buying a small business for girlfriend

looking into renting small plot/unit or stall at one of pattaya night bazaar indoor markets.        i will invest money for a small business for my girlfriend in clothing , handbags& shoes or beachtowels& suitcases/rucksacks etc ,    mainly of course catering to tourists .          girlfriend says she will work in either bkk or pattaya or anywhere else that has a decent influx of tourists , phuket maybe or i think phuket is too far away from pratunam where i will source the clothes though phuket alllways has a good steady flow of tourists and no reall low season ?     maybe im wrong . 

we will source the clothes from pratunam / chatachuk & bobae  markets in bkk and are going to have a look at these places on tuesday next week. 

can anyone give advice about this type of investment / small business .       we were initially going to go into a bar/restaurant but i decided against it for obvious reasons ( very few bars in pattaya make money , big headache & large invesment needed on start up )       a small business selling clothes i think will suit her and if sucessfull then she can open another lot ,  the way i see it she will have better control over her business and smaller initial outlay for only rent for premises 10-15k a month and 300k  for buying her wares. 

can anyone offer advise about this type of buisness .  where is best location , names or number of landlords or empty lots for sale.  what is best sellers for tourists ie womans shoes & handbags ?  mens shorts and shirts ? suitcases & beach towels etc  ?

thankyou in advance

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself this question? Would you buy a business for your GF in your home country? No, then why would you invest in

a business here? 80% of new businesses in the world fail in the first year. With a Thai GF running the business the failure

rate would be closer to 99%. Now, if you watched over the business, such as taking the money each evening and taking

inventory each evening, you could monitor the profits and/or losses. When your in your home country, the business would

close once the inventory is gone. They don't understand you need to replenish the inventory after some is sold. All the GF

wants is the money for her family and Thai husband.

300k ????? I could fill a truck for 50k.

Clothing etc is mega cheap at the places you mention and buying in bulk at around 100 baht an item or less.

The biggest mistake is they (women) buy things they like not what sells. Using the scattergun approach to stock will lose you money. Do your reasearch find out what sells at a decent margin and focus on that.

Personally I think you are wasting your time and throwing your money away.She will just end up with a large selection of shoes and bags and a huge wardrobe and you'll have supplied it.

Your figures are way out already.

I can see your dilemma, Pumpjack. If you don't have your lady gainfully employed you will be shelling out all the time and she will become totally dependant on you for supporting her and her family. I don't know you or your lady so won't presume anything and give an opinion. I just think you need to ask yourself some basic questions. Does she have any business experience? Is she good with numbers? Is she a grafter? Is a business your idea or hers? 

Another option could be her working full or part-time in someone else's business. She would still have her financial independance, you wouldn't be taking a risk.

I would be wary of a relationship where you are spending every minute of every day in each others company. 

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Start wit a detailed business plan which should include all the parameters. Once finished ask your self weather this is all viable. All costs should be included. Not only the purchase costs but also all the 'tail end'costs'. 

Don't forget to look around and have a talk to other entrepreneurs.

Guy, I have walked this trail and specifically with a clothing shop or stall.  Just say no.

Rules for successful business:  Trust no one, never be involved in any thing you are not the expert.  Never be in business where you can not understand the spoken and written language.

It seems simple enough but your girl evidently has never done this type business.  She doesn't know the ropes and there are many just lying in wait for the next girl with a farang boyfriend and pocket full of money to open a new shop.  She will meet new ladies in the business, they will become best friends and will "help" her with everything since she is new because they really really want a new competitor in the next stall over.  Those she buys from will have special deals for opening a new shop so she can be successful, because they know she will be in business a long long time and they just want to help.  You will not have a clue what is happening, you will just send more money because "we need" this one more thing.  

Every body will win in this new venture but you and in the end she will have a bunch of clothes to give away to her friends when you finally pull the plug to cut your losses.

Good luck to you.  But this is a loser..........

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

300k ????? I could fill a truck for 50k.

Clothing etc is mega cheap at the places you mention and buying in bulk at around 100 baht an item or less.

The biggest mistake is they (women) buy things they like not what sells. Using the scattergun approach to stock will lose you money. Do your reasearch find out what sells at a decent margin and focus on that.

Personally I think you are wasting your time and throwing your money away.She will just end up with a large selection of shoes and bags and a huge wardrobe and you'll have supplied it.

Your figures are way out already.

Op, please just don't do it. It's so obvious that neither you nor your gf will ever make any money.

Edited by ajarngreg

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

Start wit a detailed business plan which should include all the parameters. Once finished ask your self weather this is all viable. All costs should be included. Not only the purchase costs but also all the 'tail end'costs'. 

Talking about the weather? Okay, it's always a good reason to start a conversation with. :omfg: ( Sarcasm, life's so serious...)

Edited by ajarngreg

Mate Come off it you really are getting absolutely pumped, Jack.

May I suggest you buy her a Samsung phone a really nice one and send me a PM. I'll give you a licence to monitor her phone remotely for 1 year and from there your gonna get a very clear picture of your predicament. Disrespect me or not small business but clearly wants to stay in a touristic environment. Red flags are u mate. 4 years down the line son it ain't fun. So let's get serious before you get pumped again.

11 hours ago, tomwct said:

Ask yourself this question? Would you buy a business for your GF in your home country? No, then why would you invest in

a business here? 80% of new businesses in the world fail in the first year. With a Thai GF running the business the failure

rate would be closer to 99%. Now, if you watched over the business, such as taking the money each evening and taking

inventory each evening, you could monitor the profits and/or losses. When your in your home country, the business would

close once the inventory is gone. They don't understand you need to replenish the inventory after some is sold. All the GF

wants is the money for her family and Thai husband.

