Drivers urged to install dashboard cameras

webfact

Drivers urged to install dashboard cameras

BANGKOK, 12 April 2017 (NNT) - Insurance companies are set to lower their premiums by 5-10% for cars with dashboard cameras, in an effort to promote road safety. 

Secretary-General of the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) Suthipol Taweechaikarn urged all sectors to do their best to lower road accidents, which tend to rise significantly during the Songkran holiday. 

The OIC also encouraged people to install dashboard cameras via an insurance premium-reduction scheme. A maximum 10% discount on car insurance premiums will be offered to any car owner with a dashboard camera. 

Conversely, insurance companies will not issue compensation to drunk drivers, and will only compensate other victims of the insured accident. The rule applies to those found to have blood alcohol levels higher than 50 milligrams. 

Driving under the influence is the primary cause of road accidents in Thailand. In the past, the majority of insurance claims made during the Songkran period were in Bangkok, followed by Nakhon Ratchasima and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-12

2 hours ago, PeVee1st said:

First, how about offering a no claim bonus deduction.

Errr- I get one and have done for a number of years, they even carried it over when I changed vehicles.

Edited by Psimbo

I love my dash cam , I have recorded a lot of close incidents, it's always a bike getting too close. But if something do happens in the future I feel safer with a video to show the insurance company .  

everyone should install dashcam rearview cams. Can I propose to Thaivisa.com to set up a forum where we can share our dashcam videos? or there is already?

I am sure there will be good stories and  garner lots of views.

I for 1 got videos of accidents, bike racings, and near misses to share from my dashcam

4 minutes ago, chopin2 said:

And how does dash cams promote road safety? Better put Ignition interlock devices in all vehicles in the land of drunk driving.

Yes there is drunk driving and drug abuse, the same is true of any country. What makes you morally superior? Have you never been to another country?

Dash cams, speed detectors do not promote road safety. They provide insurance companies further reasons not to pay out to idiots. But dash cams can show that the idiot may not be you.

also the software that records the vehicles own driving records.showing how long and fast it went and when,like i had it already a long time ago in a big truck,mandatory at the time..i remember car companies suggested that as the onboard electronics already does all this but is not later accessible or recorded . the likes of triple a and adac in germany for example  fought this really quick and hard  to protect the rights of (speeding )individuals.

What would be the suggested protocol in the event of an accident not your fault but captured on dashcam. Point out to everyone including police that you have recorded the incident to prevent lies and false witnesses,or let everyone make up their bullshit which you can later prove to be such.Say or reveal nothing until the insurance company arrives,having perhaps concealed and safeguarded your camera/SD card and reveal your trump card to them? I would be concerned a corrupt policeman would demand the camera(could I refuse?) to conceal the evidence,although I could quietly remove the SD card before. 

12 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

... Dash cams, speed detectors do not promote road safety. ...

Meanwhile, in the UK, speed cameras to catch drivers breaking the speed limit are derided for not improving road safety but are simply cash cows for revenue-strapped local councils. My thinking is ANY device or system that makes a driver aware that he/she may be breaking the speed limit and slows down is good and if he/she is actually breaking the speed limit and is caught and fined, then that's a bonus.

46 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

What would be the suggested protocol in the event of an accident not your fault but captured on dashcam. Point out to everyone including police that you have recorded the incident to prevent lies and false witnesses,or let everyone make up their bullshit which you can later prove to be such.Say or reveal nothing until the insurance company arrives,having perhaps concealed and safeguarded your camera/SD card and reveal your trump card to them? I would be concerned a corrupt policeman would demand the camera(could I refuse?) to conceal the evidence,although I could quietly remove the SD card before. 

Upload the video to a cloud account ASAP to protect it, then upload it to youtube, publish on N internet forums and facebook and only then call the insurance agent. Remember to keep recording with your phone the entire time. And book a flight out of the country while at that.

23 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

A move in the right direction. Now the companies should revisit their premium calculations, taking account of many more factors than they currently do and hitting those who cause accidents  hard, whilst discounting the safe drivers. 

Until I sell my house in Aus, I cannot afford a car. But we have 5 bikes (1 bike, 4 scoots) ranging from 110 cc to 150 cc. All Hondas except for the ever reliable Yamaha. I drive scoots every day, now not sure if I want to buy a car. I don't have an answer for traffic cycle deaths in Thailand. Most countries in the world would wish they had a formula to stop young males from doing risk taking. It is not going to happen but rant on about it only happening in Thailand  

On 4/12/2017 at 5:50 AM, Lemonltr said:

A law should be passed demanding that dash cams must be factory fitted as standard  on all new vehicles purchased. No use relying on people to fit them.

Yeah more laws are needed. Want more laws move home.

On 4/12/2017 at 5:50 AM, Lemonltr said:

A law should be passed demanding that dash cams must be factory fitted as standard  on all new vehicles purchased. No use relying on people to fit them.

So a law is needed for everything. That fixes everything 

The other day I saw one of those Google Street Mapping vehicles; perfect solution as it covers accidents, the BiB with their sticky gloves, Somchai who tries to shaft you from behind, trains from the side and people falling off their balconies etc. 58f1794fa0f1d_GoogleStreetMappingCar.jpg.19d190bd4a80fa7aa33ad29c79712d66.jpg

It also prevents little shopping or chilling excursions into car parking buildings as their ceiling heights ...... OK, OK, we shall not go there ..........