Songkran death toll now claims 167 lives and 1,795 injuries in three days

Jonathan Fairfield

Songkran death toll now claims 167 lives and 1,795 injuries in three days

1404001.jpg

The Road Safety Centre said traffic accidents during the past three days of the Songkran festival have claimed 167 lives and 1,795 i juries.

It said only in a single day yesterday, the third day after the campaign “7 Dangerous Days” was launched from April 11-17, 79 people were killed, and 752 injured in a total of 748 traffic accidents recorded from roads and highways nationwide.

In total, the centre said altogether 167 people died and 1,795 others were injured during the past three days of the campaign to reduce traffic accidents.

Chiang Mai and Udon Thani topped the most accidents in the past three days of 33 accidents each.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-death-toll-now-claims-167-lives-1795-injuries-three-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-14

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand 68 millions people

France 67 millions people

Thailand three days on the roads = 167 dead people

France all march 2017 = 31 days = 266 dead people and it's a very bad result if we compare with last year .

Don't forget there are so many more cars and trucks and coaches in France than in Thailand ...Find the mistake ...:post-4641-1156693976:

And so the total creeps ever higher. 79 dead in a single day is just horrific.What is wrong with Thai people?

The police, for once, have actually started doing their job, but the Thais have obviously not taken note of the call for safer driving at all!

I would dearly love to know how many of the dead over the last three days were travelling in the back of a pick up truck.

Every single one of those should be on the PM's conscience for backing down on the ban.

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

And so the total creeps ever higher. 79 dead in a single day is just horrific.What is wrong with Thai people?

The police, for once, have actually started doing their job, but the Thais have obviously not taken note of the call for safer driving at all!

I would dearly love to know how many of the dead over the last three days were travelling in the back of a pick up truck.

Every single one of those should be on the PM's conscience for backing down on the ban.

At a guess i would say the overwhelming majority of dead and injured would sadly be youngsters on motorbikes. Just basing that on the 80% ish who died suring songkran last year were in that bracket. 

23 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

France all march 2017 = 31 days = 266 dead people and it's a very bad result if we compare with last year .

Don't forget there are so many more cars and trucks and coaches in France than in Thailand ...Find the mistake ...:post-4641-1156693976:

I would still rather be in among the dangerous Thais than tucked up 'safely' with the French in France. Gawd, what a thought. :whistling:

the fact that there isn't, and never has been, anyone in this country prepared to take responsibility and do something to stop this carnage is simply stunning.

How do you change a culture? Slowly consistently over a longer term. Cannot happen when there are repeated coups and new governments that change Constitutions and basic laws every few years. The country's selfish Elites including Military leaders are responsible for the current status quo.

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Millions of people on motorcycles ?

Edited by Broken Record

http://asirt.org/initiatives/informing-road-users/road-safety-facts/road-crash-statistics

Annual Global Road Crash Statistics

• Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
  •  

167 in 3 days in Thailand leaves 9,694 dead on the roads outside Thailand.

Lots of accidents in lots of countries, luckily countries like UK have few motorcycles compared with countries like Thailand, and a massive percentage of deaths are down to motorcyclists.

But carry on the Thai bashing, the forum needs threads like this.

Edited by Broken Record

9 minutes ago, Broken Record said:

Millions of people on motorcycles.

3,6 millions motorcycles in France in year 2012 ;

http://www.statistiques.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/fileadmin/documents/Produits_editoriaux/Publications/Chiffres_et_statistiques/2013/chiffres-stats400-deux-roues-motorises-au-01012012-mars2013.pdf

Maybe 50 millions in Thailand ...

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Wonder what the families of the dead think about songkran

and do they continue the same behaviour the following year

As they say the lesson is repeated UNTIL it is LEARNED

MAI PEN RAI--YOU NO UNNERSTAAAAAAN THAI PEE--POLE! :wai:

Well I can you one thing, if you ask a sizable proportion of my extended Thai family; 'How many accidents... , how many people killed last year,  up to date this year, etc etc,',  they just don't know and have never thoughts about and they just don't engage in such conversations.

