Mover to Cambo? Report back pls

swissie

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

as i said before Cambodia  its a horrible country sorry just mine honest opinion.crossing roads there its pure suicide.

Its interesting to see the different viewpoints on the country. I am beginning to understand why there is more than 1 political party which of course Cambodia does have in spades. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only been to Seim Reap 4 or 5 times (driving from the border crossing near Surin in Thailand). One is struck by the de-populated nature of rural areas, still denuded after the Pol Pot years. Driving back into Thailand, it always strikes me how clean, developed and civilised Thailand seems after Cambodia. It's like chalk and cheese, or coming from Bangkok to Sydney. I've always found the people to be friendly and open, similar to Isaan country folk. 

However, I don't think I could ever seriously contemplate living in Cambodia. While Cambodia is currently 'politically stable', I think the country is at risk of erupting or becoming erratic/unpredictable under the current dictatorship in the medium term (5 - 10 years).

On 4/7/2017 at 10:32 AM, Scouse123 said:

If you look behind the Khmer smile, this is what you will see and it isn't pretty.

Yes, they give out easy long stay visas and the beer, cigarettes and hookers looking for husbands are cheap,  ( in comparison to Thailand ) but at what cost? and what is the reason they give the easy access?

If that is all people need, they can move to Isaarn. Believe me, Isaarn is better Most places are within a couple of hours of a decent private hospital. You do NOT want to get ill in Cambodia.

I have spent extended amounts of time in Cambodia and had thoughts to moving there especially when the constant changing of rules and regulations and weekly announcements of changes Thailand started to get on my nerves.

I am glad I did not.

With the exception of visiting the temples on holiday, working there for a big company or foreigners ' forced to like it ' as they do not have enough money to reach the Thai budget or visa requirements, it is not worth going to.

Garbage is everywhere and I mean everywhere, so are vermin.rats all over the place It is a dirty hell hole.

The roads and infrastructure are terrible as soon as you leave the city limits, there is no decent hospital care as we know it. Food products are not of the quality of Thailand and many products are imported from Thailand so obviously making them more expensive.

The police force is actually WORSE than their Thai counterparts, which in itself is an achievement. Law and order is virtually non existent with a lazy, arrogant, unhelpful police force who are not interested in solving crime nor protecting tourists. Opportunistic crime, thefts, burglaries, handbag and phone snatching are at epidemic levels in Phnom Penn and Siem reap.

Sihanoukville on the coast is a backwater with  ' wild west '  feel, a police force that think they are far enough from the capital that rules don't apply, not that any apply in the capital!!

A lot of lowlifes and people go there to hide out that are wanted in other parts of the world, Cambodian hoodlums and thugs are in abundance, Russian mafias have made it a small base of operations and it is a very poor example of Cambodia's only beach resort that has been completely underfunded by the government as a place to welcome tourists.

Education standards are very poor with many kids dropping out of school or needed to help families survive on their small farms. A Cambodian degree is not worth the paper it is written on.

It is NOT, as many say, Thailand 30 years ago. It is a god forsaken place where the greedy filth in authority are stealing any aid given by the EU, China and Japan. The poor as usual bear the brunt and are not in a strong enough position to do anything. Hun Sen was not elected as the best leader,he was placed there before the exodus by the Vietnamese as a ' puppet regime ' subservient to Vietnam and has spent  his time filling his pockets.

As regards to government, it is fast becoming an autocratic state with Hun Sen at the helm. his immediate family and ex- Khmer rouge cronies are all in any positions that matter to keep the crooked clock ticking, A judicial system that does not function and an Army used  solely to repress the people and cripple any dissent.

Give me Thailand or Vietnam any day for a holiday or retirement, regardless of a few moans and groans. Be happy and count your blessings.

I have written this before ...I talked to many foreigners staying in Thailand and they agreed with me that - without being paradise - it was still the country where life was best for expatriates compared to all other Asean member states

On 4/12/2017 at 8:33 PM, abab said:

Sorry i do not work for free for this forum and have no interest to lecture anyway. I just tell the facts and it's enough for anybody who is able to understand.

