Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT

madmax2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2017 at 2:17 PM, madmax2 said:

I will have to get a price from Toyota, Looks like its a good rear end collision stopper

Go the whole hog and get something like this. MCC made in Thailand (Ban Bueng, Chonburi) and rated for the Australian market where the bulk of their stuff goes. Cost 13,000 baht installed at their shop, only took a couple of hours. Pretty sure they will be in stock somewhere in Phuket.

58fe0290bbae5_P_20170220_171744(Small).jpg.c0b7be31bfe81b2723f25c07693beb92.jpg

I bit the bullet and had it fitted after being rear-ended twice on consecutive days on morning school runs. The first beat up old Honda slipped underneath the OEM bumper and did minimal damage to me but creased his bonnet pretty good. The sliding Honda PCX the following morning also came off a lot worse. Although the OEM bumper was only slightly scratched up on the underside, I reckoned it was only a matter of time! Having said that, almost 2 years and nobody has come anywhere near my back end since this was fitted.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:30 PM, madmax2 said:

The Toyota owners manual is a lot better than Fords, among other things it has the complete service schedule in it, Ford does not and they could not supply me with a service schedule when i asked them to

Its nice to know what the are doing or not doing and what you are paying for when you put your vehicle in for servicing

Ford have updated their PX (2011-2015) Ranger manual which is an improvement on their first effort but doesn't include the servicing specifics. Ford have a published, itemized and costed service schedule for all their marques on their website. Admittedly, this should be freely available at their service shops (and I have seen them at their Pattaya branch) but as we already agree, the bulk of them seem to be clueless. I downloaded a copy and keep it in the truck so I know what they are supposed to do and how much it will cost. So far, both dealerships I have used (Udon and Pattaya) are good with no rubbish add-ons or short cuts.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ford have updated their PX (2011-2015) Ranger manual which is an improvement on their first effort but doesn't include the servicing specifics. Ford have a published, itemized and costed service schedule for all their marques on their website. Admittedly, this should be freely available at their service shops (and I have seen them at their Pattaya branch) but as we already agree, the bulk of them seem to be clueless. I downloaded a copy and keep it in the truck so I know what they are supposed to do and how much it will cost. So far, both dealerships I have used (Udon and Pattaya) are good with no rubbish add-ons or short cuts.

Ford are changing their warranty and service books all the time,pity they did not have the necessary information in them i he first place

In the 2012 warranty book it says only the windscreen wiper rubbers are not covered by warranty, In a later issue warranty book it states that rubber components like drive belts and hoses are not covered by warranty, when the service manager showed me the new book when replacing a hose i pointed out they were covered in the warranty book i had , so bad luck for ford, he could not give me a answer and took the invoice back from me for the hose and supplied it for free

He also told me they had changed suppliers for this hose 4 times, i told him it should be covered under a faulty parts recall, he agreed and said somehow we had been missed out in the recall, did not stop him trying to charge me for it though 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:26 AM, tuktuktuk said:

We've got that exact model. Hilux revo 4x4 2.8g AT double cab. Full four doors. It's awesome. Zero trouble now after one year and 18k km. Great power, comfort, style and modern functions. About the only complaint is that the leather is lower quality than we see in the US. Toyota service in Chumpae and Khon Kaen are great, but not cheap. The service area looks like an operating room. I wish I could buy one like it in the US. My Ford F-250 diesel back home is great, but cost almost 50% more. Both are 2016 models. 

I may have to eat my words here. Since I made that reply we've had several problems. We let it sit for 6 months while we were home in the US. We had a trusted neighbor drive it a little once a month. When we returned in march everything seemed fine. About a week later I spotted a mouse in the cabin. The mouse and one of his companions later died somewhere in the a/c system. Big stink and about the same time the a/c started to malfunction. Toyota changed a servo motor in the climate control and took the whole interior apart to clean the mess. They also found that the hood (bonnet for some of you) insulation pad was chewed up. Insurance paid for the pad and Toyota paid for the servo motor - they said it had nothing to do with the mice. I'm not convinced. 

Now transmission trouble. Reverse won't engage, power mode is unavailable, auto on/off doesn't function, there's a check engine light and traction control is disabled. Toyota can't figure it out.  I watched them for a while. They brought out three different computers and completely disassembled the interior. 

My wife's cousin in Udon Thani says this is happening a lot. With pressure Toyota has been replacing transmissions. 

