how to rid the house of the stink of Thai food

opalred

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can  not  quite  understand  the  problem  with  any significant  lingering. I loathe the stench of  Issan  fish  sauce, can  not  cope  with  frying  chilies or the  vomitous green vegetable from some  shrubby prickly  plant.that  many eat but I have   never  noted   any residual  odour. Perhaps I  have   become  immune?

In contrast  I can  always  detect the  odour  of  stale  curry  in  houses  where  it is  routinely cooked and it is  not  pleasant to  me  although I  do like  to eat Indian  curry.

One  of the  most  effective  odour  killers  I  have often used  is  real  vanilla mixed  with  sodium bicarbonate  in water  and  sprayed in the  air. Unless there is an objection to  vanilla it is  worth the try. A  strong combination  of the  same is great  to  deodourize  a refrigerator or a  vehicle.

12 hours ago, opalred said:

i wondered why so many middle aged women died around our area

from stomach cancer

you would expect would be men smoking and whisky

till i read a report where medical studies showed

north Thai people eating rotten fish and pork had 70% more chance of stomach cancer

told the wife that   reply i like the taste so i eat it

Where the report come from? The chicken factory?

Buy a house that's at least 1 hour away from the in-laws.

When I bought my first house with my wife, we did so in a moo-ban around 5 mins away from her family - and our 4-BR house was ALWAYS filled with Thais pigging the house and cooking smelly food - no privacy as well. Everytime we came back home, my wife was always staying downstairs with the family and made me feel like the intruder. I put the house on the market.

We then got a house 1 hour away from the in-laws. I convinced my wife saying that it was the best deal we could get. Problem solved, the house is quiet and smelling good when I'm home. The wife cooks outside and nobody squats the place.

Interesting?  I very curious as to what dish you are referring to because I do not know of many Thai dish that would have such a strong odor that requires anyone to post as you did.  Or is it just generally you don't like any type of food other than western?  As from dry salted fish and Dorian fruit just curious?

I have run into a number of expat here and home that anything other than Western food refer to other food as it smells?

Remember, you did move to Thailand, marry a Thai, and maybe you moved a bit too fast? You can buy a commercial range hood basically at a Thai restaurant store, if in Bangkok or Pattaya  there are a number of them. But I can tell you first hand it isn't going to stop what bothers you?

Edited by thailand49

the stuff my wife cooks would still peal the paint from a house a mile away

the trouble is they wont change

years ago the lived in mountains with no elect  or fridge

and had to find ways to keep food

and half time went rotten but couldn't waste it so was eaten

there is alot of stinking food these mountain people cook

agood one is put the pork in plastic bag  in the sun for 3days

then fry a chocking smell 

51 minutes ago, opalred said:

the stuff my wife cooks would still peal the paint from a house a mile away

the trouble is they wont change

years ago the lived in mountains with no elect  or fridge

and had to find ways to keep food

and half time went rotten but couldn't waste it so was eaten

there is alot of stinking food these mountain people cook

agood one is put the pork in plastic bag  in the sun for 3days

then fry a chocking smell 

There's no answer to that.

Someone bought some SomTam into the house recently and that reeked. What was left was put in the bin in the kitchen. In the morning I went to empty it and saw a couple of tiny maggots wriggling about the black bin liner. Couldn't of been from anything else it was from that stinking shi##!

These vents aren't all that expensive and do a decent job. The crude ones used for outdoor grills (such as in local markets) cost very little, and sometimes operate with a makeshift reapplied fan. 

Cooking smells sticking inside the house can be countered with vigorous constant cleaning of panels, but that's a chore. For fridge - we use sealed boxes for the nasty stuff, no problems. There are also these thingies, sort of like foam cube inside a plastic frame which sucks some of the bad smells (never really used these).

Guess I'm lucky though....most of what the Mrs. cooks smells great, and she usually avoids bringing out the occasional "special" when we eat together.

Also put baking soda in an open container in the frig.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have a smeg hood with 4 speed vacuum and installed a industrial suction fan on the outside wall connected to the hood tubing for extra drawing power with a wall fan on the rear outside wall. That works..

• 1 month later...

I'm lucky that my wife detests Pla Raa.  But she is fond of Gapi (? - the fermented shrimp paste). She would do all her deep frying and toasting peppers and whatnot on a gas stove outside, even when it it was snowing.  She would give me hell about even warming up some Indian food inside, let alone cooking any onions.  I guess I'm very lucky that she has a sensitive nose and a penchant for very clean, fresh food. She will wear plastic cloves when handling many foods because she doesn't want the smell to linger on her hands. I just put up with the smell of Gapi or toasted dried squid.   Being a smoker, I can't smell much anyway.

We once rented a nice house in BKK near the US Embassy.  But it was an open plan with kitchen, living and dining areas in a very large room.  The former tenants must have liked fried food - there was condensed oil residue all over the cabinets and walls, like dripping varnish.  Yuck.

Hard to appear as Napoleon Bonaparte if the conquered land including house is in the name of "wifey".

Under these circumstances, Farang-Napoleons have little leverage to forbid "wifey" to eat some sort of "stink-fish." (Among many other things). Up to her and not up to Napoleon.

The legal situation stinks, far more than any "Stink-Fish" that "wifey" could ever cook up.
Cheers.

3 hours ago, Ahab said:

I kind of like the fermented rotten fish (in moderation, and well cooked prior to eating) as well as the fermented purple looking shrimp paste. When in Rome.....

lol > I'm glad I  don't live in Rome 

19 hours ago, swissie said:

Hard to appear as Napoleon Bonaparte if the conquered land including house is in the name of "wifey".

Under these circumstances, Farang-Napoleons have little leverage to forbid "wifey" to eat some sort of "stink-fish." (Among many other things). Up to her and not up to Napoleon.

The legal situation stinks, far more than any "Stink-Fish" that "wifey" could ever cook up.
Cheers.

There is  another tactic.

Some  items that regularly  offend are usually  easy  to regularly  flush where they  belong. :smile:

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There is  another tactic.

Some  items that regularly  offend are usually  easy  to regularly  flush where they  belong. :smile:

Theres another tatic shut up moaning she eats what she wants to eat. Oh forgot thais have to do  and eat what farang say.

Edited by jeab1980

21 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Theres another tatic shut up moaning she eats what she wants to eat. Oh forgot thais have to do  and eat what farang say.

There are levels of Farang food... I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem if said Farang took his Thai lady out to expensive restaurants every night.

Bit like garlic. Dont eat it you smell it all over partner if they eat it. Eat it and you cant smell it. Just eat a small bit of what she eats problem solved.

Edited by jeab1980