What a cop out. You call someone a liar and then clam up when he calls you on it.

And what "facts" are you talking about? I don't see anywhere in your post where you "tell the facts" -- I only read your un-factual statements and calling someone a liar. 

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

You lost the Path......read slowly once again the Topic :"What's better, what not, regrets".......compared to TH. I think, most readers are amazed at your aggressive, unsophisticated style.

I think if you read slowly once again, you will find my 20 likes on my posts from readers to your zero!

Amazed at my "  aggressive unsophisticated style "   Not in the slightest. We are direct where I come from and just call a spade, a shovel. Unsophisticated? Come on, this is Thai visa forum not a Global debate in the United Nations auditorium.

There is no bad language in my posts, no ranting and raving. I point out what I believe are errors and back them with factual links to other sites to prove what I believe to be correct.

So, I am sorry to have hurt your sensitivities. When other posters start calling a person a liar and then refuse to justify their comments, sure, it's irritating!

Sheryl, the mod, sees it differently, that's OK. We see things different. I didn't call her a grumpy old liar, did I? like some have called me for no reason. I think 54 is middle aged....???

I go to Siem Reap and Phnom Penn for solid business reasons. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't. That is my view of the place after 10 years.

I prefer Thailand. I can afford to live in either or even Europe.Money is not the issue. I also love Vietnam.

I do not see anything better in Cambodia that is not available in Thailand unless you are going to say things such as Angkor Wat or ease of visas and working. Anyway, I will leave it at that from me regards this thread.

On 07/04/2017 at 7:35 PM, Sheryl said:

I spend about half my time in Cambodia and half in Thailand, roughly. There are pros and cons to each place.

I do not understand the above poster's comment "If you look behind the Khmer smile, this is what you will see and it isn't pretty. ".  Most Khmer people are absolutely wonderful, in my decades long experience of the place. Indeed, the people, and their much more open attitude towards foreigners (compared to Thailand) is the biggest "plus" to the place. Anyone who is experiencing otherwise is either hanging out in very much the wrong places, or needs to examine their own behavior and way of interacting.

The post  is however correct regarding the abysmal state of medical care, unfortunately. Every Cambodian who can afford it, goes to Thailand or Viet Nam when they need health care, and for very good reason. Not just the wealthy ones, the middle class as well -- and there is a rapidly growing middle class in Cambodia.

Also true that there is a lot of garbage on the streets.

And definitely the police are corrupt, and the government a dictatorship.

But a lot else posted above does not resemble the country I know. Education standards are improving and the levels of education have risen very dramatically in the past decade. Which is not to say there isn't still a long way to go but frankly I don't think it is much worse than in rural Thailand. Students are very, very motivated and almost all of them take private classes after hours, especially for English and computer, something you seldom find in Thailand. English speaking is as a result much more widespread than in Thailand.

Despite the bad political situation the economy is booming and has enjoyed more than a decade of nearly double digit growth. Cambodia was just reclassifed from lower income to lower middle income status and one of the nicest things to see has been the explosion of size of an educated middle class, the emergence of very well read and articulate Cambodian intellectuals etc.

As for cost of living -- some things cost more and some things cost less.  How this will shake out for you depends on your lifestyle. In Phnom Penh, you can get what I would consider an acceptable 1 bedroom apartment (a/c, wifi, hot water, center of town, etc) for about $300 on up. At $300 the level of furnishing will be pretty sparse but will include basics.  If you go up to $400 it gets much nicer and there are some services apartments in the $450-500 range (i.e. maid service etc). However electricity costs are very high and are additional to rent.About  $100/month for a small apartment, more in the hot season or if you are home most of the time.

Rents are much cheaper in the provinces but quality of accomodation is less as is general availability of things a Westerner might want to buy or do, except for Siem Reap where some  nice apartments have gone up catering to Westerners in recent years.

Basically the people who seem to settle in happily are those with a genuine interest in the culture and the people and willingness to make Khmer friends. Those just going for a cheaper cost of living and wanting only bars etc, in my experience may be content for a few months but not for the long haul.

The medical care issue is a big one and older people in particular should take note. It is essential to have a health insurance policy that will cover medical evacuation to Thailand if needed.

