Really had enough of Win 10.

giddyup

I had XP and then Win 7 for years without any problems. Win 10 was already installed on the new Lenovo I bought 6 months ago, and it's been nothing but trouble. The main thing I use it for is to keep in touch with people via email and now that's a problem, because I can't attach anything. Other than that, movie and TV downloads and that's about it. If I could go back to Win 7 I would.

Edited by giddyup

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As I recall you are quite knowledgeable on these things (much more so than I anyway) but can't you re-install W7 or get a download off the net??

Knowledgeable? I'm just a novice.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Knowledgeable? I'm just a novice.

Oh well, same same here, although hopefully someone on TV will help out............several folk here have assisted me in computer related matters.

Good luck.

OP, it appears your problems are not so much with windows 10 but the built in mail program. You can download and run windows live mail for use with windows 10. Win 7 didn't have a built in mail program but Windows live mail is the program you most likely used in windows 7.

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-live-mail-for-windows-10/

On 4/14/2017 at 4:44 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, it appears your problems are not so much with windows 10 but the built in mail program. You can download and run windows live mail for use with windows 10. Win 7 didn't have a built in mail program but Windows live mail is the program you most likely used in windows 7.

http://www.intowindows.com/download-windows-live-mail-for-windows-10/

And you can use Classic Shell that makes W 10 look like W 7.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3067296/windows/how-to-get-windows-7s-start-menu-in-windows-10.html

On 4/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, steve187 said:

go to https://ninite.com/ and put classic start on, the interface is then the same as windows 7 and 8, what are you trying to attach and to what email client

How's W 7 and W 8's start menu similar? I  really dislikehate what W 8 start menu looks like. 

Edited by ajarngreg

On 4/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, giddyup said:

If I could go back to Win 7 I would.

You can have pirate copies  installed for a few hundred baht in Thailand or buy genuine copies from places like ebay for cheap. Also, Linux 18 is an easy transition from Win 7 without the headaches of Win 10 and it's free.

Win10's a waste of time for what you get in return for your efforts.

On 4/14/2017 at 6:29 PM, giddyup said:

Photos/files to Gmail.

AFAIK, gmails interface in W10 is the same as it ever was. Does gmail have problems finding where the OP's attachments are or is W10 saving them in places that the OP can't find?

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, gmails interface in W10 is the same as it ever was. Does gmail have problems finding where the OP's attachments are or is W10 saving them in places that the OP can't find?

Or is this another thread seeking help for the same issue because the other thread started only 4 hours earlier hasn't come up with a solution yet?

Just now, NanLaew said:

Or is this another thread seeking help for the same issue because the other thread started only 4 hours earlier hasn't come up with a solution yet?

No, this thread was just a rant.

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, this thread was just a rant.

I know how that goes. This issue possibly started after a Windows update (not upgrade) where the default setting in the Windows updater is for it to do download and install them automatically. Then suddenly something stops working or hangs up. This won't sort the issue out but can the W10 updates be changed to allow the user to be notified when updates are available but he can chose if/when to install them? These are user options in W7. At least this gives you a time stamp reference for when problems appear and takes whole lot of the wild geese out of the wild goose chase!

On the other thread, Teamviewer was suggested as a way to getting 'over the air' support from someone who is savvy in the idiosyncrasies of W10 and can hopefully solve your problem. It would be my first choice over taking it anything than a proven, trusted local computer shop where some are known to steal any licensed versions of any software you have and/or replace them with shonky, cracked stuff or install software that's riddled with spyware.

Edited by NanLaew

Do you know if you have a "genuine" W10 in your machine. ?

All my security is now done by 10Bit free..They have many additional programs that are good.

One is Advance system care. It gets rid a junk and scans stuff not right, it found and downloaded a missing W10 update, took well over an hour to install..Also their Driver booster, it fixes and monitors all your drivers and updates..

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I know how that goes. This issue probably started after a Windows update (not upgrade) where the default setting in the Windows updater is for it to do download and install them automatically. Then suddenly something stops working or hangs up. This won't sort the issue out but can the W10 updates be changed to allow the user to be notified when updates are available but he can chose if/when to install them? At least this gives you a time stamp reference for when problems appear and takes whole lot of the wild geese out of the wild goose chase!

