Thai citizen wanting to learn Thai language

Charlie333

Hi all, 

My mother is Thai and I have Thai citizenship and passport and would like to learn Thai in Thailand. Having grown up in Australia I only know a very small amount of basic Thai. 

Are there any Universities or colleges which I can attend to learn the Thai language. Having citizenship I do not need a education visa etc. Any comments and suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thankyou.

Step 1:  You have citizenship - good news, no need for all the special visa hassles etc.

I'll throw in a couple of side questions here: how much time can you spare, is your time in Thailand limited to a few weeks, a few months, forever?  And what are your expectations: to go up to intermediate, or advanced level, or full fluency? And of course budget?

Step 2: How to do it. You'll get a million opinions. Here's one opinion:

- Longer-term it will be much much to your advantage in terms of daily living, transacting the official and unofficial things of life (for the next 80+ years) to be able to read and write Thai.

- Many serious non-Thai learners  (and you sort of fit this category in language ability right now) will tell you learning to read and write Thai first made it much easier and faster to learn to speak Thai, to construct Thai, to get the tones right, and to develop a large valuable vocabulary while your learning to read and write.

- From comments I've picked up the AUA language schools seems to have the best Thai courses in terms of properly structured progressive learning (including reading and writing), structure well prepared materials etc. , and good teachers. And actual classes with a handful or more of students.

- If you visit small schools (and there are many) ask / politely insist to see their books, their structured materials. If they don't have any, obvious conclusion. If these places try to insist that a one teacher - one student approach is better, don't believe them.

- Overall of course it's all a matter of opinion and you must do what you feel comfortable with. 

Over to the others for more opinions and information.

Ohh, and don't forget, force yourself to be immersed in Thai language as much of each day as you can. The magic tool for kids to learn quickly is simply immersion. Same for adults.

Good luck. 

Edited by scorecard

The most intensive (and expensive) course is that offered by Chulalongkorn University.

Next best are the ones based upon the (slightly dated) Union method - Unity, Piammitr, Union itself, and one or two others.

Other schools simply don't go to a high enough level and are not sufficiently demanding.

Incidentally, whilst I was studying at Unity there was a Thai women in one of my classes in exactly the same situation as yourself, so it's not that unusual.

1.  Intensive Thai Language Program at Chulalongkorn U.  Very structured and very intensive.  Classroom environment.  Curriculum is well-thought out and teachers are quite good.

2.  Sumaa Language and Culture Institute - sumaa.net.  Mostly one-on-one teaching by qualified teachers. 

These are the only sources of Thai language instruction here of which I am aware that are at the level of a Western university. 

Awesome thanks for the replies... I will be looking to staying in Thailand from next year for 1-2 years. After doing some research ill be looking at Payap University with their intensive course they offer as Chula seems a bit pricey for the classroom. Any further suggestions are welcome 

Assuming that you can't read Thai, I too was going to recommend Union Language School in Bangkok.I don't have personal experience, but 2 or 3 people have spoken highly of it to me. Website:  www.unionthailanguage.com  Payap, like Union, has ties to the Church of Christ in Thailand. If you are lucky, they might offer something there in Chiang Mai.

Otherwise, I think that, outside of Bangkok, there would never be enough people in your category at any one time for anyone to offer a course.

If you can already read Thai, you might try the Non-formal Education office wherever you are going to be living. If you don't know where it is, ask at the nearest public high school.

Edited by allane