New traffic law with severer penalties is now in force

webfact

Law.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Drivers failing to pay traffic ticket fines will now face severer penalties under a new regulation issued under Section 44 of the interim constitution.

The warning came from Pol Lt Gen Withaya Prayongphan, assistant commissioner of the Royal Thai Police after the prime minister decided to invoke Section 44 to tackle traffic accidents.

The assistant commissioner recalled that from September last year until today, more than 680,000 traffic tickets were issued to violators, but only 11% were paid.

As traffic violators are expected to increase particularly during the Songkran festival, the need to tighten enforcement of traffic law is therefore necessary.

Making changes to existing laws through normal process won’t be in time, but the use of Section 44.

Under the new regulation, not only drivers of pubic transport and private cars  are required to fasten seat belts, but their passengers as well.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-traffic-law-severer-penalties-now-force/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-23

Same, same every year. No education or prevention, just increased punishments (threats).

Next: we will get headlines stating how many people got killed, horror shock (and they are horrible) but with numbers well under the daily average obtained by dividing 28 000 road fatalities a year (which is probably an underestimation as people that don't die before they get to hospital aren't counted) divided by 365 = 76 a day.

i have had 3 tickets now for driving "my" blue ford pick up,(nice pics) 1 for speeding, 1 for parking, 1 for crossing yellow lines, shame i dont drive, dont own a vehicle.have been to the cop shop 3 times now. think i had better pay the fines ha ha, this guy has never lived here, sounds like a scandinavian, i tell cops just get in touch with immigration, nah ! too much bloody trouble,

1 hour ago, mark01 said:

I think they mean only 11% were declared paid.

What % was donated to police retirement fund?

The RTP employs between 210,700 and 230,000 officers, roughly 17 percent of all civil servants (excluding military and the employees of state-owned enterprises).
Let's estimate that 50% of them working in the service outdoor on the streets.
Rounded: 100.000 men

“From September last year until today, more than 680,000 traffic tickets were issued to violators..”
From September to March is rounded 6 month.
So 680.000 traffic tickets divided by 100.000 police officers result in 6,8 tickets per officer in 6 month.
6,8 tickets divided by 6 month results in 1,2 ticket per officer per 1 month.

Each outdoor policeman creates statistically roughly 1 ticket per month! :laugh:

I think these are just the official tickets.

Edited by tomacht8

Is to beat the 2017 new year record ?

7 Dangerous Days on Thailand’s Roads 2016-2017: xxx deaths (380 last year)
Day 1:
 42 deaths (39 last year)
Day 2: 71 deaths (65 last year)
Day 3: 86 deaths (74 last year) * 1 died from accident day before
Day 4: 81 deaths (75 last year)
Day 5: 87 deaths (39 last year) * 12 died from accidents on earlier days
Day 6: 59 deaths (48 last year) * 7 died from accidents on earlier days
Day 7: 52 deaths (40 last year) * 15 died from accidents on earlier days

29th December 2016 to 4th January 2017:
478 dead (380 last year)
4,128 injured (3,505 last year)
3,919 accidents (3,379 last year)

Edited by BsBs

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the new regulation, not only drivers of pubic transport and private cars  are required to fasten seat belts, but their passengers as well

Was this not already the law?

The reason I ask is I was pulled over last week by the Ambassador on the way back into Pattaya at a regular police check/choke point . Had 2 people in the back one of whom was not wearing their belt (they had been asleep).

BIB asked first to see my licence then asked for the rear window to be opened so he could see in better. Was talking about fining me because the guy behind me was not wearing a belt and when I queried it said my responsibility and would keep the licence and I would have to go to the police station to pay the fine. Although he had his book in his hand he did not look like he was anxious to write the ticket and I was starting to expect to have to pay some tea money when he eventually said would let me off this time......

the Government has just realized what a nice earner traffic offences  can be ,if they

start enforcing the laws,if they can get paid,and if they can stop skimming by plod,

they will soon have the Subs paid for ,bugger hospitals,schools anything that will

advantage the population,toys come first.

regards worgeordie

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Law.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Drivers failing to pay traffic ticket fines will now face severer penalties under a new regulation issued under Section 44 of the interim constitution.

The warning came from Pol Lt Gen Withaya Prayongphan, assistant commissioner of the Royal Thai Police after the prime minister decided to invoke Section 44 to tackle traffic accidents.

The assistant commissioner recalled that from September last year until today, more than 680,000 traffic tickets were issued to violators, but only 11% were paid.

As traffic violators are expected to increase particularly during the Songkran festival, the need to tighten enforcement of traffic law is therefore necessary.

Making changes to existing laws through normal process won’t be in time, but the use of Section 44.

