61 year-old Dutch National Michael Eriksen Killed in Head on Collision in Udon Thani

rooster59

20 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

The standard of driving by foreigners is usually much better as a rule, as driving exams in their own countries are much more thorough and in depth than Thailand.

Thus another myth is propagated.

Yes, the UK driving test I took in 1976 is still fresh and relevant regardless of the fact that I have been driving in LOS for the best part of 30 years.

Are you familiar with the term, "When in Rome."

48 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

So you advocate driving like an idiot because that is how the vast majority of Thais get around?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I suppose that's one way of defending your quaint notion of superiority, but no.

Neither the fact that Thai drivers are ill-educated and more accident prone nor the way that you or I chose to drive is up for debate here. However, the broad but quite laughable assumption that non-Thai drivers are "usually much better" as you put it, is something I totally disagree with.

No notion of superiority at all. Nor was it intended to be quaint.

Just stating a point as when I did my driving test there was a great deal to it and being taught by a professional instructor, for many hours, in a dual controlled car was a part of it. So was learning and practising different routes, roads, and driving procedures including motorways, A and B roads, reversing, overtaking etc

Then there was the study of the Highway Code itself. Nowadays, in the UK this is far stricter, with a written theory test.

Finally, there was the actual test itself. This was carried out by an independent examiner approved by the department of transport.

Now, I have seen what is involved in a Thai driving test which is near zero in the above mentioned.many of those on the roads have no licences, no insurance and learn to drive whilst on major roads " as they go along! " so yes, European countries that have driving rules and regulations similar to the UK method, I would say " Yes " to them being better drivers by virtue of the fact they have proven driving skills before they are allowed on the country's roads. Whether or not they chose to forget all this when they come to Thailand and adopt a " When in Rome " approach as you suggest, doesn't alter the fact that they were taught better.

Maybe, if Thailand did similar, they wouldn't be ranked the second most dangerous country in the world for driving accidents.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect