Canada refugee claims spike in first two months of 2017

webfact

Canada refugee claims spike in first two months of 2017

By Anna Mehler Paperny

REUTERS

r8.jpg

A man who claimed to be from Sudan climbs over a pile of snow as he and his family illegally cross the U.S.-Canada border leading into Hemmingford, Quebec, Canada, March 20, 2017. REUTERS/Christinne Muschi

TORONTO (Reuters) - A spike in refugee claims for the first two months of 2017 put Canada on track for the highest number since at least 2011. A fifth of those claimants were caught crossing the border illegally.

Growing numbers of asylum-seekers are coming to Canada in the wake of the election of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has pledged to crack down on refugees and undocumented immigrants.

Canada's federal government has taken heat from opponents on both the left and right for its wait-and-see approach to the influx. A Reuters/Ipsos poll found almost half of Canadians want people who entered the country illegally to be deported.

Statistics released by the government on Monday evening show 5,520 people made refugee claims in Canada in January and February.

If the pace of asylum-seekers keeps up, it will mean upwards of 33,000 refugee claims filed in Canada this year - almost 40 percent higher than 2016.

Despite the images of individuals hauling babies and belongings across the snowy border, only 20 percent of those who have filed refugee claims in Canada so far this year - 1,134 - were intercepted by Royal Canadian Mounted Police as they crossed the border illegally.

Of those, the majority - 677 - were caught crossing into Quebec, with the rest in British Columbia and Manitoba (and five in the prairie province of Saskatchewan).

(Reporting by Anna Mehler Paperny; Editing by Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-21

And amongst these thousands of refugees there will be many hardcore radicals who will never be able to understand or adapt to the Canadian culture. Who will then be brainwashed by their handlers into violent acts. Better to be careful now than to regret later.

3 minutes ago, saakura said:

And amongst these thousands of refugees there will be many hardcore radicals who will never be able to understand or adapt to the Canadian culture. Who will then be brainwashed by their handlers into violent acts. Better to be careful now than to regret later.

Almost  ALL of them will " never be able to understand or adapt to the Canadian culture", will not be ale to work and instead will become dependent on the state and tax payer.... just as the government wants

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Much as I'd like to sympathise with the Canadians, I can't help thinking they got what they deserved by electing Trudeau.

Be interesting if they try to deport them back to the US rather than their place of origin. Can't see the US government allowing them back in.

You can't deport them back to the country that they just left.   Canada can stop them from entering, if they chose to, but deportation would be back to their home country or another country that might be willing to take them, but in that case it wouldn't really be considered as deportation.  

For example when N. Korean's are caught in a 3rd country, they are often sent to S. Korea.   That, however, isn't exactly the same as deportation.  

A young boy asks his father - What is this weird headgear we wear? 

Dad: It's a chechia, in the desert it protects our heads from the sun. 

Son: And what is this clothing we wear? 

Dad: It's a djellah, in the desert it's very hot and it protects your body! 

Son: And what are these ugly shoes we have on our feet? 

Dad: These are babouches which keep us from burning our feet in the desert! 

Son: Tell me, papa, why the <deleted> are we wearing them in Vancouver?

Persons making refugee claims should be detained until they are found to be Convention refugees or deported. Mass detentions without the possibility of release would be costly but would be a somewhat effective deterrent to future illegal entrants.

I am sad to say I am returning home to Canada to cope with this refugees situation although in Saskatchewan no body want to move there it is farming land wall to wall so work for farmers would be available and housing is cheap the young one are leaving for other provinces so if any refugees are welcome they will not stay more than a month and start complaining about their rights which they do not have same as me here in Thailand.

And the USA should build a wall on Canada side because their back doors are widely open. Big risk of terrorism coming from my Canada side.