Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT

madmax2

hilux is nicer inside than my 2012 wildtrack, i prefer the outside look of the hilux to the rangers that is getting outdated now in my opinion, performance a lot better but the ranger was a 2.2 and the hilux is a 2.8
Everything seems to be a better quality in the hilux including the leather used in the interior
Early days yet but we are very happy with the hilux at present

You were raving as well bout the ranger after you bought it.

sent using Tapatalk

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the last 40 years I've always had either a Toyota truck or a Ford Truck in the garage.  Both brands have given me excellent service and few repairs.  In the US Toyota's trucks had really risen in price to the point that they weren't a logical option relative to Ford.  We test drove both the Ranger and the Hilux this time.  We wanted to get the Ranger with the 3.2 diesel.  After putting money down and numerous broken promises on a delivery date we went to Toyota and got what we wanted there in a day.  The only drawback to the Ranger would have been the lack of factory in-dash navigation.

19 hours ago, commie said:

Only one thing concerns me regarding Hilux...

Otherwise it's not bad at all (well, dull interior but it's standard for all Toyotas) and with slightly tuned up engine runs perfect with no turbolag and plenty of juice.  

No moose in Thailand and never have been any, had to tell my wife to stop hanging on when i went around a bend it corners as well as the ford did, and to stop believing everything she reads on the Internet especially if it involves moose

Interiors great i am not into black,car interiors or clothes

19 hours ago, madmax2 said:

No moose in Thailand and never have been any, had to tell my wife to stop hanging on when i went around a bend it corners as well as the ford did, and to stop believing everything she reads on the Internet especially if it involves moose

Interiors great i am not into black,car interiors or clothes

I used Vigo a lot as a recce car on rallies and yes, it behaves just like in this video at speeds over ~50 km/h. Was quite surprised first time I experienced this.

6 minutes ago, commie said:

I used Vigo a lot as a recce car on rallies and yes, it behaves just like in this video at speeds over ~50 km/h. Was quite surprised first time I experienced this.

Strange my 4x4 Vigo now in it's tenth year has never given me a scare, but then I drive it as a high rise truck and not a rally car....:tongue:

No, these are not Vigo's....Nope, nope, nope......Just ask the Ford guy's and those capable of rolling anything for the camera....:tongue:

I'll try and roll mine over if you want. Need to disable the stability control and roll-over mitigation software first.

8 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I need to get a front and a rear tow hook for my truck.  We've needed to pull people out several times, but there was no safe place to connect a tow rope or chain.  Anybody have any ideas? Would have used it this morning.

My Vigo has one from factory at the front. Take a look, drivers side...It must be a Toyota part..

8 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I need to get a front and a rear tow hook for my truck.  We've needed to pull people out several times, but there was no safe place to connect a tow rope or chain.  Anybody have any ideas? Would have used it this morning.

The last frebbie they offered us to sign up was a emergency kit, it included a snatch strap with D shackles each end, i cannot get down to check under the vehicle but you would only require a bolt hole to attach it to the vehicle 

7 minutes ago, transam said:

My Vigo has one from factory at the front. Take a look, drivers side...It must be a Toyota part..

Sure enough, it does.  First time I needed it I looked around, but I guess I didn't bend down low enough.  That's really all I need.  Rear would be good too, but I won't tow people down the road like they do here.  We just pulled another brand new Revo out this morning.  They never notice this.  They just shackled around the front bumper support.  No damage done, but I didn't like it. Had to use a farm tractor.

6 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

Sure enough, it does.  First time I needed it I looked around, but I guess I didn't bend down low enough.  That's really all I need.  Rear would be good too, but I won't tow people down the road like they do here.  We just pulled another brand new Revo out this morning.  They never notice this.  They just shackled around the front bumper support.  No damage done, but I didn't like it. Had to use a farm tractor.

When I pulled someone out I just roped around the rear axle, never looked to see if there was a tow hook there, but there is lots of chassis rearward from the spring hanger to bolt on a hook..

3 minutes ago, transam said:

When I pulled someone out I just roped around the rear axle, never looked to see if there was a tow hook there, but there is lots of chassis rearward from the spring hanger to bolt on a hook..

I remember thinking that too, but I didn't really feel like crawling in the mud.  I'm just not as agile as I used to be.  

5 minutes ago, transam said:

This is for you then...Vigo tow bar...

58f1ab5045bb6_towbar.jpg.98d10a225df7440f5d8655b61cabc0c1.jpg

It's probably time to bite the bullet and get one.  Stuff like this is always surprisingly cheap here and the labor is essentially free, although this might be an easy DIY.

