

4 hours ago, luudee said:

We have tried various amount of the Teflon tape, trying to put as little on as possible, but

still maintaining the seal.

It is screwed in pretty much to the end. This actually brings up a good point. The PVC fitting

has a bit of "dead area" before the thread begins. I am considering to cut that off ...

rudi

Throw away "the book" when using PTFE tape on fittings here, more is better, much as it goes against my training! I apply the tape, then screw the union in by hand, remove, then reapply tape, each time using far more than what would be considered "normal" most times I get a good seal!

Irrespective of pipe grade, the outside diameter of the pipe is the same therefore all fittings have the same dimensions. 

Well that may be true, but evidently, I can't fit 13.5 grade pipe to my pool water fittings as they won't fit. I have to use 8.5 grade through the pool walls, to connect to the pool fittings or they won't fit.
So, to me, there is something about the thickness of the pipe that has a bearing on what fittings fit.

I haven't received all my pool parts yet, so I can't say from experience, just from advice received.

37 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Well that may be true, but evidently, I can't fit 13.5 grade pipe to my pool water fittings as they won't fit. I have to use 8.5 grade through the pool walls, to connect to the pool fittings or they won't fit.
So, to me, there is something about the thickness of the pipe that has a bearing on what fittings fit.

I haven't received all my pool parts yet, so I can't say from experience, just from advice received.

Not sure what your are on about, PVC pipe irrespective of the  pressure rating has the same O. D., the pressure rating is a function of the wall thickness resulting in a smaller I.D.

Not sure what your are on about, PVC pipe irrespective of the  pressure rating has the same O. D., the pressure rating is a function of the wall thickness resulting in a smaller I.D.

Yes, thanks, then it must be the ID that causes a problem with the pool fittings.

As you say regardless of the thickness that won't affect the connection to the pump. Anyway, he's using 13.5 grade already.[emoji3]