Prosecutors bow to "Boss's" request for another postponement

webfact

Prosecutors bow to "Boss's" request for another postponement
By The Nation

2d30e8613630533b7caa467e737f9d59.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- PUBLIC PROSECUTORS yesterday seemed to show mercy to the Red Bull founder’s grandson implicated in the 2012 hit-and-run killing of a policeman in the heart of the capital, postponing a decision whether to indict Vorayuth Yoovidhya once again.

The case has been postponed until April 27, Office of the Attorney-General deputy spokesman Prayut Phetkhun said yesterday.

A decision on the indictment had been scheduled for yesterday when Vorayuth – who has been living a lavish lifestyle overseas according to news agency reports – was supposed to present himself to prosecutors. However, his lawyer filed a letter with the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court prosecutor’s office, saying Vorayuth was “preoccupied” in England.

The spokesman insisted that the Attorney-General had not been complacent about the case and was in fact trying to expedite it, but prosecutors were unable to indict Vorayuth because he had requested a postponement of the decision and failed to turn himself in to prosecutors.

The case would be clearer by the end of April, he added.

Vorayuth, a grandson of the late Red Bull founder Chaleo Yoovidhya, allegedly smashed his Ferrari into 47-year-old policeman Snr Sgt-Major Wichean Klinprasert and sped away, dragging the body down a Bangkok street for about 100 metres in September 2012. He was 27 at the time.

Vorayuth, who is widely known as “Boss”, then allegedly fled the scene and drove to his nearby house in Thong Lor. Police followed him to his house and demanded his surrender.

However, he initially refused and remained inside the house until senior police arrived at the scene with an arrest warrant.

His family later agreed to hand him in to police and Vorayuth was charged with reckless driving and causing the death of a policeman. He then walked free on bail amid widespread perceptions that the heir of a multi-billion baht fortune was being treated leniently by authorities.

The decision not to indict him follows a long series of failures by him to appear for court dates. His lawyer has consistently filed requests to delay meetings on the grounds that he was not in the Kingdom or was suffering from illness.

In the past week, media reports have shown that Vorayuth has not kept the low profile that might be expected from a suspect in the killing of a policemen. He has been documented enjoying a luxurious jet-set lifestyle, flying around the world on the Red Bull private jet and sometimes seen cheering the Red Bull Formula One team. It has not been hard to track him down in London, Laos’s ancient capital of Luang Prabang and even in Bangkok, where he faces charges.

However, Attorney-General spokesman Prayut repeated yesterday that Vorayuth’s family background and enormous wealth would not influence prosecutors.

The Attorney-General decided to indict him in April of last year but he had consistently failed to turn up in court, with his lawyer requesting postponements many times on the grounds that the suspect was abroad, Prayut said.

Vorayuth’s legal team also used delaying tactics by requesting the consideration of the Justice and Police Affairs committee of the National Legislation Assembly (NLA), which forced the Attorney-General to wait for the NLA’s committee investigation, Prayut said.

dbd8a27d2e869f3588cdec203a0720ed.jpeg

However, the committee has ended its investigation and the Attorney-General issued another summons for Vorayuth to meet prosecutors to inform him about an indictment yesterday, but then the office agreed to grant another postponement, Prayut said.

Although Vorayuth cannot be charged with speeding or reckless driving causing property damage because the statute of limitations for those offences has expired, there are still two valid charges that could be prosecuted, he said.

Those charges are reckless driving resulting in a death, which has a 15-year statute of limitations, and refusing to stop to help a victim, which has a five-year statute of limitations that expires in September. The first offence carries a maximum jail term of 10 years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310847

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-31

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ever there was a case to show that justice for the rich and privileged is NOT

equal for all and it can be bought, manipulated, toyed with or simply ignored,

Well, this is it... showing mercy, what da hell for and for whom? the one

who blatantly subbing his nose at the authorities hiding behind his name and

his money? would they show the same if the accused was Joe simple?....

This charade is hitting the International press so surely the PM MUST be aware of it and what a laughing stock Thailand is becoming over this matter. So is he or is he NOT going to do anything about it?

4 minutes ago, bdenner said:

This charade is hitting the International press so surely the PM MUST be aware of it and what a laughing stock Thailand is becoming over this matter. So is he or is he NOT going to do anything about it?

1+1 = ? 

"The case has been postponed until April 27..."

April 27th...However they failed to state in which lifetime.

"However, Attorney-General spokesman Prayut repeated yesterday that Vorayuth’s family background and enormous wealth would not influence prosecutors."

It appears that it already has.

Edited by jaltsc

13 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Do as I do, keep sharing on Facebook

4 minutes ago, nikmar said:

A bit more damaging to Thai reputation than Walking Street I think.
Some priorities need sorting.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Indeed. This guy and the weasel lawyer continue to cock a snoot at the Thai people. The piece in the Washington Post could not have been more critical and yet the buffoons in charge don't see the damage, or don't care. 

