Thailand in crosshairs of Trump’s trade policy

rooster59

1 hour ago, champers said:

It seems foolish to call out countries as cheats; it is the language of an ill informed bully. 16 countries may be in his crosshairs but Trump is firing blanks. His own party is undermining his attempts to govern by shouting abuse. There is a long line of Republicans who have Trump in their crosshairs. They will be delivering a knife to the back, rather than a bullet.

Yes he is going down and it will be the Republicans who quietly do it while the media and Dems make a lot of noise. I think the guy to watch is Burr from N.C.  Warner will be in front of the cameras but the Senate Committee Chair for Intel  will be the one who clears the path for Pres Pence.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay no attention to what Trump says or tweets. Watch what he actually does. There is a very significant disconnect the two. Unfortunately the voter base in the US laps up the tweets and the soundbites but has no time for "boring" things like legislation or details on tariffs.

5 hours ago, jerojero said:

Canada's trade surplus to USA is mostly oil related. And all oil companies in Canada are foreign owned! Including some USA companies operating in Canada.

Two way vehicle trade is #1. 

a machine... or robot...... making stuff in Thailand....

with a cheap Baht...

and none of the overheads such as exorbitant insurance, lawyers, tax accountants, heavy real estate taxes... etc etc...

seems to still have a good chance... notwithstanding our own version of political nonsense talk coming from our dear new.... Lame Duck president... 

....... unless he nukes the dollar.  oh boy.

Edited by maewang99

It is not Trump himself who is pushing the narrative but his inner circle who has the agenda and he is just the mouthpiece.  Every country who has a balance of trade deficit wants to make it more equal. That is why countries negotiate free trade agreements and give certain countries added breaks when establish business in their respective countries. 

At present, Thailand has favored nation status with lower duties/taxes than other countries due to its status as a developing Nation.  The US has the Treaty of Amity which allows Americans to set up business in Thailand with easier requirements.

What Thailand and America needs is a free trade agreement which will lower duties/tax for both countries. I would expect that this will happen.  However, Thailand is not dumb- their excise tax plan which is more far reaching than the public realizes will offset much of the gains for the Thai consumer.  Since so many Thais do not pay income tax- the Thai Government is not going to lose income due to  free trade agreements. In addition, I expect the Thai VAT to keep increasing.

Every US President has attempted to increase exports and some have been effective. I doubt Trump has the ability to effectively negotiate any type of trade deals. This is a lot different than sitting across from a  banker negotiating a land deal and loan. In addition, there are certain countries where you accept a negative balance because there are other advantages you get from a country  such as basing rights for your military; overflight of planes and rights of passage.  That is why you need competent people in your government who actually understands how to do this and the history behind the current situation. 

I doubt Trump knows the difference between Thailand and Taiwan but he might learn it if he goes to the next APEC meeting in Vietnam

7 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Not that song again.  Most Thais living in the US are in fact US citizens.  So what you're suggesting would do nothing to impact those Thais.

Oh, that makes it easy.

So we foreigners living in Thailand (married to a Thai, or on a business visa) should become Thai citizens?

I guess we all know how that goes here in Thailand for the vast majority of us.

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Wish Australia had a Trump.  Australia doesnt own or manufacture a bloody thing the entire stock has been sold off to overseas intetests.  God we dont even own the water.

Same as UK everything sold off, strangely Aussie companies own our water, or at least in London!

Not that song again.  Most Thais living in the US are in fact US citizens.  So what you're suggesting would do nothing to impact those Thais.

Ok then, include citizenship in that list too.

Edited by jesimps

yeah because they are first able to get citizenship then buy property but can actually buy before being citizens... how many people here can get citizenship... lol your post is way off base

I read elsewhere this morning That Thailand supplies about 35% of America's vehicle rubber tyres. If that is correct sounds like a lot. If President Trump were to scrap that it would hurt Thailand's rubber industry but P.T. would need another source.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

It is not Trump himself who is pushing the narrative but his inner circle who has the agenda and he is just the mouthpiece.  Every country who has a balance of trade deficit wants to make it more equal. That is why countries negotiate free trade agreements and give certain countries added breaks when establish business in their respective countries. 

At present, Thailand has favored nation status with lower duties/taxes than other countries due to its status as a developing Nation.  The US has the Treaty of Amity which allows Americans to set up business in Thailand with easier requirements.

What Thailand and America needs is a free trade agreement which will lower duties/tax for both countries. I would expect that this will happen.  However, Thailand is not dumb- their excise tax plan which is more far reaching than the public realizes will offset much of the gains for the Thai consumer.  Since so many Thais do not pay income tax- the Thai Government is not going to lose income due to  free trade agreements. In addition, I expect the Thai VAT to keep increasing.

