I want to buy a good mattress.

Bay Ridge

20 hours ago, balo said:

If you live in Bangkok , why don't you buy one at IKEA?   You'll get a very comfortable matress from 10000 baht. Half price compared with others if you compare the quality . 

You can get a pocket sprung mattress from 7990 . 

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/24828/

hyllestad-pocket-sprung-mattress-white__

And it's already expensive for what it is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, whoareyou said:

I looked at Ikea but all their mattress can be carried or deliverd as they are rolled up! I struggled understanding how a mattress of any quality can be rolled up.

Do you know anything called internet ? Then you could understand that buying a standard mattress is what people were doing last century, but now many startup around the world sell rolled mattress that are as good or even better than what most people think is good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whoareyou said:

I looked on their website and all of them showed a pic of the mattress flat and rolled, that put me off but I will go out there and have a look

some very comfortable foam mattresses can be rolled but they don't last long...

I had an unusable mattress once in Vietnam (it was like a box spring) and I complained and they shrugged: 'it is what it is...' the accommodation had other attractive features (bungalow on the beach and small but usable kitchen) so I had to improvise...

and I foraged fer mattress covers and finally layered it so that I could sleep...I had a demanding daily schedule and sleep was important...

but it's best to get one that is properly designed for it's intended purpose...and that usually costs money...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Do you know anything called internet ? Then you could understand that buying a standard mattress is what people were doing last century, but now many startup around the world sell rolled mattress that are as good or even better than what most people think is good.

Heard of a thing called quality?

There is a reason why ikea mattress are cheap roll ups.

The Homepro next to the Big C on Ratchada have great deals on mattresses. Slumberland, Sealy, Dunlopillo etc. I picked up a king size Slumberland for my spare bedroom and with the discount and a Homepro member card it came in at just under 10k. Apart from their normal display they often have the best discount ones on display as just behind the tills as you leave.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:16 AM, whoareyou said:

I looked at Ikea but all their mattress can be carried or deliverd as they are rolled up! I struggled understanding how a mattress of any quality can be rolled up.

My wife recently bought us a king size mattress for almost 30,000 baht. I tried it in store and it seemed soft enough. Got it delivered and after we slept the first night it felt nothing like when I tried it.

In Canada I bought a mattress in a box from Wallmart. I think converted to Thai baht it was less than 9000. I can honestly say it was a pretty good mattress for the money and now I regret not buying the mattress at Ikea as it would have probably been a better choice. It probably wouldn't last long, though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

..... I regret not buying the mattress at Ikea as it would have probably been a better choice. It probably wouldn't last long, though.

As far as I know (some of?) the sprung mattresses at Ikea (not the foam ones) come with a 25 year warranty. Having had some experience of Ikea after-sales service here I suspect that the small print may say "actual use of mattress for sleeping voids warranty", but you never know.

As I mentioned, my foam one seems fine after two years. It will be easy to get a replacement if it ever fails as you can even carry them on the bus if you dont have a car.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Their are many good mattresses. Homepro has atter od selection and it is best if you can catch a sale. I bought a top of the line Sealy 11 years ago and it is one of the best investments I have made in Thailand. Nothing like a good mattress for a good sleep.

we to bought a sealy base,mattress,headboard,and they gave us plenty of bedding,king size,othorpedic mattress that was 8yrs.ago and i am not that small,but its still like new,its not had to be turned round.

PRICE 35,000BHT.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:46 PM, transam said:

^Absolutely outstanding Mattress. Better then ones I had in the US. 15 year warranty. They have them for all types of sleepers. (Side, Back, Stomach etc). Extremely well made. Hypo allergenic, I would look at some big malls for the Mattress expos. That's how we bought ours. Wife watched for the sales. They usually will include a mattress pad, set of sheets and 2 Dunlopilla Pillows also includes free delivery and all that. Ours was about 30k baht and worth every penny. That's about same price in the US for a middle of the road Sealy. If you purchase a cheap mattress you will regret it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

even better spec and price at chinese shop-house in udon thani - 4,000 baht

Nonsense , you guys lives in the stone age, 

IKEA mattresses comes with 25 year warranty , the sprung mattress called Hyllestad is 17000 baht for a king size 180 x 200 and its the best mattress I ever owned in Thailand. 

