Asked to remove chicken due to noise??

Apparently my wife was asked to get rid of two small chickens she recently aquired due to some neighbours complaining. 

Nevermind the other neighbours barking, fighting, howling dogs that roam the estate freely shitting everywhere.

anyway, i never signed off on any rules about this upon moving in but could such exist regarding livestock? 

We are in a small resort... got about 1 rai of  fenced off land and house.

Many housing developments will have a clause "No farming Animals Allowed"! I live in Korat and my neighbors son is an alcoholic and drinker, so one day he brings home a fighting rooster. After one night, awakening at 4:00AM, I asked his Mother to get rid of it. She sometimes thinks she's special and she said it was injured and wanted to care for it a week. I said no and immediately sent an email to the developer and they had it removed before sundown. No one should have to put up noise and  lowering their property values by allowing farm animals. If they wanted to buy a farm they should have!

Fair enough. They do make an awful racket and neighbours shouldn't have to put up with it.

I have a piece of land that I will start farming in a couple of years time and will make sure the bloody things are somewhere away from our house so I don't have to hear them.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I've read about some locals being indignant and defiant in the face of common sense and respect for others... now we read of a foreigner who thinks its acceptable to have Chickens in his house at a 'small resort' (moo-baan?)... 

.... of note, the neighbors dogs crapping anywhere doesn't mean its ok to have squawking chickens... 

Perhaps the same people who asked you (your wife) to get rid of the Chickens could also handle the 'dog issue' ?

Two small chickens don't make much noise especially when in a big garden like ours. The kids like them so i see no harm in it. Its a small resort in terms of 25 houses max but with big plots. I think my neighbour has nearly 2 rai. 

I'm staying in a house in Sydney right now, maybe 400 sqm plot, they also have chickens and i don't hear them.

I think we can all agree dogs make more noise. 

Edited by Chuckles78

Just now, Chuckles78 said:

Two small chickens don't make much noise especially when in a big garden like ours. The kids like them so i see no harm in it. 

I'm staying in a house in Sydney right now, maybe 400 sqm plot, they also have chickens and i don't hear them.

Agreed - Dogs, when poorly looked after and or poorly disciplined can and often do make much more of a nuisance of themselves. When well trained and looked after, dogs are hardly noticeable. 

How do you train Chickens to keep quiet ?

That said: My sister has a large garden - 4 chickens, in a coup with a run...  They don't make much noise, the neighbors like them and feed them while my sisters family holiday etc... I think the pesky chucks make an annoying racket, but no more than a dog... 

Thus... Your point is quite valid... 

5 minutes ago, trogers said:

Chicken don't make noise after dark. Roosters do...

... at 4 am ?

..... & roosters cockledoodledoo'ing at first light is also a myth, they go at it all night !!!... 

back to Chickens... they make a racket in the early hours of the morning, the fight each other (ever heard of 'hen pecked'... 'pecking order' ?).... the 'can be' very noisy creatures... but as commented before, no more so than an errant dog. 

34 minutes ago, Chuckles78 said:

Two small chickens don't make much noise especially when in a big garden like ours. The kids like them so i see no harm in it. Its a small resort in terms of 25 houses max but with big plots. I think my neighbour has nearly 2 rai. 

only when necessary, if they're properly trained.

4 minutes ago, samsensam said:

only when necessary, if they're properly trained.

I doubt many are trained in Thailand, especially in my resort. One has even bitten several residents. 

Anyway, the question was relating to rules of these small resorts/communities. Or perhaps of the local council. As to what may or may not be kept on own property.

Of course if I had a animal making a lot of noise I would do something about it. But this is a case of disgruntle neighbour bullying my family.

On 4/15/2017 at 8:15 PM, tomwct said:

No one should have to put up noise and  lowering their property values by allowing farm animals.

There goes Thailand to H in a hand basket. Their everywhere their everywhere especially the scrawny crowing roosters. 

On 4/15/2017 at 8:56 PM, trogers said:

Chicken don't make noise after dark. Roosters do...