Every US President has attempted to increase exports and some have been effective. I doubt Trump has the ability to effectively negotiate any type of trade deals. This is a lot different than sitting across from a  banker negotiating a land deal and loan. In addition, there are certain countries where you accept a negative balance because there are other advantages you get from a country  such as basing rights for your military; overflight of planes and rights of passage.  That is why you need competent people in your government who actually understands how to do this and the history behind the current situation. 

I doubt Trump knows the difference between Thailand and Taiwan but he might learn it if he goes to the next APEC meeting in Vietnam

It won't be Mr Trump doing the brainwork it'll be his civil servant PUSs or whatever they're known as in the US. The pres just sets out the policy.

Also, as a top businessman, I bet he knows more about Thailand and Taiwan than you and most of us on here.

2 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I read elsewhere this morning That Thailand supplies about 35% of America's vehicle rubber tyres. If that is correct sounds like a lot. If President Trump were to scrap that it would hurt Thailand's rubber industry but P.T. would need another source.

Malaysia? They used to be big in rubber when us Brits ran the place. Just a guess.

As a businessman- he might know a lot about certain places in the US and the other countries he has 'deals' with, but I doubt he could find Taiwan and Thailand on a World map unless they were listed.  Trump cannot handle details. He governs in generalities and personal opinions without doing his research and that is what will lead to his downfall. Unfortunately, he is taking the rest of us with him.

In addition, he definitely does not know as much about Thailand then myself or others on this Board.

Edited by Thaidream

47 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

As a businessman- he might know a lot about certain places in the US and the other countries he has 'deals' with, but I doubt he could find Taiwan and Thailand on a World map unless they were listed.  Trump cannot handle details. He governs in generalities and personal opinions without doing his research and that is what will lead to his downfall. Unfortunately, he is taking the rest of us with him.

In addition, he definitely does not know as much about Thailand then myself or others on this Board.

I will truly second your comment...!

52 minutes ago, jesimps said:

It won't be Mr Trump doing the brainwork it'll be his civil servant PUSs or whatever they're known as in the US. The pres just sets out the policy.

Also, as a top businessman, I bet he knows more about Thailand and Taiwan than you and most of us on here.

You bet Donny knows more about Thailand and Taiwan than most of us on here...I truly, truly doubt it sport...!

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

I would have like to see an executive order banning all ownership of properties

by Thai nationals living in the US until such time the Thai government will

allow US citizens an equal rights to own properties outright and without jumping trough hoops here in Thailand....

Well it would not be in the interest of the United States to do so. The USA profits off of capital gains made by it's citizens who sell to foreign investors and collects taxes on the deals. Why would America want to limit anybody who has money from investing it in the USA?

Thailand damages it's real estate market with nonsense protectionist policies that simply are not needed in the USA. Imagine how many Thais would make big bucks if they could freely sell to foreigners. 

If you are going to wish for something that is completely unrealistic you should simply wish Thailand would let you buy land and houses rather than wish the USA would sink to their level and damage their real estate market by doing so.  

Yes that was a big run on sentence but I am too lazy to fix it. lol

allow US citizens an equal rights to own properties outright and without jumping trough hoops here in Thailand....

Unlikely to happen. The last thing Thailand needs are Americans or any foreigners inflating the property market.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Land Law Reciprocity?...........wonder if that would be ever be imposed  -  Vietnam introduced a one year Multiple entry tourist visa for $135(?) because that's what we charge them...........Thailand should do the same, but they don't.:passifier:

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Unlikely to happen. The last thing Thailand needs are Americans or any foreigners inflating the property market.

You're right, they do quite well on their own............

11 hours ago, Sphere said:

Thailand needs to reach around to Trump, just like it did with Obama.....

88534_story__2012-11-18T114505Z_1203872098_GM1E8BI1IRU01_RTRMADP_3_ASIA-OBAMA-THAILAND.thumb.JPG.0d62dab0b305025a5bbfff884369eb14.JPG

Thailand needs to rub USA up the right way ;)

obama.jpg

Edited by johnno2

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

And that set the stage for a great revival of American manufacturing,”

Sorry Donald your blowing smoke out of your derriere. I am sure all these so called delinquent countries are willing to open factories in the USA but they will not contain "the great paying jobs" that you tout. The factories will open to appease you but the wages will be stagnant similar to the wages that exist there now. Then after you have blown your horn and left office the robots will come in and give it the coup de grace. 

Not to worry, most of that being sold to America is from Japanese owned factories, they won't be affected because they have so much influence in the USA.

Not too sure of your point? Are you upset that Japanese manufacturers provide jobs in the US so they can sell their product? Has Japan got "so much influence " in the US. The biggest exporter of cars from the US, excluding the north American market, is BMW.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app