Really had enough of Win 10.

giddyup

Strange how Apple & Linux devotees love to stalk Windows threads.

I am vaguely aware that there are sub-forums for Linux and Apple here but I have no idea what content is in them because I don't care.

Why do Linux lovers care about Windows? Must be something in that.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I am vaguely aware that there are sub-forums for Linux and Apple here but I have no idea what content is in them because I don't care.

Just curious as to why anyone would put up with all the BS assosiated with it, still can't understand it.  Just scared to try something new I guess, as for "one drive: good luck with that, it just gives MS ALL of your data.....

Good luck I'm out of here!

3 hours ago, thedemon said:

It doesn't have to be one or the other... there are some people who use both Apple and Microsoft products, you know. I'm not a devotee of any product, I just use them. I use Windows the most because I am most familiar with it, but that doesn't mean I rubbish Apple products.

11 hours ago, RigPig said:

Just curious as to why anyone would put up with all the BS assosiated with it, still can't understand it. 

No, any google will tell you why--applications, ease of use, hardware support, familiarity--and you know that. You just wanted to enjoy bashing Windows for some reason.

Windows has its issues, which can mostly be worked around. But then so does Linux and the workarounds are often much harder. How about your writing a device driver for my printer, which isn't supported under Linux? Really, really not supported.

Just scared to try something new I guess

No. Just want to get something done as quickly and as conveniently as possible.

I like much about Linux and was dual booting for a long time despite some Linux issues. I still have it on my netbook and I have it live on some thumbdrives.

But I found, and the many Linux support forums will certainly verify, that you can definitely have crashes and freezes w/ Linux for no reason a mere mortal can ever possibly discover. My Win 7 never crashes or freezes. :)  You may not even be able find an appropriate driver for your hardware to install! And if that's your printer, maybe even one that seemed working with Linux, and you discover the problem the night before your visa extension papers are due, you're gonna be really unhappy. No forced updates, true, but the voluntary ones might brick your PC.

And then there's all the fooling around that Linux seems to need so often. That's one of the common complaints. And always seems there's something you can't do w/out gettin' into the terminal, running some arcane command line, and editing some obscure config file that you'd never find unless you spend an hour or so looking for a post on a linux forum to tell you where it is. And then actually finding it! I mean for uses beyond the very elementary. Installing new software? Windows, no problem. Linux, looks easy but then you find that a necessary dependency is out of date or can't be found and you've wasted more time. No I'm not bothering with any compiling the source code in hopes of getting it running.

Gimp vs Photoshop? No comparison. Kdenlive vs. Sony Vega? You're joking. Kdenlive 16.12.3 Out, Promises to Crash Less Often  This could be a long list. Oh--don't forget about games. Steam you say? Good luck getting up to speed. How's that AMD driver treatin' ya?

I may come back to Linux later on, maybe instead of a forced upgrade to Win 10, but for now I'm just getting more done using Windows.

Edited by JSixpack

12 hours ago, RigPig said:

Just curious as to why anyone would put up with all the BS assosiated with it, still can't understand it.  Just scared to try something new I guess, as for "one drive: good luck with that, it just gives MS ALL of your data.....

Must be a good thing that you're out. BTW, it's not one drive that gives the most information. Cortana is the one that leaks most. 

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No, any google will tell you why--applications, ease of use, hardware support, familiarity--and you know that. You just wanted to enjoy bashing Windows for some reason.

Windows has its issues, which can mostly be worked around. But then so does Linux and the workarounds are often much harder. How about your writing a device driver for my printer, which isn't supported under Linux? Really, really not supported.

No. Just want to get something done as quickly and as conveniently as possible.

I like much about Linux and was dual booting for a long time despite some Linux issues. I still have it on my netbook and I have it live on some thumbdrives.

But I found, and the many Linux support forums will certainly verify, that you can definitely have crashes and freezes w/ Linux for no reason a mere mortal can ever possibly discover. My Win 7 never crashes or freezes. :)  You may not even be able find an appropriate driver for your hardware to install! And if that's your printer, maybe even one that seemed working with Linux, and you discover the problem the night before your visa extension papers are due, you're gonna be really unhappy. No forced updates, true, but the voluntary ones might brick your PC.

