british PPort renewal--residency evidence question

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It has been mentioned before, but just in case you missed it. Check with your bank that the card is enabled for on-line transactions. Payment is processed in the UK, not in Thailand.

as soon as i got the card i asked them to do just that

21 minutes ago, jikwan said:

i dont have a UK debitcard

only a thai one and that should do the job

Probably not in Liverpool.... although, if you have checked..............................as long as it is Visa/Mastercard it should be OK.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Probably not in Liverpool.... although, if you have checked..............................as long as it is Visa/Mastercard it should be OK.

english PP office even withdraws from thai virtual debitcards --- those

new fangled one time only transactions

internet capable is the key i am almost certain of it

23 hours ago, dentonian said:

Just pointing out the UK have rolled out a new online application system for replacement passports from 21/3/2017.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/customers-to-benefit-from-online-passport-application-roll-out

Maybe in the future the VFS will also stop taking passport applications.

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

This system has been available for overseas applications for quite some time now. Ever since the service was withdrawn from the Embassies. But sending the application by post only applies in certain countries. Egypt (I know for sure, I used to live there), Tunisia and Gambia are just 3 I can name. There's no doubt more but I've no intention of searching for them.

There are bound to be variations in the methodology due to local circumstances. Here in Thailand, I doubt if we'll see any change to the current system due to the fact that the local authorities require that foreigners have their passports available at all times. You can't do that and  send it off in the post to UK, now can you!

So girdle your loins for the trip to Trendy folks. :smile:

In particular the local requirement to have our passports available at all times means that we are unable to submit the originals of our existing passports with our renewal applications, as is now routinely required by HMPO (for temporary use by their UK staff as coasters for their tea mugs?). I am at a complete loss to understand why HMPO now see this as a major stumbling block, whereas they (or their predecessors) didn't 3 years ago when I renewed my passport by post via Hong Kong and was permitted to provide monochrome copies of only the photopage and pages containing visas and stamps from my existing passport (unlike the whole lot as is required now - and in colour, to boot). Moreover, I received my new passport by courier direct from the UK, meaning that I was entrusted with the onerous task of snipping off the corners of my old passport myself to cancel it, which, of course, would no longer be the case.

So, yes, I'm afraid that the dreaded (for those of us living some distance from Bangkok, in particular) "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" is unlikely to be going anywhere anytime soon, folks.:shock1:

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1