PM May starts UK tour before pulling Brexit trigger

webfact

PM May starts UK tour before pulling Brexit trigger

REUTERS

r12.jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May attends a news conference during the EU Summit in Brussels, Belgium, March 9, 2017. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May will visit Wales on Monday as part of a plan to engage with all the nations of the United Kingdom before she formally launches Britain's departure from the European Union.

May is due to trigger Article 50 of the EU's Lisbon Treaty, beginning two years of formal divorce talks, by the end of this month, and her office said she would be visiting Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland to hear people's views.

Last year's Brexit referendum exposed splits that could threaten the unity of the UK, with Scotland and Northern Ireland delivering pro-EU majorities but finding themselves outvoted by the English and Welsh, who were in favour of leaving the bloc.

In a sharp challenge to May, Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said last week she would be pushing for a fresh independence vote after having been met by "a brick wall of intransigence" in London when seeking for Scotland to have its own Brexit deal. May rebuffed that, saying now was not the right time.

Northern Ireland's largest Irish nationalist party Sinn Fein has also said it wants a referendum on splitting from the United Kingdom "as soon as possible" to unite with the Republic of Ireland.

On Monday May and Brexit minister David Davis will meet with Welsh First Minister Carwyn Jones and business representatives to discuss how Wales can make the most of opportunities offered by Brexit, her office said.

"From my first day ... I made clear my determination to strengthen and sustain the precious union. I have also been clear that as we leave the European Union I will work to deliver a deal that works for the whole of the UK," May said in a statement before the visit.

"I want every part of the United Kingdom to be able to make the most of the opportunities ahead and for Welsh businesses to benefit from the freest possible trade as part of a global trading nation."

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; Editing by Mark Trevelyan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-20

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

She should wind up the wicked witch of the north by just visiting Wales and NI. :whistling:

Or give a list of regional and council leaders she'll be visiting.

One thing about the SNP and their supporters. There delusions of grandeur are indeed grand!

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

She should wind up the wicked witch of the north by just visiting Wales and NI. :whistling:

....and firing the starting gun during a live news broadcast with Edinburgh Castle as a backdrop :smile:

Edited by evadgib

Oh for god's sake - really??

Surely better to enact article 50 and then go on the tour to re-assure Wales/N. Ireland/Scotland!

Or does she still think the populace have tremendous faith in politicians' promises....?

Edit - I just don't get the point in delaying enacting article 50 until after the 'tour' and it makes me suspicious as to the reason behind yet another delaying tactic.  But then again, I've always admitted that I'm v cynical about the motives behind anything and everything when it comes to politicians and big business :sad:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Maybe she is going to seek guidance on how exactly to approach Brexit!  It would go something like "I am going to trigger article 50 but was wondering if anyone had any idea how to negotiate a good deal because as sure as EU eggs are EU eggs we haven't got a clue!"

2 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Maybe she is going to seek guidance on how exactly to approach Brexit!  It would go something like "I am going to trigger article 50 but was wondering if anyone had any idea how to negotiate a good deal because as sure as EU eggs are EU eggs we haven't got a clue!"

Yes, I'm sure she is taking the tour to solicit advice.  Obviously it would be easier if those countries' representatives saw her in Westminster - but she is desperate and so having to do this tour :saai:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, who could have known there wasn't total unity.

scottish.jpg.f3fbe05296d3cb3536118a3b028ec754.jpg

ira.jpg.542443f19e68d020f55f9aaf575e0d02.jpg

This has always been so. For the last 350 years of the union in fact. Britiain is not just a union of countries, it's a union of people. To be British is an identity which has survived countless conflicts and strife over the centuries which have been much larger and dangerous to the union than this brexit or Scottish nationalist.

38 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

This has always been so. For the last 350 years of the union in fact. Britiain is not just a union of countries, it's a union of people. To be British is an identity which has survived countless conflicts and strife over the centuries which have been much larger and dangerous to the union than this brexit or Scottish nationalist.

A real Union of people: 

The "Peace" Line (keeping Protestants and Catholics separated) along Springmartin Road in Belfast, with a fortified police station at one end.

58cfa9f2f3676_Peace_Line_Belfast_-_geograph_-_1254138.jpg.168db6605efd3b935d1edb966fe8ffaa.jpg

Peace lines - Wikipedia

"The peace lines or peace walls are a series of border barriers in Northern Ireland that separate Catholic and Protestant neighbourhoods. They have been built at urban interface areas in Belfast, Derry, Portadown and elsewhere. The stated purpose of the peace lines is to minimise inter-communal violence between Catholics (most of whom are nationalists who self-identify as Irish) and Protestants (most of whom are unionists who self-identify as British)."

"In January 2012, the International Fund for Ireland launched a Peace Walls funding programme to support local communities who want to work towards beginning to remove the peace walls. In May 2013, the Northern Ireland Executive committed to the removal of all peace lines by mutual consent by 2023"

Unfortunately the world has changed a lot since 2013.

The "tour" will provide a wonderful opportunity for "the people" to demonstrate that (throughout the realm).

Edited by Enoon

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

But she IS the wicked witch of the South!

The many Likes I have on my post compared with the none you have suggests I kind of hit the nail on the head. Even if you are an ardent nationalistic, Sweaty xenophobe, one would have to agree she (the fish woman) is a bit of a evil sorceress.