1 minute ago, tuktuktuk said:

It's probably time to bite the bullet and get one.  Stuff like this is always surprisingly cheap here and the labor is essentially free, although this might be an easy DIY.

There are many designs out there, depends on usage..

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

I will have to get a price from Toyota, Looks like its a good rear end collision stopper

I have had absolutely no issues with my Revo and I drive it hard. Love it on short and long drives. Great power. After an 8 hour drive I am never tired and I have mine lifted 4" and larger tires. I also have the G option. Seats are very comfortable, Great HID lights for night driving.  I really like the interior ergonomics as well. 

26 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I will have to get a price from Toyota, Looks like its a good rear end collision stopper

Get the Piak Jungle rear bumper replacement.  Very stout, well made. I have one. Excellent addition

If its of interest to anyone who is thinking of buying a new Toyota this is the best deal i was able to negotiate of Phuket Toyota dealers in one day

45,000 baht cash discount, and the following freebees

12 months first class insurance

bed liner ( not already fitted to the 2 new  revo 2.8g we looked at)

film on windows

side visors on doors

stainless steel scuff plates

chrome handle scratch guards

fuel 1000 baht

Toyota rubber floor mats

emergency set of snatch strap, HD jumper leads, spotlight and warning triangle

You could probably get a better deal in Bangkok where there are more independent dealers 

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

If its of interest to anyone who is thinking of buying a new Toyota this is the best deal i was able to negotiate of Phuket Toyota dealers in one day

45,000 baht cash discount, and the following freebees

12 months first class insurance

bed liner ( not already fitted to the 2 new  revo 2.8g we looked at)

film on windows

side visors on doors

stainless steel scuff plates

chrome handle scratch guards

fuel 1000 baht

Toyota rubber floor mats

You could probably get a better deal in Bangkok where there are more independent dealers 

Good deal.  I got all same as you in AYD plus free English owners manual and 2 Toyota Revo drinking glasses LOL, an umbrella and a window sunshade.  I paid cash as well and  my discount was 60,000 baht. I have the special pearl paint and that was 10k baht more so really only 50k cash discount.  My order took 5.5 weeks after deposit.

Enjoy your ride. I am at 32k kms now.  

3 hours ago, madmax2 said:

So you are saying the dealership in Phuket sells snatch strap, HD jumper leads, spotlight and warning triangles? 

11 hours ago, fullcave said:

So you are saying the dealership in Phuket sells snatch strap, HD jumper leads, spotlight and warning triangles? 

Its a kit you can buy from any Toyota dealer in a case, we were given ours for free

12 hours ago, JAFO said:

Good deal.  I got all same as you in AYD plus free English owners manual and 2 Toyota Revo drinking glasses LOL, an umbrella and a window sunshade.  I paid cash as well and  my discount was 60,000 baht. I have the special pearl paint and that was 10k baht more so really only 50k cash discount.  My order took 5.5 weeks after deposit.

Enjoy your ride. I am at 32k kms now.  

We got the English owners manual as well, as soon as i signed the contract

It says on their (Toyota) web site there is no charge for color which i pointed out to them when they tried to charge me extra for metallic silver, and i did not pay extra, sounds like you were conned

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

We got the English owners manual as well, as soon as i signed the contract

It says on their (Toyota) web site there is no charge for color which i pointed out to them when they tried to charge me extra for metallic silver, and i did not pay extra, sounds like you were conned

Interesting.  I suspect it was hidden in all the other perks. Gave me huge cash discount and then charged me for the pearl metallic white paint.  All good. Not fretting over $300.  Still amazes me all what they give you when you buy. They also offered free car washes as long as I own the truck and bring to them however I don't live in Ayutthaya.  I just bought there because of best deal and perks.  

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Interesting.  I suspect it was hidden in all the other perks. Gave me huge cash discount and then charged me for the pearl metallic white paint.  All good. Not fretting over $300.  Still amazes me all what they give you when you buy. They also offered free car washes as long as I own the truck and bring to them however I don't live in Ayutthaya.  I just bought there because of best deal and perks.  

car wash is just a sale pitch to get your business, OK under warranty but B quik offer quicker and cheaper service once the new car warranty runs out 

1 hour ago, phutoie2 said:

Toyota offer to wash my truck free after every service, eight yo Hilux D4D,  FA to do with warranties. 

I never said it was to do with warranties,I said it was to get peoples business which you normally give to Toyota under warranty anyway to keep the warranty

I said B quik are cheaper and suggested people use them after the warranty is finished

Get your facts straight sport, Most dealers of all brands will wash your vehicle for free if they do the service on it

Archived