Well Sheryl you have summed it up, IMHO and Scouse123 has some good points, but it seems Thailand is winning by default, I can't help wondering for how long.  I have been here for 12 years or so and can understand why people are looking elsewhere!  The medical thing in Cambodia has always been the BIG thing!

On 7/4/2017 at 8:35 PM, Sheryl said:

I spend about half my time in Cambodia and half in Thailand, roughly. There are pros and cons to each place.

I do not understand the above poster's comment "If you look behind the Khmer smile, this is what you will see and it isn't pretty. ".  Most Khmer people are absolutely wonderful, in my decades long experience of the place. Indeed, the people, and their much more open attitude towards foreigners (compared to Thailand) is the biggest "plus" to the place. Anyone who is experiencing otherwise is either hanging out in very much the wrong places, or needs to examine their own behavior and way of interacting.

The post  is however correct regarding the abysmal state of medical care, unfortunately. Every Cambodian who can afford it, goes to Thailand or Viet Nam when they need health care, and for very good reason. Not just the wealthy ones, the middle class as well -- and there is a rapidly growing middle class in Cambodia.

But a lot else posted above does not resemble the country I know. Education standards are improving and the levels of education have risen very dramatically in the past decade. Which is not to say there isn't still a long way to go but frankly I don't think it is much worse than in rural Thailand. Students are very, very motivated and almost all of them take private classes after hours, especially for English and computer, something you seldom find in Thailand. English speaking is as a result much more widespread than in Thailand.

Despite the bad political situation the economy is booming and has enjoyed more than a decade of nearly double digit growth. Cambodia was just reclassifed from lower income to lower middle income status and one of the nicest things to see has been the explosion of size of an educated middle class, the emergence of very well read and articulate Cambodian intellectuals etc.

As for cost of living -- some things cost more and some things cost less.  How this will shake out for you depends on your lifestyle. In Phnom Penh, you can get what I would consider an acceptable 1 bedroom apartment (a/c, wifi, hot water, center of town, etc) for about $300 on up. At $300 the level of furnishing will be pretty sparse but will include basics.  If you go up to $400 it gets much nicer and there are some services apartments in the $450-500 range (i.e. maid service etc). However electricity costs are very high and are additional to rent.About  $100/month for a small apartment, more in the hot season or if you are home most of the time.

Rents are much cheaper in the provinces but quality of accomodation is less as is general availability of things a Westerner might want to buy or do, except for Siem Reap where some  nice apartments have gone up catering to Westerners in recent years.

Basically the people who seem to settle in happily are those with a genuine interest in the culture and the people and willingness to make Khmer friends. Those just going for a cheaper cost of living and wanting only bars etc, in my experience may be content for a few months but not for the long haul.

The medical care issue is a big one and older people in particular should take note. It is essential to have a health insurance policy that will cover medical evacuation to Thailand if needed.

You are the calm voice amongst the hysterical.  Never new Cambodia was hell on earth until reading Thai Visa.  Met one man who spoused the same vitriolic condemnations as posted here.  Asked him when he was in Cambodia last, he replied 1995.   Cambodia may not be for everyone, but it is not bad given its present circumstances. 

17 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

So far from the opponents to my posts, NOT ONE  POSTER WHO DISAGREES has been able to point out that anything in my posts that were incorrect. All they have been able to do is resort to name calling.

I think phycokiller has been smoking too many of these joints before he wrote this load of nonsense in the box above. Either that or sunbathing too much without a hat.

Cambodia is not a ' police state like Thailand ' Where did you dig that gem up from?  Cambodia is a full on autocratic dictatorship with Hun Sen at the helm. Democratic opposition leaders fleeing the country or risk being thrown in jail on trumped up charges, extra judicial killings and murders of opposition members, because elections are looming in 2018, and he knows he will have to cheat the numbers like he did before to forcibly stay in power. The ' monarchy isn't under threat '  Another gem in your collection! The monarchy has no power at all and is only a symbol of Cambodia to hold and bring the people together in times of suffering and crisis.