On the other thread, Teamviewer was suggested as a way to getting 'over the air' support from someone who is savvy in the idiosyncrasies of W10 and can hopefully solve your problem. It would be my first choice over taking it anything than a proven, trusted local computer shop where some are known to steal any licensed versions of any software you have and/or replace them with shonky, cracked stuff or install software that's riddled with spyware.

The last guy who didn't listen to my advice not to go to that shop got his notebook back with a very fishy W 8 copy on it. The Chinese Super browser, a weird Chinese AV system that's nothing else than a virus itself and the shop took his genuine W 10 key. 

They even installed a 32 version on it, but it was a 64 bit machine, a Toshiba. 

Everything was in Thai, including MS office 2010 and the guy needs these programs daily. 

After the first update, ( it seems that they forgot to switch them off), the notebook showed the not genuine message.

Before he had 2 x 4 GB DDR 3 Ram, but when he got it back they'd replaced one memory card with a 1 GB one. Plus 450 baht service charge.

Stuff in Chinese popped up  everywhere and after a week the thingy was done. It didn't start up anymore.

That's how I received it. A completely new set up of W 10 Pro, after formatting his HD, with a spare key I had then finally made it happen and it's now a great and fast notebook. 

3 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

The last guy who didn't listen to my advice not to go to that shop got his notebook back with a very fishy W 8 copy on it. The Chinese Super browser, a weird Chinese AV system that's nothing else than a virus itself and the shop took his genuine W 10 key. 

They even installed a 32 version on it, but it was a 64 bit machine, a Toshiba. 

Everything was in Thai, including MS office 2010 and the guy needs these programs daily. 

After the first update, ( it seems that they forgot to switch them off), the notebook showed the not genuine message.

Before he had 2 x 4 GB DDR 3 Ram, but when he got it back they'd replaced one memory card with a 1 GB one. Plus 450 baht service charge.

Stuff in Chinese popped up  everywhere and after a week the thingy was done. It didn't start up anymore.

That's how I received it. A completely new set up of W 10 Pro, after formatting his HD, with a spare key I had then finally made it happen and it's now a great and fast notebook. 

More importantly, how good are you with Teamviewer?

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you know if you have a "genuine" W10 in your machine. ?

All my security is now done by 10Bit free..They have many additional programs that are good.

One is Advance system care. It gets rid a junk and scans stuff not right, it found and downloaded a missing W10 update, took well over an hour to install..Also their Driver booster, it fixes and monitors all your drivers and updates..

Mate, wasn't the Advanced System Care Ultimate something I had with me a while ago? 

It does pretty much all tasks and has also an AV system. But I prefer Kaspersky and found out that it's a great combination.

Did you get the 1703 upgrade offer yet?

4 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Mate, wasn't the Advanced System Care Ultimate something I had with me a while ago? 

It does pretty much all tasks and has also an AV system. But I prefer Kaspersky and found out that it's a great combination.

Did you get the 1703 upgrade offer yet?

I downloaded all the 10Bit programs, after the initial 10Bit they sent messages to download other free stuff, very impressed with it. No idea what version W10 I have but system care downloaded a huge W10 file a couple of days ago...

Everything is working perfectly, attachments on anything...no ptobs at all..

Edited by transam

IObit's paid software offerings don't get a great review in the industry press. I would reckon their free products are at the least similarly challenged.

Freeware that tells you if you are missing o/s updates that doesn't change or add things in your system is Belarc Advisor. When it flags a missing Windows update, the links it posts take you directly to MS sites.

If one is serious about paying for only one security utility, make it malwarebytes paid.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

IObit's paid software offerings don't get a great review in the industry press. I would reckon their free products are at the least similarly challenged.

Freeware that tells you if you are missing o/s updates that doesn't change or add things in your system is Belarc Advisor. When it flags a missing Windows update, the links it posts take you directly to MS sites.

If one is serious about paying for only one security utility, make it malwarebytes paid.

I had MB paid before.....Now and again I do an online scan using another program, finds nothing...My PC is a happy bunny....As I am....:stoner:

I don't believe everything I read in the press..

