New passport application rejected - visa expires next week!

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The old PP's corner is only cut off when the new one has been received .

That is the moment the old PP becomes invalid .

I know the UK says that you cannot travel on old PP after you have applied for a new one, but, I beg to differ

From what has been stated in earlier posts the existing passport is canceled in the UK passport offices records when they process the application for the new one. If you were to travel with it and had a problem that caused some authority to check with the UK to see if was still valid it could be a big problem.

So the take away for the story is apply early for your new passport allowing time for errors. Make sure you get your old passport back to get the information visa etc. transferred to the new one. Always tick off the box "do you want your old passport back"

• Like 1

Maybe the Canadian Embassy is better at looking after us BUT I wonder why do you need an agent to renew your passport it seems very simple at least for us CANUCKS.  You fill in the papers get the photos hand in the application photos and your passport as well as the processing fee and you get a call telling you it is ready.

As to the pold passport if it has less than 6 months left there may be an issue.

My suggestion is to forget about tht take the old passport to UK Embassy and get the temporary emergency passport

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

Maybe the Canadian Embassy is better at looking after us BUT I wonder why do you need an agent to renew your passport it seems very simple at least for us CANUCKS.  You fill in the papers get the photos hand in the application photos and your passport as well as the processing fee and you get a call telling you it is ready.

The UK is precisely the same.  You are quite free to do the application yourself.  The agent is optional in case 2 trips to Bangkok are too much for you.

4 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Thanks a lot for all your feedback - I will pass it on to my friend and suggest that he retrieves his old passport and use that to apply for an extension as discussed.

Do you know whether his new passport start date will be set at the date UK passport office received the application  in early March, or at the grant date when they have received the new photos? If it is the former, do you think it might look a bit odd when he applies for a new visa to have an extension stamp dated in the old passport after the date the new passport was issued?

My friend is in Nakhon Si Thammarat and agent is in Pattaya so he has to decide quickly whether to ask agent to DHL the old passport so he can do application himself or whether to DHL photos for the application so the agent can do it.

My friend thought that he would have to apply for the extension in person - so is it acceptable for an agent to do this for him?

If he can get the agent to do it I agree that is the least the agent should do in the circumstances!

The new passport will be dated from the printing date for up to a maximum of 10 years 9 months, depending on the date the current passport expires. As the passport office does not have suitable photos it will not be printed yet. You have a maximum of 6 weeks to supply the correct photos or the application will be cancelled, the fee will not be refunded.

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

The UK is precisely the same.  You are quite free to do the application yourself.  The agent is optional in case 2 trips to Bangkok are too much for you.

You cannot mail EMS it to the UK embassy in Bangkok??

9 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

So the take away for the story is apply early for your new passport allowing time for errors. Make sure you get your old passport back to get the information visa etc. transferred to the new one. Always tick off the box "do you want your old passport back"

When I renewed mine back in 2015 I did it all myself from here. It was due for renewal in May 2015 and I started the renewal process in February, a full 3 months ahead of time, just in case of a problem. The problem that I had it that the Passport Office in the UK would not accept my Thai debit card but they would accept my friends so I used hers and transferred the money to her next day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

No.  Applications must be made in person (meaning by a person, not necessarily the applicant).

Thanks for the reply I find it rather weird that they do not accept EMS but accept a total stranger unrelated to the passport holder walking in to make the application. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The old PP's corner is only cut off when the new one has been received .

That is the moment the old PP becomes invalid .

I know the UK says that you cannot travel on old PP after you have applied for a new one, but, I beg to differ

I have cut the corners myself in the past to stop immigration stamping in that passport! (old passport had valid visa's in it)

If you "beg to differ" try it and let us know please? would it be worth it if you were wrong!

46 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Not for a UK passport, it has been many years since that was possible if ever. Also not for a USA passport either, that was stopped last year.

Never been possible for a UK passport, I have had a few! remember the old big blue passports, you could get them with 90 pages.

Edited by CGW

12 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have cut the corners myself in the past to stop immigration stamping in that passport! (old passport had valid visa's in it)

If you "beg to differ" try it and let us know please? would it be worth it if you were wrong!

When I applied for a new UK PP in 2012 , it was sent by post from HK and thus the corner wasnt cut of from my old UK PP .

