Here is a list on which papers you need for Retirement extension in Phuket Immigration.

nasa123

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jimi007 said:

What about the photo of you in front of your house with the house number visible in the photo? I've read it's required for retirement extensions now at the Phuket office.

Last couple of years I need that house photo. But one on my guests renewed retirement extension last week in Phuket and no photo asked. He's never supplied a photo.

3 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

What about the photo of you in front of your house with the house number visible in the photo? I've read it's required for retirement extensions now at the Phuket office.

It is on the list provided above.

On 4/2/2017 at 6:30 PM, stevenl said:

It is on the list provided above.

You're right! Thanks Steven! I missed it as it wasn't in the lists. I have read that you can take a selfie in front of your house and print on a standard color printer, not black and white, but I didn't see what size the actual photo should be. I'm guessing you can use standard A4 paper? Thanks, Jimi

Edited by Jimi007
typo

I did my extension this week, and printed the picture in color as a 4x6 on standard A4 paper.

I used a letter "certifying" monthly income from the US Consulate, but also brought along copies of my Thai bank book showing monthly inbound foreign remittances, which the IO stamped and included with my paperwork. So probably a good thing that I had that.

Based on my experience this week, the list in the OP above is correct with the exception that the volunteer who checked my paperwork noted that I needed a copy of the address registration that was stapled in my passport (the registration, not the 90 day reporting receipt). While processing the application, the IO also told my wife to get a copy of another passport page, even though I had a copy of every page in the list above. Sorry - I didn't look to see which additional page he wanted. 

On 5.4.2017 at 9:52 PM, Jimi007 said:

... and print on a standard color printer, not black and white, but I didn't see what size the actual photo should be. I'm guessing you can use standard A4 paper?

When I did my extension they accepted a printout in back and white on A4. A friend had "real" pictures made (4" by 6"), they were not accepted until he glued them on a A4 page.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:57 AM, DrDave said:

I did my extension this week, and printed the picture in color as a 4x6 on standard A4 paper.

I used a letter "certifying" monthly income from the US Consulate, but also brought along copies of my Thai bank book showing monthly inbound foreign remittances, which the IO stamped and included with my paperwork. So probably a good thing that I had that.

Based on my experience this week, the list in the OP above is correct with the exception that the volunteer who checked my paperwork noted that I needed a copy of the address registration that was stapled in my passport (the registration, not the 90 day reporting receipt). While processing the application, the IO also told my wife to get a copy of another passport page, even though I had a copy of every page in the list above. Sorry - I didn't look to see which additional page he wanted. 

Did you offer the pages of your Thai bank book or did he request them? I've never been asked for anything other than the front page of my Thai bank book. Before that they required a copy of your Thai ATM card, but decided that was a bad idea as someone could try to use it. I too use the US Embassy letter from the Consulate outreach program and have for going on 12 years now. And thanks for the heads up about the copy of the house registration slip and photo requirements! Cheers! Jimi

On 4/9/2017 at 7:49 PM, Jimi007 said:

Did you offer the pages of your Thai bank book or did he request them? I've never been asked for anything other than the front page of my Thai bank book. Before that they required a copy of your Thai ATM card, but decided that was a bad idea as someone could try to use it. I too use the US Embassy letter from the Consulate outreach program and have for going on 12 years now. And thanks for the heads up about the copy of the house registration slip and photo requirements! Cheers! Jimi

I offered up the bank book pages without the IO asking. When the volunteer checked my paperwork, he said that I might need backup for the consulate letter since as we all know, that letter is just certifying the fact that I'm making the income statement and the US consulate doesn't verify the stated income.

Here's the interesting part. The volunteer said that I need to have a pension or social security statement as backup. When I mentioned that my "income" is monthly withdrawals from my savings in the US (401k) and my bank book shows the monthly foreign remittances, he told me that I had falsified my income statement because withdrawals from savings overseas are not considered "income". Huh???   The IO had no problem with this, and approved the application in a matter of a couple of minutes.

10 minutes ago, DrDave said:

I offered up the bank book pages without the IO asking. When the volunteer checked my paperwork, he said that I might need backup for the consulate letter since as we all know, that letter is just certifying the fact that I'm making the income statement and the US consulate doesn't verify the stated income.

Here's the interesting part. The volunteer said that I need to have a pension or social security statement as backup. When I mentioned that my "income" is monthly withdrawals from my savings in the US (401k) and my bank book shows the monthly foreign remittances, he told me that I had falsified my income statement because withdrawals from savings overseas are not considered "income". Huh???   The IO had no problem with this, and approved the application in a matter of a couple of minutes.

