French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapse at Phuket resort

rooster59

On 15/04/2017 at 4:41 AM, Ron19 said:

A number of posters have taken this article the wrong way.The english is correct " French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapse " .  

If the article was written " French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapsed " , then you would have reason to think the way you did.

Try this

"French tourist, aged 44, died after collapsing in Phuket Resort bathroom  " This clearly states he died in the bathroom after collapsing ETC

French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapse "  This suggests the bathroom fell in on him

The bathroom collapsed on a French tourist

English can be written many ways but only those taught the wrong way write the wrong way

I may be wrong as I am a stupid English person so certain teachers say

I am used to reading articles where the English translation is not up to the critics, especially on this forum.

Rip to the poor gent who died pretty young in life.  His family will certainly be deeply affected by his death, and

I imagine that their holidays were ended by this event.

Geezer

When I first read the headline my brain also thought there had been a building collapse, but in the time it took to open the article I had processed and understood the actual intent of the story.

While I have certain emotions regarding the angst of readers who were misled by an inability to understand this intent, and also for those to whom the misuse of English by a Thai journalist is the big story here, my only real sympathies go to the family of the unfortunate tourist who died way too early.

RIP

On 4/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, Ron19 said:

A number of posters have taken this article the wrong way.The english is correct " French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapse " .  

If the article was written " French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapsed " , then you would have reason to think the way you did.

Actually, in newspaper English the narrative voice  - which uses present tense for past events - is  usually used to describe past events in headlines "Police arrest suspect" for example.  Yes, I know this is not a newspaper but native speakers of English -  and others - will read it as such.

Edited by BugJackBaron
clarity

3 hours ago, BugJackBaron said:

Actually, in newspaper English the narrative voice  - which uses present tense for past events - is  usually used to describe past events in headlines "Police arrest suspect" for example.  Yes, I know this is not a newspaper but native speakers of English -  and others - will read it as such.

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Try this

"French tourist, aged 44, died after collapsing in Phuket Resort bathroom  " This clearly states he died in the bathroom after collapsing ETC

French tourist, 44, dies after bathroom collapse "  This suggests the bathroom fell in on him

The bathroom collapsed on a French tourist

English can be written many ways but only those taught the wrong way write the wrong way

I may be wrong as I am a stupid English person so certain teachers say

where's charlie?

On 4/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, Ron19 said:

The correct English would be......French tourist dies after collapsing in the bathroom. Don't you know the Queen's English?...................................Is she?