NHRC to carry in its own fact-finding probe of fatal shooting of Lahu youth activist

webfact

NHRC to carry in its own fact-finding probe of fatal shooting of Lahu youth activist

204_Lahu1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Human Rights Commission of Thailand (NHRC) reiterated it's own fact-finding inquiry of the shooting of a Lahu hilltribe activist Chaiyaphum Pasae with strong belief that the victim of the extra judicial killing had no connection with drug trafficking as authorities believed.

NHRC chairperson Mrs Angkhana Neelapaijit said Friday that the NHRC would go ahead with the fact-finding inquiry on drug connection with the activist as drug and extra judicial killing are different issues.

She said the NHCR would find out facts which linked the victim to drug, while extra judicial killing is another point which also needed to find out whether it was legitimate or not, as well as autopsy and collection of evidence were conducted in accordance with the laws or not.

Meanwhile a fact-finding Investigation team appointed by the Army yesterday inspected the scene of the shooting of the Lahu youth activist at the Ban Rin Luang village checkpoint in Muang Na sub-district in Chiang Dao district of Chiang Mai province.

The team was led by Third Army Region deputy commander Maj. Gen. Sompong Chaeng-Chamrat.

He was briefed by soldiers manning the checkpoint, and led to see the closed-circuit TV camera at the scene.

It was reported that video footages had captured the shooting and now kept as evidence which will be used to determine if security personnel had used excessive force.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nhrc-carry-fact-finding-probe-fatal-shooting-lahu-youth-activist/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-24

The CCTV is intriguing. Is that SOP of the military to set up CCTV at every roadblocks? I never heard of that kind of standard practice. If the roadblock in a remote place, can the CCTV be hooked up with batteries. I am no expert in electronics. Just curious. 

30 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The CCTV is intriguing. Is that SOP of the military to set up CCTV at every roadblocks? I never heard of that kind of standard practice. If the roadblock in a remote place, can the CCTV be hooked up with batteries. I am no expert in electronics. Just curious. 

At 'every' roadblock is a good question.

But yes, at least all the 'standard' control points, say at highways 1, 118, 107 etc. i have seen getting increasingly fitted with CCTV over recent 2 or 3 years ... 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

NHRC would go ahead with the fact-finding inquiry

Should be a short inquiry as it has no investigative power other than to ask questions. It cannot even compel "parties of interest" to appear for questioning appear. It is not an Independent organization but operates under the Office of the Ombudsman (a Prayut military officer appointee I believe) who controls its budget and priorities.

In December 2014 NHRC was facing a downgrade of its status by the Sub-Committee on Accreditation of the International Coordinating Committee on National Human Rights Institutions due to its failures in tackling human rights violations in Thailand. It was  given one year to comply with the ICC’s recommendations, before being downgraded from A status to B.

https://prachatai.com/english/node/4648

In January 2016 it was downgraded to a ‘B’. In effect, it was judged not impartial or effective enough to submit reports on human rights in Thailand to the UN Human Rights Council, nor can it actively participate in human rights conferences organized by the UN Human Rights Council. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/aec/30278458

An investigation by the Rice Committee chaired by PM Prayut might have as much credibility.

5 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

At 'every' roadblock is a good question.

But yes, at least all the 'standard' control points, say at highways 1, 118, 107 etc. i have seen getting increasingly fitted with CCTV over recent 2 or 3 years ... 

I think that was a random roadblock like those that the RTP set up randomly on roads. Static regular control points do have CCTV.

I think that was a random roadblock like those that the RTP set up randomly on roads. Static regular control points do have CCTV.

Usually focused on the slightly larger than life dummy policeman leaning on the red and white oil drum...

There is frequently no other sign of life, although I'll bet that if you peeked over the sandbag you would find a couple of fellows busy on their smartphones.