Want to plan my 7 days in lower Isaan?

H508

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

" I got sucked into having a thai girlfriend which suits me just fine for the time being" that's not nice but I guess you're joking.

Why not pick up the car in Pattaya and join some of these dots I've visited in recent years

Aranyaprathet

Up to Sakaeo

Phanom Rung n its neighbouring famous khmer neighbour whose name I can't place just now

Buriram...football stadium tour n race track..wat on the big hill couple of kms away

Millionbottle wat

Kantharak n preah vihear (spelling)

Ubon

Chong mek

Mukhahan

Prasat Khao Phra Viharn (Thai) or the Preah Vihear Temple (ruins) is not available from the Thai side, but you can always visit the Khao Phra Viharn National Park 25 clics south of Kantharalak and after paying a modest 400 Baht special farang entry fee, watch the temple in the distance through army binoculars............:whistling:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're driving from Buriram to Ubon, you're likely to drive through Sisaket province. If you take the route through Kantharalak you'll be close to a temple as old as Angkor Wat, Preah Vihar which is on the border with Cambodia:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preah_Vihear_Temple

If you stop in Kantharalak for the night the Prasopsook Ville hotel on the Main Street is good:-

http://www.sataheep.com/prasopsuk-ville-hotel-in-si-sa-ket-045-635-157-270936.html

Expect to pay around 500 baht with ensuite. 

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

" I got sucked into having a thai girlfriend which suits me just fine for the time being" that's not nice but I guess you're joking.

Why not pick up the car in Pattaya and join some of these dots I've visited in recent years

Aranyaprathet

Up to Sakaeo

Phanom Rung n its neighbouring famous khmer neighbour whose name I can't place just now

Buriram...football stadium tour n race track..wat on the big hill couple of kms away

Millionbottle wat

Kantharak n preah vihear (spelling)

Ubon

Chong mek

Mukhahan

Semi-joking maybe? My first trip was like many others, I'm sure - hop from agogo to agogo night after night. One of the girls half way through the trip just wouldn't leave the next day, or the next, or the next... and I was okay with the stable company so I didn't kick her out. Now we've been talking every day and I spent almost a month with her my 2nd trip and spending more time with her my 3rd trip...

Thanks for the list, added Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew (million-bottle temple).

What would you do in Chong Mek? I'm going to do something around Sirindhorn - whether it's the Dam or something maybe a little more interesting, I don't know yet. I won't be crossing into Laos, though, and I plan to spend some time in Kong Chiam for my Mekong River sight-seeing stay.

6 hours ago, treehouse_ monkey said:

Turn right and go about 20Kms and look for the turn to the left for Taklang Elephant Village.  Shows everyday at 10 a.m. sharp and at 2 p.m.  Show cost is 100 baht for you Thai GF 40 Baht.  Then book an elephant for a twenty to thirty minute ride. 100 baht per person.  Then head north to Kalasin and visit the dinosaur digs.  Then come back toward Buriram and head over to Phimai.  Temple is worth seeing.  In Buriram Buriram United FC is doing well but for the first time but  last year they came in number 3.  Before that champions, swept all the cups and had a great team.  I worked for the coaching staff teaching English to Brazilian players.  Been a fan for the entire time we have had a team.  Newin Chidchob, the owner of Buriram United and main partner in the Chang International Circuit is one of the sponsors of the orphanage we run here in Buriram..  The International Circuit is directly  behind the Burriram I-mobile stadium.  The stadium is on Buriram Prakhonchai Highway.  If you would like to visit tow more temples Khao Phanom Rung is 65 kms from Buriram City same road that stadium is on go to Prakhonchai and follow the signs from there.  About 18 kms from Prakhonchai city.  100 baht per temple visit for farangs and 40 baht for Thai's.  A ticket for both temples is 150 baht, they are about 7 kms distance from each other.

Thanks, added Taklang Elephant Village.

The Sirindhorn Museum for dinosaurs in Kalasin looks cool, but a little out of the way for me (2 hour drive north from anything else I have in the itinerary).

I wish Buriram FC was playing as I tried to find a match in Aug/Sept when I am in Thailand, but looks like they're not playing then. I am going to the race Sept 3 at the Intl Circuit.

Phanom Rung is already on the list.

2 hours ago, Ashto said:

If you're driving from Buriram to Ubon, you're likely to drive through Sisaket province. If you take the route through Kantharalak you'll be close to a temple as old as Angkor Wat, Preah Vihar which is on the border with Cambodia:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preah_Vihear_Temple

Thanks, but I don't think I want to mess with a border crossing as that's in Cambodia. I appreciate the hotel recommendation, though.

