Being denied entry with marriage visa

15 minutes ago, mvdf said:

I'm struggling to understand why you and others on this forum WONDER why IOs behave in a manner you deem inappropriate! 

I am Asian and when I travel to Schengen countries, the U.S., Australia etc I am occasionally interrogated, my travel history scrutinised, itinerary analysed...

Why is it that you think or expect westerners to be treated preferentially, kowtowed even, just because you come from first world countries? Immigration authorities in this region are entitled to interrogate, analyse, admit or expel, scrutinise all arriving human beings at ports of entry in the same exact manner we Asians are treated when we arrive at your airports!

I am sorry to hear if you have faced abusive behavior in Western nations.  But asking questions is not the same as insulting, accusations of lying, etc.  As I stated elsewhere, I have been questioned - extensively - at a Thai border-checkpoint - but in a Civil and Polite manner.  I have no issue with this.  Being "kowtowed" to, is not the same as Polite and Civil.  I don't demand or expect for anyone kiss my backside.  I do, however, expect a degree of mutual respect between human beings in civilized countries. 

Another factor immigration must consider, is whether the applicant coming from a nation with a lower pay-scale, so might be traveling to obtain illegal-employment.  That is the reason for most questioning of foreigners entering Western nations.  Most Illegal Aliens in the USA (official count) came legally, overstayed their visas, and took jobs working illegally.  Once in the country, they can also make asylum claims, etc - because they get "rights" just for having gotten in.  Such rights do not exist for foreigners in Thailand, so no such incentive exists.

As well, the pay scales here are nothing a Westerner would immigrate to receive.  We all know who 99% of those coming to Thailand to work illegally are from - neighboring nations with low pay-scales - yet they have the easy-visa / border-pass options, virtually no overstay-enforcement, etc.  This is a sick joke.

I have found "sour" to be the common-standard for most Thai immigration personnel - with some notable friendly exceptions, and the "civil" treatment mentioned above. "Sour" is not the attitude desired in personnel who deal with the general public.  Such persons belong in back-offices, if employed by govt at all.

BTW, I would never travel to Australia or the UK, due to how they treat visitors at their airports.  Nor do I intend to return to the USA (my passport-country), for this and other reasons.  It is outright disgusting what US airport-security put people through - including US-citizens and their children - when we all know exactly who the only potential-threats to an airplane or the country really are. 

Show your dissatisfaction with your feet and your money - it's all you can do, really.  That's why I don't use Thai airports any more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dentonian said:

The term Marriage Visa confuses many because there is actually no such Visa.

As the OP stated it was obtained from Lao, then he certainly has a Non Imm O Multi entry Visa based on marriage to a Thai.

Local Immigration offices only issue extensions of stay based on marriage, not Visas.

Your assumption that he therefore has to make 90 day border runs is correct and as already mentioned he is being hassled because Immigration cannot figure how he is supporting himself without working at such a young age.

The thing is being married to a Thai allows you the right to work.

If you have a work permit.

• Like 1

I recall one person at a consulate mumble something along the lines of: ... right visa ...

I also recall a publication from the government a couple years ago indicating they don't mind people staying here long time so long as they do it under the 'right visa'.

I think the move is continuing down the path of obtaining the right visa for the purpose of your stay.

If you are staying 2 years in a village of 600 people I think its fair to say you are not a tourist.... how long does it take to check out the sights in that village? :P

I'm not sure if others are hearing the words '.. right visa...'.  And I do think Thailand does offer enough visa choices for the right purpose for long stay people *aside* from those under 50 who are not working and just want to chelax here for a long period of time and can't afford a Thailand Elite.... but no system is perfect, nor does everyone need to be accommodated. 

But, yeah, seriously, TE Visa... 20 years... 1M THB...  Slip them the cash and enjoy not being hassled for 20 years.  Might be cheaper than unexpected flights half way around the planet :(

"I couldn't produce photos with my wife but it was because I had a new phone because my Chinesse Xiaomi Phone died"

Just like some people understand too late that a dashcam is necessary, some people will understand in 2050 that cloud as dropbox is also necessary.