I think you mean hens don't make noise. Roosters are chickens. They can and do make noise whenever the spirit moves them, including at dawn.

6 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

There goes Thailand to H in a hand basket. Their everywhere their everywhere especially the scrawny crowing roosters. 

Also the noise of flight birds flapping their wings overhead and tree leaves making noise when the wind blows. Ban them all. And don't get me started with the cacophony of butterflies flapping about, ants marching by or crickets chirping away. 

Edited by Suradit69

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

Also the noise of flight birds flapping their wings overhead and tree leaves making noise when the wind blows. Ban them all. And don't get me started with the cacophony of butterflies flapping about, ants marching by or crickets. 

Reading your post and stacking em up against people your alternative seems better. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Reading your post and stacking em up against people your alternative seems better. 

It's the damn city slickers. They want to live at one with nature in the bucolic countryside, but only after nature is denatured, sanitized, rendered sterile or eradicated. Throwing a hissy fit over a couple of chickens is ridiculous. 

Maybe best to just pave it all with green colored concrete and stick in some plastic flora and fauna. 

On 15/04/2017 at 8:15 PM, tomwct said:

Many housing developments will have a clause "No farming Animals Allowed"! I live in Korat and my neighbors son is an alcoholic and drinker, so one day he brings home a fighting rooster. After one night, awakening at 4:00AM, I asked his Mother to get rid of it. She sometimes thinks she's special and she said it was injured and wanted to care for it a week. I said no and immediately sent an email to the developer and they had it removed before sundown. No one should have to put up noise and  lowering their property values by allowing farm animals. If they wanted to buy a farm they should have!

Mr Angry has spoken. 

My sister in laws husband keeps roosters etc next door they can start early doors , i think he would just laugh if i said anything then again his missus stragled a couple of them when she had enough of them , village life carried on

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Also the noise of flight birds flapping their wings overhead and tree leaves making noise when the wind blows. Ban them all. And don't get me started with the cacophony of butterflies flapping about, ants marching by or crickets chirping away. 

They would be soldier ants , we too get them marching up and down , 6 legs each , small boots I know . As for chooks , The spare land we sold next to us contains fighting ckooks , more noise than a complete platoon of soldier ants , I asked the wife to take my complaint to the brown clowns ......no point it is them that keeps the fighting chooks .

We have chooks, guineas, geese, fish and two dogs, they all make noise at all hours (OK not the fish), just like the ones that belong to the neighbours.

BUT.

We don't live in a moo-bahn or resort. I think that's where our OP falls over, hens don't make that much noise but they may well be prohibited by the local roolze.

On 15/04/2017 at 9:26 PM, Chuckles78 said:

Anyway, the question was relating to rules of these small resorts/communities. Or perhaps of the local council. As to what may or may not be kept on own property.

Of course if I had a animal making a lot of noise I would do something about it. But this is a case of disgruntle neighbour bullying my family.

If you were one of my neighbours, you will have already had a visit!  If you want to keep chickens, go and live in the Nackon Nowheres!

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It's the damn city slickers. They want to live at one with nature in the bucolic countryside, but only after nature is denatured, sanitized, rendered sterile or eradicated. Throwing a hissy fit over a couple of chickens is ridiculous. 

Maybe best to just pave it all with green colored concrete and stick in some plastic flora and fauna. 

Quit joking if we don't get more rain this could become a reality. We already have the paper tigers, elephants seem to be getting more feisty with cars, snakes of every variety. Politicians promising happy zones. 

That's why I love BKK!  Really you already had complaint(s) most likely from a Thai neighbor. They must be a pain in the butt and loud! You lived recently without them now do the right thing and give them away. I can't really believe your post !! 

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

It would be easier to clean up after them.

Sometimes you just have to go with the rules... though if not making noise, I am surprised anyone noticed...

I kept a giraffe in my Bkk condo, but the upstairs neighbor got annoyed when I cut a hole in the ceiling... but they were just complaining cause they got the head part and were responsible for the food, never considering that I had to clean up the mess... 

it's not easy having reasonable neighbors.