North Korean missile 'blows up' on test launch as Pence heads for South

rooster59

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes.....Sadly as we all know NK is a nut state, the whole country is based around war mongering when in reality if they just get on with life they have no problem. Ordinary NK folk live in fear ever day that their own ruler will take them out..Hitler was left alone for too long and look what happened...Of course the Chinese have just sat back and let things progress to where we are now....The nut has not taken any notice of anyone, well nuts don't do they..

Saddam did similar stuff, took no notice because he thought his huge army could prevail, it didn't, taken out in day's...

Funny you should mention Saddam.  That was another ruler of whom is could be said that his "folk live in fear ever day that their own ruler will take them out." Good thing he was taken out instead?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

As far as I know, launching an intercontinental ballistic missile requires a room full of guys with PHDs, some pretty top end computers, some top secret proprietary software, a couple of dedicated satellites, a big screen with a countdown on it and a cat that you pat as you press the red button. Where is a country that barely has electricity getting this stuff from ??

Perhaps your are forgetting the missing element. There is a similarity in hairstyles.

strangelove.jpg

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

North Korea has learnt that having nuclear weapons is indeed a deterrent against attack. They saw what happened to Libya after they gave up their nuclear program.

So, this is an almost intractable issue. Presumably, their warheads are already distributed so a surgical strike would not work and would certainly result in retaliation.

I can't see any option but having China apply pressure and using severe sanctions. 

I hope that Japan does not obtain nuclear weapons as a result

"I can't see any option but having China and using severe sanctions".  

Agreed  and I would also add in that a missile strike or invasion of either South Korea or Japan will bring an immediate missile (possibly nuclear) response from their ally, the U.S. (and maybe others), as a further deterrent to the loud mouthed little fat guy.

Asia (or the world) does not need the U.S. making a pre-emptive strike. A draconian response will be sufficient.

At the moment, I hope fat boy is choking on his loss of face.

28 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Funny you should mention Saddam.  That was another ruler of whom is could be said that his "folk live in fear ever day that their own ruler will take them out." Good thing he was taken out instead?

It seems to me  that the worlds most powerful leaders are determined to make atomic size statements. Trumps battle with Hillary is over and he's still on a roll looking for more battles to win. Momentum is on his side and now adversaries are popping up ready to take him on. Trump has 4 years to make his mark on the world and create an ever lasting legacy. Lets hope sanity prevails in the end and the silos are never opened. 

4 hours ago, transam said:

I fear for the safety of the bloke(s) who put his "missile" together....:sad:

I'm rather enthusiastic about it.  I doubt they'll be doing anything more productive going forward than perhaps excavating their own graves.

...that is if they haven't assumed room temperature already.

4 hours ago, transam said:
4 hours ago, sujoop said:

Placing a lot of faith in Trump  and an untested Aegis ballistic missile defense system while risking tens of thousands of lives plus ongoing fallout, is this wise?

How US could stop a North Korean missile

While Aegis has been successful in intercepting ballistic missiles during tests, it has not been used to take out one in combat.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/14/politics/us-north-korea-aegis-ballistic-missile-defense/

Some comments on the subject which resonate:

"Kims got the military ability to kill over 35000 US Troops and millions of SK in Seoul in minutes "

"So basically whether or not the world can avoid war between two nations armed with nuclear weapons is going to be determined by the statesmanship of Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un. Good to know."

"What could go wrong? Two hot-headed, low-info imbeciles with massive ego problems? Oh, and they have nuclear weapons?"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-north-korea-climbing-escalation-ladder-214052550.html

Think the Prez does have military advisers as to what is what...

Depending on how Trump's already record low approval #s go (only rose from 39 to 42 after Syria + MOAB) Trump may need a bigger booster shot and soon (as his #s are slipping again):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#polls

Caveat: The above concern does not apply to those who actually believe Trump never acts rashly or to distract and is not bothered about having the lowest job approval #s in history, or by comments about small hands, or losing the popular vote, or low inauguration turnout, or investigations of ties with Putin (etc, etc, etc...)

Unfortunately the REALITY is almost anything can set man-child Trump off (plus he's always seeking to distract) and now he's up against another man-child (with nukes). Thus, please forgive if some may be just a wee bit concerned.... Hopefully XI can reign in the NK man-child with a complex before the man-child with a complex in the WH orders a pre-emptive strike.

1 minute ago, sujoop said:

Depending on how Trump's already record low approval #s go (only rose from 39 to 42 after Syria + MOAB) Trump may need a bigger booster shot and soon (as his #s are slipping again):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html#polls

Caveat: The above concern does not apply to those who actually believe Trump never acts rashly or to distract and is not bothered about having the lowest job approval #s in history, or by comments about small hands, or losing the popular vote, or low inauguration turnout, or investigations of ties with Putin (etc, etc, etc...)

Unfortunately the REALITY is almost anything can set man-child Trump off (plus he's always seeking to distract) and now he's up against another man-child (with nukes). Thus, please forgive if some may be just a wee bit concerned.... Hopefully XI can reign in the NK man-child with a complex before the man-child with a complex in the WH orders a pre-emptive strike.

Think you are over reacting a bit...

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A North Korean missile "blew up almost immediately"

7 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Yes they might be tied to onto the next missile launch :passifier:

Quit visions of the Doctor Stranglove movie are dancing in my head. My dream last night had carrot top sending in the seals and rousting Kim ill dung out of bed and spiriting him out of North Korea to the Carl Vinson. Then they strapped him to a outbound rocket aimed at North Korea. Then they wrote on the rocket "To the citizens of North Korea you are now free. Here is your ex-leader back slightly worse for wear" Hit the button maestro. 

Note that China and Russia are backing away from this issue. Sure, they have made the usual conciliatory statements, but they are no longer making threats. I think that these 2 critical nations to world peace are embarrassed by Nth Korea and worried also about the nuclear ramifications so close to their borders. In a subtle way it is a shy nod to the US to go ahead and face the brunt of the Nth Korean response in the short term. Thousands will die but the threat will totally be removed as long as US does not put boots on ground in Nth Korea. China will assume control with Russia also having some input. That's my opinion and if it does not happen in the next year, I will post an apology. Besides baboon and Ilostmypassport and one other rabid Nth Korean government supporters, who will place a bet with me? 

If you are saying that the US will launch some sort of missile or other attack on N. Korea resulting in the deaths of thousands of Koreans (North or South), then yes, I will have a bet with you.

Care to put a time limit on your prediction / settlement date of the bet, say, 6 months from today?

Trump will talk / tweet up a storm but do nothing. Trump is just grandstanding, playing to the crowd as a "strong" American president. Trump's guiding light is pure self-interest.

The missile blew up near the launch pad, darn, to bad that it did not destroy the pad.    I enjoy hearing about these failures, and I hope fat boy is gone soon, China has the means to get rid of him, so does most of the big countries of the world.  What are they all waiting for,

that is what I do not understand

Geezer