Its better than any Index mattress that cost 40k or any 5k mattress that feels like a rock to sleep on.

http://www.ikea.com/th/en/catalog/products/10244413/#/50244393

If you live in Bangkok , why don't you buy one at IKEA?   You'll get a very comfortable matress from 10000 baht. Half price compared with others if you compare the quality . 

I looked at IKEA website too all very good and went to pay.......errrm can't pay online you have to physically go to the shop :blink: ...they will deliver for an extra cost....someone please tell me that's not true anymore and they now take credit and debit cards online ?

16 minutes ago, balo said:

IKEA mattresses comes with 25 year warranty , the sprung mattress called Hyllestad is 17000 baht for a king size 180 x 200 and its the best mattress I ever owned in Thailand. 

Its better than any Index mattress that cost 40k or any 5k mattress that feels like a rock to sleep on.

I wish I had known this before we plonked 30k on a crap mattress. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, johng said:

I looked at IKEA website too all very good and went to pay.......errrm can't pay online you have to physically go to the shop :blink: ...they will deliver for an extra cost....someone please tell me that's not true anymore and they now take credit and debit cards online ?

I think they have some sort of delivery/purchase outlet in Phuket. Apart from that you have to visit the shop in person to pay. A bit backwards in this day and age, I agree.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Or you can use Bangkok personal shopper service.

2 hours ago, balo said:

The wife and I needed to buy a new mattress this past month, so we took a trip out to IKEA Bangna after first checking their various mattresses and pricing on their website.

Went in looking in particular at two different models:

--the first one, they only had on the showroom floor in the regular firmness, not the hard firmness that we wanted.

--the second one they had on the showroom floor and in the hard firmness that we wanted. Went to check with the sales clerk, and were told that model was out of stock and they wouldn't have new stock in for a couple weeks.

Ended up buying a new Sealy Posturepedic that was on-sale nearby at the Robinson's store in the mall there. About 17Kb for a listed 21,900b king size mattress only (no headboard or frame) with free delivery.

--------------------------------------------

Interesting little quirk that I'd run into before mattress shopping here. Both Robinson and the nearby Home Pro both had Sealy Posturepedic mattresses on supposed sale, and both had Sealy brochures with the details of the various mattresses.  But none of the model names of the Sealy mattresses were the same from store to store, even though the actual mattresses were the same.

I guess they do that to try to prevent the shopper from comparison shopping. So you see a Sealy Posturepedic Lucern model at Robinson, but won't see that same name model at Home Pro. Instead, HomePro has that exact same mattress, but in their store, it's called a Sealy Posturepedic Purity -- exactly the same down to the last spec and even the brochure pricing, just different model names.

In the end, we bought from Robinson, because the sales clerk was willing to negotiate a couple thousand baht down from their listed SALE price after we said we didn't want their various offered add-ons like a sheet set, pillows, etc.  The Home Pro sales clerk just said the sale price is the sale price, and that was the end of it. So that was the end of them!

Ran into exactly the same thing a few years back when comparison shopping for  a Lotus brand mattress between Tesco and Big C. Same exact mattress and brand, but model names different between the two different stores.

BTW, from our conversation with the Robinson's staff and the purchase paperwork we received, the Sealy Posturepedic mattresses sold here apparently are manufactured in Samut Prakan. When we asked about delivery, they said it would take about a week, because they had to manufacture our mattress as a result of our order.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

^Absolutely outstanding Mattress. Better then ones I had in the US. 15 year warranty. They have them for all types of sleepers. (Side, Back, Stomach etc). Extremely well made. Hypo allergenic, I would look at some big malls for the Mattress expos. That's how we bought ours. Wife watched for the sales. They usually will include a mattress pad, set of sheets and 2 Dunlopilla Pillows also includes free delivery and all that. Ours was about 30k baht and worth every penny. That's about same price in the US for a middle of the road Sealy. If you purchase a cheap mattress you will regret it. 

http://www.lazada.co.th/dunlopillo-orchid-plus-king-size-6-3367117.html?ff=1

2 hours ago, johng said:

AFAIK, you or someone has to actually go to the IKEA store to complete the purchase. Delivery to central BKK is 590 baht.  No purchasing online with IKEA Thailand, AFAIK, but you can use credit or debit cards for the purchase in-store.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I just got a promotion flyer from Lotus in the mail. Brands they have include Dunloppillo. Click on either picture for a larger size. 