You barley know her why on earth would you want to meet the family of a hooker?

Be prepared to splash cash around like there is no tomorrow whilst you are there.

Don't do it, it's not fun, it's awkward and boring after a few hours..

But as they say. Up to you!

8 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

...But as they say. Up to you!

Haha, well, she's a beer bar girl, totally different... :) Jokes aside, I visited plenty of bar girls and go go dancers there on an earlier trip, she does not have the mindset of many working girls. I could tell you stories, but I'm sure you'll roll your eyes when I say to you that 'this one is different' so I won't try, haha.

I am leery of meeting the family and awkwardness, I agree with that. I told her I would only see them for dinner one night (I know that will cost a small amount but big deal, show them a good time at dinner, bring her stereotypical alcoholic dad a bottle of whiskey, and my girl will be happy). The rest is just checking out her town to show me off probably. 1.5 days can't hurt. Hopefully.

Here is my itinerary so far from you helpful people (12 days total):

-Fly from BKK to Buriram Airport.

2 days in Buriram:

-Go to Buriram City, not sure what I'll be doing exactly.

-Check out the car race as they'll be running that weekend (Sept 3).

- Taklang Elephant Village

2 days in southern Maha Sarakham:

-Visit girls family, check out the slow life so I can stop day-dreaming about quitting my job and living in some tiny village.

-Phimai

-Phanom Rung/Prasat Muant Tam

- Chong Chom Market (maybe?)

-Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew

2 days in Ubon Ratchathani:

- not sure what I'll be doing exactly

-Sirindhorn Dam; maybe something else around Sirindhorn

-2ish days around Pha Team/Khong Chiam

- Fly back to BKK from Ubon.

Good point form SurvivalBlue about choosing the right approach to Phanom Rung. You want the first gate that you come to if approaching it form the western end (rather than if approaching from Prakonchai or making your way up from the South). When we went last (about 6 months ago) it looked like the gate was not a public access one - had a roll-away barrier across it, but when I did turn into it the guy rolled it away and let us up to the car park where there were already many more cars - might have been an entrance fee (of only about 20 baht from memory) but well worth it. Otherwise you will be in a much larger free parking lot further east where there are various eating opportunities - and a much longer walk to the wat itself. I was going to say 'ruined antiquity', but actually the temple has been reconstructed (I guess) and it's well done and remarkably intact.

So if you are coming our way (Sisaket/Ubon) then you need to get more ideas from Breadbury Blue's thread of 18 months or so ago to which a few on this thread contributed.

Khao Prah Vihear does not involve a border crossing if you just want to look across to it from the top of a cliff in the mountains ("Pha Mo I Daeng"), which has prehistoric paintings on a cliff-face walkway, set in a picturesque National Park - which is, surprisingly, well worth doing. Good places to stay in the area:

- my mate "Bergen"s place (ThaiV member) - "Suan Loong Daeng Farmstay" near Nam Yuen

- "Ponsing Resort", between Khun Han and Kantharalak. This is better than one I refer to in Khun Han itself in the other thread just referenced. Either of these are better than my home amphur town of Kantharalak has to offer, though Kantharalak has a couple of good falang-thai bar restaurants - Pizza4U and Black Dog Bar.

Edited by SantiSuk

On 23/03/2017 at 10:58 PM, H508 said:

Care to elaborate on what those nice/interesting things would be? I'll have a car rental the whole trip.

I'm increasing my stay to 12 days for sure now that I'm semi-convinced to go all the way out to Pha Taem in Ubon.

I understand the argument for immersing myself in 1 or 2 places for longer, but I don't plan on living in Thailand and I'd rather just hit the highlights; for this trip anyway.

By day 5 in Chiang Mai and Samui both, I felt like I did all the touristy things and still had time to sit in a cafe or a pool/beach and watch the world pass me by; I was ready for the next thing by then and I have the suspicion I will get...antsy... well before day 5 when visiting places in Isaan.

Buriram City - 2.5 days, watch car race one day

Phimai area - 2 days

Her home in Maha Sarakham - 2 days (want to get out of there very quickly; 1 night is all that seems safe).

Phanom Rung in southern Buriram - 1 day

Leaves 5 days for Ubon Ratchathani/Khong Chiam - go to UR city, stop by sirindhorn, go to Pha Taem/Kong Chiam.

I bet you stay in her home longer,whatever you say.Leave her home til last,then off to catch that plane.

Is the Wrong Way Cafe in Ubon Ratchatani still open?  