Interesting! It says right on the income statement; "I also affirm that I receive a monthly income of $ (fill in the blank) from sources in the United States." It doesn't specify what the source may be. 

8 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

Interesting! It says right on the income statement; "I also affirm that I receive a monthly income of $ (fill in the blank) from sources in the United States." It doesn't specify what the source may be. 

I know!  I pointed this out to him, but he was adamant about money from savings not being considered "income".

I decided that it was pointless to argue this any further, and just blew him off. I find the volunteers to be generally very helpful, but on rare occasions, they can be completely wrong in their understanding of the requirements.

39 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Why bother with the volunteers- just go straight round the back. (Unless THAT has changed as well?)

I know that when the extensions wee processed upstairs we had to get past the volunteers first but for the past two years I have gone straight to the back office- never had an issue with it.

Edited by Psimbo

• 2 weeks later...

Did my extension today. Had all forms completed, copied, signed, etc, including the STM2 (Acknowledging conditions) and had a couple of pics of myself outside the castle. Pretty easy all told, only took about 15 minutes.

However, they did hit me with a new form, in Thai,  that seemed related to the pictures of me. (It was stapled to them)

I was required to sign it, and they also got my GF (and landlord) to sign in several places. It's not the registration of residence form completed last year with the slip stapled in the back of my passport, it is something new.  (Perhaps it's normally used for marriage extensions?)

No big deal, just more privacy intrusions and they don't seem to understand that a retirement extension is an individual thing and has nothing to do with any partner I might have.

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

<Snip>

No big deal, just more privacy intrusions and they don't seem to understand that a retirement extension is an individual thing and has nothing to do with any partner I might have.

But the Thai Immigration intrude into where foreigners reside.  It's not about any 'partner' .... it's about the 'landlord'  .... just another Thai Gov intrusion if we want to live in Thailand ... sigh sigh

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Did my extension today. Had all forms completed, copied, signed, etc, including the STM2 (Acknowledging conditions) and had a couple of pics of myself outside the castle. Pretty easy all told, only took about 15 minutes.

However, they did hit me with a new form, in Thai,  that seemed related to the pictures of me. (It was stapled to them)

I was required to sign it, and they also got my GF (and landlord) to sign in several places. It's not the registration of residence form completed last year with the slip stapled in the back of my passport, it is something new.  (Perhaps it's normally used for marriage extensions?)

So it's yet another form that isn't listed in the OP's post that my landlord has to sign as well? So now I will have pick it up drive it back to Rawai for my landlord to sign? This is getting a bit stupid... I guess they did away with the form asking you about your use of social media and were you frequent. I found the acknowledgement of conditions form online, it wasn't listed in the OP either! Here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/form_acknow_con2stay.pdf

I have to do my extension in the next week, I'll report back when I get it. Did you have to come back the next day to pick up your passport still or do they sign it while you wait? Then I need a re-entry permit after I get my extension. More fun at immigration every year. It used to be so easy, one trip and maybe an hour and you left with your passport.

9 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

So it's yet another form that isn't listed in the OP's post that my landlord has to sign as well? So now I will have pick it up drive it back to Rawai for my landlord to sign? This is getting a bit stupid... I guess they did away with the form asking you about your use of social media and were you frequent. I found the acknowledgement of conditions form online, it wasn't listed in the OP either! Here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/form_acknow_con2stay.pdf

I have to do my extension in the next week, I'll report back when I get it. Did you have to come back the next day to pick up your passport still or do they sign it while you wait? Then I need a re-entry permit after I get my extension. More fun at immigration every year. It used to be so easy, one trip and maybe an hour and you left with your passport.

I had downloaded, completed and included that form with my papers Jim. The one I had to sign today was something I hadn't seen before.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to read it, nor get a copy, and my lady wasn't much help in translating it. I'm still only guessing what it may have been exactly. It may not require a trip home for verification. It might be best to see if anyone else cops it and see what's required.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I had downloaded, completed and included that form with my papers Jim. The one I had to sign today was something I hadn't seen before.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to read it, nor get a copy, and my lady wasn't much help in translating it. I'm still only guessing what it may have been exactly. It may not require a trip home for verification. It might be best to see if anyone else cops it and see what's required.

