SURVEY: Do you agree with not allowing passengers in the back of pickups?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you agree with not allowing passengers in the back of pickups?  

335 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44% agrees with me to not allow any passengers on the back , of course it's practical impossible in Thailand where the majority of Thai families buy a pickup to be able to carry anything from humans to buffaloes. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, balo said:

44% agrees with me to not allow any passengers on the back , of course it's practical impossible in Thailand where the majority of Thai families buy a pickup to be able to carry anything from humans to buffaloes. 

56% don't.

That surprised me because presumably most people on the boards are foreigners, and I thought about 70% would agree with you.

I'd guess an overwhelming majority of Thais would not be in favour of a ban.

14 hours ago, Ijustcashier said:

60 kph is absolutely deadly if you hit a pole

So IMO they should be banned as people movers

There is an easy solution.

Owners can replace Pick ups with commercial long wheel based vans with after market triple(3 rows) bench seat, seat belts and sliding windows. The whole package will be a bit cheaper than a pick up and seat 9 in the back.

Plenty of room for storage as well

Yes. Let them eat cake.

Banning people in the back of pick-ups is ridiculous. It shows that the leaders are out of touch with reality. Next thing they will want to enforce the two person per motorcycle rule. The majority of people can't afford to comply with these safety rules.

It's time that the police showed a presence on the highways and started enforcing the road rules that will really make a difference: drunk-driving, speeding, wrong-way driving, etc.

Banning people in the back of pick-ups is ridiculous. It shows that the leaders are out of touch with reality. Next thing they will want to enforce the two person per motorcycle rule. The majority of people can't afford to comply with these safety rules.
It's time that the police showed a presence on the highways and started enforcing the road rules that will really make a difference: drunk-driving, speeding, wrong-way driving, etc.

Yes they need to tackle motorbike as well and ban people from using 5 year olds as there own personal little airbag in case of accident.. Dead kid no big deal just make another one right?

You better believe things are changing and fast

Thailand is at the stage many developing countries were before they moved to first.

Suck it up farangs, it's happening. It's inevitable!

I think they are taking the lead from most Western Countries, where this has been illegal for quite some time, however, the situation in Thailand is a little bit different.

First, the biggest killer is motorbikes and unless/until they do something about improving driving and safety on those, the accident rate will be very high.

Second,  passengers in the back of pickups is somewhat of a tradition here, as well as a necessity.   I know a nice old lady who won't ride in the front because she thinks its too dangerous.   I suspect that her dislike of air conditioning has more to do with it than safety, though.

They might want to take a very gradual approach to this rule.   First only adults, second, very limited numbers, third restricted to certain roads, fourth restricted in the speed they can drive, fifth transport only during daylight hours.   Eventually, they can work their way toward a solution that ensures the safety of passengers.   

11 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

That is BS. It all came from the insurance companies that do not like to pay out.

Insurance companies don't legislate!

My lawyer partner tells me It was driven by cost to the government via a free public health system, but of course she may be wrong, and you right?  That's probably the case.

Edited by F4UCorsair

There are alternatives.  Jump seats with restraints can seat up to four. I know you often see more than four in the bed of a pickup.  I am just saying this option exists as I witnessed in Southern California USA on my travels through the state. 

id say let them stay in the back of  pick ups and  aim your attention at the awful driving habits, corner  cutting ( all 4  wheels over the line), overtaking into oncoming traffic, under taking ,lane  hogging especially pick ups so overloaded they darent turn the wheel for fear of  tipping over so sit in the outside  lane absolutely refusing to move over, lorry drivers with no signals and also the "might is right" crap,  slowly   joining any road instead of adapting to faster flowing traffic expecting that traffic to slow to your  speed, all u turns, if kept, to be staggered so both carriageways cannot  possibly u turn in the same place which would at least help visibility, mobile phone use, alcohol, seat belts enforced where  fitted ................ all fully enforced.............. deaths form overturned  passengers in pick ups is probably not that high in relation to bikes.

I dont really think this no people in pick up beds  will save  much in the way of deaths compared to the other things Ive listed.

