Work permit needed to build your own house?

So far not one conviction mentioned but so many nay sayers. Can on e of you quoting the law show 1 conviction where a guy whose family owns the land was convicted of an offence when improving that land. Personally I have never heard of it let alone seen any actual evidence. I think Khun Robert has put forward the only credible evidence and that shows that there is no problem.

I say go for it and come back and post the result.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So they don't mind, doesn't make it legal.

Like if some one would says, in Thailand helmets are not mandatory, believe me I am certain, I have seen thousands of people driving motorbikes without helmets, every single days and no police officer ever say anything. Same same:smile:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rhodie said:

So far not one conviction mentioned but so many nay sayers. Can on e of you quoting the law show 1 conviction where a guy whose family owns the land was convicted of an offence when improving that land. Personally I have never heard of it let alone seen any actual evidence. I think Khun Robert has put forward the only credible evidence and that shows that there is no problem.

I say go for it and come back and post the result.

People have been convicted for less, but you choose to ignore it. up to you.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Nothing in that linked thread about anyone being caught building/working on their own house/property...

So its kind of irrelevant to this topic !!

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:18 PM, valerian said:

Hi!

Is a work permit needed for building your own house/assisting during the build?

I have read the law, and read old threads, but don't feel any wiser. 

Anyone here with experience on this? I.e real cases to refer to? 

I'll be building in Isaan.

Cheers,

Valerian

This is an old existing law and yes, you need a temporary work permit to build, paint or for whatever you planning to do on or with your house.

Even for repairing your own car, motorcycle or bicycle.

These are restricted jobs and reserved for Thai nationals only.

That said I never heard or saw or spoke to one who got arrested for this.

Most Thais haven't got a clue about this, included the police.

I myself do everything on my house, car or whatever my fancy without problems, up to now.

It works like this: You apply for a temporary workpermit for the duration of the job, say 3 months and you will than get one for 3 months, for the job you stated only.

Anyone can report you to the police, and they are forced to investigate.

Up to you. :crazy:

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You keep bleating on and on. Just show me where someone was convicted for what he is doing, not less. There are a lot of silly convictions, yes, but show one where it was for improving one's families land.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 8:26 PM, elviajero said:

Probably, but you don't know that for sure. I own my house.

Even if he doesn't as long as he is not working as a builder in the context of occupation/employment he is not breaking any law.  There is nothing stopping me doing any causal unpaid work on property owned by family/friends.

I imagine you are just repeating the misinformation often written on this and other forums.

I used to play football for a amateur team. No permission required. If I wanted to play professionally, paid or unpaid, I would need permission.

Nobody would say something when you fix your own car, would they? Laws are laws and cops are cops.

I don't think that any immigration officer, cop or soldier would have a problem with the OP building his own home.

I guess they already know that it won't be for too long. ( Sarcasm...) 

Some women are sampling houses like others stamps. And on each train sits an idiot. 

Edited by ajarngreg

50 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Lot of silly Ferangs too .Friend on Carport Roof.Friend Fall Through Roof .Workman 200 Bht to fix Roof .Hospital 350 K Bht for New Hip .No insurance .emoji603.pngemoji541.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's a great example not to go on a roof at all. Too may foreigners become airborne these days. LOAF. ( Land of Airborne Farangs) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bandito said:

This is an old existing law and yes, you need a temporary work permit to build, paint or for whatever you planning to do on or with your house.

Even for repairing your own car, motorcycle or bicycle.

These are restricted jobs and reserved for Thai nationals only.

That said I never heard or saw or spoke to one who got arrested for this.

Most Thais haven't got a clue about this, included the police.

I myself do everything on my house, car or whatever my fancy without problems, up to now.

It works like this: You apply for a temporary workpermit for the duration of the job, say 3 months and you will than get one for 3 months, for the job you stated only.

Anyone can report you to the police, and they are forced to investigate.

Up to you. :crazy:

How much does the temp work permit cost?  Sounds reasonable,  but would just weigh the WP cost against paying someone to do the work.

20 hours ago, LolaS said:

actually you are allowed with student visa part time jobs for up to 9 h per week

Clever & Smart. OP, throw your Non- O, or B away and apply for an ED visa, problem solved.

I've seen many foreigners building their own house, or at least helping, but none of them had any problems with the authorities.

And it's almost 20 years that I'm living here. I'd be more concerned that a coconut will kill me while trekking in the mountains.....

13 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

A temporary work permit is only valid for 15 days. It is possible to apply for a regular work permit with with 3 months of validity which requires company documents to get.