To help you for the future, if it even happens to you that you have more than 20000 in a bank, try to be a bit smarter and keep in your cloud some documents showing from where come the money. I own a 10mb house and drive 10mb car, but i am always ready to show with my phone the fund transfer document from abroad stamped by the bank.

Poor you all to always understand things when it's too late.

Edited by abab

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The OP had a valid Non O Visa because of marriage to a Thai. Since when is it required to now carry pictures of your spouse to show immigration; also 20K Baht; plus other documentation say the marriage certificate;  KOr Sor 2 updated; your spouse's tambien ban. The fact is that the IO at Don Muang took a dislike to this man and had no real reason to deny entry as the man had the proper visa for his  status- a foreigner married to a Thai. If a similar foreigner with a passport full of entries then got a Non O so he could apply for a marriage visa would he also get denied entry?  One normally needs a Non O to get a valid extension although conversion is possible.

In this particular case, I am siding completely with the OP. He was given short shrift by the IO.  

How does the IO know the visa holder is married. All they see is someone living in Thailand for 3 years using visas rather than an appropriate extension of stay.

If the OP was entering with a single entry non-immigrant visa I would have sympathy, however, if making a second entry with a multi entry visa it is understanble and right that the IO is suspicious that the person can't meet the financial requirements to live in the country and/or is probably working.

• Like 1

I think there is something wrong with this 

You say Don Muang wanted to see photos - there would be obsolutely no reason for them wanting to see photos ( that is for when applying for extension of stay in Thailand (if im correct) 

Then you say you have a marriage Visa ( some people say theres no such thing so maybe its a visa from Lao for visiting wife ) but must have gained entry since your telling this 2 mths later & are planning to go visit family

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

You say Don Muang wanted to see photos - there would be obsolutely no reason for them wanting to see photos ( that is for when applying for extension of stay in Thailand (if im correct) 

Then you say you have a marriage Visa ( some people say theres no such thing so maybe its a visa from Lao for visiting wife ) but must have gained entry since your telling this 2 mths later & are planning to go visit family

Yes you are right and untill your post I didn't realize that I made it unclear. So yeah I was finally let in . The title of the thread was reffering to my visit back to my home country next month and me coming back whether there is a chance I am going to be denied entry? Anyway people are right and in fact I caused the harm to myself by being totally careless with the law etc. (like Thai people being caught when the Police finally stops them for driving without helmet)I would appreciate for the mod to either change the title or even close it because I unconsciously might spread wrong information because yeah I was let in .Anyway  I didn't realize that it is true I am on a wrong visa and having non immigrant doesn't allow me to stay long term and I should get the extension. I mean worst case scenario I will buy the Thai Elite visa because people write about it as a valid option. So yeah will just stay abroad at least 6 months/year from now on and get the marriage extension ASAP.

Thanks for all the info/Thread closed.

Edited by Frank12
  • Like 2

Iam glad the OP was let in- that restores my faith in the system.  If a person is married to a Thai- I have never heard of an individual with a Non Being refused entry.  To get the Non O- the Embassy/Consulate normally requires a marriage certificate signed by spouse as well as copy of ID/Tambien Ban. Absolutely no reason to even question the  OP nor to ever refuse entry.  Now if the Op approached with any other type visa- I would not argue their interrogation was correct. In this case- sorry- over the top and novalid reason for the interogation.

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Iam glad the OP was let in- that restores my faith in the system.  If a person is married to a Thai- I have never heard of an individual with a Non Being refused entry.  To get the Non O- the Embassy/Consulate normally requires a marriage certificate signed by spouse as well as copy of ID/Tambien Ban. Absolutely no reason to even question the  OP nor to ever refuse entry.  Now if the Op approached with any other type visa- I would not argue their interrogation was correct. In this case- sorry- over the top and novalid reason for the interogation.

