Calling it a day on Pattaya....

Cirencester

This thread appears to be trying to get traction as a good old pattaya bashing thread, but everyone appears not quiet sure what they are complaining about. Too much sex tourism, not enough sextourism, the good old days, the price of beer etc. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gathered yesterday afternoon at our local Pattaya watering hole where the current owner, married to a local lass, condo owner and has been in business here for the best part of 20 years. He goes back to the UK every year in April for a month's "reality check" and avoid Songkran. He's from London but will be buying his retirement home somewhere in Wales where his £ goes a lot further. Like myself, a fellow party animal from way, way back, he was lamenting the changes in Pattaya compared when we were all legends back in the 1980's.

Another guy has got married after maybe 10 or 12 years playing the field and is selling the Jomtien condo and taking his wife back to the US in the summer, for good. He prefers Bangkok to Pattaya and says he will miss the former but not the latter. His party time was maybe 10 - 12 years after ours above but he had a blast regardless of an 'changes'.

Another guy, a hard party animal when we first met him 5 years ago, got married about 2 years ago and now has a kid. Has taken them back to Scotland twice in the interim and his wife loved it and the long-term plan is to milk the cash cow, oil patch job he currently has in Angola but resettle his family in Scotland some time in the next 5 years and work from there. His idea of fun was in places that myself and the other 2 guys mentioned above never went near since the 'changes' weren't to our liking.

Last man at the table yesterday was a Canadian, mid- 30's, divorced father of one and on his first ever Thailand/Pattaya adventure. Came over from Hua Hin 10 days ago on the ferry where he had been visiting some friends who in turn were long-term, former Pattaya residents who had moved over that side. They went back to Hua Hin and he stayed and partied like there was no manana. He will be back as he reckons it is the best place on earth for the red-blooded male. This despite the things that he liked to do being anything similar to what the rest of us wanted to do with the possible exception of the Scot who had only been living the life the past 5 years.

Everyone had a great time doing what they did at the time. Pattaya has continuously evolved and changed and visitors embrace whatever is current. Visitors will still find something that appeals to them or they find it a turn off and never venture back. The above vignette of 4 guys who liked it and stayed (or will be staying) indicates that Pattaya isn't dead yet but all bets are off that we will be around in another 10 years to see if any 'first timers' are having a ball.

15 hours ago, Cirencester said:

Think one or two misunderstood my post (my fault)

Am not looking at other areas in Pattaya per se. Have just got bored of the bar scene and if you wanted to tip me over the edge lol telling me to go New Plaza drinking will do it nicely. You need vaccinations before making incursions into that area

Snooky and Bali mentioned. Doesnt anyone else in middle age feel that the vibe has changed (not overnight) but the very essence of Boy meets Girl of late 80,s early 90's has long gone as it was. Internet of course huge part to play.  Theres a nationality of people here that are quite frankly disgusting in manners, appearance, incapable of washing and God knows what else.

Hordes of them all over the beach concession lady for Coconuts today with her politely saying they are 50 Baht each with them time after time saying 3 for 100.....in the end I stood up and politely said to them they are 50 Baht EACH either buy them or go somewhere else...... Good 12 of them now handing over their 50 Bahts. Embarrassing for all around. Italian guy besides me said well done mate.

I feel your pain....have been counting the days until my escape.....just pure shi*t storm lately...and not getting any better.....lol....???

I really think you should try Chiang Mai. I've been here 3 years and it's a great place to live. Friendly people - even ex-pats - and everything you want you can find, once you know here to look, nudge nudge. Fantastic cheap markets, many, many eating places, and overall one of the best cities in Thailand.  Yes, there are a few off-putters - no sea, some air pollution in March, but little this year,  town traffic is heavy, and minimum night life for younger males. Overall though, for oldies, it's just the ticket.  

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

This thread appears to be trying to get traction as a good old pattaya bashing thread, but everyone appears not quiet sure what they are complaining about. Too much sex tourism, not enough sextourism, the good old days, the price of beer etc. 

With stuff like this  from the op .

yes it is a  pattaya bashing type thread.

Spend a lot of nights in Hotel now just watch decent movie

There is loads to do in this town for all types. :jap:

Edited by onemorechang

I looked at Phnom Penh for some fifteen years. Never could or did feel welcomed below the tourist facade. In additon, below this facade there is nothing to do mostly because very few people have any money. 

In Pattaya you are part of a huge farang community which varies in class and stature. Pattaya remains one of the few inexpensive places on earth with running water, sewer, and dependable hydro. 