Curiously, as an American, I've never heard the name/brand Dunloppilo before seeing it posted in this thread.

In checking, it looks like their presence as a mattress brand is pretty much confined to Europe and Asia -- and nothing in the U.S., which presumably explains why I've never heard of them.

58de98108df6c_2017-04-0100_49.jpg.ec5dd5333286885e756bff6c31c35ee3.jpg

At the very bottom of the Dunloppilo World website, there's a tiny logo that says they are part of the Pikolin Group Europe. And from what I can see, the Pikolin Group seems to be some kind of originally Spanish mattress manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikolin

For their Thailand branch, I see they are headquartered in Samut Prakan, which seems to be the mattress making hub for Thailand, Presumably, Dunloppilo Thailand's mattresses are manufactured here and sold under the international brand name, just like many/most of the others.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dunloppilo Thailand's mattresses are manufactured here and sold under the international brand name, just like many/most of the others.

And that explains why the prices are more competitive compared to other imports.  A big king size mattress seem to be around 10k .   Never tried it but I will next time. 

• Like 1

Note I said "presumably" in front of my comment above.

I do know that's certainly the case with Sealy Posturepedic, as that (local manufacturing) was confirmed to us when we made the recent mattress purchase I mentioned above.

More broadly, needless to say, mattresses are big and tend to be heavy, so the cost of sending them long distances from country to country isn't going to be cheap.  There may be some actually "imported" mattresses available here, presumably at very high prices. But I'd wager that vast majority, regardless of the brand name they're being sold under, are being manufactured right here in good ole' LOS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Note I said "presumably" in front of my comment above.

I do know that's certainly the case with Sealy Posturepedic, as that (local manufacturing) was confirmed to us when we made the recent mattress purchase I mentioned above.

More broadly, needless to say, mattresses are big and tend to be heavy, so the cost of sending them long distances from country to country isn't going to be cheap.  There may be some actually "imported" mattresses available here, presumably at very high prices. But I'd wager that vast majority, regardless of the brand name they're being sold under, are being manufactured right here in good ole' LOS.

Also correct. Nice to meet someone who understands this world. Doesn't happen often.

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 0:46 PM, transam said:

No offense mate but that website tells you sweet FA . I cant find anything about sidesleepers or specials or even prices. My apologies if the link isnt correct but I got nothing from that website. All I want is a grouse king size mattress. That website near impossible to navigate like many Thai websites. Where they post the specials?

5 minutes ago, starky said:

No offense mate but that website tells you sweet FA . I cant find anything about sidesleepers or specials or even prices. My apologies if the link isnt correct but I got nothing from that website. All I want is a grouse king size mattress. That website near impossible to navigate like many Thai websites. Where they post the specials?

Think my link was to show Dunlopillo are in LOS....Perhaps a Thai reader cam make more of it....There are other links regarding Dunlopillo in LOS...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Think my link was to show Dunlopillo are in LOS....Perhaps a Thai reader cam make more of it....There are other links regarding Dunlopillo in LOS...

Sorry bruv they way I read was that you had picked up a mattress from them 

Try this Link for more information. http://www.dunlopillo.co.uk/

Being an American as well, I had never heard of them. I researched Dunlopillo before I bought. I did a 2 hour "lounge around on them" at the big home life expo. I was impressed and depending on how you swing the deal they will deliver for free out of BKK. I have 2, one from the "Grace Series" which is comfortable and firm. I cant remember the other but it was a bit more money but extremely comfortable. 

Edited by JAFO
  • Like 2