Yeah I apologize for everyone If I mislead them with my thread title/first post (I am not a native speaker). Yes I was threaten by the officer and they didn't wanted to let me in but the superior officer took the passport and after calling my wife and collecting the info  (was also advised to take copy of my marriage certificate and photos with my wife) I was finally let in. I am sorry if I didn't make it clear in a first post. I wasn't aware about it. So basically I was just worried if after last time there is really a possibility of not being let in at airport rather than speaking from experience as of now.

No reason to apologize- as a non native speaker of English you do quite well. I am glad it worked out for you.  When you do return make sure you have a Non O and carry proof of marriage- although I would doubt you will need it.  I have traveled on a Non O in and out of Thailand for 50 years and never asked for proof or even heard of anyone being asked until this post.  Good luck to you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Yes, them asking for any proof was out of line.  The OP had a marriage visa.  Stamp stamp - thank you - is all that should have happened.  Old visas were irrelevant.  Only a national-security concern should override this. 

2 hours ago, Frank12 said:

I didn't realize that it is true I am on a wrong visa

You are NOT on the "wrong visa" and did nothing wrong.  Some believe you might not get hassled with a 1-year extension of stay vs your multiple-entry visa - though both are based on being married to a Thai - so it should Make No Difference. 

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

How does the IO know the visa holder is married

It appears he had a Non-O Visa based on Marriage.  That is all they should need to see.  Showing "proof" was done to get the visa.  If Immigration has a problem with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (who issue visas at consulates), they can take it up with them - not hassle people who did Absolutely Nothing Wrong At ALL!!

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

You seem to have a multiple entry non-immigrant visa, which is meant/designed for those living outside Thailand that want to make multiple short visits.

No where does is it written - that I have seen - that a Multiple-Entry Non-O based on marriage visa is for "short visits only."  If documentation of such exists, someone please reference it.  The same for anyone who can show a limit on how long per-year a person can visit on Tourist Visas.  Where is it written - English or Thai?

If the OP had a Non-O Multiple Entry Visa - that is the "correct visa," and what happened only shows that foreigners are being treated in an unprofessional manner at airports, even when they have valid visas, and are following Thai law.  This unprofessional mis-behavior - disregarding Thai Laws and regulations and using "gotcha" technicalities to harass people obeying the law - appears to apply to any foreigner, at any time, for any reason they choose to make up on the spot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No where does is it written - that I have seen - that a Multiple-Entry Non-O based on marriage visa is for "short visits only."  If documentation of such exists, someone please reference it.  '

I had my problems this week getting into the country with a long list of TR visas and two of the IOS told me separately that "you should get a visa that allows you to live here, like get married or start a business and then get a visa for either of those". 

Edited by stoicccc

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, them asking for any proof was out of line.  The OP had a marriage visa.  Stamp stamp - thank you - is all that should have happened.  Old visas were irrelevant.  Only a national-security concern should override this. 

You are NOT on the "wrong visa" and did nothing wrong.  Some believe you might not get hassled with a 1-year extension of stay vs your multiple-entry visa - though both are based on being married to a Thai - so it should Make No Difference. 

It appears he had a Non-O Visa based on Marriage.  That is all they should need to see.  Showing "proof" was done to get the visa.  If Immigration has a problem with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (who issue visas at consulates), they can take it up with them - not hassle people who did Absolutely Nothing Wrong At ALL!!

No where does is it written - that I have seen - that a Multiple-Entry Non-O based on marriage visa is for "short visits only."  If documentation of such exists, someone please reference it.  The same for anyone who can show a limit on how long per-year a person can visit on Tourist Visas.  Where is it written - English or Thai?

If the OP had a Non-O Multiple Entry Visa - that is the "correct visa," and what happened only shows that foreigners are being treated in an unprofessional manner at airports, even when they have valid visas, and are following Thai law.  This unprofessional mis-behavior - disregarding Thai Laws and regulations and using "gotcha" technicalities to harass people obeying the law - appears to apply to any foreigner, at any time, for any reason they choose to make up on the spot.

