Moving to Thailand Long-Term. Can I bring a computer (iMac) and some office equipment through airport customs?

Greetings,

I'm currently living in Chiang Mai and have been here almost a year. Long story short, I planned to be here maybe a year but will be going back to school here and anticipate being here three to four more years. I'm returning to the US for a short time to sell most of my possessions. I don't plan to bring back too much stuff from the US. No need for a shipping container, we can get most of what we need into luggage. Between my wife and I, I expect to have four large suitcases. 

Here's what I'm concerned about: I have a high-end 27'' iMac in the US. It's still quite new and had all the fancy upgrades at time of purchase. Roughly $2900 (USD) value. Rather than selling it in America (and invariably getting a lousy deal) and buying another one here (invariably paying way too much as these are even more expensive in Thailand), I'd like to just put it back in the original box and bring it as checked luggage. The cost for the additional "luggage item" would be far less than the loss between selling and buying new again. Can I expect to bring this thing through customs? The box is pretty big, about what you'd expect for a similar sized TV. 

Similarly, I have a unique type of scanner (example here) which costs me about $550 in the US. I've shopped around and a similar replacement here seems to be about $900. I'd prefer to just bring this into Thailand with me than try to buy one here. It's small enough to be a carry-on item, but I suppose it's a bit unusual and may catch the attention of the person staffing the x-ray machine. 

In case it's relevant, I'll be arriving with a  “Non-Immigrant Type O” multiple (M) entry visa. Also, my wife is Thai. I assume the rules are different for her. Any help here would be appreciated. 

-CTD 

OP, if you think about most people have a laptop in their luggage, yours is just bigger. I would avoid original packaging as it then looks like you are importing a new computer still in its box etc.

As noted above, I would not use original box as you might risk being charged duty for a new computer, but go with a much more secure few layers of plastic wrap and bubble wrap too which will not fit into original box anyway... and if on the odd chance that they want duty, it will look more like a used item than new... 

HI OP, I travel back and forth to Thailand,  I have brought in computers, Large Tv, appliances, never a hassle.  They only scanned my bag once and never bothered to open it.  As other posters have mentioned its better to use different packaging or use your clothes, as they can charge import tax on new items.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The original box is very well-suited for transporting this computer, so I'd like to use it. I think that's the safest option. But it seems using the original box creates the issue of it being mistaken for new. How about just bringing along my original receipt for the computer to prove I bought it a couple years ago? 

BROUGHT MY IMAC 27" 4K THROUGH SUVARNABHUMI LAST JULY IN ITS ORIGINAL AND FREIGHTING BOX ... (SOLID BROWN CARBOARD ) ... THAI CUSTOMS SCANNED IT AND WAIVED ME THROUGH

IVE PACKED THIS COMPUTER  TRAVELLING THROUGH NIGERIA, USA, THAILAND AND EUROPE.  THE ONLY PORT THAT I HAD AN ISSUE WAS HEATHROW, WHERE ON 2 OCCASIONS; OUT OF 20, STOPPED & QUESTIONED ME

TIP;  1. ENSURE THE CASE/BOX IS MARKED FRAGILE         TIP 2; GET A LIGHTWEIGHT CASE TO FIT THE MAC BOX INTO

PHOTO ATTACHED

IMG_1990 2.jpg

IMG_1989 2.jpg

4 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

That's reassuring. Thanks for your response. 

You might try putting in your Thai wife's luggage under her name, then if any negotiating is needed, it can be done by her in Thai they are a lot more liberal with Thais than frangs also as others have said don't use original packaging, even though it's tempting!

3 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The original box is very well-suited for transporting this computer, so I'd like to use it. I think that's the safest option. But it seems using the original box creates the issue of it being mistaken for new. How about just bringing along my original receipt for the computer to prove I bought it a couple years ago? 

Bring it in a pelican case which you can sell here about thirty seconds after you land for probably more than you paid for it.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:45 PM, JIMHILL said:

BROUGHT MY IMAC 27" 4K THROUGH SUVARNABHUMI LAST JULY IN ITS ORIGINAL AND FREIGHTING BOX ... (SOLID BROWN CARBOARD ) ... THAI CUSTOMS SCANNED IT AND WAIVED ME THROUGH

IVE PACKED THIS COMPUTER  TRAVELLING THROUGH NIGERIA, USA, THAILAND AND EUROPE.  THE ONLY PORT THAT I HAD AN ISSUE WAS HEATHROW, WHERE ON 2 OCCASIONS; OUT OF 20, STOPPED & QUESTIONED ME

TIP;  1. ENSURE THE CASE/BOX IS MARKED FRAGILE         TIP 2; GET A LIGHTWEIGHT CASE TO FIT THE MAC BOX INTO

JIMHILL, where did you get that black (nylon?) case for your iMac? That seems like a good option. I've done some searching around eBay and Amazon and found this. It doesn't look like quite the same thing, as yours fits the box, which I prefer. 

Edited by CrashTestDummy