A million baht dowry and a hundred foreign guests as gay British tour boss ties the knot with Thai man

webfact

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Well, thank you for those kind words but I really don't understand what your problem is. My paying a dowry is a problem for you? How? What inconvenience does it impose upon you whom I have never met?

I could not care less about how u spend your money only just hope others have more common sense than u.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Minnie the Minx said:

What type of dinosaur?

Beady eyes flying one or a vegetarian type? 

Do read up. 

I'm all for gay marriage. Keep it real though.

You could have just admitted you misspoke earlier in one of your replies. It was that simple.

I strongly suggest you stop with personal remarks.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

7 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Totally agree with you, it is difficult to find words that can be used on the forum to describe such 'rubbish' , gay or not there is no need for this kind of comment. Should be banned from posting any further items.

Thanks for the support. I am pleased to note that the original comment has now been removed.

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I strongly suggest you stop with personal remarks.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Thanks for the support. It gets a bit silly I may be in my forties but not yet a dinosaur, sorry for my comments.

29 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well either u are trolling or a dumbass..

Perhaps it is you who are trolling or the dumbass.

32 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

If it's not a problem for me, why should it be a problem for you?

If mfd101 doesn't have a problem and it is his business why on earth would you have a problem?

Live and let live.

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I could not care less about how u spend your money only just hope others have more common sense than u.

If you don't care how his is spending HIS money and not yours, why are you bothering to comment?

6 hours ago, chilli42 said:

It certainly has a lot of serious competition for the title of "Most Ill-informed".  Maybe it has a better shot in the next category "The Most Ill-intentioned"

Actually, I thought that I was being rather restrained with my original comment, but it would appear that the 25 'like this' hits that have come in suggest that I was right on the button! Thanks for the support guys.

Anyway, I am pleased to note that the original offensive comment has now been removed.

Why I don`t agree with the highlighting of this story in the media is because this will give many Thais the impression that all Farlangs are rich and will make their financial expectations even higher for us. I love you, will you many me? Sure; how much you pay me and my family? It rather turns the ceremony of marriage into a business proposal. I have been a guest at many Thai marriages in my local area and not at any of them were there dowries involved. Many of my Farlang friends married Thai girls and again, no dowries involved.

Anyone who is willing to pay $29000 plus for someone`s hand in marriage must be either stupid or desperate.

I worry that this dowry sets the bar high for everyone.  It seems unnecessary in this case as the bride is a he.  I mean don't start some crazy new tradition.  I think making dowry numbers public's just stinks of pretentious BS.   I know so many Thai women compare and are outspoken about what their farang bf does for them etc.   I hate to see this perversion of love expand in Any way.     I do wish them many happy years.  I accept this but don't want to think much more about this type of relationship . 

20 minutes ago, Elkski said:

I worry that this dowry sets the bar high for everyone.  It seems unnecessary in this case as the bride is a he.  I mean don't start some crazy new tradition.  I think making dowry numbers public's just stinks of pretentious BS.   I know so many Thai women compare and are outspoken about what their farang bf does for them etc.   I hate to see this perversion of love expand in Any way.     I do wish them many happy years.  I accept this but don't want to think much more about this type of relationship . 

Thats not setting the bar high.

When TV personality and Model Chompu married hers was 108 mil. the other end of the scale.

Its all about show ! Thats just a fact of life here.

What a "couple" decide to do is their business really.Each to his own. Personal decision.

13 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Why I don`t agree with the highlighting of this story in the media is because this will give many Thais the impression that all Farlangs are rich and will make their financial expectations even higher for us. I love you, will you many me? Sure; how much you pay me and my family? It rather turns the ceremony of marriage into a business proposal. I have been a guest at many Thai marriages in my local area and not at any of them were there dowries involved. Many of my Farlang friends married Thai girls and again, no dowries involved.

Anyone who is willing to pay $29000 plus for someone`s hand in marriage must be either stupid or desperate.

I completely disagree with the dowry system. In my view it is tantamount to 'buying a bride'. But it is all part of the way that it 'goes around and comes around' in this money obsessed country. A whole lot of 'Face' is involved here.