Thanks for the update! I guess I will see soon enough. The resident paper that my landlord had to sign last year was a pain. I had to make three trips from Rawai. My landlord assured me he had reported me through the local government, which I'm sure he did. Immigration just keeps coming up with new hoops for us to jump through. I need new passport type photos, I finally  used up all my old ones! Off to the Kodak shop near the Chalong police station tomorrow for photos, then I'll head for Immigration probably the next day or two. I'm good until the 3rd. Cheers!

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I never heard about this new form, i will try to find out.

But they started asking for a map of the location of your house when doing a extension based on retirement.

6 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I need new passport type photos, I finally  used up all my old ones! Off to the Kodak shop near the Chalong police station tomorrow for photos, then I'll head for Immigration probably the next day or two. I'm good until the 3rd.

After nearly seven years here I thought I had finally run out of P/P photos too, but then found one last one on an old form. Don't have to get new ones done until next year! :smile:

All told, with the pics outside the house and their personal iPhone snaps, they gained 4 images of me this time. (5, if you count the P/P copy)  That's probably more than this camera shy person has posed for in 60 odd years before coming here. 

Could you, Merijn,  perhaps advise how they use the iPhone picture?

2 hours ago, merijn said:

They copy the picture from their phone to the computer and attach it to the application. 

Thanks.

This next question is rhetorical. Why do we have to go to the trouble of attaching a photo to the application if they don't accept it and instead photo everyone themselves?

Yes, I know some applicants may use old inaccurate pics of themselves, but all they would really need to do is request an updated one from those people.

Edited by Old Croc

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Thanks.

This next question is rhetorical. Why do we have to go to the trouble of attaching a photo to the application if they don't accept it and instead photo everyone themselves?

Yes, I know some applicants may use old inaccurate pics of themselves, but all they would really need to do is request an updated one from those people.

Good question i don't know for sure. maybe because TIT.

I know that they are using now electronic pictures attached to the applications, maybe it's easier for them.

As you probable know, they introduce new things every time without deleting or updating the old system accordingly.

8 hours ago, merijn said:

I know that they are using now electronic pictures attached to the applications

Yes, they're very clever with spy technology.

It's a pity they're not smart enough to realise that the vast majority of their "clients" are good law abiding people and valuable assets for Thailand.

They're not smart enough to filter out the good from the bad!  Continual harassment of the "good" people in the name of the " Good In Bad Out" policy will only have the outcome of forcing funded up foreigners to seek friendlier shores.

People who have married into the community, long term pensioners, skilled workers and Investors, who  stay here legally for long periods, and who submit their bank records for scrutiny every year,  could be considered as very low risk to suddenly go rogue, and should be treated as valuable assets to be looked after, not harassed as potential criminals.

Yes, they're very clever with spy technology.
It's a pity they're not smart enough to realise that the vast majority of their "clients" are good law abiding people and valuable assets for Thailand.
They're not smart enough to filter out the good from the bad!  Continual harassment of the "good" people in the name of the " Good In Bad Out" policy will only have the outcome of forcing funded up foreigners to seek friendlier shores.
People who have married into the community, long term pensioners, skilled workers and Investors, who  stay here legally for long periods, and who submit their bank records for scrutiny every year,  could be considered as very low risk to suddenly go rogue, and should be treated as valuable assets to be looked after, not harassed as potential criminals.

Couldn't say it any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I went this afternoon, got there and there wasn't anyone ahead of me. The Immigration officer I've known for many years came out and said hello to me and my wife then wiped off the outside seats as it had been raining and  the seats were wet. Then a young man came out and started to hand me the STM 2, I had already printed it out and filled it out.He then checked the rest of my paperwork and started to say I need copies of my last three extensions. I said I have a new visa, so I don't think so. He looked through my passport and the rest of the paperwork and said go see the officer on the right in back. All the Immigration Officer said is write my phone number on my application below my signature. He took the map of my house and the photo in front of my house and set them aside. I used an income letter from the US Embassy, he didn't ask to see any other bank information other than the front page of my bank book. He stamped everything then said 1,900 Baht and go sit over there. I had my photo taken again and handed a receipt, come back tomorrow after 1 PM. As Old Crock said, I was there for maybe 15 minutes.

The parking lot was packed but no one was doing retirement extensions. It will probably take me longer tomorrow to get my re-entry permit.

Edited by Jimi007
Typo

5 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

I'll assume you mean to say "new passport" ?

Kidd

No, I entered on a new O visa from the Los Angeles Thai Consulate based on marriage as my old retirement extension and re-entry permit had expired while I was in the US waiting for my wife's new US Permanent  Resident Card. I got a single entry, so it was only good for 90 days and I was converting it to a one year retirement extension.

Edited by Jimi007