OP, when I did have mega problems via a shop I did a complete reinstall of W10 using the tool that is in the W10 programs, there are two options, one that wipes the whole thing or saves your records, that's the one l used, took hours to do it's thing and removes many if not all programs which l had to download again, took a day but has been perfect ever since..

The OP has said that he is just a novice and that he would go back to Windows 7 if he could, so maybe I'm being a little bit too simplistic (being somewhat of a novice myself) so why not just install Windows 7 again?

Maybe the installation disk came with his computer last time and it's lurking around somewhere, or even buy one from the Internet because I've seen them available, this when I tried to install Windows 10 on many occasions, with no success, and I thought I might have to do this, especially when the whole computer seemed to go haywire.

20 minutes ago, transam said:

I downloaded all the 10Bit programs, after the initial 10Bit they sent messages to download other free stuff, very impressed with it. No idea what version W10 I have but system care downloaded a huge W10 file a couple of days ago...

Everything is working perfectly, attachments on anything...no ptobs at all..

It seems that you're running W 10 Pro and just installed an update. No idea if the free version offers what my paid one does. 

Go to your Advanced System care Toolbox and click on "System information'. Then you know a lot about your machine. 

Or just click settings then "About".

I'm perfectly happy with the Aoemi Advanced System Care Ultimate and it works perfect for me. 

CNET, or better users gave a pretty good vote for it. http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Ultimate/3000-2239_4-75738707.html

Trans, I'm afraid that you can't do the really cool tasks with the free version.

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The OP has said that he is just a novice and that he would go back to Windows 7 if he could, so maybe I'm being a little bit too simplistic (being somewhat of a novice myself) so why not just install Windows 7 again?

Maybe the installation disk came with his computer last time and it's lurking around somewhere, or even buy one from the Internet because I've seen them available, this when I tried to install Windows 10 on many occasions, with no success, and I thought I might have to do this, especially when the whole computer seemed to go haywire.

Wouldn't it be the best option for the OP to force the 1703 update, which is also an upgrade? There are three ways to update now. 

1.Please look under your update icon and you'll find a message that enables you to go for it. 

2. Go to this website, use a Media Creation tool.

3. Or just update your machine from the same page here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It will do a completely new install with several restarts. Be aware that it can take 2 hours. I've upgraded five PC's and notebooks now and all work fine. 

17 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

CNET, or better users gave a pretty good vote for it.

CNET is a download site that makes money from people downloading products via their platform. It even bundles an invasive, bloatware installer utility for those that are totally clueless.

PCMag (and others) review and compare products on a broader, more qualitative basis.

In the meantime, will any of IObit's utilities fix the OP's email attachment issue?

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

CNET is a download site that makes money from people downloading products via their platform. It even bundles an invasive, bloatware installer utility for those that are totally clueless.

PCMag (and others) review and compare products on a broader, more qualitative basis.

In the meantime, will any of IObit's utilities fix the OP's email attachment issue?

I'm aware of it, but can't say anything negative about the new Ultimate 10 version. 

It's possible that running all the tasks from the paid version would do the fix, but this program was brought in by Trans and I don't think it was meant to fix the issue.

Why not going the easiest way and upgrade to 1703? Here's the link from MS : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BTW, Teamviewr must be the paid version, I've got it on my PC at home and could help out if the OP has got the paid version as well. Please read the details on Teamviewer's page.:

For Personal Support, use the TeamViewer Full Version software. This way, you can help your family and friends set up their computers or solve other questions and problems, anytime, anywhere.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Personal-Computer-Support/ta-p/4795

Just now, ajarngreg said:

I'm aware of it, but can't say anything negative about the new Ultimate 10 version. 

It's possible that running all the tasks from the paid version would do the fix, but this program was brought in by Trans and I don't think it was meant to fix the issue.

Why not going the easiest way and upgrade to 1703? Here's the link from MS : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BTW, Teamviewr must be the paid version, I've got it on my PC at home and could help out if the OP has got the paid version as well. Please read the details on Teamviewer's page.:

For Personal Support, use the TeamViewer Full Version software. This way, you can help your family and friends set up their computers or solve other questions and problems, anytime, anywhere.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Personal-Computer-Support/ta-p/4795

Happy for you guys to talk among yourselves, I'm suffering from information overload and my head hurts!