Under the new regulation, not only drivers of pubic transport and private cars  are required to fasten seat belts, but their passengers as well.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-traffic-law-severer-penalties-now-force/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-23

Who is cosidered a driver of "pubic transport "and what is a pubic transporter. Does it have wheels or legs and what licence is required.

While police are justified for being criticized for many things, Thai citizens just don't take law and order seriously and unwilling to be a partner in it...11% of official tickets paid? They just don't care and the legal system has no backbone and not respected...

heard only 10% of taxes are actually collected...falls in the same line and why should one wonder with such a dysfunctional gov in place of why they remain stuck in a 3rd world mentality and we still expect signals to work and barricades erected when bridges are removed....

Waiting for someone outside an Amphur today i thought i would count the first 100 vehicles, less large commercials, that went past and see how many drivers/passengers were wearing seat belts.    Well; 72% of drivers were not wearing belts and an even higher number of front seat passengers were not wearing them either.    Could not see rear seat passengers clearly enough to tell but there weren't that many.    I didn't count the red/yellow bus's as the cattle in the back have no belts anyway !

Later in the day took wife's Auntie out to lunch with us and she did not want to wear a belt as 'she never does' in her own car.  I insisted that she put it on and she moaned the whole way in both directions because...  ''it's uncomfortable''.

Nobody will ever, ever get these people to do the right thing unless they are subjected to the strict laws and enforcement of Western countries.     With a completely corrupt Police Force which is no more than an armed Mafia geared to extortion and little else other than TV appearances there is no chance whatsoever of stamping out driving offences.

13 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Later in the day took wife's Auntie out to lunch with us and she did not want to wear a belt as 'she never does' in her own car.  I insisted that she put it on and she moaned the whole way in both directions because...  ''it's uncomfortable''.

Next time she's in the car with you, I recommend performing an emergency stop. If she doesn't put her belt on, then keep repeating the procedure until she gets the message. Or until she breaks her nose on the seat in front. 

Edited by bfc1980

I can't see that anyone has mentioned taxis. The new law says that the driver and passengers will be fined (including taxis). 

From now on we'd better check that the taxi has working seat-belts before getting in.  Now it is the passenger's turn to turn down rides!

You know the most annoying thing about this?

i just learned that I belong in the 11% category I.e. Those who pay their fines ( well only if the photo is a good one ) 

i velieve an  attempt to fleece us was made when a previously paid fine was demanded again but with a photocopy of the picture not the colour one.then to cap it all this mornings post brought a speeding fine for a car we do not own, have never driven and we are having fun with Plod trying to explain this.

updates to follow if I retain my liberty...........

The idea maybe good but why? The police cannot enforce the current laws? Or is this just another greedy money grabbing exercise? There is not much critical thinking going on, how about education?

And the number of taxis I've been in that do not have seat belts fitted in the rear and the police want to fine me? Duh! Double the fine for the driver = same amount of tea money collected!

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You mean there is actually a traffic law in Thailand that is going to get enforced.:cheesy: Or maybe another excuse to up the tea money.

Doesn't it sound more like notice of payment enfocement for a substantial amount of revenue disguised as a new traffic law to reduce fatalities? 

18 hours ago, Deli said:

and what about 5 people on a scoopy, none of them with a helmet and 2 kids standing straight up on the bench ?

Fine or not fine ?!?

A big fine....I can't believe what people let their children do?

16 hours ago, BsBs said:

Is to beat the 2017 new year record ?

7 Dangerous Days on Thailand’s Roads 2016-2017: xxx deaths (380 last year)
Day 1:
 42 deaths (39 last year)
Day 2: 71 deaths (65 last year)
Day 3: 86 deaths (74 last year) * 1 died from accident day before
Day 4: 81 deaths (75 last year)
Day 5: 87 deaths (39 last year) * 12 died from accidents on earlier days
Day 6: 59 deaths (48 last year) * 7 died from accidents on earlier days
Day 7: 52 deaths (40 last year) * 15 died from accidents on earlier days

29th December 2016 to 4th January 2017:
478 dead (380 last year)
4,128 injured (3,505 last year)
3,919 accidents (3,379 last year)

Hey it not the drivers u know lol

16 hours ago, bfc1980 said:

Next time she's in the car with you, I recommend performing an emergency stop. If she doesn't put her belt on, then keep repeating the procedure until she gets the message. Or until she breaks her nose on the seat in front. 

I know where you're coming from but i don't think it's advisable with a 67 year old woman knowing that i would get the blame for causing what could be life threatening injuries.   Nope; i just insist that she wears the belt !

On 3/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, Deli said:

and what about 5 people on a scoopy, none of them with a helmet and 2 kids standing straight up on the bench ?

Fine or not fine ?!?

I think it is fine. They do it all the time ;-)