Why is it so hard to understand, that just like any country in the world, Immigration can deny entry as and when they feel the need?
'Suspicion' of working...Your gone. Living here continually on Tourist visas....Your gone (if they choose). There is a whole clutch of things to deny you entry if they choose. What you going to do about it, sit in IDC for weeks and wait for the appeal process after the I/O supervisor backs his I/O?
Not sure if you realise, but being in the country for prostitution services is another reason for denial of entry. Try getting out of that one if they 'Suspect' it. 

17 minutes ago, stoicccc said:

I had my problems this week getting into the country with a long list of TR visas and two of the IOS told me separately that "you should get a visa that allows you to live here, like get married or start a business and then get a visa for either of those". 

A long list of TRs is not the same as a Multiple Entry Non-O - but I get your point on TRs - thank you for the updated info.  Was this at an airport, by chance?  If not, which crossing?  Note that the OP was married, and using a visa based on marriage.

3 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

What you going to do about it, sit in IDC for weeks and wait for the appeal process

They are required to follow the law.  That is not to say they all do (obviously).  The appeal process is 7 days max - not something I am interested in doing to prove a point (even if I know I am right).  As I responded on the other topic, the best choice is to use land-borders, and try another day or another crossing where or when the jerk who doesn't respect legal visas isn't in the way.  Some crossings are still friendly and respect the law.

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A long list of TRs is not the same as a Multiple Entry Non-O - but I get your point on TRs - thank you for the updated info.  Was this at an airport, by chance?  If not, which crossing?  Note that the OP was married, and using a visa based on marriage.

Im the Finnish guy from the other recent thread...my point was just that marriage visa is for living in the country as told to me by the IOs, supporting your comment that they can be used for long term stays

I came into Ranong on a Non O Multi Marriage recently.  I waited on the "Arrivals" line, the IO told me go to the "Departures" line.  I looked confused so he said "Arriving?" I said yes (kind of the reason I was on the Arrivals line).  There was no one in the line before or after me so he had plenty of time for a good long passport read.  1 visa exempt, 2 tourist double entry tv, 1 non-b visa and the current non-o.  He said "married or retired?"  I said "married".   Then started some nonsense about who I was married to and why didn't I go to immigration in Phuket for something or another.  Then he said wait.  And we waited.  And waited. a good 4 minutes of just staring into space.  Then he was about to stamp and stopped.  Then he started reading again.  Then "You had a non-B before".  I said "Yes, expired now since December."  He said "March".  That was the date of the extension not the work permit which cancelled my extension in December.  Then he said "Wait" again.  Then another long 3 minutes while he stared off into the room as if waiting for someone else who never came.  Finally after what seemed like forever he stamped me and let me in.  <deleted> was that about?  I thought going to the Andaman Club would be easy.  Never again.  Flying to KL next 90 days.  Any issue flying to KL and back to Phuket the same day? Please advise. I really would prefer to avoid the proctology exam for no reason.

Edited by ThaiWai

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Any issue flying to KL and back to Phuket the same day?

There should not be. However, immigration at Phuket airport has been known to make some pretty arbitrary decisions. I cannot recall any involving Non O visas, but they are definitely a bit flaky.

18 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It is possible for people around the OPs age to have property he is renting out. Thai immigration are just a bit too heavy handed at hassling younger people at times. I see the need to make sure people are not working illegally, so why not come down on the people who are employing them, schools, factories etc? Brown envelopes spring to mind again.

What you say is exactly right - if you have a rental property (or 2 or 3) in your home country you could easily be earning enough from that to float around Asia.  Some may claim this - and it would be easy to bring a few documents with you to show to Immigration officers, but how many do that.  And while so many whine about the requirement to carry 20,000 baht cash and show to an officer, do we really believe they have a lot of money?  If you have enough money to live the life of Reilly in Thailand, showing 20,000 baht to an Immigration officer is nothing.  It is peanuts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

On the contrary - I hate the harm being done to Thais and foreigners alike, by the persecution of law-abiding Farangs at airports.   Why they are behaving as jerks is up to debate - but based on the attitudes the OP experienced, it sounds like a culture of hate within certain groups of Immigration officials.  Who knows how far up this goes - but it Most Certainly does NOT refer to Thai people in general.

