Transferring Funds to Thailand to Purchase a Home. Best practice?

Just now, david555 said:

Does your country not keep paying the widow...? my country does if a genuine marriage is done and brought to their knowledge ....? May only not marry again ,and she shall become a widow pension equal to the single person pension , no" freezing" like in old generous brexit country ...( +2 % in steps likewise living costs ...)

Australia doesn't even pay a foreign wife, let alone a GF. If you are foolish enough to let Centrelink know you are married, your single age pension is cut by about 40% to a couple's pension - except your non-Australian wife deemed to be part of a couple by Centrelink isn't eligible for any pension because she's not Australian. Simple, isn't it?

14 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

Australia doesn't even pay a foreign wife, let alone a GF. If you are foolish enough to let Centrelink know you are married, your single age pension is cut by about 40% to a couple's pension - except your non-Australian wife deemed to be part of a couple by Centrelink isn't eligible for any pension because she's not Australian. Simple, isn't it?

In my country (Belgium ) A single pensioner who married officially get 25% augmentation ,so finally receiving a family pension (on condition the wife does not work ..(this for a workers pension , civil servants have not a family pension ,but they receive approx. 70% from last salary by a referring years period .)

We also are not cut because living abroad ,and gain full access to health care when EVEN for short triphome country or re patriating ... no waiting list.

WAW if Thai woman knows this... we and the French and others EU.would be hunted by the older Thai lady's ...:shock1: 

PS: GF also get nothing in pension system , but not get cut short for a living togheter as in the Netherlands /Dutch system , they get punished if living with /eating a green leaf...:smile:

Edited by david555

On 4/17/2017 at 1:24 AM, CrashTestDummy said:

Thanks for the responses. Good to hear we're on the right track. Regarding the nightmare of not being able to own land as a foreigner, we'll be avoid that by putting the property in my wife's name. 

Does anyone have any input regarding using Bangkok Bank rather than another bank (such as our current Kasikorn bank)? I've heard that there may be benefits to using Bangkok Bank because they have branches in the US.

OP do you have a BK Bank account?

22 hours ago, david555 said:

Does your country not keep paying the widow...? my country does if a genuine marriage is done and brought to their knowledge ....? May only not marry again ,and she shall become a widow pension equal to the single person pension for life .., no" freezing" like in old generous brexit country ...( +2 % in steps likewise living costs ...)

Nope.

I am not sure about the exact regulations, but the UK now bases the pension on personal contributions. Moving to Thailand and marrying a woman will not, as far as I know, entitle her to anything.

Which is fair, as she will not have contributed anything to the UK. If an old guy married a girl 40 years younger and popped it, if entitled to a widows pension she could be on the pension take for fifty years or more. 

It is down to her aged husband to make sure she is OK.

Those countries that would still pay out will, IMO, be changing the rules over time. Particularly if the number of expat widows increases substantially.

1 hour ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Nope.

I am not sure about the exact regulations, but the UK now bases the pension on personal contributions. Moving to Thailand and marrying a woman will not, as far as I know, entitle her to anything.

Which is fair, as she will not have contributed anything to the UK. If an old guy married a girl 40 years younger and popped it, if entitled to a widows pension she could be on the pension take for fifty years or more. 

It is down to her aged husband to make sure she is OK.

Those countries that would still pay out will, IMO, be changing the rules over time. Particularly if the number of expat widows increases substantially.

My country has a policy not to change existing pensions if the rules change for new pensioners entry's.... ,but as you say  future is there to possible changes ...

I used the Bangkok bank in Phuket to transfer a large sum of money to buy a premises in Phuket. I made an appointment with the bank manager and let her guide me through the transfer and purchase process. The service was helpful and she was most professional, knowledgeable and prompt with arrangements, and it only costs a thank you. 5 stars to her.

35 minutes ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Not yet, but based on what I've heard it may be worth getting one with BK Bank. We currently only have an account with Kasikorn. 

You can't use the US transfer route using Bangkok Bank unless you have an account with them in Thailand - BB has a single branch in NYC and it's not a retail bank hence you can't open an account there, it's simply a pass through mechanism.

9 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Not yet, but based on what I've heard it may be worth getting one with BK Bank. We currently only have an account with Kasikorn. 

Your going to need to get a guarantor in Thailand . Perhaps someone in her family that has a responsible position,that will  vouch for you.Open the account close to where you live.Even though the banks have the same name in Thailand they are separate from each other according to province .They charge fee's when out of province.Keep us informed on your status CTD.   

Edited by riclag

15 minutes ago, riclag said:

Your going to need to get a guarantor in Thailand . Perhaps someone in her family that has a responsible position,that will  vouch for you.Open the account close to where you live.Even though the banks have the same name in Thailand they are separate from each other according to province .They charge fee's when out of province.Keep us informed on your status CTD.   

A person doesn't need a guarantor to open a bank account in Thailand.

35 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

A person doesn't need a guarantor to open a bank account in Thailand.

Sorry, I should of said,depending on what BKK  bank you go to and what branch. The Bkk Bank branch in Isan wanted a guarantor .No doubt it could be different in other provinces.My Kasikon didn't .Kasikon is farang friendly. Keep us posted on the transfer especially if using BKK bank OP 

Edited by riclag

10 hours ago, CrashTestDummy said:

Yup ,Especially if you have a bank in the USA.It will be considered a domestic transfer and the fee's are less.