As a  side  note I came  up from Hua Hin last night at 3  am, followed a Police pick up for 40 kilometres, weaving in and out of other traffic  no signals and averaging 150kph, thought about You Tube posting it as have dashcam then thought  theyd "do me" for  speeding behind  it, just curios to see how they drove so  followed it a good distance behind.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:52 AM, dick dasterdly said:

I agree.

It seems unlikely that anyone actually wants to sit/stand in the back of a pickup (apart from Songkran...), but rather have no other choice.

Obviously its not as safe as sitting in a car - but then again I'd be suprised if riding a 'bike is not even more unsafe when it comes to casualty statistics.  Should riding a 'bike be banned too?

23 hours ago, stevenl said:

Quite a few Thais I know prefer the back of the pickup over the cabin: more space, smoking allowed, fresh wind, etc.

Most of those in the back of pickups are not there because they want to smoke/enjoy the fresh wind - they are there because they have no choice.

Agree entirely that the back seat of a pickup is extremely cramped and uncomfortable - which is why on the two occasions I had no other option than to sit in the back seat of a pickup (with my dog) or sit in the 'back' of the pickup, I selected the open back end.

Those who ride in the back of pickups nearly always have no/little choice - its rarely something they do for 'fun'.

Edit - And I go back to 'bikes.  Most deaths are 'bike riders - FAR more than those in the back of pickups.  Should riding 'bikes also be banned?

Edited by dick dasterdly

18 hours ago, Celer et Audax said:

Presumably you also consider drink driving ok as well?

Well, actually we were taught to drive after drinking. We had a strange rule that you could not buy alcohol on Sundays unless you were a traveller at least 30 miles from you home address. So of course we would drive 30 miles to get a drink on Sunday.

But more seriously let me ask you a question. If you lived in a rural area where ther were no taxis or public transport and you daughter took ill  at night and needed to go to a doctor. If you had already drunk 3 beers, and you are the only one who can drive a car, would you refuse to take her to the doctor.

1 minute ago, F4UCorsair said:

I guess they lobbied against the use of hands on mobile phones as well?  Putting a hand out through a sun roof??

Both are illegal.

Possibly, as they will support anything that will make it easier to deny a claim.  But only supposing.

Just now, F4UCorsair said:

I guess they lobbied against the use of hands on mobile phones as well?  Putting a hand out through a sun roof??

Both are illegal.

Here in Thailand I doubt the insurance companies had little to do with the proposed new legislation, as it seems to be an entirely different system compared to Western countries.

Insurance companies in Western countries pay out a lot more and similarly have far more 'clout' as they are not only far more wealthy, but more importantly, their money is tied up in investments.

Consequently they pay a lot of money for influential directors etc.

1 minute ago, GreasyFingers said:

Possibly, as they will support anything that will make it easier to deny a claim.  But only supposing.

Going back a few decades, it depended on the insurance company.

Having worked in the claims department of a large insurance company for a few years (a while back), at the time I knew those companies that would do anything to deny a claim, and those that acted responsibly.

Times have probably changed for the worse since then :sad:.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:13 AM, realenglish1 said:

They should be allowed within the inner city but not on highways and roads exceeding 60 km per hour

This is still a 3rd world country

Child safety seats are not even considered here 

My sister in law was in an accident last year and her younger kid was thrown about in the car but not seriously  hurt.

Even still there is no consideration for a child car seat Even after that

the thais have no idea about safety. They have a completely different mindset as proven by your comment

It really is a difficult situation, and I won't go into the history of the whole thing.

It is dangerous to travel in the back of an open pick up for sure, or have 3 or 4 people on one motorcycle. 

Possibly a 6 month to 12 month warning that the rules were going to be enforced along with television ads,  perfect time on television would be during the breaks in the Thai Soaps to get the message out. Get the Soap super stars in on it to get the message over.

Plenty of companies make pick up rollover bars so perhaps an assisted, financial, system where 6 or 4 seats could be fitted with restraints etc under the rollover cage.

Just sayin'.

OK you can shoot me down in flames now.

??