Backpackers in Fisherman Trousers!

baneko

Last time in BKK I decided to take a look up Khaosarn with the wife. Obviously back packer central but good for a laugh. I usually grab a seat close to the middle and look as the world goes by.

I like to watch and laugh at the backpackers. They think they are cool walking about like tramps as they wear those Fisherman Trousers.

Do you own a pair and would you wear a pair?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I always thought the idea was to blend in a bit, to look as though you belong. But they deliberately look alien, part of some sort of "hey look at me I'm a free-spirited world traveller" mindset.

And do the young ladies still braid their hair??

Yes, its almost like its a uniform. Its like they googled 1970s backpacker and try and dress the same. 

I did the whole backpacking thing in the 70s and sometimes you would end up in some pretty remote locations and if you needed some new pants, fishermen pants were it. Until you got to Singapore, KL, bangkok etc. I recall going to Koh Samui back then, on a fishing boat because there was no ferry, and it was grass huts on the beach. I think I brought a pair of fisherman pants back then, after ripping my cargo shorts on some coral. They were the only thing available.

My mate had a bar/cafe on Samui in Chaweng. He sold the chespest fried rice chicken/pork on Beach Road. He would tell yhe backpackers this as they checked the menu. They would then check every menu and come back to him.

There is no logic in this as they probably burn the calories walking up and down Beach Road that was in the Fried Rice all to try and save 5 baht. Thats backpackers for you!

I accept that we do like to come to TV and whinge about current state of the world. However, whinges about fisherman's pants is setting the bar fairly low, don't you think? I think some of us may have come here in part to escape the social condemnation over fashion choices and other individual decisions that frankly are not our business. Unless we are talking about obese men in wife beaters.... (ha)

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Don't knock 'em, we were all young once.

Yes your right of course. Reading poster number 4 reminds me that I worked with a guy whom I asked what his goals in life were. He said to raise enough money to go travelling and I of course because of the times almost fell over as to me at the time life was a job a wife and kids and a house. It is what we were taught at the time. Yes life worked out OK for me with this plan but I from time to time wistfully think back to this guy and the adventures he must have experienced. 

They probably look at you and laugh that you are stuck with a Thai hooker and should be out having fun,which could be had with or without fishermans trousers.

Not had a hooker in 10yrs....mores the pity. As for people laughing at me. If you can dish it out you have to take it.

Bet you must have a pair! Have I touched a sore point in yer wardrobe?

For those wondering........

images (9).jpg

Light, easily packed,

Easily washed,

Practical long trouser (to stop being bitten by mossies).

Really cheap.

Everything a back-packer needs.

As long as you dont care what you look like.!!........Grasshopper....lol

Aww, leave the darlings alone. We were all young and foolish once, now for the most part we're old and foolish. The difference is the world was newer then and we thought we were originals.

And in any case, give me so-called fisherman's pants in preference to harem pants any day of the Thai calendar:

harempants-hill-tribe-pants-1_grande.jpg

Edited by Xobtsiwt

22 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Years ago I saw a frumpy female backpacker with blue dreadlocks, fishermans pants and tie dye top trying to eat kow pat goong with chopsticks of a plate in khao San rd. Yep, that'll be her "doing thailand," I guess.

Lol - yeah, what is this obsession with trying to eat rice off a plate with chopsticks, trying to fit in with the locals - but locals don't waste time with wooden sticks, they use a shovel and as quick as you like.