What you'll also hear from some 'but my family has good karma'.

And from more 'but our car is new'.

And from some 'better to drive quickly and get there fast and get off the road'.

And from some 'if I want to drink and drive it's up to me'.

And.....

28 minutes ago, jerojero said:

How do you change a culture? Slowly consistently over a longer term. Cannot happen when there are repeated coups and new governments that change Constitutions and basic laws every few years. The country's selfish Elites including Military leaders are responsible for the current status quo.

And the general tried to get tough on riding in pick-up trucks and many Thais and the media raised hell.

And the general really pushed the police to get serious and up their act, which was mostly ignored.

Which way do you want it?

jerojero the unstable government situation may have something to do with it but, even without that factor, I believe the Thais just can't change. They, certain individuals excepted, are just too narcissistic, have almost no self-criticism and lack general knowledge and education (no wonder since they hardly ever read anything). In short, they are intrinsically incapable of change for the better.

I write this every year: 28 000 road fatalities each year = 78 per day.

So 167 fatalities in three days instead of 224, while bad, is a relief (ha ha... the police will be claiming that their actions were successful).

I write this every year: 28 000 road fatalities each year = 78 per day.
So 167 fatalities in three days instead of 224, while bad, is a relief (ha ha... the police will be claiming that their actions were successful).

Slight correction, 3 days would be average 234 fatalities. But yes, you're right about the police lol

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

anybody who takes over a country at gunpoint,  promotes himself to sole enactor of his own laws has no conscientious.  Probably only a massive oversees bank account.

2 hours ago, Broken Record said:

http://asirt.org/initiatives/informing-road-users/road-safety-facts/road-crash-statistics

• Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  •  

Lots of accidents in lots of countries, luckily countries like UK have few motorcycles compared with countries like Thailand, and a massive percentage of deaths are down to motorcyclists.

It did not take long for the Thai apologist to chime and cry Thai bashing. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Well I can you one thing, if you ask a sizable proportion of my extended Thai family; 'How many accidents... , how many people killed last year,  up to date this year, etc etc,',  they just don't know and have never thoughts about and they just don't engage in such conversations.

And from some 'better to drive quickly and get there fast and get off the road'.

And.....

My brain simply cannot process thai logic and mentality...it really is a enigma in a riddle...:saai:

Then i would ask why is there INSURANCE?...just all wear the buddha amulet......right??????

So if im a bad person-i should just be superbad cos karma is coming for me?....yes????

Seems like there are 1000000 thai excuse to just being a responsible person....selfish fools

As far as the if i want to drink is up to me....tell that to the police or the families of dead????

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

And.....

My wife is quite worldly. She's lived abroad for many years and has a sound understand of health and safety issues.  She's taken a motorcycle riding course and is very careful and safety conscious.

And she is always very mindful of my own safety.

But it only seems apply for us two. For the rest it's always the same answer. 'It's up to them. It's not my/our problem'.

I would point out that her niece takes crazy risks with her daughter in the car. No restraints, standing in the front foot well, just inches from a deadly airbag. But I would get nowhere 'It's up to her'.

Even when I get a bit of a rave on, like I did this morning when I read about that terrible motorcycle accident with the two young boys. It was almost shrugged off by her. 'It's up to them'.

Even though I know my wife quite well now, this attitude still baffles me.

So I understand where your coming from Scorecard.

9 hours ago, olli room said:

Slight correction, 3 days would be average 234 fatalities. But yes, you're right about the police lol

These figures are purely cosmetic, in actual fact it should be the 14 "Dangerous Days" as the exodus from the city starts the weekend before the actual holiday starts and they drift back over the next week after. Figures are measured on deaths at the scene and not inclusive of deaths that follow on the way to hospital or in the period following the "Holiday. The true numbers could prove quite embarrassing if correctly published. One can only wonder at the true numbers.

13 hours ago, Broken Record said:

•  

luckily countries like UK have few motorcycles compared with countries like Thailand

Meaning what?