Park Lane or Lalana Condo?

Munich

Hi to all,

We (my wife) have bought some property in Thailan in the past and are looking forward to purchase another condo in Jomtien (where we also have a house). We would like to spent up to 2 Mill. Not more.

After checking I see Park Lane or Lalana as my favorites.

Is anybody of you living in one of these properties and can give me some input?!

We are not thinking of renting it out at the moment, just fed up with 0 percent interest rate on my bank account in Germany. Maybe we keep it for some visitors/friends/family.

Thx

Munich

most of the Lalana condos are damp and have developed fungus (auf deutsch: Schimmel).  At least two of the swimmingpools are not well cared for (greenish water, algae bloom) and the whole place is just falling apart. The rooms are shoeboxes. We were there in 2013 because we wanted to rent, we checked 6 different rooms, we found nothing worth renting. Today, 4 years later, I don't think anything has improved.

Park Lane is more new, more ligthly built, seems to be a bit more attractive. Also, Park Lane is well frequented, indicating that condo owners there are present and the place is being taken care of by its management.

If I had 3,5 million to invest, I would buy a condo in either View Talay 5 C or D at Dongtan Beach. 

I own a place in Park Lane, it is not perfect but it is fairly well run by Thai standards and the maintenance fee is reasonable.

I would avoid the units that face out onto the 'market bar' area if you want to get some sleep before 2am because they are noisy until those beer bar's shut. I would also not get a unit too low down facing the swimming pool if you don't like noisy kids in the daytime.

Some units are let on a short term bases on booking.com, airbnb etc so sometimes there are a few annoying people staying short term who do not care about the condo rules and other residents (I am not going to say what country they come from but you can guess) but most of the owner occupiers and longer term tenants are OK.

I am in a higher unit in the front building and it is fine.

The onsite resturant is decent and can deliver to your room which is a nice feature.

Not sure if I would bother buying here (or anywhere else in Thailand) for a pure investment unless you got in way below the market price but I bought on the basis of wanting a reasonably priced base in the area and I am happy enough with my purchase.

Hope that helps.

Edited by jay1980

Thx to all,
Thenonl reason for buying something in Jomtien/Pattaya is our house in Jomtien that we want to use as a retirement base, so taking care of a condo in another city wont give you a headache.
We have been living on BKK before and we loved it - but prices had been exploding.
As we do not plan to live in the new condo, I consider a studio the better option as it makes the condo look bigger.
I will also try to buy on a higher floor to avoid the noise from pool.
As negative comments about lalana condos are adding up, I will visit Park Lane on my next visit.
Anybody has an idea about the running costs in Park Lane?

Again thx to all
Munich

One thing to consider about Park Lane is the size of the balconys, they are very small, you can barely fit a chair on one. Have you thought about Paradise Park or Amazon next door, built by the same company. Very similar and a little newer, around the same price. Paradise Park is well run by a private condo management company.

Lalana is 20 + years old and was let go for a few years, some westerners are now on the committee and are turning it around, the condo fees are very cheap. I am familiar with both the blocks you mention and amazon etc, PM if you have any questions.

Edited by Peterw42

I can only agree, in the Park Lane area you have two other condos built by the same developer , Paradise Park and Amazon,  they are newer and with bigger balconies . You can buy a unit for 1.2 mill up to 2 mill depending on size, 

[quote post="11722378" timestamp="1489842501" name="Munich" userid="47664"
Anybody has an idea about the running costs in Park Lane?

Condo fee about 11000 baht per year, cable TV 3500 baht if you want it(i dont bother because i only watch IPTV), i pay between 300 and 500baht a month for electric when i am there depending on the season​, government rates (but i am not a heavily Aircon user) and about 180 baht a month for water (including running a washing machine and a showering a couple of times a day) which paid via the condo management.

I have my own dedicated tot internet which i pay 609 baht a month for but there is a cheaper WiFi service also.

I agree the balconies are small, just about big enough for the air con compressors and to dry some clothes, not good for sitting on the balcony, but the communal pool area is pleasant to sit when it is not too busy.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

With a budget of 2MB I would consider Lumpini Park Beach on Jomtien Beach Road--also has an entrance on Second Road.  Newer than the 2 complexes that you mentioned.  You could probably get a 32sqm 1 bedroom seaview unit for around that price with a good floorplan and nice size balcony.  Condo fee is a reasonable 20 baht a sqm and Park Beach has 2 big pools, nice gym, library, sky lounge, garage parking, beautiful grounds, laundry rooms, sauna, big lobbies, ample elevators, and right on the  beach.  Baht bus runs on right out front on Beach Road.  Lumpini does a nice job of maintaining and managing their properties and Park Beach has a rental office that will rent your condo should you ever want to rent it. Worth a look, I think.

Newnative, thx for your feedback. Checking Lumpini Park on the net, I just find the location worth a look. 32 sqm with seperate bedroom seem to be a shoebox. I think I will stick to an older condo projekt with arround 40m sqm for arround 1,8 and spend 200 k for renovation. But you are right, - location is the first point to consider. On the other side I bought a big house in Huay Yai with pool that would cost me triple in Jomtien between seaside and Sukhumvit. 15 min. drive is okay for me.
I will post some photos and tell you about my condo hunting soon.

Munich

Unless you have your own transportation I agree. But Park Lane is 800 meter from beach rd so its possible to walk. When I lived in that area I took my bicycle to the beach and parked and continued with baht bus.

16 hours ago, balo said:

Unless you have your own transportation I agree. But Park Lane is 800 meter from beach rd so its possible to walk. When I lived in that area I took my bicycle to the beach and parked and continued with baht bus.

Even if you have a bike/car do you really want to be driving when you go out for a drink at night. If so your stay will be very short.

5 hours ago, Henryford said:

Even if you have a bike/car do you really want to be driving when you go out for a drink at night. If so your stay will be very short.

Not everyone are heavy drinkers, I only used a bicycle. Also there is a free shuttle bus that leaves every hour until 8 pm.

Edited by balo

On 20/03/2017 at 2:01 PM, balo said:

Not everyone are heavy drinkers, I only used a bicycle. Also there is a free shuttle bus that leaves every hour until 8 pm.

Best of luck bringing your thai girlfriend/barfine home on the back of a bicycle.

36 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Best of luck bringing your thai girlfriend/barfine home on the back of a bicycle.

LOL , its 5 minutes to walk from Beach Rd.  Or just take one of the motobike taxis like most Thais do .