Irishman 'critically wounded' in Suvarnabhumi Airport plunge

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the utmost respect to him and many others who have decided not to go home, it is a little understandable why a person would not want to leave such an idyllic location, especially if they have nothing to go home to. My two cents worth.

Seems to me that as he did it so blatantly in an extremely public place, that gives everyone the right to comment how they like, whether it's with sympathy or scorn.

I don't think he 'lost his life' but basically threw it away. Unless you have a painful terminal illness, suicide is simply a lack of perspective and a stupid idea.

After all that wasted effort in the ThaiVisa news by the Irish and poms bashers it now seem he was an Australian.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-30/australian-dies-after-jumping-from-bangkok-airport-fourth-floor/8402658

He might have had dual passports but he was an Australian.

Readers should be careful about loose media reporting.

Apologies to the Irish by those dishing out the anti- Irish rants should now be forthcoming.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

56 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

suicide is simply a lack of perspective and a stupid idea.

So, to you mental illness is non-existent. Speaking of lack of perspective. And can you please explain what 'stupid idea' means. Maybe you're a non-native English speaker but really, suicide is simply these two things. WOW.

Edited by dinsdale

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Wounded, did someone push him?

If of his own making surely its injured?

But as Thailand is the hub of screwed up English - no problems I guess.

Thailand the hub of screwed up English because a Thai journalist, no doubt under a strict time-frame, i.e. breaking news, uses the word wounded instead of injured. In Thai language, they are sometimes the same word.

In the meantime, the story is about an Irishman, aged 32, throwing himself off the 4th floor of the airport.

If you want to focus on screwed up English language, I suggest you offer free lessons to the multitude of native English posters on Thai Visa who don't know how to use apostrophes or capital letters . And, of course, their spelling. 

24 minutes ago, bannork said:

Thailand the hub of screwed up English because a Thai journalist, no doubt under a strict time-frame, i.e. breaking news, uses the word wounded instead of injured. In Thai language, they are sometimes the same word.

In the meantime, the story is about an Irishman, aged 32, throwing himself off the 4th floor of the airport.

If you want to focus on screwed up English language, I suggest you offer free lessons to the multitude of native English posters on Thai Visa who don't know how to use apostrophes or capital letters . And, of course, their spelling. 

Artisi was correct in what he said, sorry its upset you so much.

<removed>

5 minutes ago, flynn said:

Just been on the news that he died, he was a dual Australian & Irish citizen, he came in on the Irish passport,

Ok, flynn. I'll take this at face value. Now can the rest of you just fkn stop slaggin' the man. The blokes dead. OK. Have some fkn respect.

Edited by dinsdale

2 hours ago, bannork said:

A lot of people go through a swirl of emotions at airports. For Westerners flying home or out of Thailand, sadness could be due to a variety of factors: 

a. Don't want to leave the country and/or girlfriend/Thai family but visa and/or money has run out. Fear the girlfriend may not wait for boyfriend's return.

b. A failed relationship/ business 

c. Forced to return home due to serious illness

Of course this sadness is magnified ten times over if the person returning has no real family or friends to go back to.

Excuse the crassness of this question, but I wonder why the person chooses the airport and not some quiet, peaceful place outside- a hotel room, a cliff , whatever.

It must be once arriving and/or checking in at the airport, the finality of the situation just hits home- it's goodbye to Thailand, and in the mind of the potentially suicidal, that's an unbearable reality. It would be interesting to know the background to these tragic figures to grasp why they take such drastic action.

Perhaps it's simply that in this day of mass travel whereby anyone can cross the world at the drop of a hat, some are just not as tough or prepared as travellers of old were, crossing overland or in ships.That required adaption and stamina.

go from place to place in the world dont attach to none too much...as places are neutral...for somebody else gb or irland is the dream destination ( see refugees, foreign workers etc...they dont see the bad weather rather the opportunity )... it's all in ur thoughts....they change constant...most reality is a matter of perspective ... shift ur focus = shift ur world....never suicide...is useless changes only the body from alive to dead...but how about the mind...???..change there and happiness is possible under the most difficult outside circumstances...I well understand this sermon is of not much help to this fellow in his present injured position..hope he can recover and understand some day these all changing facts..

Poor fella, can't imagine what kind of troubles would cause a person to do such a thing.   But I can't help but to think it would be more efficient from a higher structure.  4th floor you might just break bones but survive, as he has, at least until now.  We may never know as follow up stories are rarely forthcoming.

