Singha Light now 4.5% alcohol

Guderian

9 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I’ve been back in Britain for the last month and will return to Thailand in 10 days and  I haven’t been much bothered about the loss of my favourite Thai beer.

So may I ask people who were drinking the 3.5% alcohol Singha Light before what they have switched to since the alcohol content went up to 4.5%?

• - did you stick with the new, less light Singha Light?
  • -did you switch to another lightish beer like Tiger Light?
  • -did you take to watering down the beer with something like lemonade or ice to reduce its strength?
  • -did you give up on Light beers and change to a standard strength 5% beer, but maybe a lowish calorie content one like San Mig Light?
  • -did you give up drinking beer?

I’m curious as perhaps somebody has found a good alternative to the old beer and they’d let us share it?

Thanks.

For me there are still a few places still selling the original light so I stick with that. I know only 1 friend who drinks the new light, I had 1 bottle thought it was awful so I drink original Singha or Tiger but I was surprised I had some Chang recently and it wasn't so bad. I want  a lower alcohol beer which tastes ok, Tiger light is disgusting but still 4.1%. Hopefully the Singha corporation realises they made a mistake.

Edited by sandrabbit

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

For me there are still a few places still selling the original light so I stick with that. I know only 1 friend who drinks the new light, I had 1 bottle thought it was awful so I drink original Singha or Tiger but I was surprised I had some Chang recently and it wasn't so bad. I want  a low alcohol beer which tastes ok, Tiger light is disgusting but still 4.1%. Hopefully the Singha corporation realises they made a mistake.

About 50 yards from my house. We have a wonderful 'sit own and drink' place just up the road. they sell Chang, Leo, U beer, and Singha.Now i dont care about the ubv or how much i can consume,before i am over the limit. I walk home..You guys have to worry about how much the level of booze is in your system,re singh light  being 3.5 or 4.5.I am glad i dont have your problems.

1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

About 50 yards from my house. We have a wonderful 'sit own and drink' place just up the road. they sell Chang, Leo, U beer, and Singha.Now i dont care about the ubv or how much i can consume,before i am over the limit. I walk home..You guys have to worry about how much the level of booze is in your system,re singh light  being 3.5 or 4.5.I am glad i dont have your problems.

Dave I drink too much and drinking Singha light I would get tipsy instead of drunk. I'm not an alcoholic but i admit i have a drink problem, when I get up I just want to drink tea and drink more tea than beer. You are missing the point of the thread, I can walk across the road and drink anything I want to but some of us are trying to get out of one of Thailand's attractions - drinking too much.

14 hours ago, sandrabbit said:

Dave I drink too much and drinking Singha light I would get tipsy instead of drunk. I'm not an alcoholic but i admit i have a drink problem, when I get up I just want to drink tea and drink more tea than beer. You are missing the point of the thread, I can walk across the road and drink anything I want to but some of us are trying to get out of one of Thailand's attractions - drinking too much.

Hi sandrabbit

Yeah, it was easily misunderstood. It was really only regarding the guys that drive out to bars that they like.In the village we dont have bars as such. There are Karaoke bars on the main streets, or towards town, but i never frequent them because as soon as they see my face, the beer goes up to 120 baht for a big bottle. I refuse to pay it, out of principle.We have shops dotted about the village, that have chairs and tables, and a few of us get together and the owner will often put on a bit of music.The beer is 50 b for a big one.Sometimes we will split a bottle of Hong Thong between us ( i cant drink Sam Song,it makes me argumentative) A 5th (70 cl) of HT is 280 b, and that's between the guys, the girls dont drink HT.They mainly drink 'SPY'

But the point is, that i can walk home, safe from little gangs of Thai thugs, or drunken Russians on the steps of the 7. Now, this must sound very mundane, but if i want a bar,girl's,loud music and a pool table, me and my 'present wife' Mrs Kaen, get the bus into KK and visit the soi bars, play pool and make a bit of noise.We do it once a month.We stay overnight, and home in the morning by 12 noon.

I can understand about the problem as opposed to the habit, i was like that at one time. Its not easy to stop it.But i did, for 3 months, i lost 8 kilo's. Dont get me wrong, i still like a drink, but the problem has not returned with the vengeance that i thought it would.

I dont drink Singha, i dont like it. As for the light beer, it tastes insipid.