It's been 11 years since I'd been there.  But I remember it clearly.  

Good place to drink in the daytime.

I also remember the national museum was quite nice, a lot of well descripted history of the region and a good educational hour stop right in the heart of Ubon.

2 hours ago, whoareyou said:

You barley know her why on earth would you want to meet the family of a hooker?

Be prepared to splash cash around like there is no tomorrow whilst you are there.

Don't do it, it's not fun, it's awkward and boring after a few hours..

But as they say. Up to you!

I disagree.  He seems to have a good plan in his trip and knows what he is doing.

There is no obligation for him to splash cash or anything of the matter. 

He is exploring Isaan on a weeklong holiday with a girl from there.

The only thing awkward about it might be if he needs to squat for a shit somewhere in the rice fields.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea to get away from the tourist areas and get a good experience of country life..

I disagree.  He seems to have a good plan in his trip and knows what he is doing.
There is no obligation for him to splash cash or anything of the matter. 
He is exploring Isaan on a weeklong holiday with a girl from there.
The only thing awkward about it might be if he needs to squat for a shit somewhere in the rice fields.
Otherwise I think it's a great idea to get away from the tourist areas and get a good experience of country life..

I wish him all the best. However she is not meeting the parents just for him to escape after one dinner...

Loss of face for her. It's a tangled web they spin.

But who knows, OP seems to think this one is different.

I guess there will always be a first.

OP is a lamb to the slaughter.. She will beg him not to let her down and stay in the village.

He will not say no.

And so the cycle repeats..

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:51 PM, H508 said:

looking at a map from the airport to the southern parts of MK, it could be around 40-45km. Doesn't make a material change to drive 15 more minutes.

According to Avis, they rent cars; or at least they'll drop one off at the airport for you if they don't have a lot there, so I think I'll be okay there.

Sirindhorn Dam - this is about 300km/4 hour drive from where we are starting the trip. I suppose we could drive out East from Buriram/Maha Sarahkham. Maybe stop for a day or two in Ubon Ratchathani on the way. We could fly back to BKK from Ubon Ratchathani it looks like, so that is a positive.  Maybe Buriram Airport to Phimai then home in Maha Sarakham. Then drive east to UR and this Sirindhorn Dam. I assume there should be some interesting wats or other attractions along the 4 hour drive.

My initial thought was Ubon and a few days by the Mekong.

9 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

I wish him all the best. However she is not meeting the parents just for him to escape after one dinner...

OP is a lamb to the slaughter.. She will beg him not to let her down and stay in the village.

He will not say no.

He'll be fine.  People are people.  She probably won't ask for anything. 

7 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

I wish him all the best. However she is not meeting the parents just for him to escape after one dinner...OP is a lamb to the slaughter.. She will beg him not to let her down and stay in the village. He will not say no.

My favorite post I've ever read on thaivisa. I'll make a trip report thread when it's over and tag you on it to let you know what happened :)

I am not a lonely farang that is easily swept away by the young, cute thai girl. I'm sure you describe the majority of fellas that visit, though, so I don't blame you for your warning/post. 

Yes Wrong Way Cafe is still one of the mainstream falang bars in Ubon, and as is the case generally I think these days, many falang bars are becoming falang-thai through other halves then their friends and families and then more broadly into the local scene.

Roll call of Ubon places is:
Bars (all with falang and thai food):

Wrong Way Cafe

N-Joy Bar (good roasts on Sunday and generally good falang and Thai bar food)

Ubon Irish Pub (Irish Stew)

TC Lakeside (British orientation)

Restaurants that also double up as bars

Outside Inn (excellent Mexican food a speciality)

Peppers (wide range of Euro/US/international cuisine)

Other good restaurants

Spagos (Pizzeria and Italian Restaurant)

Lots of good Isaan and Thai food restaurants of course

Google for info or ask any passing or drinking falang!

Lots of other Thai-style pubs several with pretty girls to serve you at your table - good to go with a group of friends or on your own if you speak some Thai. 

Pattaya this is not, neither is it dead as a doornail as some (who just don't look or don't ask) lazy gits maintain.

I don't think I can stomach trying Mexican food in Thailand ever again. Went to one place in pattaya and one place in Bangkok and well...it wasn't Mexican. It wasn't even edible. Don't think I'll be going to Outside Inn, but I grabbed the list of other places in case finding a place through google reviews doesn't treat me well when I am in Ubon.

23 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

He will not say no.

Yes it will cost a few cases of beer and some whiskey , yes he might end up with 30 white strings around his wrist , big deal !