If you have money, you can do much better. Real money. If you don't, you can do much worse than Pattaya. To each his very own. 

If you're used to the bars and bar-complexes in the Sois off Beach Road.....they will disappear over the years to come.

The entire "Happy Zone" in between South Pattaya Road, North Pattaya Road, 2nd Road and the Beach will gradually move to the direction of Soi Bhuakow where the "New Happy Zone" will be created in between South Pattaya Road, Central Pattaya Road, 2nd Road and 3rd Road. 

And in 20 years the "Dark Side" will shine as never before.........

Ok....back to sleep!! :passifier:

2 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

If you're used to the bars and bar-complexes in the Sois off Beach Road.....they will disappear over the years to come.

The entire "Happy Zone" in between South Pattaya Road, North Pattaya Road, 2nd Road and the Beach will gradually move to the direction of Soi Bhuakow where the "New Happy Zone" will be created in between South Pattaya Road, Central Pattaya Road, 2nd Road and 3rd Road. 

And in 20 years the "Dark Side" will shine as never before.........

Ok....back to sleep!! :passifier:

Makes sense except the zone you refer to is already full and happy? I don't see it moving past 3rd Road as too far to walk, as well as too dangerous, not to mention all the major investment in the "Happy Zone". Let the market dictate it all, not members here. As for the Dark Side, it's doomed. No appeal to normal folks who just want to drink and feel like they are on holiday the rest of their lives. Getting married to a different barlady, one who just started working in the bar the night you met her etc., is full of endless emergencies back in the village, all of them financially intertwined with your love and devotion to her. 

16 hours ago, londoedan said:

Bali is nice.  Spread your wings a bit.

Don't let the secret out londoedan!!

Bali anytime for me.  I get away  from the Idiots on the south coast, Kuta to Canggu, and just love It..... still, after almost 40 years, 100+ visits, and living there for a year.

Went out last night after giving myself a good slapping and did what I do best...... Smile, joke with the Girls as if its your first trip and this morning I've woken up with a creature that is quite delightful (and not joking very pretty). I vaguely remember BFing for 2 nights.... Said she was 24 but looks about 14 so had to ger her ID card out which proves the former.

All is good with the World again.....

Nothing to see here lol

Many of the reasons that Pattaya has lost its appeal is that it is way overbuilt- and the sheer number of tourists have ruined it.  The Thais who operate in the city have become complacent and the girls are as fake as on can ever get. It used to be that there was warmth exhibited by the girls even though it was all about money. Now I don't see the warmth and I see more of the phony smiles and the utter greed that is exhibited.

This is not true in other parts of Thailand where one can still find genuine smiles.

If you want to stay in Pattaya- go ahead- but if you learn to speak Thai and truly understand this country- you will find out that Pattaya is not fun at all but simply a bunch of actors immersed in a play to get your money. The reason newbies to Pattaya think it's great is simply because they don't know how to spot the deception.

29 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Don't let the secret out londoedan!!

Bali anytime for me.  I get away  from the Idiots on the south coast, Kuta to Canggu, and just love It..... still, after almost 40 years, 100+ visits, and living there for a year.

Did you just say you like to get away from the Australians. ?

I can understand that,   it's ok  :thumbsup:

OP it seems you are bothered by the type of foreign tourists and perhaps expats that are predominate in Pattaya which are people from GB without beating around the bush. You are encountering smelly, baht pinching,  tattooed everywhere, singlet wearing drunks around places you remembered having less of that from your post. You also comment on the girl scene not being nearly the same and also you not wanting that scene as much. I think you should just try out Hua Hin for awhile the tourists there are mainly from Norway, Sweden, some Danish and a nice mix of other Euros, Americans and Canadians etc. Things are quieter but there is a bar area and a little girlie bar area. The beach is cleaner and you can swim in it and a little  farther away are even cleaner beaches, there are supermarkets, malls  and theaters and tons of restaurants etc. It's really not bad and much more peaceful that Pats. The crowd would be much more to your liking. It's still Thailand too and you can easily take a train to BKK or a boat every once in awhile back to Pattaya. I would go there and if I were you I would skip the Spanish coast based on your comments but maybe try Greece. Good luck. Change is good ? 

agree- the tourists represented in Pattaya are quite disgusting- not only in their attire but their attitude and use of constant vulgarity in their speech. There is so much absolute rudeness exhibited toward the Thais it is no wonder they adopt the same mannerisms. Mass  tourism has destroyed Pattaya and that is why the Junta is trying to change the feel of the area by cracking down on the bar scene and trying to gentrify the place.