I understand that Buddhists do not follow the concept of a God, but I'm sure that if they did, they would call him Lord Baht. (And his icon would be a smart phone)

No different than Japanese men giving BGs more in departure fees than westerners. It drives up prices and sets precedent....

it just reinforces the notion of rich farang and poor Thai individual so give money money money....should that be the definition of what a relationship is between west and east in LOS?

would like to see stats between staying married for dowry size...

44 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you don't care how his is spending HIS money and not yours, why are you bothering to comment?

Well he brags online about it here but as always there is no actual prove that he has really spend 1,600,000 bht for his mil sin sod.I hope that his marriage stays good??

45 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If it's used as it is supposed to be: for the future of the B&G then I see it as a good thing if it goes towards a house etc. If it's for the FIL to pocket then they can swing there hook. 

1 hour ago, Minnie the Minx said:

Thanks for the support. It gets a bit silly I may be in my forties but not yet a dinosaur, sorry for my comments.

The comment about being a dinosaur had nothing to do with physical age. It was said figuratively in regards to people that have an outdated look on things. I can assure you it had nothing to do with your age. 

12 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

This is easy as usually one is a giver and the other is a taker. In this case I would say the old farang is the giver and the younger Thai man is the taker.

Seriously guy your on a planet of your own. I expect a 15 year old to rock up with comments like that. What you do toss a coin first? 

12 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nice story, but the 1 mill dowry makes me feel uneasy.  Was it handed back after the wedding?  Good luck to them, the world needs more gays.

For their kids to pay for your retirement? LOL

16 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

If it's used as it is supposed to be: for the future of the B&G then I see it as a good thing if it goes towards a house etc. If it's for the FIL to pocket then they can swing there hook. 

I thought in this day and age romantic relationships suppose to be about equality? In some western countries women have been fighting for equality for years. I interpret the meaning of equality as being 50/50, or as we used to say in England; going Dutch, both partners contribute equally. 

Isn`t this a message by the partner being bought, that this partner is more valuable then the one who coughs up the money upfront? It`s like walking into a pub, approaching a bunch of guys sitting at a table and saying; hey guys, if you`ll all be my friends; I`ll buy the rounds of drinks all night.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

It is a meaningless amount for the guy who gave it. I set up weddings in Hawaii for Japanese that cost more just to rent the venue. Maybe wasteful to you but financial pin prick for others.

'Pin'? 'Prick'? What are you talking about? 

21 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I thought in this day and age romantic relationships suppose to be about equality? In some western countries women have been fighting for equality for years. I interpret the meaning of equality as being 50/50, or as we used to say in England; going Dutch, both partners contribute equally. 

Isn`t this a message by the partner being bought, that this partner is more valuable then the one who coughs up the money upfront? It`s like walking into a pub, approaching a bunch of guys sitting at a table and saying; hey guys, if you`ll all be my friends; I`ll buy the rounds of drinks all night.

So you go/went out looking for women/men to suit you based on how much they earn as a contributing factor to the romance and shared splits etc. So if a woman could not pay her way as much as you felt she should you could end the relationship. Honestly, do you think deep down your just a bit selfish?

Paying homage to a pre farang tradition and getting the cash back is all good but not recognising the values your partner brings to a team besides a monetary value is not. 

16 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

pin prick. meaning it is of no consequence. 

Your logic does not equate. A wedding is a service, not buying the bride or groom. In my opinion it`s a sad state of affairs when a person has to pay someone to be their partner or friend. It goes against the whole concept of what marriage suppose to be about. although the guy has paid a lot of money, it still cheapens the whole deal of  equality and love.

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Your logic does not equate. A wedding is a service, not buying the bride or groom. In my opinion it`s a sad state of affairs when a person has to pay someone to be their partner or friend. It goes against the whole concept of what marriage suppose to be about. although the guy has paid a lot of money, it still cheapens the whole deal of  equality and love.

Well you aren't likely to be happy in Thailand if that is the case.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Well you aren't likely to be happy in Thailand if that is the case.

I am very happy in Thailand thank you. To answer Rc2702 and your question, if I am in love with a person, then I`ll do anything and everything for that person, but I`m not a mug, I`ll give it my heart, body and soul but not under those kind of provisos as in the OP, when a partner become like a product with a price tag.

Archived