Insurance for a car sold thai to thai

glegolo

Hi guys, I am seeking your esteemed help in this matter. My wife bought today a Honda City secondhand from a friend who also is a thai.

We did find out that there is a valid insurance on the car, and it is valid until january 2018... Almost a year from now. I tried to talk to my wife, who is of the opinion that this insurance is valid for our benefit, in spite of the fact, that we have changed name of ownership of this car. So in fact the insurance is in the former owners name and NOT in my wifes name. She claims that the insurance is on the car, and NOT on the insuree....

I like to have this absolutely right, and I am therefore asking you guys for any input to help us out. So I guess that my question is just; Can we use this insurance and just drive on. and trust that if something happens,  this insurance is valid and covers whatever it says.....????

Plse if you know, let me know what to expect... Is my wife correct, or should I buy another expensive insurance....

Thanks for your help....

Glegolo

are you talking government insurance which is done at the same time as the yearly tax, or a separate class 1,2 or lower insurance.

in both cases you should be fine, but you need to know what you have.

42 minutes ago, steve187 said:

are you talking government insurance which is done at the same time as the yearly tax, or a separate class 1,2 or lower insurance.

in both cases you should be fine, but you need to know what you have.

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Insurance is on the car in Thailand.

sent using Tapatalk

This is great guys, many thanks.......

Glegolo

Insurance is on the car as Steven stated, only problem could be is if the previous owner whose name the policy is in cancels it for a cash rebate, we sold a vehicle with first class insurance on it but did not include the insurance in the deal and got a cash rebate just by phoning the insurance co and cancelling the policy

46 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Insurance is on the car as Steven stated, only problem could be is if the previous owner whose name the policy is in cancels it for a cash rebate, we sold a vehicle with first class insurance on it but did not include the insurance in the deal and got a cash rebate just by phoning the insurance co and cancelling the policy

Well this was really good to know, thank you for that.

Will talk to seller and check.. a bit...

Glegolo

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Our 1st class insurance is only for My wife and I as named drivers, so no good for anyone else.

Ahaa, so it is NOT written in stone that the insurance solely is on the car??? It is connected to the drivers as well???

Glegolo

38 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Ahaa, so it is NOT written in stone that the insurance solely is on the car??? It is connected to the drivers as well???

Glegolo

You can have nominated drivers usually 2 drivers which makes the cost of the policy cheaper, or just a open policy where any licensed driver is covered who drives the vehicle , most people have the policy that covers all drivers, its not a lot dearer and covers you in any situation as far as drivers go, both policy types are on the vehicle not the driver/drivers

Edited by madmax2

48 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

You can have nominated drivers usually 2 drivers which makes the cost of the policy cheaper, or just a open policy where any licensed driver is covered who drives the vehicle , most people have the policy that covers all drivers, its not a lot dearer and covers you in any situation as far as drivers go, both policy types are on the vehicle not the driver/drivers

Great good to know... I must thank you guys for all info given here... you learn as long as you live, and talking about that. I was under the impressation from my wife that there were this insurance on the car, and it was being paid for until 6 january 2018...

I went out this morning, and saw what she had pointed at in the dark 2 nights ago, which was supposed to be the mark of the insurance in the windshield.. Bullshit, it was the tax-receipt only.... I went into our newly bought car and found 3 insurance policys; 2012-2013, 2013-14 and 2014-15.... And NOTHING after that, so I had to stop wifey here to drive the car a simple meter uninsured..

And I am wifeys worst enimy today.... Cause her solution to the situation is that she takes the car and drive "carefully", and then all good" she thinks...  Do I need to say that I took the keys for now, at least until we have bought a full cover insurance.. Later on today I heard that the sellers (female) brother was given money to pay for the insurance,, and probably just didn´t care, and took the money and did something else with it....

OK I know this is Thailand populated with thai people.... so why supriced..

Glegolo

15 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Well I saved 5000 by just having 2 named drivers, also good to stop others wanting to borrow, sorry no.

53 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Well I saved 5000 by just having 2 named drivers, also good to stop others wanting to borrow, sorry no.

A good move, we did the same .... must be just about the first thing that we have agreed on. We are still pleased with the EV Boat, but instead of going for the Focus, to replace the Lantis, we went for the RS Civic. So maybe we can agree that was a good move also ... :smile::smile:

And with our policy if someone else uses the car and has an accident we have to pay the first not much over 5K thb. Amazing Thailand Car Insurance ....

May I ask another thing. The car is now being sold to us (my wife) Buyt have heard about this stuff with something called Timing-belt (cvorrect name in english??) If that one goes off than it will be really expensive. I like to go to Honda and ask them about this and see if it is time already now to change it and buy a new one...

But to do that here in isaan, maybe it is good to know this name is thai, so anybody knows Timing-belt in thai??? Would be grateful for any help..

Glegolo