Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

4 hours ago, tazly said:

The happy hour brekkie is the cheapest in town......

Do you get up early to have cheap brekkies at Took Lae Dee? ... or is that before you sleep?

Edited by tropo

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/20/2017 at 8:28 AM, tazly said:

You just need to overload it with some bird chillies...to make sure all the food comes out the right end......bird chillies are to street food, like tugboats are to oil tankers....

I had a crazy Pollack buddy from Buffalo, NY with a Thai wife here in the US (RIP) who worked for Philip Morris, the tobacco company.  He would enter the chili contest every year at a picnic.  His recipe was called "Asian Afterburner", LOL. 

10 hours ago, tazly said:

you seem to know so post the comparative info

Don't know. From the article it seems the happy hour price is 62 Baht? Sailor Bar probably around the same (was 60 Baht in 2013 and might have gone up).

Went to FL yesterday and as always I started with a quick meal at TL.......chicken curry Indian style with rice for 94 baht. 

TL takes about half of the total surface of FL and the product range is almost as at the Central Pattaya FL. 

Only downside is the parking; it may take some walking with your groceries to either your car or motorbike. 

4 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I had a crazy Pollack buddy from Buffalo, NY with a Thai wife here in the US (RIP) who worked for Philip Morris, the tobacco company.  He would enter the chili contest every year at a picnic.  His recipe was called "Asian Afterburner", LOL. 

Was the RIP for the Pole, Thai wife or USA?

Show me ANY shop in Thailand that does't load up on the MSG (with the exception of 5 Star Jay).

Edit: What's the deal with the silly pricing. Why would I buy the 39 grams pack when I could have 45 grams for the same price, buying 1 Baht packs?

MSG-EN%20copy.jpg[

Edited by wump

2 hours ago, wump said:

Don't know. From the article it seems the happy hour price is 62 Baht? Sailor Bar probably around the same (was 60 Baht in 2013 and might have gone up).

Sailor Bar is better value 'cause more meat comes with it.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

592249a314a64_thisisnotanamericanbreakfast.jpg.f4280c16eaf4b81a6ab79d5c5e486e50.jpg

This is NOT, by any stretch of the imagination, an American breakfast.

I'm not American, but I learned from visiting that they always serve BIG portions. That breakfast would get a few American's complaining. Good if you're on a diet though...

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Sailor Bar is better value 'cause more meat comes with it.

Do you have any pics?  Always nice to have several options.....is that on soi 8?  Do you get a freshly brewed coffee...or is it the instant stuff?

Edited by tazly

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

592249a314a64_thisisnotanamericanbreakfast.jpg.f4280c16eaf4b81a6ab79d5c5e486e50.jpg

You're too fussy.....I am not a promoter of the place, but you actually get 2 pieces bacon or sausage, fresh juice, freshly brewed coffee, whole wheat toast, and eggs any style.  If you are fat or have a tapeworm, and need pancakes, and a bunch of other greasy diner style stuff, then it may not be for you.  For most it is sufficient.

12 hours ago, wump said:

Show me ANY shop in Thailand that does't load up on the MSG (with the exception of 5 Star Jay).

Edit: What's the deal with the silly pricing. Why would I buy the 39 grams pack when I could have 45 grams for the same price, buying 1 Baht packs?

MSG-EN%20copy.jpg[

Good eye for value!  Have seen that with other products as well! 

1 hour ago, tazly said:

Do you have any pics?  Always nice to have several options.....is that on soi 8?  Do you get a freshly brewed coffee...or is it the instant stuff?

No. Taking pics of food ain't my thing. Soi 8, yes. Brewed coffee as I remember but nothing to write home about; it might be argued that Foodland's is better--coffee is a controversial subject around here. Sailor Bar offers better views, too. :)

Edited by JSixpack

1 hour ago, tazly said:

You're too fussy.....I am not a promoter of the place, but you actually get 2 pieces bacon or sausage, fresh juice, freshly brewed coffee, whole wheat toast, and eggs any style.  If you are fat or have a tapeworm, and need pancakes, and a bunch of other greasy diner style stuff, then it may not be for you.  For most it is sufficient.

No, the pic showing 1 piece o' bacon is correct; they've downsized. But you can get 2 pieces if you order it extra. I just order a la carte off menu: bacon, eggs, small salad on the plate, coffee; no juice, no toast. 