See the application for a 15 day work permit for info: http://doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/alien_en/1cdeb7597c703a9554de3a0e18fb6abc.pdf

13 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:
6 hours ago, bandito said:

How much does the temp work permit cost?  Sounds reasonable,  but would just weigh the WP cost against paying someone to do the work.

I don't think you would want a temporary work permit nor would you likely qualify for one.

I don't think you would want a temporary work permit nor would you likely qualify for one.

I am quite sure that it is not possible to get a WP10 for the purpose of building or repairing your own house etc. This WP is restricted to selected professions/ activities, which are "necessary" and "urgent" from a business related, educational or social POV.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:09 PM, FritsSikkink said:

It won't be HIS home to start with.

not true, he can own the house just not the land

The Bottom line is there are numerous people who have built their own house or worked on them including myself with no problems that I am aware of and I have been here a long time so go for it.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A temporary work permit is only valid for 15 days. It is possible to apply for a regular work permit with with 3 months of validity which requires company documents to get.

See the application for a 15 day work permit for info: http://doe.go.th/prd/assets/upload/files/alien_en/1cdeb7597c703a9554de3a0e18fb6abc.pdf

ubonjoe, I stand corrected about the validity of a temporary work permit, thank you.

The reason I brought this up is that practically no one knows about that one, officially, has to have a work permit temporary or otherwise to do any work here in Thailand, be it private or working for someone.

This law or regulation was already in place the very first time I entered Thailand, 40yrs ago, not that I ever applied for a temporary work permit.

Thank you for the link. :smile:

On 3/27/2017 at 7:41 AM, r136dg said:

This whole thing always gets under my skin;

Moving, cutting grass, repairing/maintenance on your vehicles (by the way, I caught a guy at an auto repair shop putting on a used oil filter during an oil change), changing lights, planting a tree, repairing a leaking pipe, things that require immediate action (glowing wire in a breaker panel), ect..................................................

Makes just about all of us guilty.

Very true. Speeding is illegal back home too, but normally not enforced unless excessive in their eyes, no different here.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

The fact remains that if a "uniform" uses what is written in his rule book, for what ever "reason", regarding a farang doing building work, the farang could have a cash layout problem..

And/or a visa problem.

1 minute ago, transam said:

The fact remains that if a "uniform" uses what is written in his rule book, for what ever "reason", regarding a farang doing building work, the farang could have a cash layout problem..

True. very true. :cheesy:

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you build a house on somebody else's land and you don't have a good agreement on paper, you have nothing. 

not quite nothing. there will be a house on somebody's land. and going forward from here, it's gonna be quite different than the past.

depending on where it is located... the land owner might have gobs of trouble just finding someone to stay on their property to keep an eye on it.  and renting will be something of the past. 

in my village only old people are left, and a few younger folks who are barely here to ever do anything except watch a little TV, "ab nom" and sleep. and there are fewer and fewer of those.

depends on where you are... and... 

the demographics esp. in Thailand mean going forward land is something you pay taxes for owning, can't divide up to sell in small patches before you die.... and maybe can't ever even sell at some point.

Edited by maewang99

Thanx again for the replies.

Still no hard evidence for cases where farangs have been processed for building or taking care of their own property. Despite the "obvious" wording of the law.

So I'll assume all is fine - but will take the fine advice to talk to the local immigration officer just to make sure and sleep well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, valerian said:

Still no hard evidence for cases where farangs have been processed for building or taking care of their own property. Despite the "obvious" wording of the law.

So I'll assume all is fine - but will take the fine advice to talk to the local immigration officer just to make sure and sleep well.

But do NOT speak to anyone at the desk, get a Thai speaker to ask to talk to the guy in charge....Trust me....:stoner:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maewang99 said:

not quite nothing. there will be a house on somebody's land. and going forward from here, it's gonna be quite different than the past.

depending on where it is located... the land owner might have gobs of trouble just finding someone to stay on their property to keep an eye on it.  and renting will be something of the past. 

in my village only old people are left, and a few younger folks who are barely here to ever do anything except watch a little TV, "ab nom" and sleep. and there are fewer and fewer of those.

depends on where you are... and... 

the demographics esp. in Thailand mean going forward land is something you pay taxes for owning, can't divide up to sell in small patches before you die.... and maybe can't ever even sell at some point.

If you don't have a deal on paper the land owner can destroy the house without a problem.

20 hours ago, valerian said:

Why you want to talk to the local Immigration Office unless you need advice about your Visa or extension of stay.

Try the ministry of Labor, that is the only office who know all the rules about Work Permits.

• Like 1