Are you serious when you say Immigration officers are behaving like jerks?  They are just doing their job!  The onus is on the traveller to prove that he has the means to be able to survive in Thailand and proof that he will leave.  Thailand's entry requirements set the bar very low and if you cannot show 20,000 baht for a 2-month stay and a ticket out of the country, seriously, they shouldn't allow you in.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mstevens said:

If you have enough money to live the life of Reilly in Thailand, showing 20,000 baht to an Immigration officer is nothing.  It is peanuts.

I think what you are missing is that some immigration officials are not checking if people have sufficient funds to support themselves in Thailand. They are insisting that people who had no idea of the requirement should show 20,000 baht cash on the spot, and preventing them from visiting an ATM to draw the cash (while still allowing them to visit an ATM to draw much larger amounts of cash for air tickets back home). Being able to show millions of baht in the bank is insufficient.

When an immigration official wishes legally to deny entry (probably because suspicious about what someone is really doing in Thailand) there are only a few reasons they can give. I believe the 20,000 baht thing is an excuse, and pretty unfair to the affected individual if the official's suspicions turn out to be off base.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

Are you serious when you say Immigration officers are behaving like jerks?  They are just doing their job!  The onus is on the traveller to prove that he has the means to be able to survive in Thailand and proof that he will leave.  Thailand's entry requirements set the bar very low and if you cannot show 20,000 baht for a 2-month stay and a ticket out of the country, seriously, they shouldn't allow you in.

You are right when you say they are just doing their jobs, but they have a certain amount of discretion which means using common sense, and common sense is not compatible with Thailand in any way. I am not a Thai basher, I see the good in most things in Thailand, and the people also, but I will also say what I think.

10 hours ago, Frank12 said:

Yes you are right and untill your post I didn't realize that I made it unclear. So yeah I was finally let in . The title of the thread was reffering to my visit back to my home country next month and me coming back whether there is a chance I am going to be denied entry? Anyway people are right and in fact I caused the harm to myself by being totally careless with the law etc. (like Thai people being caught when the Police finally stops them for driving without helmet)I would appreciate for the mod to either change the title or even close it because I unconsciously might spread wrong information because yeah I was let in .Anyway  I didn't realize that it is true I am on a wrong visa and having non immigrant doesn't allow me to stay long term and I should get the extension. I mean worst case scenario I will buy the Thai Elite visa because people write about it as a valid option. So yeah will just stay abroad at least 6 months/year from now on and get the marriage extension ASAP.

Thanks for all the info/Thread closed.

In the meantime, if you are still planning on attending your friends wedding outside Thailand before sorting out local banking, getting a extension based on marriage, an Elite visa or taking the wife back to Europe, use Suvarnabhumi airport as recommended by ubonjoe in the very first response to your OP.

16 hours ago, mvdf said:

I'm struggling to understand why you and others on this forum WONDER why IOs behave in a manner you deem inappropriate! 

I am Asian and when I travel to Schengen countries, the U.S., Australia etc I am occasionally interrogated, my travel history scrutinised, itinerary analysed...

Why is it that you think or expect westerners to be treated preferentially, kowtowed even, just because you come from first world countries? Immigration authorities in this region are entitled to interrogate, analyse, admit or expel, scrutinise all arriving human beings at ports of entry in the same exact manner we Asians are treated when we arrive at your airports!

That is a good answer, but Thailand depends on tourism and people settling here more than the US, UK Australia etc, and should be enforcing the rules where employers and illegal workers are concerned, and trying to encourage tourism and people who want to settle here.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That is a good answer, but Thailand depends on tourism and people settling here more than the US, UK Australia etc, and should be enforcing the rules where employers and illegal workers are concerned, and trying to encourage tourism and people who want to settle here.

