China is not militarising South China Sea, Premier Li says

webfact

China is not militarising South China Sea, Premier Li says

REUTERS

r8.jpg

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang inspects an honour guard during an official welcoming ceremony at Parliament House in Canberra, Australia, March 23, 2017. REUTERS/David Gray

SYDNEY (Reuters) - China is not militarising the South China Sea, Premier Li Keqiang said on Friday, although he acknowledged that defence equipment on islands in the disputed waterway had been placed there to maintain "freedom of navigation".

China has drawn international criticism for large-scale building in the South China Sea, although Li told reporters in Australia the development was for civilian purposes only.

"China's facilities, Chinese islands and reefs, are primarily for civilian purposes and, even if there is a certain amount of defence equipment or facilities, it is for maintaining the freedom of navigation," Li said.

China claims most of the resource-rich South China Sea, through which about $5 trillion in ship-borne trade passes every year. Neighbours Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam also have claims on the strategic waterway.

The United States estimates Beijing has added more than 3,200 acres (1,300 hectares) of land on seven features in the South China Sea over the past three years, building runways, ports, aircraft hangars and communications equipment.

The United States has conducted a series of freedom-of-navigation operations in the South China Sea, raising tensions between Washington and Beijing.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-24

"China's facilities, Chinese islands and reefs, are primarily for civilian purposes and, even if there is a certain amount of defence equipment or facilities, it is for maintaining the freedom of navigation," Li said.

Right.  You go into another country's sovereign territory, demolish a pristine reef, put military installations on it, and it's all done to help maintain freedom of navigation.  Unreal.:bah:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"China's facilities, Chinese islands and reefs, are primarily for civilian purposes and, even if there is a certain amount of defence equipment or facilities, it is for maintaining the freedom of navigation,"

Then China shouldn't have a problem with the US installing its own missile ship killers, ground to air missiles and radar directed gun batteries on those same islands and reefs to provide equal freedom of navigation.

1 hour ago, Homburg said:

His words do not match China's actions, but you have to admire his ability to say that with a straight face.  I guess politicians the world over attend masterclasses in lying.

Some of them are just "naturals" :

trump.jpg.987c5e226eb3c906368dffc2086d90f0.jpg

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Then China shouldn't have a problem with the US installing its own missile ship killers, ground to air missiles and radar directed gun batteries on those same islands and reefs to provide equal freedom of navigation.

The Americans have already built up and are continuing to establish a ring that would allow them to blockade and threaten China. See Pilger's film The Coming War on China. The US has been much more aggressive in the region than China. 

37 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The Americans have already built up and are continuing to establish a ring that would allow them to blockade and threaten China. See Pilger's film The Coming War on China. The US has been much more aggressive in the region than China. 

And what pristine reefs has the US taken from neighboring countries, demolished and built up with military installations?  List just one, please.

And don't say Japan, Korea, etc, as the US is there by invitation.

58 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Some people just amaze me with their fantasies. 

16 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

And what pristine reefs has the US taken from neighboring countries, demolished and built up with military installations?  List just one, please.

and there is the reason why china pushed down way down south.

just like nato in eastern europe......

“China’s facilities, Chinese islands and reefs, are primarily for civilian purposes and, even if there is a certain amount of defence equipment or facilities, it is for maintaining the freedom of navigation,” Li said.

Yeah! The only problem I see with that is that according to the Hagues tribunal on the matter, China does not in fact have any right to any of the shoals and Islands.

http://www.cfr.org/councilofcouncils/global_memos/p38227

31 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I don't  agree at all with  what China has done to those reefs and nor do I think they should simply be able to lay claim to disputed areas of territory without any form of negotiation or mediation. It's simply a fact that even under Obama there has been a significant military buildup designed to fence in China. Calling out the Americans for what they're doing, doesn't mean you have to support what China is doing.

The Okinawans certainly don't want the Americans there and have been putting up a big fight against the new American base at Henoko Bay, which will be filled in for runways and destroy a natural dugong environment.  Also in South Korea, the people on Jeju island, a World Heritage site, have made it clear they don't want the new American base that is being constructed  there. But according to you these can't be mentioned because the governments invited them there, even though it's against the wishes of the local people. 

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Some of them are just "naturals" :

trump.jpg.987c5e226eb3c906368dffc2086d90f0.jpg

Ah! Now I see it. This explains so much. I believe however, that the lies you tell, need to be believable in the first place. If people dont believe the first three lies, they will not deal with you fullstop.

China is lying when it says the Islands, reefs and shoals belong to them.

My fantasies are a lot more complicated than a few Islands, so I don't think I will be agreeing to any deal on this region, especially not with the Chinese.

Question --> How did this thread morph into yet another discussion about the USA and Trump? 

Request--> Can anyone make a contribution about the Chinese leader's statement and the intentions of the Chinese government in the South China Sea?

I'd like to learn more about that issue.

50 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Question --> How did this thread morph into yet another discussion about the USA and Trump? 

Request--> Can anyone make a contribution about the Chinese leader's statement and the intentions of the Chinese government in the South China Sea?

I'd like to learn more about that issue.

Chinese philosophy "Its our way or the highway and we are big enough and getting bigger here to back it up" If you really want to learn something about a really dangerous issue read up on the "New Chinese Silk Road" now there is something scary. It will be bringing factories and CHEAP wages to America all with Trump's blessing. Look at the new Chinese windshield factory in Ohio. 