I was still able to travel on the old passport, whilst the application for the new one was in process .

When I applied for my latest UK PP in 2016 , the corner was cut off at the same time that I received my new PP

I do believe that this is a grey area .

The UK doesnt inform Thai immigration that you have applied for a new PP , so theres no way of them knowing that you PP is invalid .

Do they take any steps in the UK to make the old PP invalid ?

If they did indeed make the old PP invalid and unusable , then there would be no need to cut a corner off .

Also, if you were in Thailand with no valid travel documents or ID, would nt that then make you here illegally ?

And, if you did travel on an old PP with corners still intact , what could and would the UK do about it ?

7 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Does not UK passport have biometric data?

I have to apply in person so they can scan my fingerprints..

I don't think the UK includes fingerprints for the biometrics. Not all countries include fingerprints.

I have a biometric passport but they did not take my fingerprints when I applied for it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The UK doesnt inform Thai immigration that you have applied for a new PP , so theres no way of them knowing that you PP is invalid .

Do they take any steps in the UK to make the old PP invalid ?

As I wrote in an earlier post on this topic. They cancel the passport in their records when they process the application for the new one. If you were to travel and somebody for some reason wanted to very your passport with the UK they would be informed it was no longer valid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As I wrote in an earlier post on this topic. They cancel the passport in their records when they process the application for the new one. If you were to travel and somebody for some reason wanted to very your passport with the UK they would be informed it was no longer valid.

It also states on the application form that it becomes invalid! no further arguing or discussion required! You would be in the wrong!

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do believe that this is a grey area .

There is No "grey" area, you can choose to believe what you want but you would be traveling on a invalid document!

What would they do? - don't know and don't intend to find out!

I'm sure if you were found to be traveling by immigration anywhere in the world on a invalid PP they wouldn't give your "grey area" much substance!

Edited by CGW

13 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I thought that you need at least 6 months on a passport in order to get an extension of stay.

There is no 6 month requirement to apply for an extension. You only need enough passport validity for the length of the extension. If shorter than the extensions normal validity it will issued up to the date the passport expires.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

op.post page 1,line 9.

passport office has advised,the OLD PASSPORT HAS BEEN CANCELLED so CANNOT be used for travel.

if the corner has been cut and his old passport stamped cancelled.wether immigration would except it.

who was the agent?

In Thailand, the corner is not cut off the old passport until you pick up the new one.

The cancellation of the old passport does technically make it invalid for travel, but (as a practical matter) the airline systems and regional immigration have no access to resources that show this. I know multiple people who have successfully traveled regionally using the old passport (during a period a couple of years ago when UK passport applications were taking months).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Do you know whether his new passport start date will be set at the date UK passport office received the application  in early March, or at the grant date when they have received the new photos? If it is the former, do you think it might look a bit odd when he applies for a new visa to have an extension stamp dated in the old passport after the date the new passport was issued?

It wouldn't matter or affect anything. You are allowed to have/use two passports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chickenrunCM said:

wow, so theBristish passport has no chip with fingerprints data saved? How they can travel to USA as this is a must if you enter the USA

It has a chip but no fingerprints are on it. The US does not fingerprint people to get a US passport either.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

From what has been stated in earlier posts the existing passport is canceled in the UK passport offices records when they process the application for the new one. If you were to travel with it and had a problem that caused some authority to check with the UK to see if was still valid it could be a big problem.

The old passport is cancelled, when the new passport is produced, otherwise everybody would be illeagal in any country if applying outside Great Britain for a new passport as you allowed only to stay in a country with a valid passport.

I don´t know about the british but a German passport will be send to your adress if you wish and you pay the postage

• Like 2

The chip contains, as UJ states, the biometric and other information of the holder, so in the case of a UK passport it has everything you can see on the main photo page of the passport stored in there including the photo, when it is used in an e-gate (at an entry point where it can be), then your face is scanned and then compared to the biometric info contained in the chip, so no chip = no e-gate usage.

Apparently this method is far more secure than using fingerprints for positive identification.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/information-contained-on-uk-passports/

Edited by Mattd

My friend used a Pattaya agent to get his British passport renewed.

He is very worried.

You should be very worried. Sorry, that's all I can say. There's no loophole I know of. 

Your friend is you, right?

Edited by ajarngreg