41 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No. Taking pics of food ain't my thing. Soi 8, yes. Brewed coffee as I remember but nothing to write home about; it might be argued that Foodland's is better--coffee is a controversial subject around here. Sailor Bar offers better views, too. :)

Better views at breakfast?    Isn't that the previous evening's leftovers????

35 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

No, the pic showing 1 piece o' bacon is correct; they've downsized. But you can get 2 pieces if you order it extra. I just order a la carte off menu: bacon, eggs, small salad on the plate, coffee; no juice, no toast. 

Oooh I didn't know that...the old downsizing "switcheroo" trick......quite often used instead of raising prices.  One dude on the beach selling coconuts has used this to great effect, they are barely bigger than acorns, now at the same price.

1 hour ago, tazly said:

Better views at breakfast?    Isn't that the previous evening's leftovers????

Of course not; they're somewhere asleep. From the view of Soi 8 at the front of Sailor Bar you may watch ladies coming to work and getting off work from the hotels and most notably from the hotel rooms all around. And you have Chinese & other Asian female tourists out & about and some of them ain't bad either. Not talkin' huge numbers but surely does beat watching the workers behind the counter at Foodland or what you're likely to see from the tables at that hour.

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not wishing to trash your photography skills, NanLaew, but if you had moved that plate round a bit you could have had a smiley face. Are there many Americans with smiley faces at the moment?

1 hour ago, tazly said:

Oooh I didn't know that...the old downsizing "switcheroo" trick......quite often used instead of raising prices.  One dude on the beach selling coconuts has used this to great effect, they are barely bigger than acorns, now at the same price.

I really wouldn't want anyone downsizing my sausage.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

Of course not; they're somewhere asleep. From the view of Soi 8 at the front of Sailor Bar you may watch ladies coming to work and getting off work from the hotels and most notably from the hotel rooms all around. And you have Chinese & other Asian female tourists out & about and some of them ain't bad either. Not talkin' huge numbers but surely does beat watching the workers behind the counter at Foodland or what you're likely to see from the tables at that hour.

Will have to try it out.....are there set hours?

55 minutes ago, champers said:

Not wishing to trash your photography skills, NanLaew, but if you had moved that plate round a bit you could have had a smiley face. Are there many Americans with smiley faces at the moment?

Egad!  Priceless!

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

OK here we go, some reviews with pix no less!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d4100849-r463099073-Sailor_Bar_Restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by tazly

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Perhaps you are old school and would prefer the Japanese approach with the plastic food models!  Very easy for pointing and picking!

plastic-models-on-display-in-the-window-of-a-restaurant-in-japan-showing-EHAFGJ.jpg

Edited by tazly

19 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm not American, but I learned from visiting that they always serve BIG portions. That breakfast would get a few American's complaining. Good if you're on a diet though...

It's wet, slippery, fat and unhealthy..........and wherever you order it in Thailand...it opens up opportunities to complain, so in brief: It's a great American Breakfast.

12 hours ago, tazly said:

Will have to try it out.....are there set hours?

Yeah better stop asking for spoonfeeding and go there yourself if you're so interested.

12 hours ago, tazly said:

Perhaps you are old school and would prefer the Japanese approach with the plastic food models!  Very easy for pointing and picking!

Seems you're the only one needing the props. Glad you've managed to discover the Japanese approach.

5 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Yeah better stop asking for spoonfeeding and go there yourself if you're so interested.

Seems you're the only one needing the props. Glad you've managed to discover the Japanese approach.

Sorry I've lost my appetite!

I walked thru today for the first time. Everything was clean and displayed nicely. Sorry, but the location seems very odd. I can see it being open for quite sometime and people having no idea it exists.  The place is fine for me and just another market within walking distance from my home at The Base. The meat dept. seemed a little lacking, but not a huge meat eater so OK.

I guess like some new places, there seems to be way to many employees in there. The restaurant is pretty big much larger then BKK Nana area.  Must have been 12 employees just walking around doing nothing.  Every isle there was someone standing there. Of course ask a question and No Habla.

It's OK.  I hope they do well, but I do not see how having it basically underground, is going to help that mall. Hope is does.