Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT

madmax2

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

car wash is just a sale pitch to get your business, OK under warranty but B quik offer quicker and cheaper service once the new car warranty runs out 

Ohh yeah. Same pitch in U.S. 

However I do all my own truck and car service here as I did in the U.S.  Part of my hobby stuff plus keeps me busy. I have all the tools plus the OBDII and diagnostics reader so easy cheesy :smile:.  

Cheers. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Ohh yeah. Same pitch in U.S. 

However I do all my own truck and car service here as I did in the U.S.  Part of my hobby stuff plus keeps me busy. I have all the tools plus the OBDII and diagnostics reader so easy cheesy :smile:.  

Cheers. 

Unfortunately unless you have a dealer stamped service u you lose your warranty.

8 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Unfortunately unless you have a dealer stamped service u you lose your warranty.

Good to know. Now I have a better reason for taking it to Toyota. Definitely not the case in the US. They'll accept a hand written log of date and service for DIY folks.

Dealer service is cheap here compared to Australia, but in Australia you can take your vehicle to a independent workshop run by a qualified mechanic and as long as they use genuine parts the manufacturer of the vehicle has to honor the warranty

These independent workshops are a lot cheaper than the dealer workshops for the same work

Interestingly warranties always seem to be a big concern and I have found them to always be negotiable depending on what failed after you changed or added something to your vehicle.  With that said however I never really worried about warranties quite honestly. I respect to some it means a lot especially if they are not vehicle fix it types. For me if something breaks I just repair it. Most new vehicles seldom ever fail within the 2 or 3 years from purchase which is why makers know how long to offer them..

I keep all my vehicles 10 years or longer so I prefer to do my own PM. I drove my truck home and installed my lift kit with 104kms on it. Swapped out the rear drum brakes with the Fortuner rear disc brakes about a month later. When I took it in for the free 1000km service, the techs in the shop and I talked about the mods. I made a few friends.  Always helps to have friends at the dealer.  

I agree that servicing here is significantly cheaper then Aus and States.

39 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Interestingly warranties always seem to be a big concern and I have found them to always be negotiable depending on what failed after you changed or added something to your vehicle.  With that said however I never really worried about warranties quite honestly. I respect to some it means a lot especially if they are not vehicle fix it types. For me if something breaks I just repair it. Most new vehicles seldom ever fail within the 2 or 3 years from purchase which is why makers know how long to offer them..

I keep all my vehicles 10 years or longer so I prefer to do my own PM. I drove my truck home and installed my lift kit with 104kms on it. Swapped out the rear drum brakes with the Fortuner rear disc brakes about a month later. When I took it in for the free 1000km service, the techs in the shop and I talked about the mods. I made a few friends.  Always helps to have friends at the dealer.  

I agree that servicing here is significantly cheaper then Aus and States.

What truck and where did you purchase the Fortuner rear disc brakes? :)

On 4/9/2017 at 10:08 AM, madmax2 said:

A mate has a 9 yo Toyota hilux and was and was recently offered the same trade in price for it that Ford offered us for the ranger when it was 2.5 years old

So you Ford lovers can stick that in your pipe and smoke it (joking of course) 

just sold this 2007 Toyota with genuine 48 thousand kilos and full service history for 455,000 baht

could have sold it 10 times, had many offers over 400,000

1-min.JPG

1 hour ago, fullcave said:

What truck and where did you purchase the Fortuner rear disc brakes? :)

I have a 2016 Revo 4x4.  The rear disc brake set up is off the 2016 newer Fortuner.  There is a shop in BKK that sells and installs the set up. All parts are Toyota OEM except the shielded braided lines I added front and rear. 

1 hour ago, notamember said:

just sold this 2007 Toyota with genuine 48 thousand kilos and full service history for 455,000 baht

could have sold it 10 times, had many offers over 400,000

1-min.JPG

You may owe me some commission......:stoner:......:laugh:

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have a 2016 Revo 4x4.  The rear disc brake set up is off the 2016 newer Fortuner.  There is a shop in BKK that sells and installs the set up. All parts are Toyota OEM except the shielded braided lines I added front and rear. 