And then there's all the fooling around that Linux seems to need so often. That's one of the common complaints. And always seems there's something you can't do w/out gettin' into the terminal, running some arcane command line, and editing some obscure config file that you'd never find unless you spend an hour or so looking for a post on a linux forum to tell you where it is. And then actually finding it! I mean for uses beyond the very elementary. Installing new software? Windows, no problem. Linux, looks easy but then you find that a necessary dependency is out of date or can't be found and you've wasted more time. No I'm not bothering with any compiling the source code in hopes of getting it running.

Gimp vs Photoshop? No comparison. Kdenlive vs. Sony Vega? You're joking. Kdenlive 16.12.3 Out, Promises to Crash Less Often  This could be a long list. Oh--don't forget about games. Steam you say? Good luck getting up to speed. How's that AMD driver treatin' ya?

I may come back to Linux later on, maybe instead of a forced upgrade to Win 10, but for now I'm just getting more done using Windows.

You hit the nail on the head. Most people just want to get on the computer and do stuff. They don't want to spend hours and days "looking under the hood". Despite the complaints about Windows, you can get the most done, easily done, most of the time. You can easily install most anything, try it out, then get rid of it again if not required. It's deleted programs that cause most of the clutter. That's why I like to use special uninstallers, such as IOBit to get rid of junk the standard Windows uninstaller doesn't.

Edited by tropo

40 minutes ago, tropo said:

You hit the nail on the head. Most people just want to get on the computer and do stuff. They don't want to spend hours and days "looking under the hood". Despite the complaints about Windows, you can get the most done, easily done, most of the time. You can easily install most anything, try it out, then get rid of it again if not required. It's deleted programs that cause most of the clutter. That's why I like to use special uninstallers, such as IOBit to get rid of junk the standard Windows uninstaller doesn't.

Or "Your Uninstaller", a great product. 

To those who seem to have "problems" with Win 10 - try here for some answers:-

www.tenforums.com   No cost.  

Plenty  of tutorials and people willing to answer questions.

Edited by lvr181
Additional text

On 22/04/2017 at 1:19 AM, RigPig said:

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, in fact you need to sign in to use it, I find it convenient that they store my photographs, but if I was worried about privacy I would disable it... 

The same could be said for letting Google run your phone lol

22 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, in fact you need to sign in to use it, I find it convenient that they store my photographs, but if I was worried about privacy I would disable it... 

The same could be said for letting Google run your phone lol

"The same could be said for letting Google run your phone lol" 

Or Apple or MS!

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Or Facebook or "insert any company here"  :smile:

Actually I believe there is nothing wrong with social media - it is some of the non-thinking idiot users that are the problem!

7 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Or Facebook or "insert any company here"  :smile:

I have three PC repair shops and I'm planning to move to Thailand soon.

When reading through this topic, would it be possible to run a PC/Notebook repair shop, or would I need a work permit to do so?

I am just looking for a business for my wife. She's Thai and very good in fixing software problems.

It would be easy to run it on my wife's name though. But would I technically be allowed to fix computers?  

Edited by Jamesinlos

13 hours ago, Jamesinlos said:

I have three PC repair shops and I'm planning to move to Thailand soon.

When reading through this topic, would it be possible to run a PC/Notebook repair shop, or would I need a work permit to do so?

I am just looking for a business for my wife. She's Thai and very good in fixing software problems.

It would be easy to run it on my wife's name though. But would I technically be allowed to fix computers?  

I suggest you open a thread about that in the "Thai visas, residency and work permits" subforum.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I wonder how people who were running XP or Windows 7 feel now.

why ? 

everything is very stable, I really have no issues at all

ok rant warning - some will get it some won't

the only thing I would say is that it is a bit more complicated to enforce privacy which I disagree with but the reality is - if you allow  cookies in your security settings then good luck with trying to stay private. I wish I could patent the idea of a cookie movie..............they have done it with smiles emojis :)   how about a cookie movie and BTW it would have to be a horror movie...................can I patent that ?

I said several years ago that you have to make a choice - either be seen or not be seen, if you want to use stuff like facebook then you have to agree to be tracked, I also predicted that the ability to disable cookies would be gone soon .....................said it first here on TVF

I also said a long time ago on here that those in government bodies that are tasked to protect people and their privacy would never ever be able to keep up with the tech advancement or in fact privacy invasion and I was right about that too .................they simply cannot keep up.........they cannot protect you, be careful out there - there is no such a thing as privacy as long as you use the internet and a phone............dump them  both and they have your face, it really is as "bad " as that..........some say no problem and don't care.....I would prefer a choice to opt out..........but now that is really impossible