Chinese submarine proposal fails to surface at Cabinet

webfact

Chinese submarine proposal fails to surface at Cabinet
By Wasamon Audjarint 
The Nation

db5f80f10eeea3119d5b5097953dc01d.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Despite speculation, a proposal on the multi-billion purchase of Chinese submarines was not delivered to the Cabinet yesterday.

Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen. Wongsuwan had said that the submarine purchase would definitely be put in front of the Cabinet, though there was no timeline given. 

It was speculated that proposal might have been made yesterday as the Budget Bureau required all governmental agencies to make a budget proposal no more than a billion baht by this month. The submarine's first installment is expected to cost Bt800 million. 

The total purchase would cost Bt36 billion for three Yuan Class S26 T submarines. The vessels each costs Bt1.8 billion but Thailand has been granted a "buy two get three" deal from China, with a weapons system and after-sales services. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday said that the Bt36-billion deal is a "friendly price". 

"This is a long-term plan and I will proceed accordingly," the prime minister said. 

The deal for the used submarines has been pursued for some time. Two attempts have been made to buy vessels in the past. In 1995 Thailand pursued a Swedish Gotland submarine and in 2011 it sought a German 206A-class vessel. Both deals failed. 

The current junta revitalized the submarine plan, taking deals from six countries into consideration, and eventually chose China, which promised that services such as equipment, training and port building would be provided together with the purchase. 

Earlier this month, Prawit brought military chiefs to see submarine maintenance center, set up for future submarines, in the Naval Dockyard Department in Chonburi. 

The visit brought public attention that updates on the proposal for the giant vessels might come soon. 

However, Prawit said yesterday that the submarine issue still lingered at his ministry.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310595

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-29

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The government has been spending like drunken sailors over the past few years and it would be easy to believe the their piggy bank is now empty. It is likely to remain that way until Thaksin helps top it up with back taxes and a whole new suite of taxes and duties are levied to make up the shortfall. 

When piggy starts to rattle again and the time is right they will splurge it on the submarines, strike aircraft and tanks; none of which do anything to improve the economy or restore the decaying infrastructure.

Money's ran out and there trying to work out how they can get out of this without losing face ! Any normal country and powers that be would just say we feel we can't justify this expense and move on . Not in Thailand though . The Mercs will already be ordered ! 

So are they really "used submarines", according to the OP, and not brand-new at all ? :wink:

Perhaps the Cabinet should put this in the 'mull-and-forget' study-file, or offer the RTN more patrol-boats, instead.:whistling: 

There are better uses for the money, like the SRT's track-dualling scheme or a third runway at Swampy, both of which will generate more economic-activity for Thailand !

Have read up on this recently and it seems said ,although not clear , that New would take 5/6 years to build and supply etc. So we will know very soon if they appear in the next year there second hand for sure.. Onre story has it thee a upgraded model and spec is something between two existing models . But who,knows ?!! another the General I would imagine even as all he seems to be excited about is the three for two offer ! 

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

The government has been spending like drunken sailors over the past few years and it would be easy to believe the their piggy bank is now empty. It is likely to remain that way until Thaksin helps top it up with back taxes and a whole new suite of taxes and duties are levied to make up the shortfall. 

When piggy starts to rattle again and the time is right they will splurge it on the submarines, strike aircraft and tanks; none of which do anything to improve the economy or restore the decaying infrastructure.

U were going okay till U mentioned Thaksin, then the wheels fell off your argument.......................................:cheesy:

One would assume that this has been passed by the defense expenditure committee and treasury has fully costed the purchase, good , appears cracks have surfaced in the grand scheme of things, on another point I noticed the wording Prime Minister all in lower case  in the article,  this is disrespectful to the office, however as the present incumbent is not elected to that position , you're forgiven......................:cheesy:  

Unbelievably stupid purchase of these submarines, with absolutely no logic provided as to why they need them other than for their image.

This country is crying out for investment in projects way more useful than this utter stupidity.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Unbelievably stupid purchase of these submarines, with absolutely no logic provided as to why they need them other than for their image.

This country is crying out for investment in projects way more useful than this utter stupidity.

Never ever apply logical thinking to Thai decision making, never, ever, under any circumstances, is that now fully understood, as we won't tell you again, ok? 

