Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT

madmax2

Does anyone own one of these current model Toyota's, and are you happy with its performance, Customer are and servicing etc

I would like to know from any owners if they have had any sort of problems with their vehicle

They look good on their advertising and motor reports but so does ford ranger and would like to know real owners opinion before i purchase one

Thanks in advance MM2 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive only had my revo 2.4 prerunner for 3 months and only 3xxx klms but I'm very happy with it,i also looked at a ford but the pattya dealership put me off(think they are terrible) but this just my own opinion,going back to my ride ive mostly just been round pattya until the white plates came since then ive been to khon kaen and back.

1 hour ago, black fox said:

ive only had my revo 2.4 prerunner for 3 months and only 3xxx klms but I'm very happy with it,i also looked at a ford but the pattya dealership put me off(think they are terrible) but this just my own opinion,going back to my ride ive mostly just been round pattya until the white plates came since then ive been to khon kaen and back.

Thanks for the reply mate but only ford rangers are in workshops with faults at that low mileage

More interested in problems with low mileage Toyota vigo/revo models if they have any

I am not hard to get on with, just expect at least 100,000 KLM with only regular service and maintenance on a vehicle, which is not much to ask for a vehicle with diesel engine

Any new updates from last years model? Normally they would have to at least change the rim design to show differentiate between the 2016 and 2017 models. Also, there were reports of the automatic transmission sticking in fifth gear... :coffee1:

55 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Any new updates from last years model? Normally they would have to at least change the rim design to show differentiate between the 2016 and 2017 models. Also, there were reports of the automatic transmission sticking in fifth gear... :coffee1:

Where did you read these reports, please

9 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Where did you read these reports, please

There was a thread about a Fortuner not engaging 6th gear....The second overdrive gear...And that is what it is, a high speed second gear. Think he got it sorted...

My chum has a 2.4 manual Revo, loves it...

3 minutes ago, transam said:

There was a thread about a Fortuner not engaging 6th gear....The second overdrive gear...And that is what it is, a high speed second gear. Think he got it sorted...

My chum has a 2.4 manual Revo, loves it...

jeah mine is auto and up the present I think its great,over the years ive had a fair few motors and also a lot of commercial vehicals too, at present I intend to keep this one a long time.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

How do the happy Revo owner/operators reconcile themselves with the hideous dashboard and the other gross internal fripperies?

I would suggest we all have different views on what we like or dislike about cab internals. Obviously the designer got approval from above to use his creation.

I for instance do not like gray or black interiors, l like light colours..

Interesting, local people in Phuket who have owned both Isuzu and Toyota pickups , i have talked to 3 all prefer the Toyota, it is better equiped.

In the BP newspaper there was a article about customer care and service and satisfaction and Isuzu won easily it seems

I do not like the looks of the Triton and a mate has a new Nissan and had a problem with it, water leaking into the cab i think and i do not really like its outside look, inside is nice

I will never buy another ford as long as i live,my wife has a wildtrack which she will sell for a very reasonable price in the near future, fully serviced and maintained by Ford

All modern vehicles are usually very reliable and reliability, customer care, service, qualified technicians and spare parts availability are the top requirements for me

Toyota wins hands down in my opinion on all these points and nothing that has been posted by vehicle brand lovers on this or any other forum has given a reason to change my mind

Nit picking because the occasional problems people have with any brand does not count unless its by the person who had the problem and are not happy with the results of fixing that problem

I will go in this week to the 4 Toyota showrooms in Phuket and see what deal they will offer me, it amuses these salespeople who think they are red hot salesmen and think what they say will convince me to buy from them, Its the deal that counts i have already made up my mind to buy and the model i want  

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I would suggest we all have different views on what we like or dislike about cab internals. Obviously the designer got approval from above to use his creation.

I for instance do not like gray or black interiors, l like light colours..

The interior looks fine to me in the Toyota and the seat was very comfortable when i sat in one when the new model first came out and the interior finish seems to have improved since then

Anyway whats in fashion now is out of fashion tomorrow

The ranger gives me a sore bum on a long trip, old bones i suppose

1 minute ago, madmax2 said:

The interior looks fine to me in the Toyota and the seat was very comfortable when i sat in one when the new model first came out and the interior finish seems to have improved since then

My 4x4 auto Vigo is now in it's tenth year, the drivers cloth seat is still like new, no sag or out of shape, though the ride has low mileage it has been mainly used for short hops where l have done a zillion getting in and out..:smile:

7 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I did buy Toyota's Walnut dash and armrest kit which gave it a nice feel. Took the guy ages to carve......58e9a42cb7e2b_laughalot.gif.55c1e11ebe708daf9033b1f5a06e5d27.gif

A mate has a 9 yo Toyota hilux and was and was recently offered the same trade in price for it that Ford offered us for the ranger when it was 2.5 years old

So you Ford lovers can stick that in your pipe and smoke it (joking of course) 

We've got that exact model. Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT double cab. Full four doors. It's awesome. Zero trouble now after one year and 18k km. Great power, comfort, style and modern functions. About the only complaint is that the leather is lower quality than we see in the US. Toyota service in Chumpae and Khon Kaen are great, but not cheap. The service area looks like an operating room. I wish I could buy one like it in the US. My Ford F-250 diesel back home is great, but cost almost 50% more. Both are 2016 models. 

