PM Prayut says lifting of license requirement not a slight on teachers

webfact

PM says lifting of license requirement not a slight on teachers

BANGKOK, 31 March 2017 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has responded to a backlash against changes to assistant teacher requirements with many calling them an affront to the profession of educators, assuring that the adjustment was to remedy problems in the education sector and that proper management will take place. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha has remarked that the opening of 25 subjects to those without teaching licenses to apply for assistant teacher positions was done in an effort to improve the education sector and does not undercut the value of licensed teachers.

He pointed out that individuals with direct experience in other fields may be beneficial as national student grade averages have been dropping due to a lack of quality educators. He nonetheless assured that if such individuals prove to be unfit for teaching they will be properly dealt with. 

Secretary-General of the Basic Education Commission Karun Sakunpradit made known that applications are currently open in 64 provinces for assistant teachers with a total 6,437 positions available.

Application began on March 29 and will continue until April 4. So far up to 33,188 people have registered for application with 15,133 attempting to enter without teaching licenses. Fields of study with no applicants yet include Cambodian language, Geography, Nursing, Painting and traditional Thai theater.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-31

"does not undercut the value of licensed teachers."

They just don't get it at all!

If the good general thinks it's ok, why then have required qualifications for teachers at all......?

Why not simply address the teacher shortage and improve the system and encourage new teaching stock.....allowing people to enter the education system without formal training and skills ( possibly there are hundreds in the system already, that completed their training via unorthodox methods) is one reason the system here is failing.

10 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

is there a shortage of teachers? not sure why else this would be suggested. i know one english guy teaching in thailand for 9 years without a pay rise. 35k/month. i have to wonder if there will always be a supply of western men wanting to live the dream.

I bet ten to one that your friend doesn't have the credentials to teach in his own country, He is not a teacher,he is a baby sitter for a class of students that their parents think that they are getting a true Western type of education. A real joke.

7 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

I bet ten to one that your friend doesn't have the credentials to teach in his own country, He is not a teacher,he is a baby sitter for a class of students that their parents think that they are getting a true Western type of education. A real joke.

he is certainly not my friend. he is a scumbag who would do anything to save or scam money. he is in the process of scamming a norweign woman i know. i told her to her face what was going on but she would not listen to me. sure there are some decent english teachers around but i haven't met any of them.

yes you are right he does not have any qualifications and is stuck in thailand after leaving england without supporting his daughter. 

14 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Why is it you lurk in the teaching forum only to berate and deride teachers?

My hunch is if this guy has not had a raise in a decade he doesn't have much going for him but you never give an inch.

Anyone with a solid education in anything from the West is miles ahead of 98% of Thai teachers. What we lack is pedagogy and formal training. The Thais really rec'd none of this either, it came largely thru experience.

I work fifty hours a week and often Saturdays and often called in Sundays. The elite-ish school I work in is quite happy with my efforts and my students whom I love like my own children seem happy with my efforts as well.

I teach Language Arts and cover huge ground do if you really don't know, we are not all a bunch of flotsam having a go at facilitating speaking excercises.

If there was somewhere in Thailand I got get the education I'm missing, I'd jump at it but it seems it's not important to the Thai govt.

Most of all I just wish you'd <deleted>. You are a sour person who is obviously unhappy with his education (lack thereof) and life choices.

I retired at 42 and teaching for 5+ years somewhat to busy myself. But I've come to see myself now as a teacher and I'm kinda liking this second career.

When you insult me you insult my kids and their parents. All of Thailand really. As I stated in an earlier post to you, it is what it is.

Your comments are not only shrill, but wrong.

Finally, I will absolutely bet that I graduated from a university held in far, far greater esteem than yours - but honestly I don't think you even went to school, your posts are so anti-intellectual.

Crawl back in your hole.

4 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Why is it you lurk in the teaching forum only to berate and deride teachers?

My hunch is if this guy has not had a raise in a decade he doesn't have much going for him but you never give an inch.

Anyone with a solid education in anything from the West is miles ahead of 98% of Thai teachers. What we lack is pedagogy and formal training. The Thais really rec'd none of this either, it came largely thru experience.

I work fifty hours a week and often Saturdays and often called in Sundays. The elite-ish school I work in is quite happy with my efforts and my students whom I love like my own children seem happy with my efforts as well.

I teach Language Arts and cover huge ground do if you really don't know, we are not all a bunch of flotsam having a go at facilitating speaking excercises.

If there was somewhere in Thailand I got get the education I'm missing, I'd jump at it but it seems it's not important to the Thai govt.

Most of all I just wish you'd <deleted>. You are a sour person who is obviously unhappy with his education (lack thereof) and life choices.

I retired at 42 and teaching for 5+ years somewhat to busy myself. But I've come to see myself now as a teacher and I'm kinda liking this second career.

When you insult me you insult my kids and their parents. All of Thailand really. As I stated in an earlier post to you, it is what it is.

Your comments are not only shrill, but wrong.

Finally, I will absolutely bet that I graduated from a university held in far, far greater esteem than yours - but honestly I don't think you even went to school, your posts are so anti-intellectual.

Crawl back in your hole.

So I take it with your response that you are one of these teachers.I have many friends that are teachers here in Thailand .There are several legible schools that are needed here and doing a great job in education and I have a great respect for them but no matter of your education if you are one of the so called teachers here in a so called international school that is just a place for Thai and other nationalities to think that they are getting a proper English or Western education then I have no respect for your position. So tell me which of these schools do you teach in?