7 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Not sure which is more stupid. Buying the submarines or celebrating Submarine Day on the 6 September religiously every year. BTW, this year is the 76th anniversary of Submarine Day and most years there are no submarines. :sleepy: The antics of the army bewildered me most of the times. :sleepy: Funny but mostly sad. 

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Thaksin?

Helping?

The country?

Funny!

I just wonder what kind of software backdoors will be built in.

Most certainly making it impossible to use the subs against anything Chinese.

Edited by hansnl

They can't buy used submarines, no 300 new firetrucks, had payment issues with siemens about the skytrains, the skytrain to don mueang airport never was finished, narawin road also has hundreds of concrete columns built, the 500 new buses are still not delivered, near impact mueang thong thanii are 10 unfinished skyscrapers, a scandal with Rolls Royce is going on, the ghost-tower in Sathorn was never finished.

Well let's see how this deal with the chinese turns out, it's time for a new chapter.

4 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

used submarines?? Thats expensive then for second-hand cast-offs, I thought they where new but 10 years out of date.

They will be further out of date by the time the navy learns how to start them up...5555

My advice to the boys in green; take less obvious "investment opportunities". Submarines in the Thai navy are a joke and not seen in 55 years.

Go for 100 helicopters or 50 jet fighters at a time; easier to understand and able to literally fly below the radar ! 

47 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Not sure which is more stupid.

You can add this thai-breaker:

On July 7, 2014 Thailand officially inaugurated a submarine squadron at Sattahip naval base in Chon Buri province. They were to train on a German submarine simulator, which is reportedly linked to an anti-submarine simulator operated by Fleet Training Command. The Navy had also been sending people to Germany and South Korea for training. http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/thailands-new-second-hand-submarines-06817/

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

not sure if that or the aircraft carrier with no aircraft is more funny.

Split it 50/50 as they are reasonably similar in the  stupidity stakes. 

7 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

You can add this thai-breaker:

On July 7, 2014 Thailand officially inaugurated a submarine squadron at Sattahip naval base in Chon Buri province. They were to train on a German submarine simulator, which is reportedly linked to an anti-submarine simulator operated by Fleet Training Command. The Navy had also been sending people to Germany and South Korea for training. http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/thailands-new-second-hand-submarines-06817/

Just add to the list of stupidity which now include aircraft carrier with no aircraft, blimp that does not fly, GT 200 "divining rods" and Submarine Day. These guys are running the country. Goodness !!! 

Admiral Ho Lee Fuk of the Chinese Navy says he can't wait to get a Chinese sub maintenance base in Thailand. "All part of our long term plan. And the Thais will pay for it." He said.

Vice Admiral Wee Too Low of the Chinese Navy echoed that sentiment. "We can thumb nose at USA and visit Pattaya, a city Americans started. Spanky's a go go is my favorite."

Thailand is a 'windfall' for other countries wanting to get rid of their 'obsolete' junk...............

Just like the Aircraft Carrier just sitting and 'rusting-away' in Sattahip...... All of it's obsolete aircraft no longer are safe or able to fly so they don't have any Aircraft for their Aircraft Carrier.........

And a few years back it was in Thai News that said they couldn't afford to 'top up' the fuel so the Carrier may only participate in 'excercises' once a month.......... I go by it's dock often and never see it out of port.....

And now they want 3 more 'Rust Buckets'............ LOL............

I am just 77 years old now but I remember as a child about 7,  back in the late 1940's, In the USA, My father who had been a seaman most his life....... He bought a 110 foot wooden-hull Submarine Chaser from US Govt. Surplus then some years later he bought a 136 foot wooden-hull Mine-Sweeper..... Both Navy Ships had had the guns and classified equipment removed. He wanted to make 'work-boats' out of them with no luck...... But as a child it was 'fabulous' living on these vessels for a couple years each (in Los Angeles Harbor)......

Now, in Thailand I am witnessing a similar 'scene' and I can't help but wonder if all that money wouldn't improve Thailand more if it was spent on 'Free Schools'......... I might be wrong but seems I heard Thai schools are only free up to the 6th year.......... In any case the Thai's need better education..... (And especially "SEX EDUCATION" in school so that SO MANY YOUNG GIRLS won't have to go out and sell their bodies after getting babies from young 'Thai-Guys' (who never stick-around to take care)..........

IMHO (and HINT-HINT)...... With better education, and SEX-ED........ Pattaya (and Thailand) May not need to be a sex-capital of the world...............

Better education............ and not 'Submarines'.............