Hun Sen entered into a coalition with a member of the monarchy in the 90s, after losing the election and refusing to give up power, and then got rid of him afterwards and reneged on all his promises or didn't you know that?

He has a habit of doing such things when he loses an election or ignoring the result or refusing to accept it.

He has his own complete private bodyguard including a Mini-army that operates and answers to him only, in case things do not go his own way, did you know that?

He uses the Army against the population. It is not that the people do not want change, they yearn change and freedom. It is repression and fear that stops them rising up, not because as you stated , ' they are too polite to resist their overlords and don't care anyway '

Below is a link so that you can educate yourself on Cambodian recent history.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2007/07/27/cambodia-july-1997-shock-and-aftermath

yes, what you say is mostly true. the difference is that hun sen gets his money from foreign aid. yes he is an <deleted> and he does force people off land that he wants and he is directing all that foreign aid into him and has friends pockets and he does arrest the opposition to keep his power. but he mostly leaves the rest of the population and most of the press alone because he doent want to risk losing his foreign aid income. you dont see police chasing street venders up the streets here to steal their money and you dont see police running scam operations and you dont see police piss testing foreigners in nightclubs or on the street, in PP anyway.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:35 AM, Sheryl said:

Spot on, as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't have said it better meself.

in short this is how I see it, if you are looking for a place like where you come from but cheap warm and with easy sex go to thailand, if you are looking for somewhere a little different from where you come from but cheap warm and with easy sex go to cambodia

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

The only decent store i seen in Cambodia there were 3 taxfree shops at the airport of PP on my way out.

sure, if shopping is important to you cambodia isnt your best bet, in fact probably best just to stay in your home country

Just now, phycokiller said:

sure, if shopping is important to you cambodia isnt your best bet, in fact probably best just to stay in your home country

Sorry Cambodia its nice people but that country is a true thirdworld hell hole.It takes them about 12 years to buildt a simple flyover how wonderful stuck more in traffic each day for 12 years for a simple flyover?It will be their first i guess a real novelty.

2 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

not saying they dont exist, but I very rarely even seen a policeman in the tourist area of PP. depends where you go I guess

Scam starts at airport charging 35 usd instead of 30 usd visa.pocket 5 usd each time without receipt 

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Sorry Cambodia its nice people but that country is a true thirdworld hell hole.It takes them about 12 years to buildt a simple flyover how wonderful stuck more in traffic each day for 12 years for a simple flyover?It will be their first i guess a real novelty.

I dont disagree but I didnt come to cambodia for the speed that they can build a flyover, its totally irrelevant to my life. maybe you should try LA or Shanghai if thats your thing

5 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

I dont disagree but I didnt come to cambodia for the speed that they can build a flyover, its totally irrelevant to my life. maybe you should try LA or Shanghai if thats your thing

Its just opinions?.if you like it there please enjoy.by the way Sihanoukville somewhat okay for a short visit it reminded me about how Phuket was 30 years ago.very laid back.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its just opinions?.if you like it there please enjoy.by the way Sihanoukville somewhat okay for a short visit it reminded me about how Phuket was 30 years ago.very laid back.

You sound gullible. Snookieville is rated by some to be the most dangerous place in SE asia. Full of corrupt cops and other local scum. What a hole of a place. Just google dangers of sihanoukville. 

2 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

You sound gullible. Snookieville is rated by some to be the most dangerous place in SE asia. Full of corrupt cops and other local scum. What a hole of a place. Just google dangers of sihanoukville. 

Yes but its a nice stretch of a beach they got and lot of young foreigners therr to mingle with and beach club parties at night.Okay for a couple of days besides Sihanoukville in Cambodia nothing pleased me whatsoever.

46 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

cambodia is changing fast, yes it was very dangerous and currupt ten years ago, now not so much.

also, the poster has actually been there, his experience is just as valid as any other you might be able to google up, calling him gullible is silly

Below is from a blogger who loved Cambodia and has no axe to grind as I am accused of being unfair or creating hysteria. Please read.

