Guderian

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Totally hacked off about this.

I always drink Singha Light - the bars I frequent get it in for me - lent 2 cases to my favourite local a couple of weeks ago so not long and its run out!!!!

Will have to try and get used to Tiger light I guess.

I am NOT amused.:sad:

17 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

I think it is the difference between % by volume and % by weight. Which is which is beyond me but there is a difference.

Both the pictured labels are showing by volume. I really hope Singha haven't shot themselves in the foot by increasing the alcohol levels.

17 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

"Light" beer isn't about low alcohol, it means low calorie. But most beer-loving macho men would have a hard time asking for a "diet beer."

In nearly all beers the majority of calories come from alcohol not carbohydrate  (though chemically alcohol IS a carbohydrate, most people outside biochemistry don't call it that)- alcohol 7 calories per gram, sugars about 4 cal per gram. Most beers 60 to 95% of calories come from alcohol.

I would hazard a guess that Singha light is made by the easiest of the four methods of making light beer - adding more water to the regular beer.  Beer that has no taste to start with like Singha responds very well to simple dilution. Easy to make your own therefore (140mls water per 330ml bottle Singha regular). Got to love that "non-beer " taste.

"In the United States, a light beer is a style of beer that has a significantly lower amount of calories than a comparable full-calorie version. Because the alcohol content contributes the majority of calories in beer, light beers are almost always lower in alcohol than their comparable full-calorie, full-strength variants on a similar style. As a reference, alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram. [...]

There are four main methods of making light beer. The first method is the easiest and involves dilution of a regular-strength beer with water until the desired alcohol and calorie content are achieved for a light beer.[...]

Most experts agree that the success of light beer in the US market is caused by a combination of factors, including a very light “non-beer” taste"

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/U6QcLmncMP/light-beer/

Edited by partington

In nearly all beers the majority of calories come from alcohol not carbohydrate  (though chemically alcohol IS a carbohydrate, most people outside biochemistry don't call it that)- alcohol 7 calories per gram, sugars about 4 cal per gram. Most beers 60 to 95% of calories come from alcohol.

I would hazard a guess that Singha light is made by the easiest of the four methods of making light beer - adding more water to the regular beer.  Beer that has no taste to start with like Singha responds very well to simple dilution. Easy to make your own therefore (140mls water per 330ml bottle Singha regular). Got to love that "non-beer " taste.

"In the United States, a light beer is a style of beer that has a significantly lower amount of calories than a comparable full-calorie version. Because the alcohol content contributes the majority of calories in beer, light beers are almost always lower in alcohol than their comparable full-calorie, full-strength variants on a similar style. As a reference, alcohol contains 7 calories per gram, and carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram. [...]
There are four main methods of making light beer. The first method is the easiest and involves dilution of a regular-strength beer with water until the desired alcohol and calorie content are achieved for a light beer.[...]

Most experts agree that the success of light beer in the US market is caused by a combination of factors, including a very light “non-beer” taste"

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/U6QcLmncMP/light-beer/

Yes it depends on the country or region what is defined as light beer.
In the US, and it also seems Thailand adapted this definition, light beer means slightly reduced in alcohol and calories.
However I guess there might be no law in Thailand when you can call a beer light.
In Germany light beer means reduced alcohol content between 2,5 and 4 vol%.
However the market share is small as less then 1%.
Actually it is easier to find alcohol-free beer than light beer.
The local breweries in my province also stopped their production of light beer many year ago in favour of alcohol-free beer.

5 hours ago, faraday said:

Can you explain what Alcohol % means & also Alcohol by volume?

Was Gay Luasac (sp) really gay? :laugh:

First Q is actually serious. :smile:

Thanks

Alcohol % means number of grams of alcohol per 100ml of beer.  Alcohol by volume means number of ml of alcohol per 100ml of beer.  

Alcohol is lighter than  water (1ml water weighs 1g, 1 ml of alcohol weighs ~0.79g)  

So a beer that is 5% alcohol by volume contains  3.95g alcohol per 100ml beer, and a beer that is 5% alcohol by weight contains 5g alcohol per 100ml of beer. 

