Singha Light now 4.5% alcohol

Guderian

I drink Singha Light as it's only 3.5% alcohol, so I can have three bottles with my mates in the afternoon and still not be over the 50 mg DUI limit when driving home. As I enjoy a beer in the evening as well it's better for my liver that I drink this light beer rather than the usual 5%(+) brews made in Thailand.

So yesterday afternoon the service lady brought me a Singha Light as usual, but it this was evidently a new design of labeling as it now has a bright blue band around the neck of the bottle. Sensible, I thought, as it's now very easy to tell apart from standard Singha whereas the old labeling was almost identical.

Then I noticed that the neck label says that it's 4.5% alcohol, no longer 3.5%. I hope you can make out the alcohol content of the oldIMG_20170415_163947.thumb.jpg.b41acdab2ffe51822be83e0462bf0c4b.jpg and new bottles on the attached photo. That makes it almost a full-strength Thai beer and I may as well switch to San Mig Light as it tastes much better and isn't as fattening. So if you too drink Singha Light because of its relatively low alcohol content then beware, it's no longer a light beer.

Tiger Light is 4.1% alcohol, are there any other moderate alcohol Thai beers around, in the 3%-4% range?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was drinking Singha light last night and still 3.5% and its still 3.5% in the supermarkets here in Rayong, where are you buying it?. I tried the Tiger light the other night, not very nice. I have a lot of friends who drink Singha light because of the alcohol level so will be disappointed that they've put the alcohol content up.

Bugger, I drink Singha Light almost exclusively because of the lower alcohol content, why the hell would they go and do that, especially now that the BiB have gotten serious about drink driving, not at all happy about the change.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The Singha website states it's neither 3.5% or 4.5%, but 4%.  But then it also claims it's "low calorie", which seems improbable.

Thai language only:  http://singha.com/singhalight/home.html

Or in the case of San Mig Light, Low Carb as it is still 5% alcohol, I have been on a Low Carb W.O.E. for around 18 months but have stuck with the Singha Light because of the Low Alcohol, plus I can't stand San Mig Light.

I bought a large bottle of Singa Light today in Big C & it's still 3.5% (as per the label). UNfortunately due to Big C's wonderful stock control system there has been no small bottles or cans available for about a week.

I did try Tiger Light and found it absolutely tasteless. I do hope that Singa continue to produce the 3.5% light as I prefer the lower alcohol content & it's not a bad beer.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The Singha website states it's neither 3.5% or 4.5%, but 4%.  But then it also claims it's "low calorie", which seems improbable.

Thai language only:  http://singha.com/singhalight/home.html

You can't get more Thai than that. The company says 4 while there are only bottles showing 3.5 and 4-5. The usual shambles. It really shouldn't be too difficult, should it, for the left hand to know what the right is doing :unsure:

maybe you should consider not to drink at all when you are planning to drive with your car. Or consider not to drive after drinking. Drinking alcohol ALWAYS effect your brains and how you react to certain circumstances on the road. It is already crazy enough on the roads with people that not even had a Lager .
"so I can have three bottles with my mates in the afternoon and still not be over the 50 mg DUI limit when driving home." WHAATT? only worried about the limit not about the effects of alcohol ? In Western countries the limit is zero or close to zero (max 1 beer most of them). And then complaining the traffic is dangerous in Thailand ?   

33 minutes ago, tonboy said:

maybe you should consider not to drink at all when you are planning to drive with your car. Or consider not to drive after drinking. Drinking alcohol ALWAYS effect your brains and how you react to certain circumstances on the road. It is already crazy enough on the roads with people that not even had a Lager .
"so I can have three bottles with my mates in the afternoon and still not be over the 50 mg DUI limit when driving home." WHAATT? only worried about the limit not about the effects of alcohol ? In Western countries the limit is zero or close to zero (max 1 beer most of them). And then complaining the traffic is dangerous in Thailand ?   