Edited by elgordo38

I don't like the build up of any military force in another country. This includes the more than 260 military bases owned by the US in other countries. The Chinese now have bases in the atolls of one particular country which the president of that country now says is ok. The same is true of most US bases, the people of those countries did not invite the US in, scum politicians allowed it to happen. If most US citizens put themselves in China's position they would be happy to do the same. For instance, I could mention the base in Cuba. And so it goes, I could name heaps more. When you directly or indirectly surround a country with military bases, don't be surprised when world powers react. 

11 hours ago, deepinlaos said:

and there is the reason why china pushed down way down south.

just like nato in eastern europe......

You are comparing apples and oranges.  China has taken this area for 2 reasons.  One.  They believe it's their own.  They have for years.  Two.  They want the natural resources.  The last is the #1 most important.  If you know the Chinese, it's all about money.

11 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I don't  agree at all with  what China has done to those reefs and nor do I think they should simply be able to lay claim to disputed areas of territory without any form of negotiation or mediation. It's simply a fact that even under Obama there has been a significant military buildup designed to fence in China. Calling out the Americans for what they're doing, doesn't mean you have to support what China is doing.

The Okinawans certainly don't want the Americans there and have been putting up a big fight against the new American base at Henoko Bay, which will be filled in for runways and destroy a natural dugong environment.  Also in South Korea, the people on Jeju island, a World Heritage site, have made it clear they don't want the new American base that is being constructed  there. But according to you these can't be mentioned because the governments invited them there, even though it's against the wishes of the local people. 

Agreed and understood!  Sadly, it's not up to the "local" people in these countries.  Those at the top want the US there.  For good reasons.  Easy for the people at the top to tell the US to bugger off.  That hasn't happened.  Actually, the reverse has happened.  More equipment is being sent into the area due to the crazy leader of North Korea.

6 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I don't like the build up of any military force in another country. This includes the more than 260 military bases owned by the US in other countries. The Chinese now have bases in the atolls of one particular country which the president of that country now says is ok. The same is true of most US bases, the people of those countries did not invite the US in, scum politicians allowed it to happen. If most US citizens put themselves in China's position they would be happy to do the same. For instance, I could mention the base in Cuba. And so it goes, I could name heaps more. When you directly or indirectly surround a country with military bases, don't be surprised when world powers react. 

Only one country has said it is OK.  The others are fighting against China the best they can.  Their leaders have said it's NOT OK.

As for Cuba, that's a completely different story.  Research how that base came to be.  Legally.  Under contract.

P.S. I'm in agreement with you.  The US spends too much on their military and needs to cut back.  Sadly, that's not what Trump wants.

9 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Chinese philosophy "Its our way or the highway and we are big enough and getting bigger here to back it up" If you really want to learn something about a really dangerous issue read up on the "New Chinese Silk Road" now there is something scary. It will be bringing factories and CHEAP wages to America all with Trump's blessing. Look at the new Chinese windshield factory in Ohio. 

I've spent a fair amount of time on the Silk Road.  The Chinese are not liked by the locals.  They feel they are taking advantage of them.  Destroying their environment.  Taking their natural resources.  Just like what's happening in the SCS.

12 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Given the Japanese surrendered unconditionally, the Okinawans could have all been removed en mass, which would have allowed the Americans to do whatever they like on Okinawa.

As for the Koreans, short memories? Not for the Americans, their leader would be the Dear One or whatever he calls himself. A lot of Americans died to give them the freedom to complain. I'm sure Donald would like to save money by making them defend Sth Korea by themselves.

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the Japanese surrendered unconditionally, the Okinawans could have all been removed en mass, which would have allowed the Americans to do whatever they like on Okinawa.

As for the Koreans, short memories? Not for the Americans, their leader would be the Dear One or whatever he calls himself. A lot of Americans died to give them the freedom to complain. I'm sure Donald would like to save money by making them defend Sth Korea by themselves.

Destroy the dugongs - MAGA!

Naaahhhh, the Chinese just put up a military amusement park for the kiddies ....... Sailings every hour to the hour and, if purchasing a family tickets for two adults and two kids then all other extra kids from the same family are FOC 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.  China has taken this area for 2 reasons.  One.  They believe it's their own.  They have for years.  Two.  They want the natural resources.  The last is the #1 most important.  If you know the Chinese, it's all about money.

I mostly agree with your statement. However, re; the sentence; "They believe it's their own."

Granted, the Chinese sheeple believe it's their own territory because of the successful brainwashing by their handlers in Beijing.   Yet the Beijing bosses must know down deep, the Fil territories are not Chinese and never have been.  Similar to Tibet.

6 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I mostly agree with your statement. However, re; the sentence; "They believe it's their own."

Granted, the Chinese sheeple believe it's their own territory because of the successful brainwashing by their handlers in Beijing.   Yet the Beijing bosses must know down deep, the Fil territories are not Chinese and never have been.  Similar to Tibet.

The Chinese are arrogant.  I think they fully believe the 9 dash line.  Even those who should know better.  And in the end, it's all about money.  From the natural resources there...which they desperately need.

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've spent a fair amount of time on the Silk Road.  The Chinese are not liked by the locals.  They feel they are taking advantage of them.  Destroying their environment.  Taking their natural resources.  Just like what's happening in the SCS.

Great to hear from someone with personal experience. I have noticed that you seem to travel a lot envy it.