My main point was the drink driving thing. Never done it at home or here.

Hope your problem remains a mild one.

KKD:smile:

On 06/05/2017 at 6:20 PM, sandrabbit said:

A friend got a phone call from the Singha publicity department after sending them an email asking the reasons why they changed  Singha Light. It seems they did a survey and people said the alcohol content was too low, I presume the survey was conducted amongst Thai and didn't include any foreigners. When he tried to tell the caller that so many of his friends (us expats) really liked the beer because of the lower alcohol content she just said she wasn't management and he had the same reply when stating it was pointless having 2 beers similar in alcohol content. It's game over so I'll drink something else other than the new Singha light when the places I frequent have run out. I was also told a friend bought 18 cases of Singha light cans from Makro because he likes it so much.

Is that the most ridiculous thing ever? Did they consult people when launching a light beer too? :P I mean, the idea is you provide a lower alcohol content beer for customers that want that. The people that say 'it's too low' ... well, drink the regular Singha then! Crazy.

What has been going on with the beer in Thailand recently, Singha with the 'large' bottles being a bit smaller, is that still the case? Chang reduced their (frankly too high for me) alcohol volume too.

I was under the impression it was all related to taxes on booze or something?

On 6/4/2017 at 10:28 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

What did you think of the U beer?

Another from Boon Rawd. I thought taste was okay but too fizzy.

14 hours ago, George Feedback said:

I quite like it.I usually have one with dinner, and i dont find that the fizz has an adverse effect.All in all, i like it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not bad. I've found out that if you drink it directly compared to Leo it tastes quite sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, Guderian said:

I’ve been back in Britain for the last month and will return to Thailand in 10 days and  I haven’t been much bothered about the loss of my favourite Thai beer.

So may I ask people who were drinking the 3.5% alcohol Singha Light before what they have switched to since the alcohol content went up to 4.5%?

• -did you take to watering down the beer with something like lemonade or ice to reduce its strength?
  • -did you give up on Light beers and change to a standard strength 5% beer, but maybe a lowish calorie content one like San Mig Light?

I’m curious as perhaps somebody has found a good alternative to the old beer and they’d let us share it?

Thanks.

Tried the new light and stopped drinking it, only drink Tiger light as a last resort, try mixing Leo with soda water, no too bad and if you go 50/50 alc is down to 2.5% I guess and the water keeps you hydrated, hopefully light beers will return and flourish with all the new enforcements coming in for drink driving and the recent health craze in Thailand, would never consider giving up beer, what a silly question :)

Had a day on Tiger Light yesterday in Pattaya, no problems, pity that bars oop North don't seem able to get large ones from the wholesalers. I know you can get small ones from shops but at home I would rather have a cup of tea, not had a beer in the fridge for years.

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, Guderian said:

Thanks.

1) No

2) Would do if the bars here sold it.

3) Have mixed it with soda water a few times, will definitely do it again.

4) Reverted to Leo but the 5% left me rough in the morning after a few.

5) No but I am definitely drinking less.

Curious? Me too. If I was in Bangkok or Pattaya I would pay the price for English Bitter (well I have done already) with the reduced amount I am drinking lately the difference in price is bearable.

The brewery no longer seem to respond to emails asking how sales of the new compare to sales of the old and when

they plan on re-introducing the 3.5%.

Anyone else??

I remember when Sing lite first came out, it was like a gift from God. There wasn't any low alcohol lager in the Kingdom.

For those who preferred a slow and steady pace, it really hit the spot. In my mind, no other beer, watered down, iced down or soda added etc ever came close....it was such a clean beer, no after taste or sore head the following day and so on.....

Moving it to 4.5 must be for locals as I doubt very many ever drank the 3.5% original version, that was why it was always so difficult to find. Strong equals good right in their minds !!

I very much doubt that it will ever revert back.

Are there really no other new alternatives out now of a similar strength? Help needed........

I don't know why anyone would change from their regular 5%abv to Singha Light 4.5, it is possibly a bit cheaper. But I don't see it in places that didn't carry it before. Round here 3 used to keep it, now only 1 does and I don't see him selling much.

No I do not see the 3.5 being re-introduced, Tiger light still being the only alternative and I do not know of many here that keep it. Plenty in Bangkok and Pattaya though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...