I think a lot of people here are missing the main point of education.

Arguing about who has the 'highest qualifications, best ideas on the perfect educator', should focus more on communication with each other, administrators, parents and of course students. Improving education starts with communication, not insulting anyone connected with a curriculum.

I do not worry too much about the Thai educational system, as it is their country, their culture, and their standards to follow.

What is very important to me are my students, and doing my best to educate them.

By their smiles and incentive to study English, I receive great satisfaction from this.

45 minutes ago, Djw6 said:

sorry mis quote...

He pointed out that individuals with direct experience in other fields may be beneficial as national student grade averages have been dropping due to a lack of quality educators. He nonetheless assured that if such individuals prove to be unfit for teaching they will be properly dealt with. 

...typical ADM response, student IQ are quite lower these days and many feel they just require the finger swipe skills.

...for some subjects yes help welcomed, for example a parent coming into the lower level classes...more for support and to encourage...

...he said it... sadly, it is Thailand and they will do it their way.

On 31/03/2017 at 4:04 PM, sanukjim said:

Unfortunately, a lot of parents equate a white western man to good education, even if the person is unqualified to teach. 

25 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Rumour has it that the lifting of license requirements will soon be implemented for the medical profession :shock1:

If you come to think of it, there is no license or qualification required by law to rule the country too.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents equate a white western man to good education, even if the person is unqualified to teach. 

I am not disagreeing with you, but want to add that I have met many (Thai) English teachers who cannot string a sentence together. Obviously I am not stereotyping all Thai teachers, just as ( I hope) your not doing to all white Western ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me give you some Insight on why Math skills are so poor.  Education majors take one Math class; Math for Education Majors.  Most are horrible at Math, and since Math is the backbone of Economics, Science, Geography, and some others; their students get behind and few get ahead.  Same problem in America...it's no longer "Why can't Johnny read?,". It is more like why is 28 the new 18?  and why is there an entire generation of young adults still living with their parents?  " Sorry, Mr. Gates, you will need to get a B.Ed, before you can teach Computer Science.". I live by CMU, and the Ed majors are the bottom of the barrel.  I've had more interesting conversations with the cleaning lady let alone the family Dachshund.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:50 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

is there a shortage of teachers? not sure why else this would be suggested. i know one english guy teaching in thailand for 9 years without a pay rise. 35k/month. i have to wonder if there will always be a supply of western men wanting to live the dream.

I can guarantee it is very difficult to get Western teachers now, and it's to do with rising living costs not commensurate with salaries and teacher licence requirements, especially the latter. It's one reason why schools use agencies and stick inexperienced backpackers into classrooms. I guess they are living their gap-year dream. All other long time teachers need to get qualified, leave, or find another line of work. We lost out excellent physics teacher because he could not get any more extensions....and now there are no more suitable candidates applying. Perhaps 60k+ would bring them out of the woodwork.  

On 4/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, DILLIGAD said:

I am not disagreeing with you, but want to add that I have met many (Thai) English teachers who cannot string a sentence together. Obviously I am not stereotyping all Thai teachers, just as ( I hope) your not doing to all white Western ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've met many Thais excellent in English....most of them aren't school teachers (a lot are admin, though). Others earn a lot more money in their other professions. Thai teachers should be encouraged to learn more english and be paid increases based on their performance in international english exams such as IELTS. 

7 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I can guarantee it is very difficult to get Western teachers now, and it's to do with rising living costs not commensurate with salaries and teacher licence requirements, especially the latter. It's one reason why schools use agencies and stick inexperienced backpackers into classrooms. I guess they are living their gap-year dream. All other long time teachers need to get qualified, leave, or find another line of work. We lost out excellent physics teacher because he could not get any more extensions....and now there are no more suitable candidates applying. Perhaps 60k+ would bring them out of the woodwork.  

think thai teachers get about 15 or 20k/month so i doubt they will be keen to hire western teachers for 60k although that is probably what is necessary to get decent western teachers.

4 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

think thai teachers get about 15 or 20k/month so i doubt they will be keen to hire western teachers for 60k although that is probably what is necessary to get decent western teachers.

That would be their starting salary....if they are government (civil service salary scale), their salary increases quite significantly over time. My wife works for a college on that scale and she is 60K+ now and will get a decent pension when she retires. For private schools, its up to the school to set the salary. I think those in my school do quite well, especially the more senior teachers. 

Dont see what the problem is, none of the teachers I have ever worked with were what I consider to be qualified in their subjects. I mean when over 80% fail a test in their subject taught whats the point of worrying about unlicensed teachers ? Maybe just maybe they could recruit some teachers who actually cared about teaching students instead of just being a civil servant with all the freebies they get.

22 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

Dont see what the problem is, none of the teachers I have ever worked with were what I consider to be qualified in their subjects. I mean when over 80% fail a test in their subject taught whats the point of worrying about unlicensed teachers ? Maybe just maybe they could recruit some teachers who actually cared about teaching students instead of just being a civil servant with all the freebies they get.

Same in America...some school districts have been failing miserably for 50 years+, but try bringing in some people from the private sector and the NEA screams bloody murder.  I've heard lots of reports of older teachers ganging up on the Teach For America teachers, who often went to schools 100 times more prestigious than the Fred Flinstone look a likes attended.

Archived