When his lawyers have exhausted all avenues with their delay tactics, wonder which country he will move to, because before the Thai justice system pulls its f out, he will have skipped, as he did Thailand, how the F they didn't hold onto his passport as a flight risk is beyond me, hmmmm, must have been a brown paper bag with lots of goodies in it.

Currently, the following countries have extradition treaties with Thailand: the US, the UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia.

Have to feel for the family of the deceased policeman as justice appears that it will never happen.

On any visa application I've made over the years, there's usually a question asking something like "Have you ever been charged with a crime?".

Any on-the-ball visa officer should now be aware that this scumbag has been charged with crimes and should refuse any visa app.

The UK visa he currently seems to be using should be cancelled immediately on the grounds that he's lied on his app. and the 10 year ban should be enforced.

Edited by MartinL

Considering what a sickly and weak boy he appears to be and how "preoccupied" he constantly is, I am sure he'll manage to easily drag it all out until 2027 when the last charge expires.

I can well imagine that his lawyer has a thick stack of request templates in his drawer on which the reason for another postponement is left blank so something can be quickly scribbled in before submitting it to the spineless OAG. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

If ever there was a case to show that justice for the rich and privileged is NOT

Yesterday I listed a few other cases where a Thai girl killed nine people, a tv star killed a cop, the  Thai merc driver who killed the two students, the Brit merc driver who killed a cop in cha am, another Brit merc driver who killed two women in Chiangrai, another Brit in a pickup who killed two Thais riding a motorbike etcetc

Everyone seems up in arms about this red bull heir, but this is the system works here, if you pay the family and they accept it, everyone pretty much moves on. 

The didn't murder anyone, it was an accident, even if negligent. 

If I were in the same boat, I would do the same thing. The cop is dead already, what is the point of going to jail.

A Russian I personally know killed a Thai riding his motorbike too fast. THe family wanted 300,000. He initially refused and spent 6months in jail before agreeing. As soon as he paid he was let out. 

Maybe it is a bit distasteful to some, but that is the system here. 

If you really think about it, it is very practical. Better than in western countries where the family gets sweet FA and the driver spends years in jail, at the taxpayers expense, for what was an accident.What is the point, apart from revenge?

And Prayut doesn't care what foreigners think. He is not working for foreigners, he is working for Thais, some more than others.

After 4.5 yrs of this spoilt brat swanning around the globe, anyone else would be already serving a jail term!!

A total farce; with people fearful to act b/c of Vorayuth/Chaleo family's name & influence.....time PM Prayut intervenes & exerts pressure to bring this case to a conclusion!!!

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think we all know the answer to that one. 

46 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Indeed. And it appears his lawyer is frequently contacting the OAG, crooning: "I just called to say I love you..."

And to check the lunch order prior to sending the repacked lunch boxes. 

Regardless of this kids wealth, he should have to face the music and deal with the consequences of his actions.  People shouldn't be able to just "run away" from the crimes they commit.  Unfortunate behavior by too many... run from mistakes, crimes, car accidents, disagreements, murder, etc.  

45 minutes ago, Philthyphil said:

If you really think about it, it is very practical. Better than in western countries where the family gets sweet FA and the driver spends years in jail, at the taxpayers expense, for what was an accident.What is the point, apart from revenge?

The point of punishment is not revenge, it is about avoiding it happening in the future.

Sending someone to jail for a long time sends a signal, not only to the person who did it, but to society in general that the behavior is not acceptable and has serious consequences.

Others will take notice and with the given consequences they will probably do their best to it not happening again.

Letting someone get away by paying off the family sends a signal that money can buy everything. If you are rich enough you can do whatever you want to whoever you want.

You don't like your neighbors? Just shoot them and give the family and few milion baht.

You don't like the guy in traffic in front of you? Just drive over his legs a few times with your car and give him some money.

You don't like a person called Philthyphil on TVF? Just cut of his hands and balls and give his relatives some cash.

Is that a society you want to live in?

p.s. If it was an accident is something that still needs to be determined. But to me everything points to it not being an accident as the driver was drunk, speeding, on drugs, etc.

Edited by Bob12345

56 minutes ago, Philthyphil said:

Yesterday I listed a few other cases where a Thai girl killed nine people, a tv star killed a cop, the  Thai merc driver who killed the two students, the Brit merc driver who killed a cop in cha am, another Brit merc driver who killed two women in Chiangrai, another Brit in a pickup who killed two Thais riding a motorbike etcetc

Everyone seems up in arms about this red bull heir, but this is the system works here, if you pay the family and they accept it, everyone pretty much moves on. 

The didn't murder anyone, it was an accident, even if negligent. 

If I were in the same boat, I would do the same thing. The cop is dead already, what is the point of going to jail.

A Russian I personally know killed a Thai riding his motorbike too fast. THe family wanted 300,000. He initially refused and spent 6months in jail before agreeing. As soon as he paid he was let out. 

Maybe it is a bit distasteful to some, but that is the system here. 

And Prayut doesn't care what foreigners think. He is not working for foreigners, he is working for Thais, some more than others.

Your logic stinks