Seat Belt Installation

frodo77

Is that a 4-door pickup or an extended cab with half-doors and/or short bench seat? The (recently postponed until after Songkran) mandate was that only full-size, 4-door pickups can legally carry seat-belted, back-seat passengers.

You should first try the Isuzu dealership.  If they can't install them they can sell you all of the parts.  Then any automotive shop on Sukimvit can install them if you can't do it yourself.  I know Boy Air and Sound north of town will do this for you as well as any of the 4X4 shops. 

This assumes your truck already has the necessary attachment points.  For my Toyota it was just a few bolts to get them installed.  

Laws aside, it's a good idea.  Good luck.

Edited by action

1 hour ago, frodo77 said:

Its a bench behind the front seat. Can easily accommodate 3 adults.

Under the new law passengers not allowed on this bench, agree so crazy and shows how out of touch the junta is.I have a smart cab toyota for the farm and now will be a real pain the same as millions of other owners

3 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

If you have a look at your insurance papers you can see that you are only covered for 2 persons.

I drive an SUV and pay for 7 persons, so about time something is getting done about this.

My toyota smartcab is covered for 5, and my pajero is 7.

13 hours ago, joebrown said:

Before anyone fits any seatbelts for the rear bench seat of a 'smart' cab pick-up, I suggest you go to your insurer to check how many rear seat persons would be insured in the event of an accident.

mine is covered for 5 in total, 2 in the front and 3 on the bench.

You buy a pickup with two seats, the so-called bench was never intended (by the manufacturer) to be used for accomodating people. So why be angry on the gov now they agree on letting you use the bench to transport people as long as they are using seatbelts ? 

There is a reason that the manufacturer didn't install seat belts in the back of extended cabs, despite them knowing very well that they will be used for carrying people. The tax on regular and extended cab pickups is lower than on four seat pickups (which are classified as cars), and installing seat belts could very well result in your pickup having to be reclassified and you having to pay the extra tax charged on cars.

Sophon

12 hours ago, tonboy said:

You buy a pickup with two seats, the so-called bench was never intended (by the manufacturer) to be used for accomodating people. So why be angry on the gov now they agree on letting you use the bench to transport people as long as they are using seatbelts ? 

Then why is the same model fitted with seat belts overseas ? Even my old 1995 made in Thailand hilux extra cab was fitted with seat belts and legally able to carry passengers.....it's just to put the vehicle in a cheaper tax category and so the local distributors save a few baht by not fittting the belts, the mounting points are already there.

Edited by MikeN

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Then why is the same model fitted with seat belts overseas ? Even my old 1995 made in Thailand hilux extra cab was fitted with seat belts and legally able to carry passengers.....it's just to put the vehicle in a cheaper tax category and so the local distributors save a few baht by not fittting the belts, the mounting points are already there.

Ever sat on those rear "seats"? I did for a couple of the most uncomfortable hours of my life, but that's another story.

I think the term bench may be misunderstood in my case. Its not just a wooden plank that I have seen in other pickups. Its a fully fledged cushioned seat that I call a bench because its the whole width of the truck. Its very comfortable.

so we have all the legal reasons now not to let people sit on the rear "bench"
- No seatbelts on rear bench
- Tax is less because intended tot transport only 2 people
- Insurance covers only 2 people
Is it strange that the gov wants to remember the people about this ?

On 08/04/2017 at 3:12 AM, frodo77 said:

I think the term bench may be misunderstood in my case. Its not just a wooden plank that I have seen in other pickups. Its a fully fledged cushioned seat that I call a bench because its the whole width of the truck. Its very comfortable.

It's still what is called a bench seat and according to the latest implementation of Article 44, some time after Songkran, it will be illegal for people to ride on these bench seats regardless of having seat belts fitted or the Department of Transport's edicts on what taxation is applicable for 'super cab', 'extended cab', 'magic cab', Xtra cab', 'Mega cab', 'King cab' or whatever cab a manufacturer labels a less than a full, 4-door cab design.

On 08/04/2017 at 3:54 AM, elgenon said:

How about taxis? Are they required to provide seat belts on the rear seat. That would be very nice.

Yes... but be very wary about sticking your hands down the seat backs to dig out the fasteners.