Its a  good experience and nobody will sulk if you leave next day , he will have fun !

I probably went to the same Mexican as you did in Pats - soi 7 parallel to Pattaya Glaang close to where it hits Beach Road? About 9 years ago now though. Absolutely ghastly.

Up to you, but you are entirely wrong if you extrapolate from that to think that Outside Inn is going to be anything similar. I'm a Brit who lived in Houston for 2 years - this is proper Tex-Mex made by an experienced US-Thai restaurateur couple (also notoriously friendly). They even make their own corn chips from scratch. Last time I looked it was rated as No 1 of 100+ places on Trip Adviser. Tourist ratings of course, but the place is pretty cool.

Bergen, post above, were you not impressed with Khao Prah Vihear cliff area even though as you point out you can't get to the temple from the thai side? I was; it's stunningly beautiful there looking out over Cambodia below. Well worth the time and money I reckon.

51 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

I probably went to the same Mexican as you did in Pats - soi 7 parallel to Pattaya Glaang close to where it hits Beach Road? About 9 years ago now though. Absolutely ghastly.

Up to you, but you are entirely wrong if you extrapolate from that to think that Outside Inn is going to be anything similar. I'm a Brit who lived in Houston for 2 years - this is proper Tex-Mex made by an experienced US-Thai restaurateur couple (also notoriously friendly). They even make their own corn chips from scratch. Last time I looked it was rated as No 1 of 100+ places on Trip Adviser. Tourist ratings of course, but the place is pretty cool.

Okay, you have Mexican food credibility now with being in Houston and knowing what TexMex is. Back on the list.

And yes, same place on Soi 7 in Pattaya - Tequila Reef Cantina - it's the only Mexican place in Pattaya probably. So. Bad. It's like they tried to guess what Mexican food was by (trying) to recreate it by looking only at pictures.

47 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bergen, post above, were you not impressed with Khao Prah Vihear cliff area even though as you point out you can't get to the temple from the thai side? I was; it's stunningly beautiful there looking out over Cambodia below. Well worth the time and money I reckon.

I'm torn on deciding to try to stop there or not. I read your post on an earlier thread that SantiSuk linked and the pictures look okay, but it seems like a lot of trouble to visit just for a vista view of green fields.

I'm torn on deciding to try to stop there or not. I read your post on an earlier thread that SantiSuk linked and the pictures look okay, but it seems like a lot of trouble to visit just for a vista view of green fields.

Agree (& Army fortifications)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I do like the view from the Pa Moo E Daeng cliff, and I do recommend it for tourists.

But having lived just 25 clics away for 13 years, and visited the temple more than 30 times before the border was closed, I get quite annoyed when the charge is 400 baht to enter the park, while not too long ago I could enter for 40.

So I guess my post was a little sarcastic, - If you don't get too many visitors - put the price up........:coffee1:

Here are some pics from last week...?

20170315_101706.jpg

20170315_101204.jpg

20170315_101715.jpg

20170315_102455.jpg

Edited by bergen

i make the trip from bkk to buriram once or twice a month.  here is some info that might be helpful.

DMK to BFV on air asia - get the A window seat.  the flight path takes you south from DMK and you get a great view of bangkok as the plane makes a u-turn to go north.  i've seen rental cars at BFV.

my preferred restaurant is Book and Bed on Han Chana Rd.  nearby on the same road is Tulip Resort which also has a good restaurant, run by a dutch guy, and sometimes known as Muang Pizza (but they do alot more than pizza).  tulip has big rooms and a nice pool but i've never stayed there.

i've stayed at a bunch of hotels (not sure if you are going hotel or staying with the family).  amari by the track, klim hotel, best western, rinradee place (same owner as sita princess across the street where you check in and get breakfast).  i recently ate lunch at cresco hotel, a new place by the track.  stylish like amari.  i prefer the klim hotel, they have fast/reliable internet and a good breakfast.  about 700thb/nt.  amari and cresco are double that.  rinradee is about 500thb and is walking distance to book and bed and muang pizza.  don't expect any english channels on the TV, i think amari had a few.  i end up streaming stuff off youtube, etc... to keep me occupied at night.

there is a robinsons mall with a market (more farang friendly that big C, and more expensive !!) plus restaurants and shops.

i've been to bamboo bar a few times.  i'm typically in bed early and wake up early in buriram.  nightlife is not much.

since you are going during a race at the track, many hotels will be sold out.  i was just there during a moto bike race (SBK Motul ?) and ended up at rinradee place as klim hotel was full (as were many others).  book room as soon as you can.

Edited by buick