It may just be mouse damage. I won't know until later. One more time and it gets traded in. I'll try Ford next. 

11 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

I may have to eat my words here. Since I made that reply we've had several problems. We let it sit for 6 months while we were home in the US. We had a trusted neighbor drive it a little once a month. When we returned in march everything seemed fine. About a week later I spotted a mouse in the cabin. The mouse and one of his companions later died somewhere in the a/c system. Big stink and about the same time the a/c started to malfunction. Toyota changed a servo motor in the climate control and took the whole interior apart to clean the mess. They also found that the hood (bonnet for some of you) insulation pad was chewed up. Insurance paid for the pad and Toyota paid for the servo motor - they said it had nothing to do with the mice. I'm not convinced. 

Now transmission trouble. Reverse won't engage, power mode is unavailable, auto on/off doesn't function, there's a check engine light and traction control is disabled. Toyota can't figure it out.  I watched them for a while. They brought out three different computers and completely disassembled the interior. 

My wife's cousin in Udon Thani says this is happening a lot. With pressure Toyota has been replacing transmissions. 

It may just be mouse damage. I won't know until later. One more time and it gets traded in. I'll try Ford next. 

Your mice could have been on a wire rampage....I not long ago had the same thing in my house, had to cut many holes in the ceiling to rewire loads of stuff....

33 minutes ago, transam said:

Your mice could have been on a wire rampage....I not long ago had the same thing in my house, had to cut many holes in the ceiling to rewire loads of stuff....

In a way I'd rather that be the case. Either way it could prove to be a real nuisance chronic problem. I don't keep cars that need frequent repairs. I haven't had one since an early 80's Plymouth. 

8 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

In a way I'd rather that be the case. Either way it could prove to be a real nuisance chronic problem. I don't keep cars that need frequent repairs. I haven't had one since an early 80's Plymouth. 

Wonder how the meeses got in....

13 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

Rodents of all sorts love to chew up insulation including wire insulation to make a nest, probably a mouse/rat problem if it started after you found them in your vehicle making a nest in the arcon ducting, very hard to locate as it could be anywhere in the wiring harness, probably got in thru the front air vent, that's why i keep ours permanently on recycled air so nothing can get into the vehicle when parked thru this vent

We had a problem in our house with a rodent half way in size between a mouse and a rat that liked to hop when moving around set up residence, chewing holes everywhere including the lounge furniture

Took ages to find where they were getting into the house and block the hole and find their nest which was in my explorer socks i brought from Australia

That's the problem with modern vehicles, all electronics controlled by a computer which is only fixable by another computer finding the problem

The flap controlling outside air or recirculating air in my ride is just behind the dash, which means any rascal can get in through the outside air intake they still can. I thought the air intake was screened so stuff can't get in unless they were extremely small.

21 minutes ago, transam said:

The flap controlling outside air or recirculating air in my ride is just behind the dash, which means any rascal can get in through the outside air intake they still can. I thought the air intake was screened so stuff can't get in unless they were extremely small.

I do not know, but i new someone who had a snake behind their dash and he thought it got in thru the fresh air intake, how else would it have got in, he did not open the door for it that's for sure

4 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I do not know, but i new someone who had a snake behind their dash and he thought it got in thru the fresh air intake, how else would it have got in, he did not open the door for it that's for sure

What ride...?

14 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

This was about 10 years ago and it was a Isuzu i think but the truck was a few years old at the time

I have had rats chew wiring under the Vigo hood, if they could have got in the ride they would have for sure...

On 4/25/2017 at 10:03 PM, tuktuktuk said:

Problem solved. Got it back and everything is normal again.  Toyota said there was evidence of water in electrical connections in and around the fuse box.  I know the root cause too.  When we were trying to clean the dead mouse smell out my wife had our son-in-law wash the car and pressure wash the engine compartment. I saw him with the pressure wand just as he pulled the trigger and starting spraying it toward the engine.  I stopped him immediately.  He may have only sprayed it for five second (probably in the fuse box/battery area).  At the time I was concerned.  I looked around and couldn't see anything obvious.  It started up and ran just fine for about three weeks, so I figured no harm done.

