Singha Light now 4.5% alcohol

Guderian

19 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Having 5 shandys has less impact than 5 full strengths.

It's not rocket science.

If you mean 1 litre of beer  plus 1 litre of sprite/whatever is weaker than 2 litres of beer, that is self-evident and does not require stating. 

Your statement that "People drink until they are full" is at best ambiguous and certainly inaccurate.

"Full" meaning inebriated, as in Scotland or Ireland.? People do not always drink until inebriated.

"Full" meaning no room for more.? I have no experience of everybody drinking until bloated.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, rott said:

If you mean 1 litre of beer  plus 1 litre of sprite/whatever is weaker than 2 litres of beer, that is self-evident and does not require stating. 

Your statement that "People drink until they are full" is at best ambiguous and certainly inaccurate.

"Full" meaning inebriated, as in Scotland or Ireland.? People do not always drink until inebriated.

"Full" meaning no room for more.? I have no experience of everybody drinking until bloated.

Where does thirst come from? Lack of liquid. More liquid means thirst dies down. Alcohol also warms the body so consuming lower amounts makes sense in hot climates. Getting drunk at midday in 35 degrees is an awful feeling.

I'm at a loss as to what's happening here. It wasn't a wind-up, the photo in the OP is genuine and shows the necks of the 'old' and 'new' Singha Light bottles. I made my displeasure at the increased alcohol content known to the bar staff who then put aside all the old bottles for me. They've evidently had a delivery of more cases of the 'old' Singha Light as there's been no shortage of it and I have a drink there most days. The new version with the blue neck foil hasn't been offered again. The Book Rawd brewery website also shows only the old version, though Thai websites are seldom up to date so it may not mean anything.

'

4 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Where does thirst come from? Lack of liquid. More liquid means thirst dies down. Alcohol also warms the body so consuming lower amounts makes sense in hot climates. Getting drunk at midday in 35 degrees is an awful feeling.

1. People drink for other reasons than being thirsty, among others to taste what they are drinking.

2. Alcohol does not warm the body, this is a myth. Alcohol has no effect on core body temperature, but causes blood vessels in the skin to expand, causing a brief illusory feeling of warmth.

If the surrounding temperature is cooler than body temperature even by one degree, this means your body will actually lose heat quicker because the blood vessels on the surface are more exposed.  This is why if you drink alcohol while trapped in a snowdrift you will die quicker of hypothermia, but also will get cooler if sitting in a breeze or aircon in the tropics.

Three places here keep it in for a few of us. The owner of one has a brain so I have asked him to up his stock level a bit just in case. The other two order it when they remember so no point.

Went to Makro yesterday, no Singha Light on the shelves so I presume it's going to disappear. There are a few bars still selling it but I presume once their stocks are gone it's over - sigh. 

Went to Makro yesterday, no Singha Light on the shelves so I presume it's going to disappear. There are a few bars still selling it but I presume once their stocks are gone it's over - sigh. 

Would make sense in the policy of Thai breweries to slim their portfolio.
Just take Chang Beer as example and what they did a year ago or so.
Let's hope it's only a distribution or production shortage.
I tried it yesterday for the first time and found it good, though slightly sweet.
Usually I drink Leo, and if available Federbräu. New U Beer and Beerlao also not bad.
Does anyone know why there's no listing of the ingredients on the beer bottle or is it written in Thai?

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Would make sense in the policy of Thai breweries to slim their portfolio.
Just take Chang Beer as example and what they did a year ago or so.
Let's hope it's only a distribution or production shortage.
I tried it yesterday for the first time and found it good, though slightly sweet.
Usually I drink Leo, and if available Federbräu. New U Beer and Beerlao also not bad.
Does anyone know why there's no listing of the ingredients on the beer bottle or is it written in Thai?

I  liked Chang draught and really liked the export and then they stopped making it ....

I tried the Tiger light and I think its awful, if the demographics from amongst my friends are repeated countrywide then there are going to be a lot of Singha light customers who are disappointed.

I  liked Chang draught and really liked the export and then they stopped making it ....
I tried the Tiger light and I think its awful, if the demographics from amongst my friends are repeated countrywide then there are going to be a lot of Singha light customers who are disappointed.

Chang Export was my favourite, too

21 hours ago, CLW said:

Try cutting it with a little lime, like San Miguel Light. It works for me anyway.