How much and what was the name of the shop? Thanks!! :)

6 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Are the brakes on the Revo that bad? I would've hoped they improved the Vigo ones.

Actually No. They are good.  I just don't care for rear drum for a host of reasons. I know they do it for cost considerations but 4 wheel discs are far superior and when off-roading the disc clear quicker and cool faster. Just a personal preference on my part.   

9 hours ago, fullcave said:

How much and what was the name of the shop? Thanks!! :)

I will get the info.  My cost was significantly reduced for other reasons so I do not want to state and make it misleading. I will let you negotiate a price with the shop. But for a ballpark guesstimate the cost would be around 40k to 50k baht installed. 

8 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Are the brakes on the Revo that bad? I would've hoped they improved the Vigo ones.

No they are not bad brakes, the Revo brakes are better than the Rangers from personal experience driving both types of vehicles

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

No they are not bad brakes, the Revo brakes are better than the Rangers from personal experience driving both types of vehicles

I agree too from my experience riding in both trucks. I mean its not a huge difference but braking is better and more responsive in the Hilux.  I suspect it's because the Ranger has a heavier curb weight.  I still haven't heard from Ranger owners how their truck rides loaded like we see so many Hilux and Isuzu trucks.   

The Toyota owners manual is a lot better than Fords, among other things it has the complete service schedule in it, Ford does not and they could not supply me with a service schedule when i asked them to

Its nice to know what the are doing or not doing and what you are paying for when you put your vehicle in for servicing

I agree too from my experience riding in both trucks. I mean its not a huge difference but braking is better and more responsive in the Hilux.  I suspect it's because the Ranger has a heavier curb weight.  I still haven't heard from Ranger owners how their truck rides loaded like we see so many Hilux and Isuzu trucks.   

There's a video on Car advice Aus where they do a comprehensive comparison of all the locally available trucks plus the VW. IIRC they do a test with 750kg in the back.

I'm not sure many Revo owners particularly enjoy that video though.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

There's a video on Car advice Aus where they do a comprehensive comparison of all the locally available trucks plus the VW. IIRC they do a test with 750kg in the back.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

We have never carried more than 250KG in the back of any pickup truck, its used as a passenger vehicle with the added benefit of carrying items you would not be able to load in a SUV, mainly garden stuff for my wife

If i wanted to carry a heavy load in the back or use it for towing we would have bought a Isuzu

We have never carried more than 250KG in the back of any pickup truck, its used as a passenger vehicle with the added benefit of carrying items you would not be able to load in a SUV, mainly garden stuff for my wife
If i wanted to carry a heavy load in the back or use it for towing we would have bought a Isuzu

That's nice. I was replying to JAFO.

Just now, JaseTheBass said:

That's nice. I was replying to JAFO.

You were trying to rubbish Toyota's as you have been doing all along, i am glad you love your ford and hope you have no major mechanical problems with it so you can keep loving it, give it a hug from me

The Toyota owners manual is a lot better than Fords, among other things it has the complete service schedule in it, Ford does not and they could not supply me with a service schedule when i asked them to
Its nice to know what the are doing or not doing and what you are paying for when you put your vehicle in for servicing

I thought the service schedule was in the service book?

You were trying to rubbish Toyota's as you have been doing all along, i am glad you love your ford and hope you have no major mechanical problems with it so you can keep loving it, give it a hug from me

So, when IMHO posted that info some months ago, it was OK, but when I post it, I'm rubbishing Toyota?

I think you'll find it's most of the Aussie motoring press doing it.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Actually No. They are good.  I just don't care for rear drum for a host of reasons. I know they do it for cost considerations but 4 wheel discs are far superior and when off-roading the disc clear quicker and cool faster. Just a personal preference on my part.   

Do you have a snorkel on yours? I was thinking that might be a smart addition. I'm not really a frequent off-roader, but probably cooler and cleaner air if you get it from up off the road. I saw a kit advertised, but it seemed too much also something over 40k. I'd do it myself except cutting the fender isn't dummy proof. 