I wish them luck- frankly, I believe the place is unsalvageable and will eventually die a natural death- no business.

As one of the posters mentioned- Hua Hin is a much nicer place with more genuine Thai culture and smiles. The tourists are better mannered and this reflects on the local population. You give respect- you get respect.

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

OP it seems you are bothered by the type of foreign tourists and perhaps expats that are predominate in Pattaya which are people from GB without beating around the bush. You are encountering smelly, baht pinching,  tattooed everywhere, singlet wearing drunks around places you remembered having less of that from your post. You also comment on the girl scene not being nearly the same and also you not wanting that scene as much. I think you should just try out Hua Hin for awhile the tourists there are mainly from Norway, Sweden, some Danish and a nice mix of other Euros, Americans and Canadians etc. Things are quieter but there is a bar area and a little girlie bar area. The beach is cleaner and you can swim in it and a little  farther away are even cleaner beaches, there are supermarkets, malls  and theaters and tons of restaurants etc. It's really not bad and much more peaceful that Pats. The crowd would be much more to your liking. It's still Thailand too and you can easily take a train to BKK or a boat every once in awhile back to Pattaya. I would go there and if I were you I would skip the Spanish coast based on your comments but maybe try Greece. Good luck. Change is good ? 

The tatt brigade are all from the UK as you say. Indulge me if you're a Brit and reading and your arms are painted green and black. When you see these sleeve tattoos on an A4 sheet does it enter your head that a third party when viewing it "in situ" sees only around 140/150 degrees of it at best  ??  Inotherwards its looks a blob of nothing lol

I will say now I have 3 Tatts myself all high up on arms and back before someone says I'm tatt bashing

Actually the tourists that I mentioned are from what I call the sub continent. Am not naming them outright but certainly not Chinese......Disgusting cheap charlie animals and thats pretty polite

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

agree- the tourists represented in Pattaya are quite disgusting- not only in their attire but their attitude and use of constant vulgarity in their speech. There is so much absolute rudeness exhibited toward the Thais it is no wonder they adopt the same mannerisms. Mass  tourism has destroyed Pattaya and that is why the Junta is trying to change the feel of the area by cracking down on the bar scene and trying to gentrify the place.

Which would be nonsense, as in most cases those rude tourists are Russians, Indians, Middle Eastern and Chinese Mainlanders, who rarely frequent what you call the "Bar scene"

2 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

Which would be nonsense, as in most cases those rude tourists are Russians, Indians, Middle Eastern and Chinese Mainlanders, who rarely frequent what you call the "Bar scene"

Have to say I wouldnt put Russians in that group. Always seem polite to me. The other 3 groups yes especially the first !!

6 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

But the ones that DO go to the "Bar Scene" and use vulgarities constantly and are tatted out to the max are mainly from where?  Russians are often with their wives/ kids/ girlfriends I find and actually are an ok bunch in Pattaya. 

Actually, the tourists I was referring to are Western tourists who are mostly foul mouthed; drunk and disorderly; exhibiting disgusting and rude behavior to each other and even worse to the local Thais. Then throw in the way they are dressed and their lack of hygiene and you start to understand why the locals are disgusted with the tourist crowd. The bar scene has gotten worse over the years because those that work there have adopted the same attitude as their customers. No respect shown on either side.

As I mentioned mass tourism has destroyed Pattaya and it will continue so until the Thai Government is able to drive the sex scene out or to other places. Their goal is to turn the place into a more family oriented destination and a haven for middle to upper class Thais. The bar scene will eventually move out or die a natural death. It exists for the money but when the customers dry up- there will be no reason for its existence.

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I went last year to check it out.  Phnom Penh, Snooky, Kampot.  PP is a mess.  Great if you like cheap drugs.  I wasn't impressed.  Snooky was fair, but small and the beach area is really spread out along a dirt road.  OK, but just.  Kampot was nice, but very small.  Not much to do.  Health care is a big deal.  You get sick or hurt, you are in trouble there.  Corruption is way worse, trash is everywhere, as are drugs.  We had a guy OD in the hotel next to us.  Found the body after it'd been there for quite a few days.  Right next to us!  Yuck.

Not for me.