On 4/27/2017 at 7:43 AM, Nurseynutcase said:

I have contacted the Singha brewery about this increase in alcohol% - I await their reply.

But i am not holding out much hope of a reply though!!!!

That makes two of us.

4 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I saw a bottle of beer called 'U' the other day, is it new, or what, its made by Sing ha, i was told. Is it new.Its 5 % by the way

Yes it's been out for a few months. It's OK, no better or worse than most of the others. Better than Chang.

On 29/04/2017 at 1:47 PM, sandrabbit said:

Ditto in the Pattaya Makro today. It seems that the 3.5% version is history. OTOH they didn't have any of the new one either. A shame, it's certainly not a great beer, even by the low standards of Thai beer, but it's arguably the most sensible beer in this country. Maybe that's why they've apparently discontinued it?

7 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Ditto in the Pattaya Makro today. It seems that the 3.5% version is history. OTOH they didn't have any of the new one either. A shame, it's certainly not a great beer, even by the low standards of Thai beer, but it's arguably the most sensible beer in this country. Maybe that's why they've apparently discontinued it?

I agree it was a sensible beer, instead of getting drunk I would get tipsy. I don't see any point to calling the new version 'light' when it's 4.5% and the normal Singha is 5% plus as it doesn't taste very nice I would buy the standard beer.

15 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I agree it was a sensible beer, instead of getting drunk I would get tipsy. I don't see any point to calling the new version 'light' when it's 4.5% and the normal Singha is 5% plus as it doesn't taste very nice I would buy the standard beer.

For years I drank San Mig Light due to its low calorie count. But a few years ago a German guy who drinks in the same bar in the late afternoon and who also drank SML and drove his car got done for DUI. It cost him a lot of money and he uses motorbike taxis now. I realised that I was at risk of the same thing, even just drinking three beers, so I bought a breathalyser and found that I'm just on the 50 mg border after three Singha Lights. That was it for me, no more 5% beer and just about zero risk of getting done for drink driving. I also found over time that I quite liked the beer, so I started drinking it at home as well as when I'm out. It must be better for your liver than the 5% beer, as long as you drink the same number of bottles or cans.

Edited by Guderian

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I started drinking it at home as well as when I'm out. It must be better for your liver than the 5% beer, as long as you drink the same number of bottles or cans.

Never realised that drinking alcohol was good for your liver, especially not when drinking all day every day, so thanks for the heads up.

The 4.5% abv has now appeared in my local BigC. Still a few of the old ones left but as said above it is now a thing of the past.

Strange decision.

Possibly it is now time to generally cut down on drinking, I do not want to go back to serious hangovers.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

Adding lemonade to a Light beer isn't going to do your waistline much good.

plus I haven't seen the correct lemonade to make a shandy for sale in Thailand, sprite etc is too sweet it needs a sharp lemon taste.

plus I haven't seen the correct lemonade to make a shandy for sale in Thailand, sprite etc is too sweet it needs a sharp lemon taste.

Maybe one of the two Schweppes lemonade.
But I never tried to mix it

I have tried contacting Boown Rawd in the past via email with no response what so ever, however when I could get no response from the email I went to their Facebook page and sent a message there, I got a response in a day or so.

Edited by Pungdo

6 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I have tried contacting Boown Rawd in the past via email with no response what so ever, however when I could get no response from the email I went to their Facebook page and sent a message there, I got a response in a day or so.

Probably better to send a letter to General Prayut, who professes to be concerned about excessive alcohol consumption in Thailand and especially drink driving. So why are they doing away with the lowest alcohol beer made here? Answers on a postcard please to...

My wife got a result today. she got me 2 cases of Singha light 3.5% from Makro Rayong on highway 36. They had already run out in Makro Ban Phe so it was a stroke of luck she went today.

On 4/17/2017 at 6:33 PM, tonboy said:

maybe you should consider not to drink at all when you are planning to drive with your car. Or consider not to drive after drinking. Drinking alcohol ALWAYS effect your brains and how you react to certain circumstances on the road. It is already crazy enough on the roads with people that not even had a Lager .
"so I can have three bottles with my mates in the afternoon and still not be over the 50 mg DUI limit when driving home." WHAATT? only worried about the limit not about the effects of alcohol ? In Western countries the limit is zero or close to zero (max 1 beer most of them). And then complaining the traffic is dangerous in Thailand ?   

Scotland recently reduced the limit to 50 mg, from 80 mg, which I believe is still the limit in England.