2 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I watch a You tube Video about 6 months back comparing the Isuzu/ford/hilux and the VW I believe. Interesting but boring all in the same. Each had good and bad by the input of the testers. As for me, I know here I wont carry much in mine other than my motorcycle and house building crap I need from time to time. LOL. I was really referring to the crazy guys here in Thailand that way overload them. I suspect some put 1000- 1250Kg or more in the bed. Of course the serious haulers have swapped out  the rear ends with 1ton diffs, multi leaf springs and better shocks. I haven't seen any Fords like that yet. Of course there are Hilux mod shops everywhere where Ford hasn't been here long enough to have people into that market segment yet.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

I think you'll find it's most of the Aussie motoring press doing it.

Yeah that's typical marketing trash talking like they all do... LOL. we all know that.  Man in the US on the Diesel pages it was an all out war.(I was a Mod) and some people would literally lose their minds over debates about which is better, Ford/Chevy/Dodge. Its silly IMHO. They are all so close. Its not like 1 maker boasts 250HP more then the other or that another can carry 2 tons more. We are talking all are within 5% or so of the other (Tech sheet wise). If a general consumer can notice 5% difference between makers they ought to work for those marketing firms LOL!

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

Do you have a snorkel on yours? I was thinking that might be a smart addition. I'm not really a frequent off-roader, but probably cooler and cleaner air if you get it from up off the road. I saw a kit advertised, but it seemed too much also something over 40k. I'd do it myself except cutting the fender isn't dummy proof. 

Naaah I do not have a snorkel on mine. For some reason I have never been a fan even when I did some serious off-roading both here and in the US. I added an aftermarket oil based air cleaner. Same one like we used on our Baja 250 Chevy S10 a friend and mine raced. I have watched numerous video's on the pro's and con's and I guess if you lived in the desert or in the outback in constant high dust areas they would likely offer a benefit. But keep in mind (which I know you likely know so was not saying to offend anyone), they are only an air inlet. Your quality of air into the engine is all about your air cleaner choice.

I don't think I would want to cut a hole in my fender. But that's me. :smile:

On 4/15/2017 at 4:45 PM, madmax2 said:

If its of interest to anyone who is thinking of buying a new Toyota this is the best deal i was able to negotiate of Phuket Toyota dealers in one day

45,000 baht cash discount, and the following freebees

12 months first class insurance

bed liner ( not already fitted to the 2 new  revo 2.8g we looked at)

film on windows

side visors on doors

stainless steel scuff plates

chrome handle scratch guards

fuel 1000 baht

Toyota rubber floor mats

emergency set of snatch strap, HD jumper leads, spotlight and warning triangle

You could probably get a better deal in Bangkok where there are more independent dealers 

Heads up.

There seems to be a promotion going on coutry wide as I was down at the local dealer (not Bangkok) yesterday and had your list above ready but much to my surprise I didn't need it. However, they did told me the list was incorrect as the promotion is actually for 50,000 Baht discount and1500 Baht free fuel otherwise the above list was correct.

At any rate seems like a good time to buy. :thumbsup:   

37 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Heads up.

There seems to be a promotion going on coutry wide as I was down at the local dealer (not Bangkok) yesterday and had your list above ready but much to my surprise I didn't need it. However, they did told me the list was incorrect as the promotion is actually for 50,000 Baht discount and1500 Baht free fuel otherwise the above list was correct.

At any rate seems like a good time to buy. :thumbsup:   

Probably make their own rules mate, two dealers only offered me 35,000 baht discount and 500 baht fuel

I did get a extra 50,000 baht for the trade in from the toyota pearl dealer we bought from

The others would only give me 450,000 and we got 500,000 baht , which more than compensates us with extra value as far as trade in was concerned

6 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Probably make their own rules mate, two dealers only offered me 35,000 baht discount and 500 baht fuel

I did get a extra 50,000 baht for the trade in from the toyota pearl dealer we bought from

The others would only give me 450,000 and we got 500,000 baht , which more than compensates us with extra value as far as trade in was concerned

Nice..:thumbsup:

Archived