Irishman jumps to his death
By Sutinan Kongsin
The Nation

c2d4d38edd9f4cfc5d980eac6da57310.jpeg

Alan Paul Grimes

BANGKOK: -- An Irishman jumped to his death at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday despite a glass wall that had been installed at the terminal to prevent suicides.

Authorities said Alan Paul Grimes, 32, threw himself from the fourth floor of the busy airport at about 6.25am.

Although he was rushed to a nearby hospital, he succumbed to his injuries at about 8am.

It is not known why he took his own life. Records show he entered Thailand on Tuesday.

The airport’s security director Kittipong Kittikachorn said that Grimes turned up at the terminal near dawn yesterday and used the escalators to go up to the fourth floor.

“He then slipped around the glass wall and jumped down,” Kittipong said.

The Irish embassy has been alerted and will contact his family.

Kittipong added: “There have been suicidal jumps before. So, we have taken measures to try to prevent such incidents. That’s why we have installed glass wall in many parts of the airport. It’s as high as 2.5 metres.”

He said he would assign engineering staff and relevant officials to determine whether more glass walls were needed.

On March 12, 2015, a foreigner jumped to his death from a corridor linking the airport’s terminal and car-park building.

A year earlier, a Canadian leapt to his death at the airport.

Speaking anonymously, a policeman earlier said three to four foreigners committed suicide at the facility every year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310848

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-31

1 hour ago, whoareyou said:

He entered and jumped within 48 hours?

Just speculating but I'm guessing he came here to try and repair a relationship

Yeah, it would be a quite a record if he just met the family, donated to the sick buffalo and bought a house and found out she has 3 other 'brothers'. 

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

'The airport has been the scene of many suicides since it opened in 2006. There were so many in 2013 that Airports of Thailand announced it would spend 30 million baht to erect glass barriers to deter jumpers.'

It's only been four years since so maybe they haven't got around to it yet. Maybe haven't even formed a few committees to look into it before giving the contract to a company and then finding there were 'irregularities' due to the contractor's daughter knowing someone who once met the committee chairman's mia noi at a spa in Switzerland.

Correct me if I'm wrong but most of those cases were actually outside the departure hall, where there are the walkways from the drop-off zone into the terminal. Those areas have been done.

But it seems that this young chap was inside the terminal itself.

The poor guy probably had gf break up.  This can drive some people over the edge.

It could also be stress and money.

He should have talked to some friend just for 5 minutes may have prevented his action.

Leaving thailand can also be depressing, but whatever his reason he should have just sat down and had a cold beer and thought about the positives.

34 minutes ago, chuang said:

I doubt he wants to die otherwise he would have chosen a higher building. 

No, just wanted to critically injure himself - your logic seems somewhat flawed. 

The reason why newspapers in the west don't report suicides is it encourages other people to grab their '15 minutes of fame' by departing this world in a headline grabbing manner. Seems like leaving a bloody mess for others to clean up is the only way farang can think of leaving this world. Pretty inconsiderate at a place likely to have children passing by, not to mention the risk of landing on some poor sod who has just gotten off a long-haul flight and is pushing their luggage-laden trolley towards an exit in expectations of having a holiday of a life time.  

54 minutes ago, Yme said:

The reason why newspapers in the west don't report suicides is it encourages other people to grab their '15 minutes of fame' by departing this world in a headline grabbing manner. Seems like leaving a bloody mess for others to clean up is the only way farang can think of leaving this world. Pretty inconsiderate at a place likely to have children passing by, not to mention the risk of landing on some poor sod who has just gotten off a long-haul flight and is pushing their luggage-laden trolley towards an exit in expectations of having a holiday of a life time.  

Are you a hater?

17 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

My sympathies, with a caveat: It's terrible of him to make a public drama of his suicide. He could have landed on top of people and severely injured or killed them. Not to mention the traumatised bystanders.

Seek help, avoid booze and drugs, fix your life, and don't endanger other people with any rash public displays.

You have to know that the mind is not quite right on these occasions and that thought would not enter his mind.It would be consumed with whatever the problem was.And maybe the problem still exists,he has just past it on.

42 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

Sorry self inflicted . People should grow up, 

While the overwhelming majority of people will continue to try to cling on to the slippery pole through thick and thin, some cannot...maybe depression or just a moment of madness. That's sad rather than a time to apportion blame.