A real good one. In a country where people need a calculator to subtract 20 baht from 100 baht, it's almost impossible that a Thai gf who went through such a great education be successful in running such a business.

Even the noodle soup vendors have no idea if they make plus, or lose money until it's too late. 

I'd even raise your number from 99 % to 99.9%.  

12 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

Mate Come off it you really are getting absolutely pumped, Jack.

May I suggest you buy her a Samsung phone a really nice one and send me a PM. I'll give you a licence to monitor her phone remotely for 1 year and from there your gonna get a very clear picture of your predicament. Disrespect me or not small business but clearly wants to stay in a touristic environment. Red flags are u mate. 4 years down the line son it ain't fun. So let's get serious before you get pumped again.

Weird. I had the same feelings regarding the touristy areas this afternoon but wasn't in the mood to bring it up. Now after reading your post I have to agree with your thoughts and your idea is great.

I guess you're talking about a program that enables you to switch the cam, loudspeaker on, etc..let's you read e-mails and messages and you always know where she really is when she tells you that mom got sick. GPS makes it possible. Cheers.-

Edited by ajarngreg

8 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Weird. I had the same feelings regarding the touristy areas this afternoon but wasn't in the mood to bring it up. Now after reading your post I have to agree with your thoughts and your idea is great.

I guess you're talking about a program that enables you to switch the cam, loudspeaker, etc..lewt's you read e-mails and messages and you always know where she really is when she tells you that mom got sick. GPS makes it possible. Cheers.-

To be honest Greg the idea is more aligned with child protection as that is so under nourished in Thailand that the key to this software is perfect for monitoring 11 year old and up who are adventurous yet naive online. My Mrs sells this at the school she teaches but the software is also great for the suspicious partner market but given the backlash or potential for it we opted for child monitoring and yes it's extremely intuitive and highly intrusive.  They sell it in bkk online for 6000 baht for 3 months. I will give a free licence to this guy as he needs it. Heck I'd give licences away free if it opened just 1 persons eyes. But I take that back actually it's free to this guy but I'll do a deal with anyone but I don't want any backlash I'm trying to lead an ethical lifestyle. Sorry btw it's called www.x200portal.com

Edited by RocknRolla

32 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

To be honest Greg the idea is more aligned with child protection as that is so under nourished in Thailand that the key to this software is perfect for monitoring 11 year old and up who are adventurous yet naive online. My Mrs sells this at the school she teaches but the software is also great for the suspicious partner market but given the backlash or potential for it we opted for child monitoring and yes it's extremely intuitive and highly intrusive.  They sell it in bkk online for 6000 baht for 3 months. I will give a free licence to this guy as he needs it. Heck I'd give licences away free if it opened just 1 persons eyes. But I take that back actually it's free to this guy but I'll do a deal with anyone but I don't want any backlash I'm trying to lead an ethical lifestyle. Sorry btw it's called www.x200portal.com

Good to hear, mate. Kids have to be protected. There are so many weird people online and some kids don't understand how bad some people can be, especially on facebook. People search for little kiddies' and do strange things with their photos.  Have a good one. 

11 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

where would you find a detailed business plan template in Thai  to fill out ?  or in English if there is none in Thai !

Are there any YouTube channels in Thai that tell how to open and run a small business ?

I think that most of these Thais would love to understand the right way to do it ,

there is just not a place for them to learn without getting "help" from the competition.

Where do they find real info about starting a small business ?

'

32 minutes ago, ajarngreg said:

Good to hear, mate. Kids have to be protected. There are so many weird people online and some kids don't understand how bad some people can be, especially on facebook. People search for little kiddies' and do strange things with their photos.  Have a good one. 

The main culprits are randy young 15 year olds trying to get a glimpse of a photo they persuade the younger children to send. They then may threaten to expose the pic if they do not meet or send more etc. That's the main sell point anyways but you can do all sorts with its turn phone into a Room bug or activate features remotely. Read all content and images on phone and of course as you said. Locate the phone via GPS. 

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

where would you find a detailed business plan template in Thai  to fill out ?  or in English if there is none in Thai !

There is no need for a template. Just collect as much a possible info, make assumptions and use your brains to make a kind of plan. Not too difficult.

2 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Are there any YouTube channels in Thai that tell how to open and run a small business ?

I think that most of these Thais would love to understand the right way to do it ,

there is just not a place for them to learn without getting "help" from the competition.

Where do they find real info about starting a small business ?

'

By watching the daily soap operas, plus the good guy's speeches about foreigners in little bikinis at beaches who produce local rapists, perhaps?

Increasement of  IQ up to 1.235 % after watchin' the b.s. for a year. Or both. Or never.

Think I would give the idea a miss. Seen to many pissed off farangs over the years doing similar. But, if you have cash to burn and won't get upset about it give it a try.

Many birds have these ideas using someone else's dosh and it's gone down the pan. Some even "milk" until it fails, not saying your bird will do that but it happens.

I know one bloke who actually built a shop on the end of his house for his lady, that shop now has "extended" family living in it...

.facepalm.gif.72be7ee24d2c40ceb6fe6b299a0b4079.gif

Most can't run a bath let alone a business.

most think opening a businesses, evolves doing bugger all,  sitting around.

eating, playing fake book all day

whilst the staff they just employed do the work they should be doing.

Go spend your money on sensible things like

beer , wine, food, small holiday,  maybe adult entertainment.

you will enjoy yourself way more.

And you will still love your wife after it is all gone

you wont be able to say the same after attempting to run a business here. :jap:

You could tell her to go get a proper job !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock1:

Edited by onemorechang