Irishman 'critically wounded' in Suvarnabhumi Airport plunge

webfact

Irishman 'critically wounded' in BKK airport plunge

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

14594910161459491059l.jpg  

File photo by Matichon

BANGKOK — An Irish tourist was critically injured Thursday morning after falling from the fourth floor at Suvarnabhumi Airport, police said, describing the plunge as intentional.

The 32-year-old man took an escalator to the fourth floor of the airport’s departure hall before jumping over the railing onto the ground below, according to Monthian Baothong, chief of the airport police station. The incident reportedly took place at 6:35 am.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2017/03/30/irishman-critically-wounded-bkk-airport-plunge/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-30

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

The headline says An Irish tourist was critically injured  Did you fail geography at school?

Headline -Irishman 'critically wounded' in BKK airport plunge

Lead Line - BANGKOK — An Irish tourist was critically injured Thursday morning after falling from the fourth floor at Suvarnabhumi Airport, police said, describing the plunge as intentional.

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

The headline says An Irish tourist was critically injured  Did you fail geography a school. 

Seems mine and others have a headline saying wounded, did you fail reading comprehension? 

Edited by Artisi

59 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

The headline says An Irish tourist was critically injured  Did you fail geography at school?

Those from Northern Ireland are both from Ireland & the U.K. and can hold both an Irish & British passport.

My sympathies, with a caveat: It's terrible of him to make a public drama of his suicide. He could have landed on top of people and severely injured or killed them. Not to mention the traumatised bystanders.

Seek help, avoid booze and drugs, fix your life, and don't endanger other people with any rash public displays.

'The airport has been the scene of many suicides since it opened in 2006. There were so many in 2013 that Airports of Thailand announced it would spend 30 million baht to erect glass barriers to deter jumpers.'

It's only been four years since so maybe they haven't got around to it yet. Maybe haven't even formed a few committees to look into it before giving the contract to a company and then finding there were 'irregularities' due to the contractor's daughter knowing someone who once met the committee chairman's mia noi at a spa in Switzerland.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Wounded, did someone push him?

If of his own making surely its injured?

But as Thailand is the hub of screwed up English - no problems I guess.

Irish not English and he jumped, best to read properly before commenting.

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Yes, at first i thought he had been shot, the word injured has the same number of letters but isn't as dramatic.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Thailand is the hub of screwed up English!

Where did you read that BS?

Plus he was Irish! Which is not English?.

A lot of people go through a swirl of emotions at airports. For Westerners flying home or out of Thailand, sadness could be due to a variety of factors: 

a. Don't want to leave the country and/or girlfriend/Thai family but visa and/or money has run out. Fear the girlfriend may not wait for boyfriend's return.

b. A failed relationship/ business 

c. Forced to return home due to serious illness

Of course this sadness is magnified ten times over if the person returning has no real family or friends to go back to.

Excuse the crassness of this question, but I wonder why the person chooses the airport and not some quiet, peaceful place outside- a hotel room, a cliff , whatever.

It must be once arriving and/or checking in at the airport, the finality of the situation just hits home- it's goodbye to Thailand, and in the mind of the potentially suicidal, that's an unbearable reality. It would be interesting to know the background to these tragic figures to grasp why they take such drastic action.

Perhaps it's simply that in this day of mass travel whereby anyone can cross the world at the drop of a hat, some are just not as tough or prepared as travellers of old were, crossing overland or in ships.That required adaption and stamina.