This is a fair analysis by an independent traveler from the USA both in 2010 and then more recently and she covers a number of tourist visited areas. I suppose it really is down to the person who is traveling themselves,but I totally relate to what she says.

http://www.adventurouskate.com/cambodia-has-changed-and-not-for-the-better/

22 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

as i said before Cambodia  its a horrible country sorry just mine honest opinion.crossing roads there its pure suicide.

And in Thailand, it is what? How about Viet nam? Or India. Cambodia has only one big city, so your comment falls a bit flat.

Must be something seriously wrong with me for liking the place and just rolling with the shortcomings - of course, there are things I don't like much either but I decide to not focus on those plus the same applies for any country, including our native ones). You don't have to like the place and you're entitled to your own opinion but after all these years on T.V. I still can't get over the hate that people work themselves into, like Cambodia has picked you out of all people and decided to make your life miserable and is to blame (Thailand gets it too in other threads, of course). Hint: It isn't the country, it's you, these are your own 'programs' coming up, as not everyone living there has the same experiences or feelings (and no, the posters on T.V. are not a representative group as negativity breeds keyboard warriors these days, intent on convincing others that their opinion is the only right one).

It's obviously better if the negatively inclined posters don't come for a longer stay; wouldn't want you to be (even more) miserable and perhaps have to change your ways, Buddha forbid.

So, yeah, it's a 'orrible place, stay away.

2 minutes ago, mrdome said:

And in Thailand, it is what? How about Viet nam? Or India. Cambodia has only one big city, so your comment falls a bit flat.

Must be something seriously wrong with me for liking the place and just rolling with the shortcomings - of course, there are things I don't like much either but I decide to not focus on those plus the same applies for any country, including our native ones). You don't have to like the place and you're entitled to your own opinion but after all these years on T.V. I still can't get over the hate that people work themselves into, like Cambodia has picked you out of all people and decided to make your life miserable and is to blame (Thailand gets it too in other threads, of course). Hint: It isn't the country, it's you, these are your own 'programs' coming up, as not everyone living there has the same experiences or feelings (and no, the posters on T.V. are not a representative group as negativity breeds keyboard warriors these days, intent on convincing others that their opinion is the only right one).

It's obviously better if the negatively inclined posters don't come for a longer stay; wouldn't want you to be (even more) miserable and perhaps have to change your ways, Buddha forbid.

So, yeah, it's a 'orrible place, stay away.

I just do not like the country cambodia its in total a very uncomfortable place for me, sorry to have hurt ur feelings.on a positive note i do think Cambodian people are very kind and interested to talk with foreigners.

" sorry to have hurt ur feelings " You did no such thing, that's a misconception.

The places that would definitely make me uncomfortable are in the Middle East and living in some parts of Africa would probably give me a hard time.

13 minutes ago, mrdome said:

" sorry to have hurt ur feelings " You did no such thing, that's a misconception.

The places that would definitely make me uncomfortable are in the Middle East and living in some parts of Africa would probably give me a hard time.

Most likely uncomfortable in those countries also,but our opinion was asked about Cambodia in this thread.

4 hours ago, 4737 Carlin said:

After living here in Phnom Penh for a few years I have to agree with the above blogger. This guy's blog is also the most accurate assessment of Cambodia, and Cambodians, that I've found on the web:

http://www.travelingmark.com/cambodia/cambodia-laziest-nation-in-the-world/

cant see how this relates to the post above but this is one of the things I like about the place. if you want a protestant work ethic probably best to stick the the west or china, you arent really going to get it anywhere in the tropics

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Below is from a blogger who loved Cambodia and has no axe to grind as I am accused of being unfair or creating hysteria. Please read.

This is a fair analysis by an independent traveler from the USA both in 2010 and then more recently and she covers a number of tourist visited areas. I suppose it really is down to the person who is traveling themselves,but I totally relate to what she says.

http://www.adventurouskate.com/cambodia-has-changed-and-not-for-the-better/

who would have guessed that there are thieves in cambodia? this is a list of muggings and thefts she has heard about mostly, with a link at the bottom to a travel insurance company that she gets a commission from. not saying that she doesnt genuinely believe its unsafe, nor am I saying it is safe, but theres plenty of posts in the comments by travelers that didnt get mugged or feel unsafe

Archived