Beer strength on labels is usually expressed as % by volume. 

Interesting. Will have to check it out. I enjoy Singha Light. IMO it is the best Thai brew now as Chang and Singha and U suck. Leo is OK. Don't mind the higher alcohol content, but hope it still retains it's crisp and refreshing taste. :burp:

On 17/04/2017 at 8:22 PM, HerbalEd said:

If you drink the same number of bottles, you're still consuming the same amount of alcohol, no matter how much you dilute the beer with melted ice.

Exactly.

Dilute your beer to shandy or your whisky with water or ice -- it is still the same amount of alcohol in your blood.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:15 PM, HerbalEd said:

"Light" beer isn't about low alcohol, it means low calorie. But most beer-loving macho men would have a hard time asking for a "diet beer."

Light beer can be about low alcohol, can also mean low calories.

Singha Light 3.5% has about two thirds of the calories of Thai 5% beers.

4 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Singha light has disappeared from the shelves of our local 7/11 & Tesco Express, maybe time to buy a few cases from Makro.

Reading this thread and thought I would try a Singha Light the other day, but nowhere to be found at my local 7/11 stores. Beer Lao has also disappeared. The replacements seem to be large cans of Cheers which for me is the worst beer I have ever had in Thailand.

2 hours ago, kkerry said:

Reading this thread and thought I would try a Singha Light the other day, but nowhere to be found at my local 7/11 stores. Beer Lao has also disappeared. The replacements seem to be large cans of Cheers which for me is the worst beer I have ever had in Thailand.

Try Archa, cheap but ok.

On 17/04/2017 at 11:22 PM, HerbalEd said:

If you drink the same number of bottles, you're still consuming the same amount of alcohol, no matter how much you dilute the beer with melted ice.

I realise that .. reread, it says percentage per glass not AMOUNT of alcohol !!

On 20/04/2017 at 4:51 PM, Patanawet said:

Exactly.

Dilute your beer to shandy or your whisky with water or ice -- it is still the same amount of alcohol in your blood.

True, but the more water added to the drink the lower the percentage of alcohol per glass that you are drinking from. I did not mention amount of alcohol in original post.

It was a joke joice!

Bought a bottle of Singha light yesterday at the new supermarket at Union Mall BKK.
However it was just available in big bottle which leads the concept of light ad absurdum.
Because then I can also just drink a small bottle or can and have consumed same amount of alcohol and calories.
Alcohol content stated on the bottle 3,5%

On 17/04/2017 at 11:15 PM, HerbalEd said:

Yes it is. It's about drink driving. That's why they were invented.

Low carb beer is just marketing. People on low carb diets shouldnt be drinking alcohol at all.

On 20/04/2017 at 4:51 PM, Patanawet said:

Exactly.

Takes longer to drink if greater volume which slows the absorption.

6 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Takes longer to drink if greater volume which slows the absorption.

Which may help you drink less beer. If you still drink the same number of beers it means you still consume the same volume of alcohol.

Any further sightings of the 4.5 abv?? Or is this just a wind-up??

27 minutes ago, rott said:

Which may help you drink less beer. If you still drink the same number of beers it means you still consume the same volume of alcohol.

Any further sightings of the 4.5 abv?? Or is this just a wind-up??

People drink until full

The new Singha light has hit Ban Phe Rayong, it was in Kon Ao guesthouse on Mae Rhumpueng beach. I had 1 and didn't like it as it reminded me of the old colt 45 in the UK with a rye taste but not as strong. Will not drink it again, will drink regular Singha instead so if this replaces the light they have shot themselves in the foot again. Looks like there's going to be a scramble to buy 3.5% Singha light here, off to Makro tomorrow. 

On 4/17/2017 at 3:40 PM, natway09 said:

1 beer,,,,,, 1 water 

problem solved

Doesn't work :(

Also tried mixing with soda. Not good.

Sure hope the old sing' light will survive somehow.

Edited by jackTheRipper