Of course, I can't speak Thai so my wife handled all the discussions with Toyota.  I don't think she told them about the inadvisable pressure washing.  Hopefully the mouse episode has now run it's course.  It's just one of those aw-shits that makes you forever uneasy about vehicle reliability.  The whole thing cost us 500 baht.  The whole service department seemed to have suspended all other work to take care of ours.  When we picked it up today at least 10 guys came out to explain what they did.  They asked her to please give them 10's when the survey people call tomorrow and she will.

1 minute ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

All used car sales steam clean the engine bay, as do I, never a problem, have done it for over 45 years on hundreds of cars/trucks/vans/lorries, in fact all lorries have to be steam cleaned before their HGV MOT.

I think that's probably safer than a pressure washer.

Steam cleaning is high pressure steam, High pressure washer is water sprayed at high pressure

Steam cleaning does not leave the engine dripping wet, high pressure water cleaning does

Most industrial cleaning is done with a steam cleaner, or should i say was in my days

12 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Steam cleaning is high pressure steam, High pressure washer is water sprayed at high pressure

Steam cleaning does not leave the engine dripping wet, high pressure water cleaning does

Most industrial cleaning is done with a steam cleaner, or should i say was in my days

True, but it is all water....Cleaned out engine blocks with steam, still had to take care of the water...

I had a steam cleaner in the 1960's, used it for cleaning all types of machinery and vehicles, when operated properly at high temperature there was never any water residue and if left for 15 minutes after finishing the job there was never a problem starting a engine only had to wipe dry the inside of a distributor cap on the odd occasion due to condensation of steam vapor inside it   

Use high pressure water cleaners now and can have a problem with water getting into electrical components, usually a squirt of CRC fixes the problem most of the time, but not always, but blowing with high pressure air fixes it most times 

I don't know.  I've never owned a steam cleaner and reliable sources have told me not to point the pressure washer at the engine.  I've seen cars that had the paint damaged by a pressure washer.  Hey, but the truck still seems fine after a day of heavy use.  I still love my Toyota Revo.

On 4/28/2017 at 8:34 PM, tuktuktuk said:

I don't know.  I've never owned a steam cleaner and reliable sources have told me not to point the pressure washer at the engine.  I've seen cars that had the paint damaged by a pressure washer.  Hey, but the truck still seems fine after a day of heavy use.  I still love my Toyota Revo.

He tuktuktuk Glad to hear truck is back in action.

One thing about leaving anything sit here in Thailand, Some creature will take up residency. As many posted Mice are brutal destroyers of wiring, insulation and vent ducts. Snakes love engine compartments. I met a guy who's Isuzu had a huge Banded Hornets nest in the wheel well and he was only gone for 3.5 months. Best advice when leaving your vehicle here is have someone start it, run the AC, move it around open the windows. Even if only once a week or so. Its good for the rubber seals everywhere because if they sit here they vulcanize quickly and become brittle and you will have a host of issues later. Same with the serpentine belt. If it sits it will crack.  

As for "Steam cleaning" Vs "Pressure washing". You can use both, HOWEVER if you want to use a "Pressure Washer" its highly advisable to cover up electronic parts with a bag. Pressure washers are not advisable in most cases. They tend to push water into areas where the component was not designed to see 1800 to 3000 psi of water hit it. Steam cleaning is the best way as the pressure is not as high and the water volume is much lower plus its heated and evaporates quickly.  Honestly steam cleaning is far more effective. If you go to any detail shop you will see them cover many areas to be safe no matter which method.  In this day and age all vehicles come standard now with "WeatherLoc" connectors as they are designed for a splash of water and a bit of submersion but not high pressure. 

Also, watch the guys at the car wash. Some tend to pressure wash every thing at max pressure, paint included. If not managed right they can cut through paint in no time and dull the finish, also they can cut through rubber of CV boots and shocks or blast the undercoating paint right off(I have seen that happen). This is why I wash my own stuff and wax by hand. On some occasions I found a few places that use Low pressure steam washers. You might have to pay 220 to 250 baht for a wash but lot better than 150 and paint burned...:smile:

The current model hilux (2017) passes the moose test (U tube)

Not quite as good as Ford Ranger which has a wider wheelbase and is heavier, which makes it more stable

Still looking for a Moose i can try it on in Thailand:smile:

The current model hilux (2017) passes the moose test (U tube)
Not quite as good as Ford Ranger which has a wider wheelbase and is heavier, which makes it more stable
Still looking for a Moose i can try it on in Thailand[emoji2]

They're called idiots on motocys here.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Archived