The accommodation in Cambodia is also absolutely horrendous. People tell me they have a nice place to stay there. You go and look and it is some long, skinny, she house with barely a kitchen or bathroom.

they do not have anything remotely civilized to live in Cambodia. There are a few modern places sprouting up but they are more expensive than what you would pay for better in Bangkok.

Architecture and interior design seems to be none existent over there. I tried to like Cambodia and stayed there 6 months but it is simply a hell hole.

FWIW if you have the money and can get a visa I would move to a Greek island tomorrow. Why waste your time in Pattaya? It isn't just age as people are suggesting Pattaya is getting noticeably worse as is most of Thailand.

2 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

I've been here 10 yrs too and when I mention coming back to NZ (KatiKati) to my mates over there they put me off with rising prices----cars houses food---- so I think I stay where I am,and I am happy

Let's face it, the whole world has changed in the last 10-20 years. It doesn't matter where you are or where you go to, it's different world. People, particularly younger ones, but also middle aged, behave differently, dress differently and with the new means of communication, the world is changing rapidly. Look around, wherever you go and at times , I am sure, you will feel you live in a different, better or worse, world. I am not young and at times I wish I were 10-15 years younger, but then when I look around, I say to myself, thanks God I'm my age, as this is really not a world I could or would want to be younger in.

I think you lot are mad

This is a great town,  always something for everyone,      you  just got to go look.

Even a Catholic Priest could have a good time in Pattaya.

Oh,  maybe not  the best analogy !!!!!!!!  :giggle:

pope-rock-funny-picture-819188.jpg

Edited by onemorechang

6 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Let's face it, the whole world has changed in the last 10-20 years. It doesn't matter where you are or where you go to, it's different world. People, particularly younger ones, but also middle aged, behave differently, dress differently and with the new means of communication, the world is changing rapidly. Look around, wherever you go and at times , I am sure, you will feel you live in a different, better or worse, world. I am not young and at times I wish I were 10-15 years younger, but then when I look around, I say to myself, thanks God I'm my age, as this is really not a world I could or would want to be younger in.

Some places have actually changed for the better. Thailand with no rules on development or environmental protection in place is definitely not one of those places.

As Greece has been mentioned several times I took one of the Boys to one of the Greek islands in 2015.....It was the first time I had been anywhere but Thailand in 23 years. I had forgotten what it was like. Absolutely loved it

Lovely people, clean and Bouzouki music instead of that Issan garbage.

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

Did you just say you like to get away from the Australiinns. ?

I can understand that,   it's ok  :thumbsup:

Behaving badly Is not an exclusively Australian trait, but they are a little more obvious  In Bali because they represent about a quarter of the total tourist numbers.

But I do avoid Australians In Bali.... and Brits, and Americans, and Europeans, etc.

Most seem to leave their undersized brains at their departure airports, similarly those who visit places like Phuket, Pattaya, etc.

Been a frequent visitor here for 15 years and now living here, yes its changed, yes its filled with more idiots than ever but would I return to UK...NO...would I spend my holidays in Spain/Greece...NO... would I start to dip my toe into travel into other ASEAN areas...YES

PS - I was born in Cirencester and although its a lovely Roman Town in an idyllic part of the Cotswolds its still Blighty.......shit weather, expensive, a government that punishes me for hard work with a well paid job so then rapes me in tax and provides it to the eastern European spongers (sorry the rest of you eastern crew who go to UK to work under the system and support the tax) .....me bitter?....no, just happy to remain here in Thailand and mutter under my breath when I see the numpty tours, bad driving and the way Farang are all expected to be loaded in the eyes of the locals.....lol

Oh well, back to imported tea and guessing when we are going to get the rain judging by the cloud that's heading my way......

15 minutes ago, Cirencester said:

As Greece has been mentioned several times I took one of the Boys to one of the Greek islands in 2015.....It was the first time I had been anywhere but Thailand in 23 years. I had forgotten what it was like. Absolutely loved it

Lovely people, clean and Bouzouki music instead of that Issan garbage.

Yeah not sure why anybody who can get a visa wouldn't live there instead? 

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I really think you should try Chiang Mai. I've been here 3 years and it's a great place to live. Friendly people - even ex-pats - and everything you want you can find, once you know here to look, nudge nudge. Fantastic cheap markets, many, many eating places, and overall one of the best cities in Thailand.  Yes, there are a few off-putters - no sea, some air pollution in March, but little this year,  town traffic is heavy, and minimum night life for younger males. Overall though, for oldies, it's just the ticket.  

Can't wait to leave the place.