1 hour ago, tuktuktuk said:

We've got that exact model. Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT double cab. Full four doors. It's awesome. Zero trouble now after one year and 18k km. Great power, comfort, style and modern functions. About the only complaint is that the leather is lower quality than we see in the US. Toyota service in Chumpae and Khon Kaen are great, but not cheap. The service area looks like an operating room. I wish I could buy one like it in the US. My Ford F-250 diesel back home is great, but cost almost 50% more. Both are 2016 models. 

Can you set the language on the GPS and did you get a English language owners manual with the vehicle

5 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Can you set the language on the GPS and did you get a English language owners manual with the vehicle

Yes, can set language. I'm quite happy with the gps. Only Thai manual. Toyota said no electronic version but could order hard copy. I never did. I downloaded one just the other day. A little different than my model, but close enough. I can find a link if you need it. 

31 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

Yes, can set language. I'm quite happy with the gps. Only Thai manual. Toyota said no electronic version but could order hard copy. I never did. I downloaded one just the other day. A little different than my model, but close enough. I can find a link if you need it. 

Thanks for the replies, i will order a manual when i put a deposit down to secure the vehicle

Spent yesterday visiting 4 Phuket Toyota dealers and will pick up our new vehicle this afternoon

Interesting that i only saw 3 vehicles sold and the sale staff seemed desperate to make a sale

Ourselves another farang/Thai couple and a farang couple, no Thais buying business is slow it seems in Phuket 

5 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Spent yesterday visiting 4 Phuket Toyota dealers and will pick up our new vehicle this afternoon

Interesting that i only saw 3 vehicles sold and the sale staff seemed desperate to make a sale

Ourselves another farang/Thai couple and a farang couple, no Thais buying business is slow it seems in Phuket 

That's cool.....The auto would have been a blast....I can but dream....sad-face.gif.b9168461a5a30566b3d3641376d1bd35.gif

Mine is 6 month's old 2.8 4door pre-runner same interior as top spec 4x 4 have had no problems at all with it a lot of people seem to prefer the Ford Ranger but it is a lot of money for a Mazda  for me it would have some way to go to get better  than the Toyota

6 hours ago, transam said:

That's cool.....The auto would have been a blast....I can but dream....sad-face.gif.b9168461a5a30566b3d3641376d1bd35.gif

Drives great with plenty of power, the only thing i do not like is the smart start system, it turns the engine off after a short period of time when you stop and keep your foot on the break, take your foot off the brake and the engine restarts again, terrible in stop, start traffic, thank goodness you can turn the system off, probably OK on the open road

32 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Drives great with plenty of power, the only thing i do not like is the smart start system, it turns the engine off after a short period of time when you stop and keep your foot on the break, take your foot off the brake and the engine restarts again, terrible in stop, start traffic, thank goodness you can turn the system off, probably OK on the open road

That's a fuel efficiency thing.  I hated it at first.  Now I don't mind.  By the time you lift your foot off the brake and get it to the accelerator the engine is ready to go.

Mine is 6 month's old 2.8 4door pre-runner same interior as top spec 4x 4 have had no problems at all with it a lot of people seem to prefer the Ford Ranger but it is a lot of money for a Mazda  for me it would have some way to go to get better  than the Toyota

It ain't a Mazda nor a patch on the Ranger.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

hilux is nicer inside than my 2012 wildtrack, i prefer the outside look of the hilux to the rangers that is getting outdated now in my opinion, performance a lot better but the ranger was a 2.2 and the hilux is a 2.8

Everything seems to be a better quality in the hilux including the leather used in the interior

Early days yet but we are very happy with the hilux at present

Only one thing concerns me regarding Hilux...

Otherwise it's not bad at all (well, dull interior but it's standard for all Toyotas) and with slightly tuned up engine runs perfect with no turbolag and plenty of juice.  

On 4/11/2017 at 7:13 PM, madmax2 said:

It is also annoying that the default is for the smart start to be enabled on ignition turn on so your always pushing the defeat button on the dashboard after each startup. Maybe trawl some Revo forums to see if there's a way to defeat this in the programming? Through ODB2 program access, I have managed to disable some default annoyances on my Ranger and there's a lot of Everest owners happily enabling stuff that Ford otherwise turns off.

The fairly new Revo I rented was comfy enough and quieter, smoother ride than my 2 year-old Ranger but my tires are almost shot and that can make a whole lot of difference in any vehicles ride quality. I wasn't pleased by the dashboard design and the gauges and indicators probably would have grown on me... but is there any choice in that matter regardless of what one drives?

Next Ranger major makeover is 2020-ish so maybe they will have sorted out some of the issues that arose over the first 2 marques. Your transmission problem isn't as prevalent as the one reported on Fiesta's and Focus's and looking at owners forums in the UK and Australia, there's relatively few repeats or major annoyances. Just a pity you got a dud and the dealership didn't step up to the plate for you. Happy driving in your Revo.

Archived