Thailand does not depend on people settling here. In fact people settling here is the last thing they want unless they bring investment. This would dilute what they call "Thainess" and also bring radical ideas like 'democracy' and free speech. The US specifically requires immigration to keep GDP growth moving along and fund future needs as the birth rate is too low to sustain the country in the long term.

32 minutes ago, tonray said:

Thailand does not depend on people settling here. In fact people settling here is the last thing they want unless they bring investment. This would dilute what they call "Thainess" and also bring radical ideas like 'democracy' and free speech. The US specifically requires immigration to keep GDP growth moving along and fund future needs as the birth rate is too low to sustain the country in the long term.

So if every expat who lives here, who have wifes, families and regular incomes from their own country, suddenly upped and left at the first opportunity, it would not harm Thailand in any way, and the Thai government would be glad to see us go?:sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think you need to re-read the things that have been said to people entering - very unprofessional.  "Jerk" is a 4-letter word I can use in this forum, though not nearly harsh enough, when it comes to playing with people's lives.  I was questioned for awhile once - but was treated professionally, and would not put the IOs I dealt with in this category.   I was never called a "liar," for example - an accusation that should only occur when accompanied by arrest and proof of such.

All the cases I have seen where the person was rejected for not having 20K baht in cash or travelers checks, they Could Have Shown It if allowed to go to an ATM - and in the airport-cases, accessed their funds for buying their emergency tickets out.  20K isn't enough for a 2-month stay, which is another reason it is a pointless rule.  A "throwaway" ticket is $30 or less, and proves nothing.

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In the meantime, if you are still planning on attending your friends wedding outside Thailand before sorting out local banking, getting a extension based on marriage, an Elite visa or taking the wife back to Europe, use Suvarnabhumi airport as recommended by ubonjoe in the very first response to your OP.

He already has a Multi-O Visa based on marriage, I believe.  If so, he does not need a new visa.  He needs to enter somewhere that the IOs follow the law, and don't arbitrarily decide whom they subjectively think should or should not be in Thailand.  I would suggest flying back to Malaysia (a country where immigration follows their laws) and then do a land border-crossing.

46 minutes ago, tonray said:

Thailand does not depend on people settling here. In fact people settling here is the last thing they want unless they bring investment. This would dilute what they call "Thainess" and also bring radical ideas like 'democracy' and free speech.

Thailand does depend on foreigners living and spending their foreign-capital here, of which each contributes multiple Thai-salaries worth of investment.  That is why the retirement-system exists.  

Democracy is not considered radical at all - you should watch the Friday-evening speeches by the NCPO (has English subs).  But as in the USA, under The Thai Constitution, Democracy is contained within a framework to avoid 51%-mob-rule tyranny. 

I agree that cultural-dilution is a concern, and would support limiting foreign persons to specific, already "culturally compromised" areas - though the Internet and virtual-reality is going to undermine this eventually, in any case.

45 minutes ago, tonray said:

The US specifically requires immigration to keep GDP growth moving along and fund future needs as the birth rate is too low to sustain the country in the long term.

We have automation, now - do not need "more bodies".  Unemployment is about equal to the number of foreign-workers - so we could end poverty and the crisis in welfare-program funding in a few years, by simply returning the illegal persons in the country, and pausing immigration.  But ending "cheap human lives" is not what those in power desire. 

The Social-Security ponzi-scheme is the only area where the "more people" rule holds - because it literally is a Ponzi Scheme by definition, so requires exponential growth to maintain the illusion of solubility; this will need to be replaced by a different system, eventually.  Royalties from public land, ocean, and underground resources would make the most sense, as it does not involve stealing what someone else created/earned to fund it.

28 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

So if every expat who lives here, who have wifes, families and regular incomes from their own country, suddenly upped and left at the first opportunity, it would not harm Thailand in any way, and the Thai government would be glad to see us go?:sad:

You overstate the importance of expats to the Thai economy, it is a benefit but hardly what keeps the country economically stable. 

• Like 1