Funny that quote about limits in western countries, here is a list of countries with a 0.05% BAC limit for drivers (not including probationary drivers)
Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Bulgaria Canada Costa Rica Croatia Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Israel Italy Latvia Luxembourg Macedonia Netherlands New Zealand Peru Philippines Portugal Scotland Slovenia South Africa Spain Switzerland Thailand Taiwan Turkey

and interestingly 0.08% for these

Canada England and Wales Malaysia Malta Mexico New Zealand Norway Northern Ireland Puerto Rico Singapore Trinidad and Tobago United States

31 minutes ago, marquis22 said:

Yep, or add ice to make the alcohol per glass drank a lower percentage.   :burp:

The longer you take to drink the glass the lower the alcohol percentage :drunk:

Hmm, when i add ice to the beer, i have to drink it fast, otherwise it gets undrinkable. I prefer to cool it down to half frozen (Thais call it "wun").

6 minutes ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

Funny that quote about limits in western countries, here is a list of countries with a 0.05% BAC limit for drivers (not including probationary drivers)
Argentina Australia Austria Belgium Bulgaria Canada Costa Rica Croatia Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Hong Kong Iceland Ireland Israel Italy Latvia Luxembourg Macedonia Netherlands New Zealand Peru Philippines Portugal Scotland Slovenia South Africa Spain Switzerland Thailand Taiwan Turkey

Canada England and Wales Malaysia Malta Mexico New Zealand Norway Northern Ireland Puerto Rico Singapore Trinidad and Tobago United States

Switzerland  went down to 0.05% in 2005, but you are right about the funny quote from Tonboy, zero or near zero in most western countries is completely wrong.

1 hour ago, Lt Frank Bullitt said:

Canada England and Wales Malaysia Malta Mexico New Zealand Norway Northern Ireland Puerto Rico Singapore Trinidad and Tobago United Bulgary HongaryTsjechie have zero tolerance, Norway, Poland and Sweden 0,2 promille.  0,5 promille is only 1 glass of beer. 2 glasses of beer or more, is already above the limit for Belgium, Bulgarie, Denmark, France, Finland, Greece and Iceland. 

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

In many countries the " light" only means less calories and many light beers are 4-5% but not sure if Thailand is following that route but perhaps it is now. 

"Light" originally was applied to Light Ale, distinguishing it from Pale Ale. The term "light" referred to it being "light in alcohol", Pale Ale being a stronger brew.

1 hour ago, swissbie said:

Switzerland  went down to 0.05% in 2005, but you are right about the funny quote from Tonboy, zero or near zero in most western countries is completely wrong.

Switzerland has Zero percent policy for people with less than 3 years driving experience.

Also Zero percent are all the Eastern countries, Germany in certain cases,  and plenty of European countries with 0.02 level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_law_by_country

Edited by janclaes47

4 hours ago, alex8912 said:

In many countries the " light" only means less calories and many light beers are 4-5% but not sure if Thailand is following that route but perhaps it is now. 

Exactly. It was a smart marketing guy who thought to call low-calorie beer "light beer" instead of "diet beer." No self-respecting bar-stool jockey or easy-chair drunk would be caught asking for a diet beer. Diet Coke is fine, but definitely not diet beer. 555

2 hours ago, lungnorm said:

4.5% alcohol is not light beer. 

"Light" beer isn't about low alcohol, it means low calorie. But most beer-loving macho men would have a hard time asking for a "diet beer."

2 hours ago, tonboy said:

There is no law that says you have to drink alcohol in a bar.  Soda water or a soft drink has no alcohol but you still have a drink in front of you.  But soda water has no poison in it as well.  That is, no sugar.  But if you only drink soda water leave a decent tip to pay the rent for the space you are taking up.  

2 hours ago, marquis22 said:

Yep, or add ice to make the alcohol per glass drank a lower percentage.   :burp:

The longer you take to drink the glass the lower the alcohol percentage :drunk:

If you drink the same number of bottles, you're still consuming the same amount of alcohol, no matter how much you dilute the beer with melted ice.

2 hours ago, tonboy said:

And that's the word of the Lord!

The next meeting of the salvation army is in the William Boothe hotel on soi 6 sunday at 10.30 am. Tambourines and soap boxes optional.

By the way, the dry cleaners called and said your uniform will be ready on Friday.

Lighten up man, you aint never gonna change it.

Supplies of Singha Light dried up in all our local shops last week, I had a look at the new stock and it is all 3.5% with the white top and the same price. Do the blue topped bottles cost more than ฿51 ?

Thailand is rarely consistent in anything other than being inconsistent. TIT.